• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
21 pages. Whew boy a lot of you "this could've been done better" really are bothered by the fictional ending of slavery.

If it was anything else you wouldn't care bravo

Nerds always care about time travel. Some just don't know when to turn their analytical brain off for certain entertainment. (Also, yes, I'm sure there are some racists too)

This is "Mortal Kombat". It's not "Primer". Jax said he made the world a better place for everyone. I'll take him at his word and enjoy the sentiment of this ending.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Jax undoing slavery is apparently too much in a game where if Sonya gets the hourglass she
goes back in time to kill Cthulhu and then form a D&D adventuring party with her extended family

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
is it hate of time travel, or a belief that the evils of slavery have to be defeated post-event, with indirect action and hard work that deals with the painful after effects. because taking that much action unilaterally is evil!
Again it could be litteraly anything else and I would still take issue with a single individual when faced with the possibility to wipe out an entire timeline out of existence be okay with it and proceed to meddle with time functionaly killing the entire mankind of the current timeline . Unilateral unshared control over time space continuum is absolute power and absolute power corrupts absolutely how hard is that fucking grasp for fuck sake ?
You failing to understand that is you failing the basic morality check that this question poses to you .

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Again it could be litteraly anything else and I would still take issue with a single individual when faced with the possibility to wipe out an entire timeline out of existence be okay with it and proceed to meddle with time functionaly killing the entire mankind of the current timeline . Unilateral unshared control over time space continuum is absolute power and absolute power corrupts absolutely how hard is that fucking grasp for fuck sake ?
You failing to understand that is you failing the basic morality check that this question poses to you .
ok. but you love the ending but hate everything about it, so here on page 22 i'm going to stop trying to figure out how that works, lol.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
ok. but you love the ending but hate everything about it, so here on page 22 i'm going to stop trying to figure out how that works, lol.
Because of course no one ever in the whole world can be both enjoying the fuck out of piece of writing and yet still find some joy in trying to think how could have it been made better and better tackle it's subject. Every single bit of criticism ever always come from a place of hate ...
That maybe not what you meant but that's litteraly how you came across .
And your constant straw maning of my words are not helping either .

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yup pretty much , you can convince your past self to listen better and concentrate better at school slowly gain knowledge enough to gain a better understanding of the universe and its rules , etc etc etc etc .
Having absolute time travel capacity essentially brings you the opportunity to get ever closer to omniscience , which then leads to almost omnipotence through gained knowledge. You'll never be a true Demi Urge being but you're damn close to it .
People failing this basic morality check of recognizing that this power essentially leads you to disregard all life and toy with it to your heart's content and it bears tremendous consenquences that are too big for a single individual to take on is quite frightening ...

Who decides what the "correct" timeline is?

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Jax travels back in time and ends slavery? That is goddamn amazing, are you kidding me? Of course racist bigots will take issue with the ending, GOOD!

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have to admit I'm surprised where this went. When I read the OP, I assumed that some might be offended at what could be considered a trite or glib take on a dead serious issue thats affected pretty much every race and culture on the planet, which I can understand. there's been a lot of well intentioned media thats tried similar things and missed the mark in various ways. What this ended up being is not something I expected.

EDIT: I just watched the ending, its an afro-futurism based Utopia, I don't get the controversy at all. The people who are triggered by this kinda scare me a bit to be honest.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The fact that you keep on asking that same question over and over again in all seriousness just goes to show that you constantly fail that basic morality check .
That answer might not please you but it's an answer nontheless .

The fact that you refuse to answer it is really weird.

You're saying Jax has "failed a morality check" by engineering a world that is better than the one he was from. The standard of living in this reality is apparently better across the board. Why is this a falling on his part?

Jan 11, 2018
You literally have to be a racist to be against fiction that depicts someone who uses the powers of time to undo slavery in America, an objectively dark page in history.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Wait, shit, I missed something. What were people mad about with the Doom Eternal trailer? That shit was fantastic.
Bunch of neckbeards making video about how Doom Eternal made "snowflake SJW" mad because of some parts of it ...
Spinning their wheels over nothing .
Do a quick youtube research about reactions on the trailer and you'll see their videos popping up hell Shaun even made a video about those idiots.

It's basically Shaun debunking those videos .

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it sounds great until you realize the ripple effect that's going to have on all of time. Wouldn't that change history so dramatically that the vast majority of people after that point wouldn't have ever existed in the first place?

Butterfly effect? Sure? Its also just a video game, and we have had countless numbers of them allow us to do stuff like kill Hitler without folks going "Yeah but what about unintended effects on the timeline tho!". So I don't really see why thats an issue all of a sudden.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
The fact that you refuse to answer it is really weird.

You're saying Jax has "failed a morality check" by engineering a world that is better than the one he was from. The standard of living in this reality is apparently better across the board. Why is this a falling on his part?
Read back what I said about using time travel in anyway makes you essentially a Demi Urge . Using time travel at all is essentially failing a morality check .
Once again this is me answering the question , regardless of wether the answer satisfies you doesn't matter it is the answer given to your question

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Jax erases Slavery.....

"U FAILED THE MOST BASIC MORALITY CHECK

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference
."

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Butterfly effect? Sure? Its also just a video game, and we have had countless numbers of them allow us to do stuff like kill Hitler without folks going "Yeah but what about unintended effects on the timeline tho!". So I don't really see why thats an issue all of a sudden.
Yeah, I decided not to think about it too hard shortly after that.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Read back what I said about using time travel in anyway makes you essentially a Demi Urge . Using time travel at all is essentially failing a morality check .
Once again this is me answering the question , regardless of wether the answer satisfies you doesn't matter it is the answer given to your question

"Using time travel is bad because using time travel is bad" isn't an argument, though.

I get that you are concerned about denying others their autonomy, but who is to say they haven't already been denied their autonomy? The Mortal Kombat universe pre-Jax changes was already a deviant timeline due to Raiden messing with it. Why do the people in that timeline have any more right to exist than the people that existed in the original timeline?

If you change the timeline, the people from the shunted timeline never even existed, so how can you deny them autonomy?

Whatever is reality is reality. The people who exist will perceive it as the only reality they've ever known. Hell, reality could be constantly being changed for us, but as we're part of reality, we have no way of observing it, and thus would be perfectly unaware.

Jax used his power selflessly to make things better for everyone, and left it at that. He's down to earth, so he helped everyone out and didn't do anything ridiculous like make himself king or whatever. I'd say that's more moral than saying "no, people deserve to suffer because I personally have decided that time travel is inherently evil".

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
but he makes the world better for everyone with no consequences
At the costs of killing off the previous timeline and any forms of life in it not just humans , and although the new timeline people will never know he will have to leave with that burden .
How is that so complicated to understand . Any mortal kombat character and even any character in any piece of fiction faced with that opportunity that seizes iit , is essentially foregoing their morality , and foregoing the respect and care and compassion due to all forms of life in their current timeline .
Just like the ending of Wargames "strange game the only winning move is NOT to play" .
How many times will have to reformulate that seriously ?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the costs of killing off the previous timeline and any forms of life in it not just humans , and although the new timeline people will never he will have to leave with that burden .
How is that so complicated to understand . Any mortal kombat character and even any character faced with that opportunity and seizing it , is essentially foregoing their morality , and foregoing the respect and care and compassion due to all forms of life in their current timeline .
Just like the ending of Wargames "strange game the only winning move is NOT to play" .
How many times will have to reformulate that seriously ?

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Bunch of neckbeards making video about how Doom Eternal made "snowflake SJW" mad because of some parts of it ...
Spinning their wheels over nothing .
Do a quick youtube research about reactions on the trailer and you'll see their videos popping up hell Shaun even made a video about those idiots.

It's basically Shaun debunking those videos .

This reply doesn't actually say what specifically people were mad about.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
This reply doesn't actually say what specifically people were mad about.
Because there was no one mad , that's the idea , the guy making a video saying that Jax's ending is a call for white genocide , is the same guy with the same tactic as the one making a fake outrage video about doom eternal .

Hell that's probably why the OP peaced the fucked out right after posting that video he thought he would get some thumbs up and founnd us (me included) saying that no the ending is great .

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
At the costs of killing off the previous timeline and any forms of life in it not just humans

Nobody is being killed. Jax's ending also specifically shows that although the circumstances of the world have drastically changed his wife and daughter still exist, as well.

Any mortal kombat character and even any character in any piece of fiction faced with that opportunity that seizes iit , is essentially foregoing their morality , and foregoing the respect and care and compassion due to all forms of life in their current timeline .

"Current timeline" is carrying a lot of weight there. Again, why does the current timeline matter any more than any other potential timeline? Because it's the reality Jax is aware of?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

This is the crucial thing about this ending

This is not a situation like Chrono Trigger to Chrono Cross where you both 1) completely fuck over anyone in the deleted timelines, and; 2) end up triggering unexpected events that still pose a threat to the planet. In that kind of situation, yeah, you would have a moral dilemna in the sense that you'd have to admit that you're building a utopia on the deletion and bodies of the lives of trillions.

Mortal Kombat never presents with such a dilemna. This is not a Twisted Metal situation where you know that Calyspo is going to fuck over Jax with this wish. This is a situation where Jax quite literally has his cake and eats it too; don't think about it too hard and just assume that he made things better for everyone who existed/will exist.

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I didn't think anything could get the gaming alt-right crowd to "show their hand" as blatantly as to get upset over the loss of slavery.

Escalates this from a goofy novelty ending to probably one of my favorite fighting game arcade endings.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the crucial thing about this ending

This is not a situation like Chrono Trigger to Chrono Cross where you both 1) completely fuck over anyone in the deleted timelines, and; 2) end up triggering unexpected events that still pose a threat to the planet. In that kind of situation, yeah, you would have a moral dilemna in the sense that you'd have to admit that you're building a utopia on the deletion and bodies of the lives of trillions.

Mortal Kombat never presents with such a dilemna. This is not a Twisted Metal situation where you know that Calyspo is going to fuck over Jax with this wish. This is a situation where Jax quite literally has his cake and eats it too; don't think about it too hard and just assume that he made things better for everyone who existed/will exist.
for real. they spell it out and show you his family is still the same and never show anyone as dead or whatever.

It's jax's arcade ending...

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
"Current timeline" is carrying a lot of weight there. Again, why does the current timeline matter any more than any other potential timeline? Because it's the reality Jax is aware of?
It's the one that he is coming from it's the one that is therefore the current ongoinng flow of time , you breaking that flow to reshape it to your liking is you foregoing the previous flow therefore you killing off everyone in it , be it Jax be it Kronika be it Scorpion .

If a God did create our universe and has the power to reshape time and decide to do so said God is an immoral evil God . Even if said God is exterior to to our universe and watches and acts upon it from a different location said God wiping a timeline to start a new killed everyone in the previous timeline . Us not being aware is irrelevant.
Weilding the hourglass that Korinka uses essentially places you in the shoes of a Demi Urge being , regardless of what you do with the hourglass regardless of why regardless of how , each time you use you forego all morality at the benefit of your bigger picture vision .

You may not view it as such I do . No seriously if all you have is coming back at me with "nu-uh it doesn't do taht" just don't , we will never agree on this one .

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the one that he is coming from it's the one that is therefore the current ongoinng flow of time , you breaking that flow to reshape it to your liking is you foregoing the previous flow therefore you killing off everyone in it , be it Jax be it Kronika be it Scorpion .

If a God did create our universe and has the power to reshape time and decide to do so said God is an immoral evil God . Even if said God is exterior to to our universe and watches and acts upon it from a different location said God wiping a timeline to start a new killed everyone in the previous timeline .
Weilding the hourglass that Korinka uses essentially places you in the shoes of a Demi Urge being , regardless of what you do with the hourglass regardless of why regardless of how , each time you use you forego all morality at the benefit of your bigger picture vision .

You may not view it as such I do . No seriously if all you have is coming back at me with "nu-uh it doesn't do taht" just don't , we will never agree on this one .
Being a demiurge is good in this case because it ends up better for everyone with no consequences

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Jax fucking about with time travel for an optimal outcome isn't a new thing because MK9 had Raiden send back information to his past self to basically stop the end of time. He can't be judged in any ethical or moral sense because if he was adhering to those concepts to the letter he'd have to basically revert everything to a timeline where Blaze ends reality by devouring existence itself.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Being a demiurge is good in this case because it ends up better for everyone with no consequences
For the rest of the world yes , for Jax no he has to live with what he did and how many times he had to do it . The ending even says it he didn't get it right on first atempt , how many times did he have to make that decision and further down burden himself ?
In his shoes I would refuse to use it because of both what it will ask me to do - kill of everyone in the current timeline - and the trauma it will leave me with .
You may not like it but that is sincerely how terrified I would be to receive such power .

Jax fucking about with time travel for an optimal outcome isn't a new thing because MK9 had Raiden send back information to his past self to basically stop the end of time. He can't be judged in any ethical or moral sense because if he was adhering to those concepts to the letter he'd have to basically revert everything to a timeline where Blaze ends reality by devouring existence itself.
Everybody has played fire and burned themselves and the rest of the world , I play with fire and burned myself and burned the rest of the world , there is no way I would break the cycle because hey , everybody did it anyway ...

Is it so hard to envision humans understanding they done fucked up and correcting course ?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the rest of the world yes , for Jax no he has to live with what he did and how many times he had to do it . The ending even says it he didn't get it right on first atempt , how many times did he have to make that decision and further down burden himself ?
In his shoes I would refuse to use it because of both what it will ask me to do - kill of everyone in the current timeline - and the trauma it will leave me with .
You may not like it but that is sincerely how terrified I would be to receive such power .
Jax says that everything worked out better for everyone so I'm assuming he thinks everything is better for everyone

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Jax says that everything worked out better for everyone so I'm assuming he thinks everything is better for everyone
And I do too and love this ending as it is . how many times do I also have to also repeat it already ?

MK 11 as it stands right now and I don't even own the game myself yet although I played some of it at a friends house which furthered down me wanting the game and making room in my budget for it is solid 10/10 already .

We good ?

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody has played fire and burned themselves and the rest of the world , I play with fire and burned myself and burned the rest of the world , there is no way I would break the cycle because hey , everybody did it anyway ...

Is it so hard to envision humans understanding they done fucked up and correcting course ?

"Correcting course" in this sense literally means the end of all reality, fucking up the timeline is the only reason anyone is even alive