• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Jax was always awesome, but this is straight-up perfect. I'm still waiting until a Komplete Edition to get this game, but I'd absolutely play a Jax-centric game following this story.

What is the problem with the ending?

That NRS is "pandering" by having a black character desire a world where everything's familiar but slavery never existed. That's it.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Slightly OT, but am I the only one freaked out by the thought of all those history rewrites? Jax straight up says he got it "wrong" a bunch of times... Kind of dark if you think too hard about it.
Yeah that's also what I can't shake away with them showing so little I can't help but imagine how many times and how profoundly he royally fucked up and also the unspeakable psychological trauma it will leaves him wtih . That's why I'm a bit nit picky about it , then again for how clumsy as it is , it is still an awesome ending to have .
And a friend of mine confirmed me without telling me the details that pretty much all the others are either blinded by the device and essentially become enslaved by it constantly retconning time to their desires and therefore never tuly satisfied , or royally screw up something. Which furthered down my intial hunch that though the device allows you to travel back in time , the device itself never brings desirable outcomes and is evil in some capacity, hence I would have rather see Jax recognizing evil where he sees it and ultimately smash the fuck out ot if.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck wouldn't end slavery before it could begin? Wut?

I mean, the ending, as short at it is, even points out that he both ends/prevents slavery but keeps all the good stuff.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, so it's implied he goes back and basically nips slavery in the bud? Pretty cool.
Amazing that people are up in arms about this. You can see on YT that clowns were "expressing concern" about leaked ending info before the game was even released.

Slightly OT, but am I the only one freaked out by the thought of all those history rewrites? Jax straight up says he got it "wrong" a bunch of times... Kind of dark if you think too hard about it.

That's something that he kept on trying until he got it right because...

Jacqui didn't try it until she got it right with her ending and just did the ultimate sacrifice instead.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I've never been a huge Mortal Kombat fan, but the series' narrative has always fascinated me -- I've even been watching MK lore videos on YouTube up to the release of MK11, even though I don't plan on buying the game. It looks like the story is as out there as ever, and this is a super interesting turn. It brings a smile to my face.

I think the fact that we've seen a thousand "go back in time and kill Hitler" stories but have rarely seen a black person (or any other person, really) using time travel to prevent slavery in science fiction is proof enough that it's a narrative turn worth taking.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I think the fact that we've seen a thousand "go back in time and kill Hitler" stories but have rarely seen a black person (or any other person, really) using time travel to prevent slavery in science fiction is proof enough that it's a narrative turn worth taking.
Hell I would watch the shit out of any film that tries to portray it tastefully . So it would need to be the entire plot . Same for games that explores that idea further than Coket Vision's "Lost In Time" .

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah that's also what I can't shake away with them showing so little I can't help but imagine how many times and how profoundly he royally fucked up and also the unspeakable psychological trauma it will leaves him wtih . That's why I'm a bit nit picky about it , then again for how clumsy as it is , it is still an awesome ending to have .
And a friend of mine confirmed me without telling me the details that pretty much all the others are either blinded by the device and essentially become enslaved by it constantly retconning time to their desires and therefore never tuly satisfied , or royally screw up something. Which furthered down my intial hunch that though the device allows you to travel back in time , the device itself never brings desirable outcomes and is evil in some capacity, hence I would have rather see Jax recognizing evil where he sees it and ultimately smash the fuck out ot if.

Ah, interesting. Kind of like a "Monkey's Paw" deal? I wonder what the price was for Jax to achieve his "perfect" outcome.

That's something that he kept on trying until he got it right because...

Jacqui didn't try it until she got it right with her ending and just did the ultimate sacrifice instead.
I see. Still, it's creepy to think of all those timelines that he might have messed up, trying to achieve it. (See above.)
Probably one of the happier endings, but still...

Edit:
The other forum is blowing a gasket over this. Who knew so many people would be triggered at black fantasy. 🤷🏾‍♂️😂
Seriously?
Sometimes I consider visiting that place out of some morbid curiosity. Thanks for convincing me that it's a bad idea.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
The other forum is blowing a gasket over this. Who knew so many people would be triggered at black fantasy. 🤷🏾‍♂️😂
Why am I not even surprised ? Hell there are still idiots on twitter that are complaining about Black Panther ...

Ah, interesting. Kind of like a "Monkey's Paw" deal? I wonder what the price was for Jax to achieve his "perfect" outcome.
Essentially here is what I have been told by my friend
"They all have fairly idotic decision regarding how to use the hourglass , no really they all fuck up , Frost essentially get power hungy and becomes addicted to it constantly retconning things never leaving time take its natural course , Scorpion also falls to temptation but for him he keep getting furhter back in time to the point of discovering that there are stronger beings that can and actually do meddle proactively with how it even funtions so yeah the hourglass is an all around poisonous gift really"

Last edited:

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I see. Still, it's creepy to think of all those timelines that he might have messed up, trying to achieve it. (See above.)
Probably one of the happier endings, but still...

Edit:

Seriously?
Sometimes I consider visiting that place out of some morbid curiosity. Thanks for convincing me that it's a bad idea.

I think it's best you play the game or wait for WB to stop taking down videos, story and concept are a bit of doozy...All things considered.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If one could go back in time and kill Hitler for instance. Wouldn't that drastically alter the entire timeline?

For instance, many of us might not even exist anymore and I have no idea what the world would be like or if another form of evil would spring up in its place. Even me going back in time to change my own life, would have serious ramifications for myself and other people.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
If one could go back in time and kill Hitler for instance. Wouldn't that drastically alter the entire timeline?

For instance, many of us might not even exist anymore and I have no idea what the world would be like or if another form of evil would spring up in its place. Even me going back in time to change my own life, would have serious ramifications for myself and other people.
I think that's the point, isn't it? Jax endured all those various ramifications over and over, eventually to land on a timeline that he felt was right.

It's quite thought-provoking, in a way beyond what I expected a series like MK to be capable of tbh!
That's probably why all these idiots are mad. They've never experienced a single thought in their miserable lives, and the new sensation is frightening for them.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck em. It's just the same 15 people blowing smoke up each other's asses

ON TOPIC: I love the ending... it's not nuanced but it's MORTAL KOMBAT
Pretty much. You could obviously go into detail about how altering time could cause such and such catastrophe, but that's completely missing the point and even somewhat addressed in it.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I think that's the point, isn't it? Jax endured all those various ramifications over and over, eventually to land on a timeline that he felt was right.

It's quite thought-provoking, in a way beyond what I expected a series like MK to be capable of tbh!
That's probably why all these idiots are mad. They've never experienced a single thought in their miserable lives, and the new sensation is frightening for them.
Yeah pretty much , hell try to imagine what Nood Saibot or even Sindel would do with the hourglass .... brrrr just thinking about it makes my skin shivers in horror

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Well for a fighting game of all games to provoke me into thinking about time travel and the effects it would have on the present and present people's existence is interesting and compelling.

I am probably just over analyzing all of this, considering it's only a video game. But the butterfly effect does intrigue me personally.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

It's not really a monkey's paw, most of the characters get positive outcomes with few to no downsides.

EDIT: in the arcade modes, I mean. Story mode's a whole other thing (which I haven't finished, mind).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even in time travel racist white people would rather anyone black be given a wooden rifle to change history with

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

bro who the fuck cares its a videogame

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It's not really a monkey's paw, most of the characters get positive outcomes with few to no downsides.

EDIT: in the arcade modes, I mean. Story mode's a whole other thing (which I haven't finished, mind).
My friend gave the exact opposite impression that even when they do eventually put things right it was at the price of them screwing up badly first .
I'm even more impatient to play it. Because the game looks amazing already an all fronts , and also because now I wanted to see those endings (in game not in a youtube video) even more .

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how every damn abrahamic scripture insist on how much murder is bad and yet here we are constantly killing each other.
Again ending discrimination slavery racism homophobia isn't as easy as rewriting some books and some timelines. No really sorry to give Jax more credit and more intelligence than you all and thinking that Jax knows all too well that those problems can't solved that way and that a time travel device isn't gonna solve that kind of issue and in fact would if anything make the situation even worse ...
And you do realize that this ending suggest that Jax prevented slavery from ever happening in any place of the world right ?

Again I'm not against the ending and if anything like I said but apparently you need to insist like real hard over here . I find the ending funny and uplifting but I find it tremendously out of character from Jax , and think that he would be intelligent enough to know that a time travel device won't help solving this kind of issues because it can't fix those issues.

So what now am I a racist for thinking that Jax would have actually acted differently ?

So literally #NotMyJax?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's an argument to be made that changing the timeline is irresponsible because it could fuck up more than it helps. Like if I go back in time and kill Julius Caesar to keep him from killing and enslaving half of the Gauls (his campaign killed a million and enslaved a million out of a population of about 4 million), does the Roman Empire ever form/rise to dominance? And without the Roman Empire the world would be almost unrecognizable.

But, this is a videogame. It's fiction. Who cares? How the hell is it controversial with anyone (unless of course you are a racist asshole)

It's a fantasy. You can think something is a cool fictional premise without thinking it would be feasible in real life.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Is this one of those attempts at creating outrage that backfired?

This isn't that different to C&C Red Alert, or Playa Haters Time Travellers.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
People talking about disappearing because a horrible thing didn't happen always bug me with time travel stuff.

African Americans won't suddenly not exist if slavery didn't happen. They most likely would have came to America just like everyone else did. Just by their own free will and not in chains.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
My friend gave the exact opposite impression that even when they do eventually put things right it was at the price of them screwing up badly first .
I'm even more impatient to play it. Because the game looks amazing already an all fronts , and also because now I wanted to see those endings (in game not in a youtube video) even more .

Again, I've only seen the arcade endings, but I can tell you that description you shared of the Frost ending isn't really accurate, for one.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The YT Links in the Thread are broken so I searched "MK11 Jax Ending" on Youtube myself and ho boy lol. I always forget how prevalent those alt-right and no-PC types are on youtube. Still didn't find the actual ending though lol.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The YT Links in the Thread are broken so I searched "MK11 Jax Ending" on Youtube myself and ho boy lol. I always forget how prevalent those alt-right and no-PC types are on youtube. Still didn't find the actual ending though lol.
Guarantee you all of those videos were made by white dudes.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Must have been quite the collection of dipshits neckbeards you've been faced with ...

Oct 26, 2017

LOL I just had the exact same experience, just a bunch of stereotypical neckbeard looking white guys complaining about how bad it is.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Can't see the video

But just thinking about the fact that Mortal Kombat devs are purposefully adding this sort of things in their games, makes me chuckle. World is changing, slowly, unbearably snailpace at times, but it is.

LOL I just had the exact same experience, just a bunch of stereotypical neckbeard looking white guys complaining about how bad it is.
I think we watched the same neckbeard guy talking "seriously".

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Hell that's precisely why I advocate that a way better ending would have been him thinking about it for a second then shaking himeself out of it and proceed to destroy the fricking thing in front of a quite shocked Raiden (remember that the device is an elder gods old artifact on top of being a time travel device) would have been driving home the message even more intelligently and even further and would have been an all around way bigger power move.

Jax knew better , Jax destroy the shit out of it with no regrets , then Raiden asked "we could have solved so many problems with it" , Jax "That's not the way to go , we can do it on our own , with our sweat and dedication and anyone who thinks we can't needs to learn to dream bigger" ...

Still same overall idea way better delivery.

Jax would never be so selfish as to say that those who suffered far more than he should endure it because we can build off their suffering

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Oh God, Jax used time travel not for selfishness, but for a noble reason erasing the entire existence of slavery altogether... Saving millions upon millions of minorities from lives of subjugation, terror and suffering.

OP: What a dick.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
People, please don't listen Syldat...

Destroying a time machine would not be "a powerful move that would resonate with Black People in the US"

They would just call you a fucking idiot.

TheSyldat I think you must be a fucking idiot coming to that conclusion.
And DigitalOp I would take a guess and say all of black people in the Americas would agree that that was stupid.

Inuhanyou The fuck is your issue? You just stupid or what? You think Hitler not getting the power would keep your sorry black ass safe? You would be a fixture in time? Jim Crow is enough? All I see is your selfishness and not considering anything or anyone else. Fuck outta here boy. One question tho, what are you about? You been wiling all over this board with fucked up messages. Starting to think you part of the fuckery.

Feb 24, 2018
Well personally I like Skittles way more then Smarties and I don't eat M&M because of the beetle shells used in the making of the Red ones...

Sorry what? Oh right I'm discussing something more controversial then this ending because it isn't controversial in the slightest.

Oct 27, 2017
Man why are people talking as if this ending would even be realistic?

It is a power fantasy. Everyone has it so why does this become an issue here instead of the countless "kill Hitler" fantasy?

And let's say it happened, wouldn't this power fantasy solve a lot of issues we have these days? Black people would be treated way better than right now. If anything, this alone would be worth it.