• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Just moved to Chicago and while I'm loving it...

I think in a couple of years I will move back to Florida and buy first home there and decide what to do next. Been looking at Sarasota. I want somewhere chill, peaceful, by the beach with, in a blue county, with good food and an art scene.

Guess I should start saving even more for that now though. Really tired of dealing with landlords, pet issues, not having my open space, and so on. Sarasota seems like a great 2nd home option too.

why not just buy in a close suburb? I lived in the city for 15 years, but just moved to Des Plaines. It's very close to the city, and I work downtown. However we could buy a house with a yard and a relaxing atmosphere. The beach is a quick train ride away, basically.

If you want blue, I don't picture FL. My grandma lives in Bradenton, and I wouldn't want to live there.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
why not just buy in a close suburb? I lived in the city for 15 years, but just moved to Des Plaines. It's very close to the city, and I work downtown. However we could buy a house with a yard and a relaxing atmosphere. The beach is a quick train ride away, basically.

If you want blue, I don't picture FL. My grandma lives in Bradenton, and I wouldn't want to live there.

These suburbs are beautiful. I thought about it but I would have to see how I handle the next couple of Winters. Sucks considering Spring/Summers here are incredible.

I could've sworn Tampa/Sarasota areas were typically blue being so close to colleges and what not. Granted it's Florida so there are random pockets of shittiness spread out throughout the state.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Aren't some Chicago area property taxes going up by crazy percentages? Or is that limited to the city?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
These suburbs are beautiful. I thought about it but I would have to see how I handle the next couple of Winters. Sucks considering Spring/Summers here are incredible.

I could've sworn Tampa/Sarasota areas were typically blue being so close to colleges and what not. Granted it's Florida so there are random pockets of shittiness spread out throughout the state.

I'm sure you can find pockets, but you're still going to have to live by red laws statewide.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, we have assessment (capped) and inflation adjustments too. I was talking about Rahm's big tax increase initiatives.

Rahm was city, taxes are county, they are related but not a direct line. Cook county did get a new assessor and taxes are going up on most commercial and affluent neighborhood properties.

Who here stretched on their house purchase? I mean, figured out a price that would only be discussed if it was an absolute dream home, then added on another 10%. My wife is very into this home. I like it too, but I feel like we're eating ramen for the first few years. Would like to read experiences being house poor and how it affected lives and relationships.

My lean is no, bordering on hard no.

90% of the time you are better off buying under budget. It is a delicate balance with a SO, so I wish you luck. This gets more into relationship dynamics than real estate strategy.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
God damn to I hate dealing with my lawn. My backyard seemed mostly dead so I pulled up all the dead grass/weeds/whatever. Put down a bunch of grass seed, water every day, over the last couple days I've been seeing green sprouting up and getting excited.

It's just fucking crabgrass everywhere, no grass at all. I don't think I've managed to get a single blade to grow. As someone who has lived in apartments my whole life I just feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, wasting a bunch of money on equipment and supplies, just to have a crap lawn.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
God damn to I hate dealing with my lawn. My backyard seemed mostly dead so I pulled up all the dead grass/weeds/whatever. Put down a bunch of grass seed, water every day, over the last couple days I've been seeing green sprouting up and getting excited.

It's just fucking crabgrass everywhere, no grass at all. I don't think I've managed to get a single blade to grow.
What's your climate? Have you considered sod?

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
What's your climate? Have you considered sod?

Massachusetts. I do have a leech field in the backyard where I'm trying to grow some grass so I'm not sure if sod is appropriate for that kind of situation? I don't want to risk damaging that. I was considering hydroseeding since I'm pretty sure birds are just eating the seeds I'm trying to plant.

Oct 25, 2017

It's just fucking crabgrass everywhere, no grass at all. I don't think I've managed to get a single blade to grow. As someone who has lived in apartments my whole life I just feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, wasting a bunch of money on equipment and supplies, just to have a crap lawn.

Look for top soil, preferably something that's a natural fertilizer. Any spots I've used top soil to fill in holes has had the thicket grass in the entire yard. Also try to do this in early fall, so septemberish, as it allows the best time for seeds to get their rooting and remain undistubured the longest. Dealing with grass in the north east can be tough because of how impractical our weather can be.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what these tabs on my windows are called? This one is permanently popped out and prevents the window from opening more than an inch or two. I want to fix or replace it, but I don't have anything to search on.

7tlGu8B.jpg

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

I'm in the lawn care nut group on facebook - check that out, people will have good suggestions.

First I might just kill off the lawn and start over completely with Roundup. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/soon-can-replant-after-using-roundup-88067.html

Power rake the dead lawn hard - electric dethatchers work well on the deepest setting. Lay down new seed after the recommended time, with a thin layer of good soil on top and I would lay that green mesh you see as cover so no weed seeds float in and birds don't eat it. Make sure to use some starter fertilizer.

Get quality seed. Most commercial grass seed is full of weed seeds too. Also keep in mind Quackgrass and crabgrass are resilient. Quack looks kinda like grass but is clumpy and has auricles - it's almost impossible to selectively get of of your good grass since technically it's grass. Crabgrass drops seeds that get cozy in the fall/winter, and you should put a pre-emergent down next early early spring so no seeds will sprout. This should mostly take care of crabgrass. Dandelions are actually perennials and will go dormant but grow back from the root the next year if not killed directly or pulled out by hand. I pull mine by hand.

I could go on. Let me know if you need help.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the lawn care nut group on facebook - check that out, people will have good suggestions.

First I might just kill off the lawn and start over completely with Roundup. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/soon-can-replant-after-using-roundup-88067.html

Power rake the dead lawn hard - electric dethatchers work well on the deepest setting. Lay down new seed after the recommended time, with a thin layer of good soil on top and I would lay that green mesh you see as cover so no weed seeds float in and birds don't eat it. Make sure to use some starter fertilizer.

Get quality seed. Most commercial grass seed is full of weed seeds too. Also keep in mind Quackgrass and crabgrass are resilient. Quack looks kinda like grass but is clumpy and has auricles - it's almost impossible to selectively get of of your good grass since technically it's grass. Crabgrass drops seeds that get cozy in the fall/winter, and you should put a pre-emergent down next early early spring so no seeds will sprout. This should mostly take care of crabgrass. Dandelions are actually perennials and will go dormant but grow back from the root the next year if not killed directly or pulled out by hand. I pull mine by hand.

They did curb work in our neighborhood and put down quackgrass seed. Residents were PISSSSED

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the info, it's very beneficial.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can tell you I've done more yard work in the last month than I've ever done in my life since closing. I like it though.

Previous owner died 3 years ago, then family eventually didn't want to do anything with it, foreclosed, and then about a year long flip. Interior I don't have to do anything so that's cool but man the yard/gardens have needed a lot of work. Finally pretty much have it where I want it.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Man, I can tell you I've done more yard work in the last month than I've ever done in my life since closing. I like it though.

Previous owner died 3 years ago, then family eventually didn't want to do anything with it, foreclosed, and then about a year long flip. Interior I don't have to do anything so that's cool but man the yard/gardens have needed a lot of work. Finally pretty much have it where I want it.
Nice, what all did you do in the garden?

My wife and I are discussing building raised beds.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, what all did you do in the garden?

My wife and I are discussing building raised beds.

There were a lot of perennials but also weeds have taken over. So a lot of weeding and then putting down Cypress mulch and putting in some new stuff. It's kind of landscaped with old bricks with the brick company on them which I like, so just weeding and uncovering those too. I dug up a huge mound of tall/prairie grass and put in like a 15x10 veggie garden. Just posts and chicken wire. It actually looks pretty good.

Oct 25, 2017
There were a lot of perennials but also weeds have taken over. So a lot of weeding and then putting down Cypress mulch and putting in some new stuff. It's kind of landscaped with old bricks with the brick company on them which I like, so just weeding and uncovering those too. I dug up a huge mound of tall/prairie grass and put in like a 15x10 veggie garden. Just posts and chicken wire. It actually looks pretty good.

When we moved into our place the entire area behind the garage had been neglected so I feel your pain. We were pulling out bricks and bushes and weeds for 4 hours at least. Just so much over growth and neglected stuff.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Our backyard was rocks when we moved in so we put in a brick patio and a fenced-in garden. Maaaan it's hard to keep these plants going in this heat. :(

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else have slugs? I've seen the trails for a while now, caught one last night crawling around next to the door. Picked up some bait today to lay around the grass and some diatomaceous earth to put down next to the house, we'll see if it does the trick.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm just a few days away from a simultaneous close of a sell & buy.
I bought my first home in late 2015. And I thought that was stressful.

I've quickly learned that buying and selling at the same time is much more stressful.

It turns out I bought at the right time.

My home value increased ~40% since I bought and I was able to leverage that into buying a brand new home.
I'm excited to start a new chapter but also hate moving 😫

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when your toilets stop working and it turns out a tree root has invaded your sewage line. We've spent 12k to fix this, included a main line replacement due to a minor leak there, reattach sprinklers with a new thing required by code. Now we may have to resod if the grass doesn't make it back. Insurance is iffy at this point.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Working on my future home layout, renovating an old second floor unit. One thing I am thinking of doing is separating the toilet from the bathroom, there's enough space to squeeze in a sink and storage (maybe even partially into the wall), and then split the bathroom into a shower and bath area (open floor, freestanding tub with a shower next to it, shower water goes directly on the floor) and a double-vanity area. I would have a hall with a t-junction end of which the end is the door to the toilet room, and the two ends of the T's horizontal bar are the master bedroom door facing the bathroom door.

I feel that without making two separate whole bathrooms this will make all three really optimal, as the use of one never prevents the use of another. I can imagine how usually a teenage girl would hijack the bathroom forever, forcing the need for at least a second bathroom, and then the toilet in the other one being used preventing someone from shaving or putting on makeup or taking a shower. With this layout I think it could be pretty efficient.

I do not under any circumstances want to have a shower-tub, I hate that, so I'm keeping the shower and tub separate and as open as I can.

Just wish there was sunlight, there's already a light-well where the current bathroom is but I'm removing the bathroom from there, it will likely become the mezzanine access point one day. No white bathroom for me, doesn't work well with no sunlight, gonna go with a darker design.

What do you guys think about that layout? Sounds efficient? Wish I could add a second shower but no space, would have to be shared and at that point it's only good for the couple, they can just hurry up.

Sorry no pics, next week.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Working on my future home layout, renovating an old second floor unit. One thing I am thinking of doing is separating the toilet from the bathroom, there's enough space to squeeze in a sink and storage (maybe even partially into the wall), and then split the bathroom into a shower and bath area (open floor, freestanding tub with a shower next to it, shower water goes directly on the floor) and a double-vanity area. I would have a hall with a t-junction end of which the end is the door to the toilet room, and the two ends of the T's horizontal bar are the master bedroom door facing the bathroom door.

I feel that without making two separate whole bathrooms this will make all three really optimal, as the use of one never prevents the use of another. I can imagine how usually a teenage girl would hijack the bathroom forever, forcing the need for at least a second bathroom, and then the toilet in the other one being used preventing someone from shaving or putting on makeup or taking a shower. With this layout I think it could be pretty efficient.

I do not under any circumstances want to have a shower-tub, I hate that, so I'm keeping the shower and tub separate and as open as I can.

Just wish there was sunlight, there's already a light-well where the current bathroom is but I'm removing the bathroom from there, it will likely become the mezzanine access point one day. No white bathroom for me, doesn't work well with no sunlight, gonna go with a darker design.

What do you guys think about that layout? Sounds efficient? Wish I could add a second shower but no space, would have to be shared and at that point it's only good for the couple, they can just hurry up.

Only issue I can think of is your water and sewer lines, you'd have to run more lines for the separate toilet.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
The washing thread has gotten me thinking. Anyone use a clothsline more than a dryer? I have no neighbour/hoa problems, I don't know why I haven't started air drying.

Can't get a clear picture tbh. Something like this but with the shower having opaque walls too?

jZbwY0H.png

Oct 25, 2017
The washing thread has gotten me thinking. Anyone use a clothsline more than a dryer? I have no neighbour/hoa problems, I don't know why I haven't started air drying.

Can't get a clear picture tbh. Something like this but with the shower having opaque walls too?

jZbwY0H.png

I've been thinking about stringing up a line since we air dry a bunch of stuff that can't be put in a dryer

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of washers and dryers, does anyone have a preferred brand? We have an LG washer and dryer set, the washer is starting to give us some problems and we'll most likely replace it in a year or two. We'd like to get a good quality one, I've heard bad things about Samsungs

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Clothes that have been line dried never seem soft to me.

Couldn't do it around here anyway. I have way too many allergies.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of washers and dryers, does anyone have a preferred brand? We have an LG washer and dryer set, the washer is starting to give us some problems and we'll most likely replace it in a year or two. We'd like to get a good quality one, I've heard bad things about Samsungs

We have one of the Samsung's that "explodes". It's been fine but my wife wants to get away from Samsung appliances.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

jZbwY0H.png

The toilet would actually be its own room, otherwise someone using the shower prevents others from using the toilet.

I thought of something else: split the bathroom into three rooms. Bath/shower with towels, dryer, flipflop space etc. Vanity room with all the necessary vanity stuff. Toilet room which is just a toilet with mini vanity but of comfortable size. This way the use of any room doesn't prevent the use of the other.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Man, staining/water sealing a decent sized deck with a lot of railing is more of a chore than we expected. Hopefully my wife and I can finish it up tomorrow evening after putting in several hours yesterday and this evening. It's looking much better though as some of the top boards were starting to gray from the damn Georgia sun despite being less than a year old. We went with the transparent cedar color from Thompson's.

We should have got to it sooner before it was so hot, had to delay a week as it was above the max temp of 95 to apply (not that we'd do the work in thst kind of heat anyway). Finally doing it now as I have surgery to repair a torn bicep tendon Friday and wouldn't be able to help do it for a few months. For now it's just sore and can handle holding a little bucket of stain while painting with my other hand (hurt my left arm thankfully). My wife will do the roller staining of the main surface since that takes two good arms.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, staining/water sealing a decent sized deck with a lot of railing is more of a chore than we expected. Hopefully my wife and I can finish it up tomorrow evening after putting in several hours yesterday and this evening. It's looking much better though as some of the top boards were starting to gray from the damn Georgia sun despite being less than a year old. We went with the transparent cedar color from Thompson's.

We should have got to it sooner before it was so hot, had to delay a week as it was above the max temp of 95 to apply (not that we'd do the work in thst kind of heat anyway). Finally doing it now as I have surgery to repair a torn bicep tendon Friday and wouldn't be able to help do it for a few months. For now it's just sore and can handle holding a little bucket of stain while painting with my other hand (hurt my left arm thankfully). My wife will do the roller staining of the main surface since that takes two good arms.

Mine posting before and after? We've looked for clear cedar but when we did test spots they always looked bad and more like paint

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Any tips? The paint on mine is peeling (and a couple of boards are buckling) and I have no idea how to approach it.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Mine posting before and after? We've looked for clear cedar but when we did test spots they always looked bad and more like paint

I don't have a full before and after, but here's a corner where the railing is done and the floor isn't yet.

xALuyuw.jpg

Any tips? The paint on mine is peeling (and a couple of boards are buckling) and I have no idea how to approach it.

Not for old decking. As above ours was built during the reno of the property last year so it was in pretty good shape other than some graying from sun. Pressure washing is probably the best thing to get the old paint off. Sanding if that doesn't work. Replacing of any boards that are rotting are too warped etc. as well.

In terms of applying the stain, that's pretty easy, just time consuming with stain brushes and rollers, getting between the railings etc. You can do it with a sprayer, but we're not skilled at that kind of thing and would have way more runs etc.