• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Hori fixed the one glaring issue with my Nyko joycon XL but made the layout worse in so many obvious ways. I'll get this but I'm not happy about these compromises. One day someone will make the perfect joycon XL.

[]edit]
Daemon X Machina just added gyro support and this doesn't have it...
Pass.

Welp thanks for saving my wallet. I'm not buying a joycon without gyros.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
I'm not bothered by the lack of gyro as I still haven't wrapped my head around that, but the lack of hd rumble makes this way less enticing. Do we know if it has normal rumble?

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that people are disappointed because of the lack of gyro, but I guess the controller is made for people who played Armored Core, who probably don't use gyro, and the extra button and the turbo is made around DxM. Remember that people got really creative when playing Armored Core.

Bg2ITE5CAAAlweI.jpg

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo should really get in the space and release 'Pro joycons'. Separate hand play is the future.

Or it's, you know, a clear and obvious compromise to achieve multiple purposes. One of which is more portability. Not 'shit'.
Is having drifting in the analog not shit, but just a compromise too?

Prince Abubu

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
United States
Surprised there's so much negativity in this thread. This thing looks awesome to me. I've been playing my Switch portably a lot more recently, and the Joy-Cons just aren't comfortable, so this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I wish I had pre-ordered from Amazon earlier, because they don't seem to be taking pre-orders anymore.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Not having batteries is a deal breaker. Switch already has mediocre battery life without controllers draining it as well.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Got my pre-order a while ago. I'll definitely miss having gyro and rumble, but it fixes a lot of other issues I have with the Joy-Cons in handheld mode. Better joysticks, buttons are better spaced, and an overall more ergonomic grip design helped make it a no brainer for me. The Satisfye grip helps with the third problem, but this one tackles all three issues at once.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised there's so much negativity in this thread. This thing looks awesome to me. I've been playing my Switch portably a lot more recently, and the Joy-Cons just aren't comfortable, so this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I wish I had pre-ordered from Amazon earlier, because they don't seem to be taking pre-orders anymore.
I think it's because it's SO close to seeming like a Pro controller in Joycon form but, when you get in to the details, it's missing too many features to really consider it that. The fact it comes so close makes it more disappointing when you learn about the details.

Prince Abubu

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
United States
There's no denying that it's missing features, but they're all features I don't use. Especially HD rumble, which makes such an annoying noise that I have it turned off on a system level.

I sorta resent the amount of features in modern controllers, because they're features I don't like or use, but I pay for them anyway, with the astronomical prices companies charge.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
I found this and this 3rd party joycon pairs. Each includes a build-in grip, gyro, non-HD rumble, and battery. No D-pad though, so you may want to apply this D-pad cap. I haven't tried therefore can't vouch for them.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017

I think it looks awesome and I can't wait to have it in my hands! Sure it's huge but I think it'll be quite comfy to hold.

Deleted member 49185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I keep hearing people complaining about Gyro, but aren't games like Splatoon controlled by the Gyro in the Switch itself and not the Joy-Cons? Wouldn't Daemon X be the same? I will probably get these even though I have modded Joy-Cons with one having a d-pad. I found someone on Etsy that only charged $20 more than a regular pair of Joy-Cons ($100). I paired this with the Satisfye Grip and it feels great.

I have a Flip Grip too, but hate the ergonomics of the Joy-Cons while using it so I found what is called the Separate Charging Grip to help with ergonomics while playing in TATE mode. I can't wait to try it out when it arrives.

It has a hard front covers that snap in place and don't block access to buttons or pads. Unlike Nintendo's official charging grip, the ergonomic grips slide right off with the Joy-Cons, from the included chargable shell, and can be used in portable mode or directly on the Flip Grip itself.

YDV2EEVm.jpg

PNzZyO4m.jpg

Last edited:

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
I have a flip grip too, but hate the ergonomics of the Joy cons in Tate mode also, so I found what is called the Separate Charge Grip sold only in Japan. I can't wait to try them out in Tate mode.
I'm also looking for a solution for my Flip Grip and modded joycons. Is this or this the Japanese product that you mentioned? A few reviewers suggested that the thickness of the cover makes some buttons harder to press. Please let us know if it works for you.

Looking at the CAD files on Thingiverse, this and this two designs look good. I'll 3D print and try them out.

Deleted member 49185

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm also looking for a solution for my Flip Grip and modded joycons. Is this or this the Japanese product that you mentioned? A few reviewers suggested that the thickness of the cover makes some buttons harder to press. Please let us know if it works for you.

Yes, it's the Japanese grip by GameTech. I will report back once I receive them. I noticed the most important buttons and pads have large circular cut outs, but maybe options/home/camera buttons will be hard to push. I hope not.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Getting a little tired of the switch alternate controllers that only work in handheld mode. I love using my switch portably, but I like being able to prop up the (terrible) kickstand or lay it flat and play with detached controllers.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I keep hearing people complaining about Gyro, but aren't games like Splatoon controlled by the Gyro in the Switch itself and not the Joy-Cons? Wouldn't Daemon X be the same?
This is actually my question too. I know the Switch has a gyroscope and accelerometer in the console itself, but I don't know if the gyro is done with the console or the Joy-Cons in handheld mode for most games, and I'm actually very curious about it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should really get in the space and release 'Pro joycons'. Separate hand play is the future.

Or it's, you know, a clear and obvious compromise to achieve multiple purposes. One of which is more portability. Not 'shit'.
Drifting and missing inputs after a few months of play is a "clear and obvious compromise"? Well gee, that really makes me feel better about my broken hardware.

Deleted member 49185

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
This Split Pad Pro has it's pros and cons, but I think I will enjoy using this for the turbo feature, larger buttons, and the D-Pad the most. The programmable buttons, larger analog sticks, and the extra triggers on the back are just icing on the cake.

This will do wonders for shmups and arcade style games for me. I love playing old school games in portable mode at home even though I am not going anywhere. It makes me feel like I have a portable arcade machine right in the palm of my hands. I think this controller will help enhance that feeling even more.

Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
This is actually my question too. I know the Switch has a gyroscope and accelerometer in the console itself, but I don't know if the gyro is done with the console or the Joy-Cons in handheld mode for most games, and I'm actually very curious about it.

if it's the same as hori's d-pad joy-con, it depends on the game. i haven't tested since it came out, but i remember being able to play doom but not fortnite, for example.

then again, it's possible that it was using gyro input from the right joy-con.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Yes, it's the Japanese grip by GameTech. I will report back once I receive them. I noticed the most important buttons and pads have large circular cut outs, but maybe options/home/camera buttons will be hard to push. I hope not.

I just saw this new joycon grip design on Kickstarter called (unimaginatively) Grip Clip. The design looks sound, and is compatible with Flip Grip.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Figured I'd bump this since someone on Reddit got these early and posted some impressions here. Notably, gyro aiming apparently does not work at all in the three games this user tested them in (BotW, Splatoon 2, and the DxM prologue demo) while using these controllers since those games use the Joy-Con gyroscope/accelerometer for gyro aiming, even in handheld mode. Impressions seem otherwise positive.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Very disappointing that the underside triggers are only mappable to buttons from the corresponding side. It makes sense given then design of them, but i was hoping that this would be a decent solution to my use of Steam Remote Play via hacked Android and trying to approximate my use of a Xbox Elite controller normally. I'm not sure how much real utility there is in mapping a d-pad button to the underside trigger, there would have been so much more utility in those if they had tethered the two sides and let them cross-map. Oh well....