• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Jakibaki and crew over at GBATemp released the first Switch streaming application yesterday. Titled "In-home-Switching", you can stream games from your PC onto your Switch. Whether they're Steam games or even emulators such as RPCS3, anything is possible now... Well, not everything. The joycons emulate a 360 controller so games without mouse support won't work straight off the bat. You'll have to use the Steam controller API if you want to play games with M+KB support. Only works with Windows 10 at the moment.

Honestly this is really impressive considering no NVDEC. All software which is nuts! General thoughts on it have been really positive. Input lag isn't too bad and general feel is great. However audio isn't working right now. I'm hoping the team can get this fixed soon. For a first release though, it's amazing!

Ever since I picked up the Switch, I was hoping we'd finally get a streaming app so I wouldn't have to use my Vita + Moonlight. I prefer the Switch's form factor and joycons are simply amazing.

The devs have the following features planned for future releases

• Stream PC audio to Switch
  • Option to disable Switch Overclocking
  • MacOS and Linux Support
  • Showing Switch IP in-app
  • Multi-controller support
  • Mouse emulation
  • More efficient threading
  • GPU encoding on PC

20181213_201205-jpg.152121

20181213_184220-jpg.152120

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to remote play my PS4 to PC then stream that to my Switch to get some Spider-Man going :D!

Last edited:

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuck

Was just dreaming about Valve supporting the Switch with Steam Link yesterday

If I only had a second switch, I'd jump right in!

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
this is a week after Raspberry Pi's Retropie supports steam link, nice! I'll likely hack my current switch when I upgrade to a new model

How does this work?:

Through Wifi or bluetooth and how far away would you need to be from the PC? ( I'm not really tech minded when it comes to this stuff)
Wifi, range and stuff can be looked up via steam link / nvidia shield tablet reviews.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
How does this work?:

Through Wifi or bluetooth and how far away would you need to be from the PC? ( I'm not really tech minded when it comes to this stuff)
It's all Wi-Fi and depends on how good your internet is. I mean I don't have the best internet and it's running really well for me.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Oh god yes. I'm never going to use it because I can't buy a new switch just for this, but if there ever comes a day where I can do this without hacking my switch* and getting banned from Nintendo, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

*It's never going to happen

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Literally one day after I finaly gave up and update my switch and ordered an clip for my ps4 controller...

Great news still.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Wow, this is huge! I haven't hacked my Switch yet, so don't know if it will be possible in the future, but it would be great if I could do this on mine one day. *hugs Switch*

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Oh god yes. I'm never going to use it because I can't buy a new switch just for this, but if there ever comes a day where I can do this without hacking my switch* and getting banned from Nintendo, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

*It's never going to happen
I was really hoping Rainway would come through with the whole streaming app on the eShop thing. They made it known that they were developing a Switch version and predominately featured the Switch in all their trailers only to wipe all references to that from their site. The developer kinda dug themselves into a hole but I knew the thing would never come to the Switch. Shame, I guess this will have to do until Moonlight gets a native port.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome. It's such a shame Nintendo brigs the ban-hammer on everything hacked even if they never pirated anything or cheated online, but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles. Will have to wait until I no longer care if my Switch gets banned...

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I was really hoping Rainway would come through with the whole streaming app on the eShop thing. They made it known that they were developing a Switch version and predominately featured the Switch in all their trailers only to wipe all references to that from their site. The developer kinda dug themselves into a hole but I knew the thing would never come to the Switch. Shame, I guess this will have to do until Moonlight gets a native port.
You reckon Moonlight will get a port?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Whoof. Tried Spider-Man, that was ROUGH. Gonna see how MHW fares next.

You reckon Moonlight will get a port?
It's basically a matter of when. The In-home-Switching app is more of a software solution which isn't the best. As soon as someone implements nvdec for the Switch independent from Nouveau then we're good to go.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
I'm highly interested in this.

How hard is this to do? Should I get a second Switch so I can do this to avoid getting banned?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously need to buy another Switch and use the current one for this.

luqi

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm this is actually pretty interesting. If Nintendo actually ends up releasing a new Switch I might look into getting it and using my old one as a streaming device. I do miss having a PSP-like homebrewed console.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I... might need to hack my Switch now. How hard is it? I have a launch model and I believe it's on one of the 4.0 firmwares as I haven't played it for awhile.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I... might need to hack my Switch now. How hard is it? I have a launch model and I believe it's on one of the 4.0 firmwares as I haven't played it for awhile.
It's really simple. Dare I say it's way easier than the Wii. You just need an RCM jig which you can pick up off eBay for £2 and a way to connect your Switch to your PC (USB-C to USB-A).

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It's really simple. Dare I say it's way easier than the Wii. You just need an RCM jig which you can pick up off eBay for £2 and a way to connect your Switch to your PC (USB-C to USB-A).
Is there an easy to follow guide? Also, is now a good time? Last time I checked it seems like the custom firmwares were kinda all over the place.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well shit. This is what I've really wanted out of the Switch for a long time now. Too bad I'm on the latest FW.

edit: maybe not a problem?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slight correction: you should be able to play mouse/kB only games as well by using Steam Controller API!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017