• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Airport sit-in
32qjkp9.jpg

MRYv3YD.jpg

The gathering is due to Police action yesterday resulting in police firing rubber bullet and blinding a young woman protester wearing safety google.

Live footage from the airport can be seen here - Also it has a censored picture of the girl shot in the eye in the link too.

Reason for the protest and current sit-in

Hong Kong started a protest due to a extradition bill that the CCP was proposing, that citizen of HK t hat are accused of a crime will be extradicated to China for trial.

And now protester have 5 demand

1. Take the extradiction bill away completely, it has only been remove temporary for now, HK people want a promise that it will not be brough up again, or in the future, HK Chief Executifve Carrie Lam (Think PM or President) have said it's being discussed away for now)

2. Release all arrested protester/activist that has been arrested and promise of no prosecution (700+ people arrested since june, 149 people arrested yesterday)

3. Open investagtion by third party or trusted orginization into police brutality action so far.

4. Change the wording of riot, since the June protest, Police have used riot to describe peaceful march to sit-in

5. Open election as promised between the CCP and Hong Kong handback to China, current system is China choose candidate, Hong Kong want open election by all citizen of Hong Kong with open candidate from Hong Kong Citizen.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Both sides are betting down more chips...

They changed the police tactic yesterday because they got a retired police chief back to run the new show.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Both sides are betting down more chips...

They changed the police tactic yesterday because they got a retired police chief back to run the new show.

That doesn't sound good.

Good on the people of Hong Kong. Smart move taking over the airport, as that will have a direct impact on the rest of the country too.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Stay strong to the people of hong kong. You are an inspiration. Real power is in the people.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Inspirational, but China will shut this shit down one way or another.

They can just wait it out.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hong Kong's protests are a beautiful thing. That clip of them all singing Les Mis was somethin. This is some David vs Goliath shit but I'm really pulling for them. They deserve every scrap of self determination they win.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017

damn the crowd there is massive, apparently they're getting out right now since word is that police are going to clear them out.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I think this really fucks with my flight plans but I'm not gonna complain too hard. They're doing the right thing.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, and I just read an article saying it was okay to travel there. Good luck getting in.

Good work, protesters. We're with you.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

damn the crowd there is massive, apparently they're getting out right now since word is that police are going to clear them out.

Yup, a friend there said they've cut the wifi in the airport, so I imagine they'll be moving in soon.

Expect a lot of fucked up shit to happen, the police chief who oversaw the umbrella and Mong Kok protests is back out of retirement...

Unsurprisingly, he has the full support of Beijing.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm worried about the end game, but hope for a peaceful resolution. Stay strong HK and let people power prevail.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Airport Emergency Response Centre has been launched, all flights in and out HK cancelled for today (from artcile in OP).

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know what the end game is, since they're doubling down and keep escalating this. I've been avoiding most news the past weekend.

Last I watched it was the interview with Carrie Lam saying the same shit about condemning violence while being passive aggressive about why she wasn't seeing the reporters.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Two main reason why this protest is at the airport

One is to support the person hit by police bullet and is possible blinded.

Second reason is to put pressure on Cathaway Pacific Airline and CEO Rupert Hogg in published email threaten staff with termination or other for participating in "illega protest", when at first was saying they support staff right to free speech, but after a talking to from China FAA, CEO change statement, so now the public is forcing him to choose a side.
Or specifically hurting their wallet.

Here is expert from Email of Cathway Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hong Kong's protests are a beautiful thing. That clip of them all singing Les Mis was somethin. This is some David vs Goliath shit but I'm really pulling for them. They deserve every scrap of self determination they win.

I wish it was David and Goliath, because David wins. I don't think that will be the outcome here.

KymTheSpud

Oct 28, 2017
Cumbria, UK
so my boss's son is actually at the airport right now, he's not sure whether to stay or to leave before the police...as you can imagine my boss is getting a little nervous...

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Two main reason why this protest is at the airport

One is to support the person hit by police bullet and is possible blinded.

Second reason is to put pressure on Cathaway Pacific Airline and CEO Rupert Hogg in published email threaten staff with termination or other for participating in "illega protest", when at first was saying they support staff right to free speech, but after a talking to from China FAA, CEO change statement, so now the public is forcing him to choose a side.
Or specifically hurting their wallet.

Here is expert from Email of Cathway Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg

Cathay Pacific are cowards. China put some pressure on them and they folded almost immediately.

onkelsander

Oct 29, 2017
thanks for the rundown OP, I've been curious about the HongKong situation, but havent gotten up to speed....Didnt know why they were still protesting...Seems legit, go HK....

vehn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Gf is moving back to HK in two months, and I'm most likely moving there next year (only visited once). Really hope these protests end soon and the bill gets scrapped forever. Would be the worst if China PLA stepped in

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
My Gf is moving back to HK in two months, and I'm most likely moving there next year (only visited once). Really hope these protests end soon and the bill gets scrapped forever. Would be the worst if China PLA stepped in

Let's say the bill is scrapped (highly unlikely at this point as it's matter of Beijing projecting their power and backing down is literally impossible for them), it'll still come into effect in 2047 when China takes full control of HK.

Enjoy HK though, it's an amazing place! I've had some of the best dim sum in the world there, can't wait to get back out and have me some goose feet!!

photonblack

Oct 27, 2017
People in most countries won't protest unless they have a permit allowing them to do so, the chances of any kind of uprising in most countries is nil.
They're not supposed to in Hong Kong right now. If and or whenever shit hits the fan, do you still think people would care about permits especially if rights are being shat upon on a massive scale?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
They're not supposed to in Hong Kong right now. If and or whenever shit hits the fan, do you still think people would care about permits especially if rights are being shat upon on a massive scale?

Rights are shat on a massive scale right now in the US and when some people decided to protest and in doing so stopped some traffic, all I saw was the majority complaining about how some slow traffic was an inconvenience and how those people should protest 'properly.' When people protested against the police, all I saw was condemnation and people taking the police's side because a few were injured or because a few shops and cars were damaged.

I think you underestimate just how important order is to most people.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In all sympathy I have for them, I hope it doesn't affect my flight in two weeks. I'm flying over Hong Kong to see my gf after 4 months so every day I can spend undelayed with her is precious.