• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Banned from YouTube? Or Banned from the Nintendo Programme?

Oct 25, 2017
Expected. Nintendo loves to whack people with their ban hammer. Honestly, good for them. It sets a good precedent.

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Intense ban, but makes sense given the hugeness of the release.

Amazon shipped my copy an hour ago. Maybe it'll arrive early tomorrow! Crossing my fingers

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I stream using Restream to a bunch of services, low key as I have barely any followers. I've had Mario today and been ploughing through it for about 7 hours and I was thinking about streaming it, but decided against it as I just wanted to settle in and enjoy it.

... How glad am I that I did now?

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is expected to be honest. You're taking a risk when you stream unreleased games like that. Use a burner account.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
As stated by almost everyone else, could have saw that coming from a mile. That's what dummy/burners are for. Nintendo does need to loosen the reigns though..

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its like Nintendo hates free promotion. Smh.

Oct 25, 2017
It's shit but not unexpected honestly.
I find disciplinary behavior to game leaks to be perfectly fine. Imagine you work really hard and pour your time and effort into a game you really want to surprise people with and then someone goes and posts videos of all the secrets you have kept hidden on purpose.

It's not okay to leak, but I guess we all know once games are out there in the wild the leaks will be inevitable anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I find disciplinary behavior to game leaks to be perfectly fine. Imagine you work really hard and pour your time and effort into a game you really want to surprise people with and then someone goes and posts videos of all the secrets you have kept hidden on purpose.

It's not okay to leak, but I guess we all know once games are out there in the wild the leaks will be inevitable anyway.

Oh no doubt. The streamer probably should have waited for the official release.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's BS that they were able to ban him from a site like Youtube if that's what happened.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I would be wary with this stuff any time, but Nintendo is known for being super strict with their games and watching everything.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand either Nintendo nor YouTube. If they bought the game legitimately, why ban them for streaming? If you see the need to delete the videos, whatever, go for it. But a ban seems rather much.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
How did they get banned three months? Is that normal for streaming games? Does YouTube care about Nintendo's Street dates?

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I agree that snapping down on streaming is pretty reasonable. You are definitely benefitting from it directly. However, I am the opposite for announcement leakers and early copy impressions.

Nintendo is probably in the right to ban early streamers and announcement leakers though. It is their product after all.

Last edited:

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
I understand taking the video down, but outright banning seems a bit much. What if YouTube was his only source of income?

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that snapping down on streaming is pretty reasonable. You are definitely benefitting from it directly. However, I am the opposite for announcement leakers and early copy impressions.

Nintendo is probably in the right to ban early streamers and announcement leakers though. It is their product after all..

Early copy impressions are perfectly fine. It's just that posting otherwise embargoed spoilers all over YouTube not.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Early copy impressions are perfectly fine. It's just that posting otherwise embargoed spoilers all over YouTube not.
Oh yeah those. Totally agree. The early streamers/walkthrough people who just run through the game as fast as possible to upload. Leaves a bitter taste honestly.

Also, don't you just hate it when YouTubers just blatently spoil stuff in the video thumbnail? Honestly the worst part of surfing YT in the days after a launch. I was somewhat spoiled on Persona 5. Hopefully won't happen for SMO

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand taking the video down, but outright banning seems a bit much. What if YouTube was his only source of income?

If it was his job, he should have been more responsible. Nintendo clearly stated there was an embargo, and he broke that. If he was employed at a game store, he probably would have gotten fired. A three month ban is lenient in comparison.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
If it was his job, he should have been more responsible. Nintendo clearly stated there was an embargo, and he broke that. If he was employed at a game store, he probably would have gotten fired. A three month ban is lenient in comparison.

Hm, I hadn't considered that perspective. Very fair point.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he should have been more careful regardless making Nintendo games before and after release is essentially suicide if you want to make it a living. Also the embargo doesn't hold people who didn't sign it accountable does it not? as long as he didn't get it early personally and instead got it from a local store. i know of a couple people who got AC,Wolf and Mario early because it was in stores. If that's the case which is almost impossible to determine unless he or Nintendo say that he received it early. Still think its dumb af that Nintendo can control who gets banned and who doesn't on a platform that they don't even own.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Why would YouTube enforce other companies' embargoes by banning their own users? Dumb.