• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
giphy.gif

People, please don't listen Syldat...

Destroying a time machine would not be "a powerful move that would resonate with Black People in the US"

They would just call you a fucking idiot.

If you aren't black, please don't speak on what the fuck is "best" for Black People or what "resonates" with us.

fed-up-woman.gif

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I can't WAIT to see what the actual ending is to this game now if this is the kind of heat y'all are gonna bring to the Arcade ladder endings

THIS ISN'T EVEN THE BEST ONE, Jacqui's is!

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I wonder, were the other attempts to make sure that Jax kept his family along the way?
Not only that but also because with how big an undertaking it is , of course he didn't get it right on first attempt. Still super cool to see him being his usual self having a heart bigger than life and taking cranking up everything to 11 .

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Would have been a nice parallel to Black people in the US helped by white people tearing down quite disgusting pro slavery statues.

Again the time travel magical Hourglass that Kronika uses is an elder Gods artifact that only one person can control at a time , and time travel is a way too big power for a single person to wield Elder God or not . So Elder Gods should have had the balls to destroy it on their own long ago.

Jax smashing it to pieces would have been doing the right thing and doing the thing that should have been done long ago in the first place too ...

Nooo ? Still not seeing why it would be a way more powerfull move that would have resonated with black people in the US a bit more and strike just the right note . Leading to a perfect delivery of the exact same idea while having their tiny proverb about duty and having to learn to dream bigger ?

Am I crazy here or what ?

Kinda, yeah. If I had the choice to fairly quickly correct the timeline and provide my people with a better life, or force them to work even harder and suffer further hardships in a system specifically engineered to keep them down, just for weird bootstraps bragging rights or whatever, I'd choose the former.

This is all hilarious because the MK timeline has already been shown to be malleable. Who's to say "our" reality is the correct one, anyway? Maybe slavery is an alteration to the proper non-slavery timeline, done by be last white Asshole who got the McGuffin, and Jax is just correcting it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Then all writers using fictional situations in sci-fi or fantasy to draw some fairly explicit parallels with our own current day issues are too ...

nuh uh, you don't get to bring them into this.
but you can make your own game about Jax and give it a better ending that more closely parallels current day where he decides to blow up the plot device and fight worldwide evil with hard work and optimism because that makes you feel better, if you want. Just don't expect to go platinum.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not only that but also because with how big an undertaking it is , of course he didn't get it right on first attempt. Still super cool to see him being his usual self having a heart bigger than life and taking cranking up everything to 11 .
I could imagine. At least MK doesn't go by multiverse theory.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
And yet I have played plenty enough for me to want other setups and other types of more complicated issues to be tackled in games naratives ;)

Such as this ending for example . Which again I freaking love the overall idea and just find that the delivery to be a bit off .

So are you saying ALMOST NONE of videogames kill Hitler fantasies are about how pointless that would be and how defeating fascist ideologies are way more complicated than killing him ?

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Who's to say "our" reality is the correct one, anyway? Maybe slavery is an alteration to the proper non-slavery timeline, done by be last white Asshole who got the McGuffin, and Jax is just correcting it.
And that very sentence of yours still doesn't make you realize why the freaking thing should be destroyed in the first place because the implications and ramifications and consequences of its very existence generate ????

I guess people truly are blinded by the allure of bein' able to travel back in time huh ...

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I like that he said he lived the "American Dream" but others that look like him didn't have it so easy. I like that he thought outside of his own situation. This comes off so odd to me as someone who knows little about MK. So much killing and dismemberment, but then you have such a warm and fuzzy ending like this. Is MK always like this?

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh christ, I was looking up some MK11 stuff on youtube and I saw someone made a video about Jax's ending and titled: Jax and the Pandering. Shouldn't be surprised, but still.

Also, it was taken down a few minutes ago but:
during one of Shao Kahn's intros, he told Kollector that he would make Outworld great again. Also, Jax mocked Kahn by asking him if he needed a safe space. Wonder how that will go.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
And that very sentence of yours still doesn't make you realize why the freaking thing should be destroyed in the first place because the implications and ramifications and consequences of its very existence generate ????

So smash it after you make the timeline how you want, then. You don't understand why everyone may not want to give their blood, sweat, and tears for parity?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I large amount of African American men would do the same with time travel? Who even has issue with a world without slavery? Just people who are pro-slavery?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
So smash it after you make the timeline how you want, then. You don't understand why everyone may not want to give their blood, sweat, and tears for parity?

That person is advocating that the proper way for black people to exist is go through suffering and anguish and not even try to change it.

Its bothering me so much that he keeps repeating it over and over in this thread. Its fucked up

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
No I do I truly do but then again what gives me (or Jax in the case of that ending) the right to decide of that on my very own with complete disregard to everyone else's consent more than anyone else ?
The moral implications are just too big again no single individual God or not should be allowed to make that call on their own with complete disregard for others .

Once again at the risk of repeating myself "Guess people truly are blinded by the allure of bein' able to go back in time" .

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
entered the thread expecting the ending to be a riff on the epically horribad MK4 Jax ending

anyway... i see no issue. an african american character gets to change history. hmm whatever option would they choose??

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I like that he said he lived the "American Dream" but others that look like him didn't have it so easy. I like that he thought outside of his own situation. This comes off so odd to me as someone who knows little about MK. So much killing and dismemberment, but then you have such a warm and fuzzy ending like this. Is MK always like this?

"Does it occasionally have single player endings that are actually good and cool and everything works out for the best?" Yes
"Do all single player endings end up like this one?" Nooooope

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It was less corny than I expected. I think this sort of easy reverting of grotesque history is a bit clumsy but the unwashed hordes complaining about this thing for racist motivations can be smelled from a mile away.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Oh christ, I was looking up some MK11 stuff on youtube and I saw someone made a video about Jax's ending and titled: Jax and the Pandering. Shouldn't be surprised, but still.

Also, it was taken down a few minutes ago but:
during one of Shao Kahn's intros, he told Kollector that he would make Outworld great again. Also, Jax mocked Kahn by asking him if he needed a safe space. Wonder how that will go.

Too bad he doesn't say it to Kotal Khan with his Mexican Aztec/Nahuatl inspired design.
I would be so motivated to kill Shao Khan then...

Last edited:

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It was less corny than I expected. I think this sort of easy reverting of grotesque history is a bit clumsy but the unwashed hordes complaining about this thing for racist motivations can be smelled from a mile away.
Sadly you can't stop the alt-rights from yelling about any piece of media that paints marginals of any kind in a positive light ...
They were already yelling about the women of the roster having more senstive 3D models anyway .
Netherealms are doing a fine job at shooing away those idiots and its for the better. I wouldn't be surprised to see MK 11 becoming the most succesfull fighting game and therefore the new reccord to beat in the genre in terms of sales figures.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
No I do I truly do but then again what gives me (or Jax in the case of that ending) the right to decide of that on my very own with complete disregard to everyone else's consent more than anyone else ?
The moral implications are just too big again no single individual God or not should be allowed to make that call on their own with complete disregard for others .

Once again at the risk of repeating myself "Guess people truly are blinded by the allure of bein' able to go back in time" .

Time has already shown to be malleable on the basis of one person's whim, and there's already no "canon", objective way that things "should be".

Everyone's endings are about people using the device for their own whims. Unless you want every good guy ending to be them destroying the device, you only seem to be objecting to a black man using it.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
That's uh...a completely awesome and sensible ending for Jax. I love how instead of just making him a dude who happens to be black, his ending gets to the heart of the fact that he is a black man, and he has concerns a white man wouldn't.

Fucking great.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
That person is advocating that the proper way for black people to exist is go through suffering and anguish and not even try to change it.

Its bothering me so much that he keeps repeating it over and over in this thread. Its fucked up
The part I like best is them continually avoiding responding to your criticisms

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Time has already shown to be malleable on the basis of one person's whim, and there's already no "canon", objective way that things "should be".

Everyone's endings are about people using the device for their own whims. Unless you want every good guy ending to be them destroying the device, you only seem to be objecting to a black man using it.
I have not seen the other endings yet I have precised it I don't own the game just yet and I already wanted it for a long while given all the communication around it . I'll buy it next thing when payday finally lands so for now outside of the gameplay trailers and some character reveals and now Jax's ending I have yet to discover the rest of the game.

And because I don't own it yet who's to say that the other endings of them using it doesn't end up with catastrophic consequences , and have Jax know better than the rest of the entire cast ?

I'm not taking issues with a black man using it I'm wanting for all the other to be fairly idiotic and use it badly and him knowing better than anyone else .

Again "blinded by the allure of going back in time" everybody fucks up equally as bad if not worse than Kronika herself and Jax is the only one to do the right thing.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
There is some value in keeping a mental list of people outwardly upset and actively arguing against the idea of eradicating the American slave trade in a fictional setting.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

17 page thread and no mod seen it. Guess everybody "sleep" lol

Fucking dumb as hell

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Kinda weird to have an ending where Jax seems to fix shit with no bad consequences on the side, but Jacqui's is effectively the opposite of that.
Yea, you would think with everyone having multiple chances to change everything, Jacqui couldn't have made a timeline where Jax doesn't have to go through the trauma but yet still meets his wife somehow.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Is this going to be the first 1,000 post thread backfire?
To be frank the OP peace out right after posting it almost certainly because no one think it the ending to be controversial. Clumsy yes could have been done better yes , but controversial ? Nah

Jax is awesome has always been will always be and that ending is equally as awesome as all things Jax .

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Nothing better then leaving a thread earlier in the day when every response was pretty well thought out, to coming back to the defense of chattel slavery and that MKII should take a realistic view on solving world problems because we all know when writers whip out time travel and MK are serious when it comes to literary devices.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It can be, and since they rebooted the series with MK9, it's been far more thoughtful.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Wow, that's it? That's what people are having meltdowns about? This world is fucked.
Yeah Jax being his usual self heart bigger than life thinks about everyone expects himself goes back in time to prevent black people's suffering and all of a sudden all the alt-rights boys gets their panties in a knot because of it .

OP probably thought he would get some thumbs up on this , only to find people going "the fuck is wrong with you the ending is awesome" .

Bowling Pin

One Winged Slayer
Dec 9, 2017
Why are people taking affront to the ending when it purposely leaves out Jax's actual method of attaining it?

He says to dream bigger. Everyone with the argument that erasing chattel slavery in the United States would leave either the world unrecognizable or even worse off isn't even trying to imagine a scenario where things wind up being familiar, but better in every imaginable way.

Jax at this point is an immortal time god. He mentions that it takes several iterations of modifying the timeline to get to the point where he, his wife and child are still born. Going by the other fighters' endings, it probably took a near eternity to get this ideal timeline in motion.

But let's say he goes back and steers humanity towards technological breakthroughs centuries ahead of time, and leads the most powerful heads of states into designing egalitarian societies, while deterring the slave trade in Africa (and possibly everywhere else in the world) through some combination of the above.

Let's say you can adjust history to make colonialism an unattractive and costly policy for western Europe. Maybe you can find a compromise between isolationism and colonialism. Maybe the heads of the Church have a series of epiphanies that steer civilization towards brotherhood and tolerance.

What if you had infinite time, and infinite resources, to solve each of the fundamental issues with civilization that lead to the institution of slavery? Because that's what Jax has. We don't know how, precisely, he pulls it off, but he does.

In conclusion, fuck Doctor Who.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People remember the culture, but not the Pain. No slavery also means no Jim Crow, no lynching, no Tulsa Race Riots, No Rosewood, No Tuskagee Expertiments, No MOVE Firebombing, and a near infinite other things
The culture doesn't happen without the pain, though. Without all the hardship, Ralph Ellison doesn't write Invisible Man. Louis Armstrong doesn't play the trumpet. MLK doesn't become a preacher.

It seems like Jax is Black Thanos, trading a whole lot of good (and a whole lot of bad) for some kind of greater ultimate goal.

There are countless implications in all sort of directions with scenarios like these once you really start thinking about it. You'd likely be hard pressed to find anyone alive today whose existence is not ultimately the product of human suffering stretching back thousands of years. Whether that be something like centuries of slave trade, famines resulting in mass migration, pandemics, wars, etc etc.

But at the same time you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere in terms of what scope you want for the storytelling when dealing with time travel and changing history as a plot points and not get bogged down by a virtually infinite variable of what ifs.

I don't expect Netherealm to fully explore the implications of Jax's actions in a 2-3 minute videogame ending, but damned if it doesn't seem like a premise worthy of a much broader story. How many people and progressions would you give up to write away one of history's greatest wrongs?

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Why are people taking affront to the ending when it purposely leaves out Jax's actual method of attaining it?

He says to dream bigger. Everyone with the argument that erasing chattel slavery in the United States would leave either the world unrecognizable or even worse off isn't even trying to imagine a scenario where things wind up being familiar, but better in every imaginable way.

Jax at this point is an immortal time god. He mentions that it takes several iterations of modifying the timeline to get to the point where he, his wife and child are still born. Going by the other fighters' endings, it probably took a near eternity to get this ideal timeline in motion.

But let's say he goes back and steers humanity towards technological breakthroughs centuries ahead of time, and leads the most powerful heads of states into designing egalitarian societies, while deterring the slave trade in Africa (and possibly everywhere else in the world) through some combination of the above.

Let's say you can adjust history to make colonialism an unattractive and costly policy for western Europe. Maybe you can find a compromise between isolationism and colonialism. Maybe the heads of the Church have a series of epiphanies that steer civilization towards brotherhood and tolerance.

What if you had infinite time, and infinite resources, to solve each of the fundamental issues with civilization that lead to the institution of slavery? Because that's what Jax has. We don't know how, precisely, he pulls it off, but he does.

In conclusion, fuck Doctor Who.
Ultimately that's why I'm upset I wanted to see a bit more and see Jax actually delivering on that being his awesome self . Your path is cool but I wanted more . That's the thing the subject kind of requires a bit more than this short one .
Again the idea is tempting there are a myriad of possible paths but that's the thing none have been shown , we're just left to assume how he did it , and well that's a bit too oversimplifying things for comfort.

Again we're not against the premise and the very idea just that the delivery is very clumsy as it is right now .

Also yeah fuck Doctor Who give us Jax instead .

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, so it's implied he goes back and basically nips slavery in the bud? Pretty cool.
Amazing that people are up in arms about this. You can see on YT that clowns were "expressing concern" about leaked ending info before the game was even released.

Slightly OT, but am I the only one freaked out by the thought of all those history rewrites? Jax straight up says he got it "wrong" a bunch of times... Kind of dark if you think too hard about it.

Edit: Oh, I just found the game releases tomorrow. LOL! Explains why WB are in a hurry to take the videos down.
To those invested in this series: Get out of this thread! Spoilers/leaks suck! Play the game and enjoy it for yourselves!

Last edited: