• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth 16 for it and all DLC??

Im not sure If I really need to buy it but hell 16 bucksia cheap.

How did it turn out?

Edit. Homefront Revolution

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I bought it purely for the 4K Timesplitters 2 levels that are hidden in it. The game may be good too but with the X Enhancements, Digital Foundry reckon its definitely improved.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It has its issues, technical, gameplay, and story related, but if you enjoy games like Far Cry and can put up with some jank then its actually a pretty neat shooter that I had a good time with, if not a bit middling. It's a solid C+/B- kinda game, the DLC is pretty good as well.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see any of the issues in the video above - what I did experience was a game that was dripping in atmosphere. This game was hugely surprising for me.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I played a little bit of it. It has some neat ideas but it's just another Far Cry wannabe.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
I rented it last year, but never finished it due to being busy. So I picked it up on the Xbox sale with all of the DLC and I don't think you can argue for what you are getting at that price. From what I have played, it is a real gem with a lot of ambition behind it that I think can be fully realized if they get a chance to make another one. Very underrated game.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
It was probably the worst PS4 game for me (even after patches). I still can't believe I managed to finish it, the gunplay was absolute shit.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I never finished it (I got a good way through, up to the zone with the prison in it), and I wasn't really enjoying it.
My main problem with it is the whole alert system: it stops you from being able to explore the world.

It also suffers from feeling quite routine, as you go to a new area, run around getting collectables to fill up a meter and 'liberate it', then doing a story mission.

The gunplay feels a bit off too, and while the gun transformation mechanic sounds cool on paper (it's basically the Crysis gun mod thing, but you transform say a shotgun into an RPG *I can't remember what transforms to what*), when you're getting shot at, you just want to swap to a new gun- not fiddle around menus.

It's alright performance wise though, so it's playable these days.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it purely for the 4K Timesplitters 2 levels that are hidden in it. The game may be good too but with the X Enhancements, Digital Foundry reckon its definitely improved.
wait what the fuck

I liked the first Homefront a decent amount but now I have to buy the new one if this is a real thing

Please don't play with my heart like that

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
wait what the fuck

I liked the first Homefront a decent amount but now I have to buy the new one if this is a real thing

Please don't play with my heart like that

It's only Syberia and Chicago. I can't remember if they changed the control scheme, but they added a crosshair, so like how Future Perfect did it. It still had the hold a button to stand still and aim thing like normal though.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry just made a best HDR games video, Homefront looked stunning. For $16 I'll pick it up.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly despised the first one, and so was unprepared for how much I liked Revolution, which I played after the vast majority of the bugs and performance issues were ironed out on PC. The AI can be kind of dumb sometimes, the story is pure trash and practically none of the characters are likeable, and the area control via towers/collectibles thing might be rote for some people. But personally, I found it a really easy game to drop into and play for an hour or few.

I've bounced off a lot of open world games but something about Revolution was refreshingly direct and streamlined. Here's a stronghold; find out how to get in and take it over. Here's a possible hideout spot; figure out how to get in. Here's some valuable equipment; take out all the soldiers guarding it. Every activity is pretty short and satisfying to execute, and because of the way the alert system works, those activities change from area to area--you can't just blow a bunch of shit up in yellow zones because they're too locked down, so all the activities are more like clandestine sabotage and require much more stealth.

If you have other stuff to play, I wouldn't necessarily drop any of it for this. But I enjoyed my time with the game, and at $15 or less I think it's a pretty easy sell. I hear the last DLC expansion was also quite good and very different from the urban ruins of Philadelphia, but I haven't played it myself (don't own it).

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
You can pick up the physical version for under ÂŁ4 new in the UK. I'm still not sure it is worth it. There is a trial version though, OP.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
HDR doesn't fix a shitty game lol.

I remember hearing what a pile of shit it was, but when I played some of it last year I came away nothing but surprised. The crafting, weapons, vehicles, exploration and the atmosphere made for an incredibly fun experience. Looking forward to finishing it and playing all of the extra content as well.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
WHAAAT THE FUUUUCKK

HOW DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT THIS

Lol.
You need to play through a good chunk of the game first.

There's a prison with a sort of cage fight thing going on late in the game, and you need to find a guy in a hidden room. If you go upstairs instead, you'll find a TS2 arcade machine.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i keep seeing people saying the game got good but ive seen people defend freaking Kane & Lynch 2 here as some sort of underrated masterpiece, so i will keep my doubts about it.

OP
OP
LanceX2

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know what to do lol.

I got war , origina , wolf 2 , rotr , halo 5 to play still.

Oh abd evil within 2 and overwatch but 16 is cheap

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
i keep seeing people saying the game got good but ive seen people defend freaking Kane & Lynch 2 here as some sort of underrated masterpiece, so i will keep my doubts about it.

Is there a demo available?
If you don't like it after the first hour or so, nothing much changes. It definitely doesn't improve noticeably as you go through.

OP
OP
LanceX2

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and bought it because pf the HDR and 1800p DF video.

Plus I just got 42 bucks in amazon points so bought 40 code

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Game+Expansion Pass is €7.99 on Humble.
Been sniffing around it for a while, but have felt 50/50 whether I'll end up enjoying it. But now's as good a time as any to find out, I guess.
The point of that thread wasn't to defend Dog Days, excuse its flaws, or proclaim it to be a masterpiece, but rather to highlight things it does well that make it distinct. Since the price dropped to a reasonable level, it's easy to recommend to people who are interested in the whole grungy, unpleasant, relentless night of crime theme and aesthetic. The gameplay struggling to remain average doesn't nullify what makes it stand out. If you don't care for its style, that's fair, but if you do, there's some value to that game.

Looks like Homefront could also contain some redeeming qualities based on the posts in this thread.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Top Banana is incredibly distinct. Doesn't make it good or "stand out" in any sense, at least not positively. I understand the point you're trying to raise, i just have a hard time absorbing it. K&L2 is easily part of the top 5 worst games i played in my life and ive played a looot of games, tons of shovelware as well. To the point i felt personally offended when microsoft "gifted" me it as part of GWG, felt like a slap in the face

But hey, i think Homefront is on the Game Pass or have a demo (or both) so no harm in trying

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A cool parallel: remember the bit in Half-Life 2 where you finally get on the streets of City 17 with a gun and you're doing guerilla warfare with rebels?

Homefront Revolution is a lot like that gameplay snippet but turned into an entire mini-open world game.

Yeah, I really really liked Homefront Revolution.

It's very rough around the edges but it's a really great shooter, very much like an urban Far Cry but with low key Arkham + Watch Dogs stuff going on. It's 100% worth checking out.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

If people can shill for NieR Gestalt why can't we do it for these games

Kane & Lynch 2 isn't a good game though. Don't let anyone make you believe it's a good game. It's uncomfortable, it's headache inducing and an overall mess of an experience. Both literally and figuratively.

Is it a good, competent-playing experience? Fuck no.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
There was a great in depth review of it on YouTube that made it seem interesting. I should get it once there aren't so many video games to play.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A cool parallel: remember the bit in Half-Life 2 where you finally get on the streets of City 17 with a gun and you're doing guerilla warfare with rebels?

Homefront Revolution is a lot like that gameplay snippet but turned into an entire mini-open world game.
Partway through development the game, which was a linear FPS game, was rebooted and the new concept was pitched to Crytek management as "open world Half-Life". The execution of this idea is a little bit flaky in places, particularly because of how the game handles AI spawning/despawning. But when it all comes together, it is excellent. It's a good game. Even a great game -- it was certainly my favorite game of 2016 with special mention to the Beyond the Walls DLC released in 2017 -- but the troubled development is evident in the way various elements of the game don't always gel together in a coherent way. (Also in the fact they cut huge chunks of content, including basically every side mission, and the story DLC is literal hours shorter than it was supposed to be.) However, the game arguably makes up for it with incredible atmosphere and an assortment of design elements it handles quite competently. It's critical to remember that Homefront: The Revolution is essentially a successor to Crysis. It's what Crysis 2 would have been if tech limitations hadn't gotten in the way, sans nanosuit.

https://kosmonautgames.wordpress.com/2016/09/12/homefront-2-is-the-better-crysis-2/

Also, the game's weather effects are outstanding and put most of its contemporaries to shame.
HFTR_Rain_Gif.gif

I think it's a great shame that due to a botched launch resulting in a game that wasn't really "fixed" for about 5 months, the game doesn't get the credit and admiration it deserves. The hatred for the game is a meme that refuses to die.

Beware that the PS4 version of HFTR has Prey-esque input latency problems.

HDR doesn't fix a shitty game lol.
Would you mind elaborating on what makes the game "shitty"? It has its flaws -- including some extremely rare but nonetheless irritating game breaking bugs -- certainly, but the game cops a great deal of flack for relatively minor problems and issues that were fixed, literally, over a year ago.

There was a great in depth review of it on YouTube that made it seem interesting.
Noah Caldwell-Gervais made two videos covering the game and its DLC. The latter is a much tighter experience than the main campaign, at the expense of open world atmosphere/freedom. Beyond The Walls is really where it comes together, offering a mixture of well orchestrated wide linear combat encounters and linear narrative sections with a voiced protagonist. The only pity is that BtW is 1-2 hours instead of 3-4. If the game had sold better, I think the DLC would have been much more substantial, but they did their best.

Last edited: