• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what is the demographic breakdown of these shanty towns?

Does it skew younger, are there families living there or is it mostly single, is it a mix of races or does it lean towards minorities?
In my area I see a lot of younger people 20-40s. Male and female all races but a lot of white and latino. I see families panhandling but never see them in the encampments.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I think a huge market crash is about to happen. It's paint covering rust. The savings rate is atrocious, unemployment numbers aren't real, and only the wealthy can afford to buy houses. It's about to crumble. It's compounding too, if there are massive layoffs and the general population doesn't have any savings, disaster.

I'm starting to think the tax bill was a major show that the (smarter) elite know it and are just grabbing as much to shore up their legacy as possible. They want to be the Rockefellers after the crash, and not some poor shmuck that worked on Wallstreet and sees his income evaporate.

They'll make it through the storm. 98% of us won't.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my area I see a lot of younger people 20-40s. Male and female all races but a lot of white and latino. I see families panhandling but never see them in the encampments.

I sometimes wonder if a fair amount of panhandlers are just doing it for some extra dough. They wouldnt be lying if their sign just said anything helps. They essentially just hustling then.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes wonder if a fair amount of panhandlers are just doing it for some extra dough. They wouldnt be lying if their sign just said anything helps. They essentially just hustling then.
A woman who often had her children and pandhanled outside of target was posted in a crimewatch group in another city at a restaurant with all her kids and ipads driving a bmw. It defiantly happens and I feel awful for the children.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Being a homeless transplant from Massachusetts to California, I'll say at least in this area (San Diego) the services are much more available. But yeah the homeless tent population is something to see. I'll say if you are willing to seek the assistance it's more than available.

Here is to not being homeless for long, hopefully...

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being a homeless transplant from Massachusetts to California, I'll say at least in this area (San Diego) the services are much more available. But yeah the homeless tent population is something to see. I'll say if you are willing to seek the assistance it's more than available.

I hope you get it sorted! As an aside if you're willing to move again MPLS is pretty dope if you can snag even a serving job as you make $10-15 hourly plus tips, so you can snag $30-40k pretty easily. Cold as fuck though in the winter. I used to know folks who would hop trains and hitch hike here to squat in the summer. You can probably find an anarchist type house if that's your scene lol. If I were homeless that'd probably be my vibe, Minny spring through fall and Cali and the winter. As far as I know the shelters are good here too but I do know the cops shake up any encampments quickly. There's kind of a big black label bicycling club here that's basically a commune with a bunch of punk houses around.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

Good luck man. Hope things get better and stay safe.

Walras

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Land mass means nothing without investment in infrastructure to create settlements.

Even then, how would homeless people get to these locations? This is why homelessness is concentrated in metro areas. It's actually better for them since they can benefit from social services and charities, more concentrated in cities.

If cities where serious about this, they would build more housing overall, but as panicky fool mentioned, people don't want the formerly homeless living next them. It's more of local problem than a national one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like local government doesn't take care of the homeless because it would just attract more from other states.

Oct 25, 2017
Grew up in New England and lived in NYC for 12 years and now live in Washington state. Yeah the homeless problem is much worse out west. AFAIK there are wait lists and such to get into shelters out here. But yeah if I were to be homeless I'd rather be out here than back east having to deal with the cold.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Grew up in New England and lived in NYC for 12 years and now live in Washington state. Yeah the homeless problem is much worse out west. AFAIK there are wait lists and such to get into shelters out here. But yeah if I were to be homeless I'd rather be out here than back east having to deal with the cold.
Exactly the reason for my move...I can sleep under a tree here and not be a human popsicle in the morning.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though you have a country with some of the biggest land masses in the world - you would think it would be possible to build accommodation somewhere. There is also the question of addressing mental health issues of those sleeping rough. I'm guessing the percentage of those with problems is quite high.

The percentage of homeless with mental issue is not "high" just above average. Most homeless are working homeless. They have jobs, but they do not pay well enough to cover the high cost of housing (no amount of minimum wage increase would fix that). Most homeless have legitimate tires to the community they are in and no $$$ to move.

If we simply tallied the amount of vacant homes and simply said "we'll house the homeless in them," the homeless population typically has a choice between picking between two to three vacant homes.

Not true. Real vacancy rates in these cities are at negative levels (1 family per room, etc). The blame the rich yellow people for buying all the homes and keeping them empty is racist bullshit.

Starlight Glimmer

User banned for use of an alt account.
Banned
Dec 30, 2017
I'm not sure why there's so much migration to California due to it being so expensive. I'm not sure what a good solution since they're not all dangerous or mentally ill.

In my area in the southwest, you gotta keep your vehicle locked up good or it will likely be targeted for theft.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why there's so much migration to California due to it being so expensive. I'm not sure what a good solution since they're not all dangerous or mentally ill.

In my area in the southwest, you gotta keep your vehicle locked up good or it will likely be targeted for theft.
California has been losing people actually to Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Texas. It's hard to live the middle class homeownership dream there.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why there's so much migration to California due to it being so expensive.
California has mild winters and isn't waging a war on its homeless. Everyone's asking why the government doesn't do something. A lot of homeless wind up California precisely because other state governments did something, which was to shuffle them off the California. Then turn around and rag on California for being a liberal state.

California is one seriously dysfunctional state, but the homeless "problem" is mainly because it's near the bottom of the list of states in terms of treating the homeless like subhuman scum.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
This is the one internal conflict I have with opening our borders to the poor folk of the world.

Our homeless live in some of the worst conditions possible in the developed world and we do nothing about it. Meanwhile, we (with good intentions) want to open up our land of relative prosperity to people that already have it much better than some of our own. I live in a city that gets pretty damn cold in the winter and every year I see people huddled together in sleeping bags in sub freezing temperatures day after day. It's truely heartbreaking.

I want to help everyone, I hope open immigration becomes a reality but I would much rather see us help get these people off the streets.

I know each are not exclusive of each other but the passion behind the debate surrounding immigration turns to apathy when the homeless are discussed. It's frustrating.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California has mild winters and isn't waging a war on its homeless. Everyone's asking why the government doesn't do something. A lot of homeless wind up California precisely because other state governments did something, which was to shuffle them off the California. Then turn around and rag on California for being a liberal state.

California is one seriously dysfunctional state, but the homeless "problem" is mainly because it's near the bottom of the list of states in terms of treating the homeless like subhuman scum.
Once again, this is a statistical myth (with a few insignificant examples). The residents of these cities with high levels of homelessness can only blame their own policies. Blue cities in blue states limited the construction of housing since the 60s. The homeless population is almost entirely from the cities!

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not true. Real vacancy rates in these cities are at negative levels (1 family per room, etc). The blame the rich yellow people for buying all the homes and keeping them empty is racist bullshit.

I should have said counting the whole country, which of course involves places outside of cities.

Would your remark still be true counting all of the homeless and then looking at foreclosed and vacant homes?

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Are these camps generally safe, like is there a community aspect to them, or is it every man for himself with a real risk of getting robbed (or worse)?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I should have said counting the whole country, which of course involves places outside of cities.

Would your remark still be true counting all of the homeless and then looking at foreclosed and vacant homes?
You can't just put a homeless person in some foreclosed home in the boonies. They will need vehicle, a job, social services, which are terrible in rural areas, and so on. Those areas are more economically depressed than cities. Where would they work? Not to mention social networks.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the one internal conflict I have with opening our borders to the poor folk of the world.

Our homeless live in some of the worst conditions possible in the developed world and we do nothing about it. Meanwhile, we (with good intentions) want to open up our land of relative prosperity to people that already have it much better than some of our own. I live in a city that gets pretty damn cold in the winter and every year I see people huddled together in sleeping bags in sub freezing temperatures day after day. It's truely heartbreaking.

I want to help everyone, I hope open immigration becomes a reality but I would much rather see us help get these people off the streets.

I know each are not exclusive of each other but the passion behind the debate surrounding immigration turns to apathy when the homeless are discussed. It's frustrating.
I guarantee you that the vast majority of the homeless are natural born citizens.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i would hate to live in one of those apartment buildings next to those tents. would always have to worry about my house and car being broken into.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It IS two national emergencies called "Record economic inequality" and "no access to (mental) healthcare" and it will be made worse by the new Tax cut for corporations and the wealthy that also slashes Obamacare for the poor.

The solution is not to jail those unlucky people, the solution is to make sure they can get jobs and treatment that allow them to live with dignity, as opposed to jobs that allow them to barely survive while wrecking their health and getting addicted to drugs for pain management.

The biggest issue is NIMBY assholes refusing to let common sense solutions like converting scummy dilapidated hotels into affordable housing.

https://la.curbed.com/2017/5/4/15546344/temple-city-homeless-veteran-housing-project-opposition

That and the fact that people for some reason in the U.S are adverse to fucking moving and taking on the types of jobs that immigrants will.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
When I went to Norcal I was disgusted at how people looked at homeless and pointed out people living under bridges like it was a part of life.

Homeless were also having to walk up to cars to ask for money and people looked past. How did it get so horrible?

Walras

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Once again, this is a statistical myth (with a few insignificant examples). The residents of these cities with high levels of homelessness can only blame their own policies. Blue cities in blue states limited the construction of housing since the 60s. The homeless population is almost entirely from the cities!

Source?

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
I don't get the point of bringing up immigration into this discussion though. Do you think that by allowing immigration that they are somehow putting these people on the streets or that they will take away services that should be going to the current homeless population?

Do I think opening the borders to the poor of the world puts the poor already here in a more difficult situation? Maybe.

Do I think services provided to immigrants could be used to help the homeless? Of course.

In our current political climate, and there is no meaningful change in sight, there are incredibly limited resources available to the underprivileged. That is the reality. We can wish and hope that will change but there is no evidence it will and we are definitely not trending in that direction.

Like I said, I hope we get to that place someday, but we are not there. So yes, considering our supremely constrained and misguided budget, giving to one poor person takes from another.

However, to my main point, the political will around helping people who live in the deepest form of poverty is nonexistent. No one talks about it, no one campaigns on getting these people off the streets, or providing them food, or keeping them safe. No one cares.

They have been forgotten amidst arguments surrounding weather or not we should accept more poor folks we are also ill equipped to help.

Sorry if this is seen as a thread derailment. This thread shouldn't be about immigration. It should be about the homeless. In an effort to keep this thread moving in the right direction, I'll leave it at this. I've said what I wanted to say.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
When I went to Norcal I was disgusted at how people looked at homeless and pointed out people living under bridges like it was a part of life.

Homeless were also having to walk up to cars to ask for money and people looked past. How did it get so horrible?
Reagan happened. America's economic divide has been growing fast because of the shit-road he started us on. Ronald and his wife are indirectly responsible for killing and ruining millions of lives because of their wars on drugs, gays, blacks and the poor.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I looked into moving to those apartments in the first half of the video. You'd be surprised at how much they still are charging... it wasn't much cheaper than the surrounding apartments.

I had no idea how extensive the encampments were, very heartbreaking to see. California really needs to address this head on.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the homeless people you see on the corner speaking to themselves are the extreme minority. Most homeless people are just regular folks who go to school, go to jobs, etc. They simply cannot afford a house.

Your are confusing state issues and federal issues. Besides, even if the federal government did show up in these cities, intent on building $25 billion is housing, every single local municipality would sue them trying to stop the additional housing from being built.
This person is right on the money. The homeless problem is a combination of NIMBYism, our economic system, lack of social a real safety net for those most vulnerable with a sprinkling of racism. The solution, however, is very simple: just make sure you have ample supply of houses or just give them money outright, no questions asked or pre-conditions.

Oct 30, 2017
They are actually cleaning this entire stretch of Santa Ana river trail as we speak. They worked for over a year between 2 cities, and county public water works to devise a plan. They are forcefully removing these people and started on 1/22, of this week. This river trail for decades was a safe bike trail people from several counties would ride, but it spiraled into some homeless camp where there were open drug deals, and literally needles everywhere in public. I believe they are not removing people without a plan of giving them options for shelter however, so there is some thought about where these people will go.

Just about everyone who lives in the area is incredibly pissed its taken this long. Crime shot up dramatically while this camp was expanding. Break ins, theft, you name .. everything was on a massive rise in the surrounding Anaheim/Orange area. There are shelters in the area by the way, these people refused to go them or accept already available resources at their disposal. It is widely known that a majority of people living in these camps were vocal that they did so by choice and did not want to leave.

Also about a month back, orange county sherfifs uncovered an underground bunker of sorts where these thieves had hidden over 1,000 stolen bikes.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/...bikes-found-at-fountain-valley-homeless-camp/

This place has/had to go and its finally being cleared out now. The reason this got so populated was not the "housing crisis" or whatever non CA residents here on ERA are claiming. These homeless came from San Diego, and LA counties, city of LA was even caught vanning homeless from LA to these camps in orange county. But the reason this grew and went on for so long was how tent laws and camping law loop holes didn't apply to the river trail, combined with much of this being governed by the OC public water works district and parts of Anaheim and the OC sherrifs dept. The homeless found a loop hole in a stretch of the river trail that was nearly impossible for cities or the county to police because of juristiction.

As of Monday of this week, everything has changed and this video is already out of date. I drove past this yesterday on my way home from work and they had bulldozers out and were clearing tents finally. I haven't met a single resident in north OC that is upset about shutting these encampments down.

Last edited:

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Ah the Santa Ana River Bike trail. We have a section of it here and its a really nice ride but make sure you don't ride alone or when it gets dark.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Largely comes down to housing policy on the local level, but there are (numerous) other causes.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coincidentally the issue came up this morning in an interview I saw with Jeremy Corbyn, in regard the UK's homeless problem.

Under a Labour government he is promising the immediate purchase of 8,000 homes to accommodate them, as well as offering councils powers to use homes that are owned but deliberately kept empty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42851024