• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This year I finally bought a house. As a new homeowner I've had to learn a lot of basic things, and it's been very educational in ways I never expected or even wanted to be educated. However, there are some bright spots, and in a world of gloom and hate I wanted to share a couple of them in the hopes that they'll brighten someone's day.

I own a book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, that's about learning to draw. There's some theory that may not be 100% accurate about left brain vs. right brain, but I feel the book is still useful in many of its exercises. In particular, one main point of the book is that drawing isn't about learning to draw. Drawing is about learning to SEE. Human brains are excellent at filtering out unnecessary information. The world is full of an exhaustive amount of information, even if one restricts it to visual information, so it makes perfect sense that your brain has to filter so you don't get constantly exhausted and overwhelmed. However, to accurately draw something as it actually looks from your vantage point, the book argues you have to learn to see all the little details you might otherwise ignore. The brain can get annoyed and think, "eh I have a mental symbol for an apple, why are you wasting my time trying to imitate little shadows and lines," but that's what you need to do if you want to draw something realistically.

Drawing aside, I've seen this in nature. I grew up playing in the woods as a kid and I've seen my share of plants and gardens and insects. Still, there are some things that didn't really register to me until someone pointed them out and made me look more closely. For example, septic tanks. As a new home owner who found via inspection that the drainage field was broken, I had the obnoxious and very expensive experience of getting the decades-old tank and field replaced. A septic tank inspector guy came over. I had no idea where the tank even existed, but he glanced at the yard and was like "oh it'll be here and here, notice these little flowers tend to grow around septic tanks etc." He had the superpower of septicvision, despite having a job some might look down on as menial.

Now to the topic actually mentioned in the title, honeybees. I conceptually know about honeybees, I've been stung by various wasp or beelike insects and found I was allergic to several in the past, I've eaten locally produced honey, and so forth. And yet, I've never really paid that much attention to them. As a new homeowner several months into owning a house, suddenly one day I see this big, loose cloud o' bees maybe 8 feet across, with audible droning 20 feet away. I thought it was a distant engine or something until I saw the cloud. A bunch of them were landing on the garage wall of my house where an external light fixture wasn't properly sealed to the wall, and they seemed to be crawling inside. The next day the cloud was gone, but the bees were still flying in and out.

I didn't know if they were wasps or hornets or bees or what. Obviously I didn't get close since I've been allergic and didn't feel like testing my luck. A pest inspector arrived, and it turned out a colony of honeybees decided to move into my wall void. As an aside, I'm discovering as a homeowner that the phrase "wall void" strikes terror into my heart, as in "imagine a flood of termites spilling out into your wall void," or "you can't get to the wall void without carving up your wall". A local beekeeper arrived next, and this is where things got really neat. Here are some of the things I've learned, or at least been told:

1. Honeybees always leave and enter the hive from the same side. I spent maybe 20 minutes watching today and this is totally accurate, they always fly to a route that takes them towards the light fixture from a certain direction, even though there's just a hole in the wall above it they could crawl into from any angle. The pest inspector said they pretty much will only sting you if you're in the flight path -- or, I assume, if you disturb the hive.

2. They could be Africanized honeybees ("killer bees"). According to the beekeeper you can't ever really tell unless you capture one and do DNA analysis, or unless you disturb the hive and get chased by 1000 bees. Apparently they've interbred enough that there are a bunch of varieties, but the aggression still seems to be dominant. I then wondered if it was even worth taking them out instead of killing them -- I definitely don't want to kill normal honeybees since I know how much colonies have been dying. It turns out that even an Africanized colony can be reclaimed. They take the colony, replace the queen with another queen of a known safer breed, and within a few weeks the hive ends up entirely replaced with regular bees.

3. My yard has gotten really grown up and I'm in the process of reclaiming it. The beekeeper immediately pointed to some Mexican clover in the front yard, which he informed me was neither Mexican nor clover despite the name, and said the bees were probably using that. Sure enough, when I went close and stared at these little flowers I normally glance over, I saw a honeybee or two busily harvesting from them. I wouldn't look at different trees or flowers and see some as likely bee candidates, but the beekeeper did. He also said they typically harvest from pepper trees -- from a brief google search, this appears to be the Brazilian pepper tree, and the woods next to my house have at least one or something very similar. It turns out it has effects like mace if you burn it, and can have effects like poison ivy if you touch it. Well, that's good to know.

4. Beehives are hot, which also lets them survive temporary cold weather. To locate a beehive inside a sheetrock wall, beekeepers use infrared guns.

5. Scout bees actually measure potential hive locations. The beekeeper said the process is that first a scout bee arrives, crawls into the wall, and measures the whole thing. If it thinks there's enough room, it reports back while the colony is just relaxing on a treebranch or something temporarily. More scouts then go and double check the same location. If they agree there is enough room, they report back, and the queen makes the call to move the whole colony in.

6. I've heard of this in passing, but anyone interested should check out how crazy the communication protocol is:
Have you ever seen those videos of bees dancing in front of other bees to show them the way to reach a new source of food they just found, they do small circles showing THE ANGLE of the direction to go, the distance AND the quality of food.
Insane.
found a link : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3507209/

Finally, and what really prompted me to make the thread, they're just really cool to watch. Once I got over my concern for being stung and stayed out of the flight paths, I watched for a while today. There seemed to only be one or two bees assigned to the Mexican clover patch, and I could see one go from flower to flower, digging its head in and wiggling itself. I could literally see its legs covered in collected pollen, and possibly even the rest of its body. After a while I suppose it was fully loaded and flew off to deliver the cargo.

Most of the time, a bee would either enter or leave the hive every 5-10 seconds, sometimes with gaps up to 30 seconds. They even seem to have a sort of redlight system, where an inbound bee would pause or land nearby because another bee was going in or out, and then continue when the path cleared. When they leave the hive, they fly in abrupt, complex patterns but they APPEAR to be consistent -- a departing bee would fly a few feet out, change direction a couple of times in a sort of ascending spiral, get maybe 20 feet high (it was cloudy today so I could actually see them pretty well against the sky), and then make a beeline (ho ho) in some direction. It was almost as if they were getting on a highway system and then taking off once they reached their path. Watching for a while, I could see multiple paths. One went off towards the neighbor. One went across the street, maybe to their front yard flowers. One went behind the house, maybe to the pepper tree. One went towards my front yard, which I assume includes the Mexican clover.

Is any of this important to my day-to-day life, or yours? Not necessarily. You could go your whole life without seeing these details and still be fine. Despite that, I think it's important to sometimes take a break from the hectic pace of life and the worries that we face, if we're fortunate enough to be able to take a small break, and just observe the tiny details of how the world hums along underneath us.

I want them gone so the honey doesn't build up in the wall and attract predators, and so I don't get stung. But in some way, I'll miss them.

Last edited:

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
This was a delightful read OP. I hope that you get to have some of your wall honey once the bees are moved.

If you would like, you could always put out a bird feeder. Here's a guide from Audubon on Bird Feeding Basics.

I've been super into birds recently (because I'm a conservation, but also because I just like them), and so I've been spending 15 minutes this week each morning with a cup of tea on my back porch, trying to identify whatever flies in and out of my yard. I'll try to continue it through winter, until the winter migrants go back north.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the lovely read, OP.

Once you bee proof your house, you could always look into getting a small hive going, if your yard is big enough :)

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the lovely read, OP.

Once you bee proof your house, you could always look into getting a small hive going, if your yard is big enough :)
That's exactly what the beekeeper said! He was a really nice retired guy and suggested I go to the local beekeeper club meeting. :P I'm just too busy right now with work and all the other house stuff, plus I'm still a bit scared of bee stings. Maybe some day.

This was a delightful read OP. I hope that you get to have some of your wall honey once the bees are moved.

If you would like, you could always put out a bird feeder. Here's a guide from Audubon on Bird Feeding Basics.

I've been super into birds recently (because I'm a conservation, but also because I just like them), and so I've been spending 15 minutes this week each morning with a cup of tea on my back porch, trying to identify whatever flies in and out of my yard. I'll try to continue it through winter, until the winter migrants go back north.
Birds are really neat too, and I think I saw some huge cranes this morning. I forgot to mention but I also saw some weird butterflies or butterfly-like things in the yard today that I've never noticed before, not the common monarchs.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever seen those videos of bees dancing in front of other bees to show them the way to reach a new source of food they just found, they do small circles showing THE ANGLE of the direction to go, the distance AND the quality of food.
Insane.
found a link : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3507209/
Thank you. I've heard of that in passing but the details of it are incredible. I put that in the OP, and it reminded me to add #5 about scouts measuring potential hive locations.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i had a wasp start building a nest by my porch door this past summer. from inside i watched and timed it as it flew off, came back with a packet of mud, build its nest, and fly off again for another packet of mud. if i remember correctly it was 45 seconds between when it flew off and came back with its mud supply. in that 45 seconds i opened the door and used the back of a broom to scrape the beginnings of its nest away. safe again behind the glass i watched the wasp fly back, land, circle around the dusty remains of its nest as if confused for a brief few seconds. it finally flew off, never to be seen again.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
I love honey bees, I actually bought a beekeeper suit and used it for a halloween costume with the hopes of using it for real some day, hah. There's some good documentaries/shows on Netflix (might have been taken down) that I'd advise you to check out if you have time and care to delve deeper.

http://www.morethanhoneyfilm.com/ - this has some information about how honey bees behave but also goes into their economic impact worldwide

https://www.netflix.com/title/80146284 - the first episode "lawyers, guns and honey" is more about court cases and the importance of honey but still interesting nonetheless

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/magazine/the-super-bowl-of-beekeeping.html - not a show but an interesting article about the beekeeping industry and how much it goes under the radar despite it's global impact

They truly are fascinating creatures and it always warms my heart to see others appreciating the so-called "little" things in life that actually carry so much weight in our day to day lives. Unsung heroes these bees are.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google about the "Honeybee Algorithm". You will be fucked.

Nov 23, 2017
I saw a swarm of bees one time flying in a cloud down the street like what you saw. I heard them long before I could figure out where the noise was coming from. It was really cool to watch, and thankfully they were on a mission to find a home much further away.

More than a few times a topic has popped up about a fire ant colony eating live roaches. It's cringe worthy enough on its own, but I got sucked into his whole channel "AntsCanada" and the different colonies. The videos go back several years and you can definitely see the progression of his experience as an ant keeper and the progession of the colonies. Its the one video I look forward to every weekend getting posted.

I even used his advice to capture a colony living at a friend's house. The colony was in the kitchen wall and no amount of killing scouts will kill off the colony. So I created two nests to attact the ants to move in and eventually the queen. But I think it was a multi queen colony as the ants have returned once again, but not as strong in numbers.
ch68jq9l.jpg

It was just a cheap dollar store bowl with a lid and a rubber straw directed at the point of entry into the kitchen. I added seedling soil and honey on a spoon. Worked like a charm. The whole thing was absolutely fascinating.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Great read and thread! We need more of these. I read the whole thing and enjoyed it. Thanks for the effort!

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Them and jumping spiders are easily my favorite bugs to just sit and watch. Ants would be up there except that I get real uncomfortable when I see large numbers of them at a time these days, as they did a real number on our house back when I was a kid.

Always considered taking up beekeeping when I retire. Hopefully their still around by then.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a little more today. I saw one bee fly off in a certain direction towards the back of the house, but no matter how much I looked in the backyard and the treeline, I couldn't find many flowers, and found no honeybees.

I then went around the woods to the other side of the vacant lot, only to find a big cluster of tall flowers and 2-3 or more species of insects harvesting them. Well, I guess that explains that. :P

Unfortunately I saw one or two huge yellow and black striped wasp-ish insects on flowers as well -- they seem to be paper wasps which occasionally build on the eaves.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
As a kid I would watch bees and ants for hours. Fascinating little creatures. Now I'm watching them with my own kids.

Dragonflies are amazing too. There was a big one flying in circles and catching flying insects in my frontyard last summer. They are so agile and quick!

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I found out my neighbor had a beehive on a tree and someone either took it or sprayed it...so technically this hive might have just been scared off from the neighbor's place.

A beekeeper came today and opened up the wall. There were two combs and no honey, and he got stung twice under the armpit which was apparently quite painful. Unfortunately the really bad news is that we couldn't find the queen anywhere. And yet, the honeycomb had larvae which indicates something was laying, so we're not sure if we just missed the queen or what. In theory if the queen is successfully removed, all the bees just follow.

Sadly a bunch of bees flew out and died on the driveway etc. in the process, I guess tiring themselves out or something.