• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
So I should still have a restoration company do this and just go with the one that has a more conservative approach? I'm assuming there isn't another type of company that can handle this work...
My assumption is you just need to remove the ceiling drywall, kill the mold, replace drywall. Not a particularly difficult job as long as the damage isn't severe.

Wide variety of Restoration companies. You don't need a fancy one so stay towards the conservative side of the estimates. Definitely use one that has experience with mold. Really, most handymen or handywomen can do it - if they know how to properly treat the mold. Sounds like you'll need a plumber too - which might be part of the restoration services.

It is still going to cost you, that's unavoidable unless you're a capable DIY'er.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
This will sound terrible but…

If the wood is not mold ridden or it can be replaced, I think a lot of these companies are unnecessary. Many of them are hawks for insurance claims. I think a lot of mold situations are incredibly overblown. Some slight mold on sheet rock? No need to get a whole remediation company. They'll just cut it out anyway

I would look for independent contractors or small business. Avoid large national companies like Servpro. Some of the small companies around me have told home owners how to remediate small issues on their own if it's some isolated mold to a piece of wood.
I tend to go with small businesses in general (did have a close call with an insurance-focused larger restoration company last year but got out just in time). The previously mentioned quote are both from small businesses.

The added wrinkle is the garage ceiling is a popcorn ceiling, although I'm not sure it has asbestos or not. The contractors are obviously treating it like it does, which inflates the cost

My assumption is you just need to remove the ceiling drywall, kill the mold, replace drywall. Not a particularly difficult job as long as the damage isn't severe.

Wide variety of Restoration companies. You don't need a fancy one so stay towards the conservative side of the estimates. Definitely use one that has experience with mold. Really, most handymen or handywomen can do it - if they know how to properly treat the mold. Sounds like you'll need a plumber too - which might be part of the restoration services.

It is still going to cost you, that's unavoidable unless you're a capable DIY'er.
Thanks. That gives me some different ideas.

As mentioned above, the only added wrinkle is the possibility of asbestos. My house was built in '89 and the research I did online (not sure how accurate) suggests that's the exact year they stopped installing ceiling with asbestos (again, this may be wrong). So, it's hard to tell if mine has it without doing a formal test.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
The added wrinkle is the garage ceiling is a popcorn ceiling, although I'm not sure it has asbestos or not. The contractors are obviously treating it like it does, which inflates the cost

As mentioned above, the only added wrinkle is the possibility of asbestos. My house was built in '89 and the research I did online (not sure how accurate) suggests that's the exact year they stopped installing ceiling with asbestos (again, this may be wrong). So, it's hard to tell if mine has it without doing a formal test.

Perfect time to remove the abomination that is Popcorn Ceiling!

Pretty sure they have to check for asbestos no matter what. If the drywall was installed last week - still have to check.

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to go with small businesses in general (did have a close call with an insurance-focused larger restoration company last year but got out just in time). The previously mentioned quote are both from small businesses.

Thanks. That gives me some different ideas.

Are you certain there's legitimate mold issue that needs remediation? Like I said sometimes people see small bit of mold on sheet rock and freak out. Some of these companies thrive on the panic and fear around mold. I'm not trying to downplay it just making sure it's a legitimate problem before you go spending tons of money.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Are you certain there's legitimate mold issue that needs remediation? Like I said sometimes people see small bit of mold on sheet rock and freak out. Some of these companies thrive on the panic and fear around mold. I'm not trying to downplay it just making sure it's a legitimate problem before you go spending tons of money.
There is mold but it's hard to determine the severity. There is a bit on the subflooring (plywood?) that we can see when looking up through the garage ceiling portion that we've ripped out. I suppose we could rip out more of the ceiling and see if there's more visible mold.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck GE and fuck glass cooktops. I have an electric stove and I am not particularly rough on it, I clean it every so often, but back in 2022 the glass cracked. It was under warranty, I got it fixed. Well now two years later it's cracked AGAIN, again I clean it every so often and don't abuse it or anything. Fortunately at least there's a 5 year warranty on replacement parts, but I still have to pay the visit fee and labor fee.

Maybe this is a hot take, but I think it's fucked up if you really have to deep clean a fucking stovetop every single time you use it. It's absolutely insane.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Fuck GE and fuck glass cooktops. I have an electric stove and I am not particularly rough on it, I clean it every so often, but back in 2022 the glass cracked. It was under warranty, I got it fixed. Well now two years later it's cracked AGAIN, again I clean it every so often and don't abuse it or anything. Fortunately at least there's a 5 year warranty on replacement parts, but I still have to pay the visit fee and labor fee.

Maybe this is a hot take, but I think it's fucked up if you really have to deep clean a fucking stovetop every single time you use it. It's absolutely insane.
GE ain't what they used to be. I bought a GE stove last year but sent it back. Just oozed poor quality. After hearing your story I'm really glad I did.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
GE ain't what they used to be. I bought a GE stove last year but sent it back. Just oozed poor quality. After hearing your story I'm really glad I did.
I was Googling this issue and saw someone on Reddit say "GE stands for Generally Expensive"

My Oven/Stove came with my house and I'd rather not dish out more money to replace it if I don't have to, but man it really sucks.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I was Googling this issue and saw someone on Reddit say "GE stands for Generally Expensive"

My Oven/Stove came with my house and I'd rather not dish out more money to replace it if I don't have to, but man it really sucks.
I get that. The stove that came with our Condo broke 6 months after we moved in. Just left it broken for another 6 months because we just didn't want to spend the money. Broken stove is very frustrating.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone up north have thoughts:
I looked into getting a generator this year when upgrading from 100a to 200a panel. Ended up being a lot more expensive than I was lead to believe. All I really want is for my furnace to work in the winter if power goes out.

What have you used, what has worked?

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone up north have thoughts:
I looked into getting a generator this year when upgrading from 100a to 200a panel. Ended up being a lot more expensive than I was lead to believe. All I really want is for my furnace to work in the winter if power goes out.

What have you used, what has worked?

A whole house generator or just a portable one? You could alwys get a portable one and have the panel wired for it.