• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Size varies by region:

All PS4 versions of Horzion: Forbidden West have the PS5 upgrade, physical or digital.

There have been a few threads recently that are naturally not very aware of how this works, since outside of the PS Blog article this has not been mentioned anywhere, and the listings have been wrong until today.

For digital purchases: You can not use the PS5 console store, it will not display the PS4 version and only show the PS5 and Digital Deluxe. You have to use the app or web store and purchase the PS4 version.

For physical purchases: Insert disk wow.

Gaze upon the marvel of modern science:

5hNF6ni.png

Unfortunately as of now you cannot preload the PS5 version with this upgrade, as I only have the option to do the PS4 version. It looks like the newly added wording about the digital upgrade won't apply until the game releases.

Will this change? Probably not. Do you want to download this hefty chonker of a game at midnight after it releases? Maybe not. Do you like saving money? Maybe. Is this annoyingly convoluted? Sure is.

Godspeed everyone.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Time for that ps5 upgrade

Edit: or not, annoying, guess I'll not be preloading

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
So pay $10 to pre-load, because of the technical limitations of the PS4 > PS5 process.
The entire gaming industry: paid preload? Why didn't we think of doing this before?!

My internet's not super, so I might actually pay that $10 to avoid spoilers over the weekend.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up I'll get it downloaded this weekend so I'm ready for release, can't wait!

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently it already downloaded, I turned on the PS5 and it was already there lol

Man, I'm so ready

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
People need to be making way more noise about how terrible Sony is being with this free upgrade route. It's ridiculous they even have a 70 dollar version available on the store when the PS4 version will include the PS5 upgrade, and gating off preload behind it seems so asinine too. I understand there's work on the store backend to remove the PS5 SKU, but it really comes across more as anti-consumer and Sony dragging their feet unwillingly to keep their promise.

Smart Delivery seemed like such an obvious silly thing when MS announced it, but Sony has been doing a terrible job with PS5 upgrades so far in comparison. A weird mish mash of FPS/performance boost updates for PS4 games, paid upgrades, and/or having to download both the PS4 and PS5 versions of games just to copy over saves.

Last edited:

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Waiting to install it from the disk version will be long...I wish we could preload it on the store in preparation for that and unlock it as soon as you put the disk in.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the PS5 version outselling the PS4 version despite being more expensive for exactly the same game...

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
So if I preload the PS4 version, and want to upgrade before launch, will it download just 10GBs or the entire PS5 version?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So what is the best action here?
Buy the PS4 version at/after release to then immediately upgrade to/download the PS5 version?
I don't want to first download the entire PS4 version and then the entire PS5 version.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Buy the PS4 version at/after release to then immediately upgrade to/download the PS5 version?
I don't want to first download the entire PS4 version and then the entire PS5 version.
best action is to save yourself 10 dollars in change of playing it a few hours later than everyone on release

OP
OP
Papercuts

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Once the game actually unlocks you should be able to buy the PS4 version and download the PS5 version, it just won't let that happen pre-release. You could do it now and just not DL the PS4 version, which is where I'm at.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Once the game actually unlocks you should be able to buy the PS4 version and download the PS5 version, it just won't let that happen pre-release. You could do it now and just not DL the PS4 version, which is where I'm at.

Thanks. I'll do it the latter way then. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I had a bit of buyers remorse over spending the cash on an extra ssd for my PS5 storage but another 90GB first party game makes me feel better about it.

Shame about the preload but I'd rather save the money by getting the PS4 version.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've got 500mbit direct fiber. Even with Sony's shitty servers, preloading isn't really a big selling point. Just takes a few minutes to download the whole game.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks there is no preload for the upgrade but it is what it is

Jun 3, 2018
London
Thanks for clearing this up. I've been checking the store on the app for the past few weeks to see if they added the PS5 upgrade and was confused because it never showed. I might preorder after reviews are up. And I'd rather save 10 euros, I won't be able to play at midnight anyway.

Mik3F

Oct 28, 2017
Was hoping the PS5 free upgrade would be available to pre load, nevermind will download it next Friday at 12am, be ready to play 30 mins or so later

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Higher quality assets so makes sense. Without guaranteed SSD (no duplicate data) & Kraken compression it might have been 2x.
on PS5 they are probably using higher resolution textures and such that they didnt keep on the PS4 version data.

I guess it's just weird cause there is plenty of PS5 games that look way better and are also half the size (if not more) than the PS4 counterparts.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
If it's like all the other new physical PS4 games I've played when they release, there is an annoying delay before the upgrade button appears. It was the same with Lost Judgment, Hitman 3 and Spider-man Miles Morales.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
It won't matter Jackie. Cross-gen upgrades are only a thing for another year or so and people will have completely forgotten about this non-sense when they're pre-ordering their PS6.

See the thing is even if upgrades after this one cost 10 dollars more for no good reason that doesn't really bother me all that much. It's stupid, but at least not a case of them trying to make a quick buck off uninformed consumers.

This just comes across as super sleazy to me. It's ridiculous because Sony operates at such a big scale that this 10 dollar upcharge is probably not even going to get them pennies on the dollar for the quarter.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
NGL, kinda wanting to buy the PS5 version (physical) just to have the right cover art to have in my collection, but I probably wonˋt.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to be making way more noise about how terrible Sony is being with this free upgrade route. It's ridiculous they even have a 70 dollar version available on the store when the PS4 version will include the PS5 upgrade, and gating off preload behind it seems so asinine too. I understand there's work on the store backend to remove the PS5 SKU, but it really comes across more as anti-consumer and Sony dragging their feet unwillingly to keep their promise.

Smart Delivery seemed like such an obvious silly thing when MS announced it, but Sony has been doing a terrible job with PS5 upgrades so far in comparison. A weird mish mash of FPS/performance boost updates for PS4 games, paid upgrades, and/or having to download both the PS4 and PS5 versions of games just to copy over saves.

Making noise about what? You cant preload because of how the store works. It's better than having no upgrade path at all.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Making noise about what? You cant preload because of how the store works. It's better than having no upgrade path at all.

No preload is whatever to me, the real problem is you can't get the PS4 SKU to show up at all on the store when looking at it on PS5 you actually need to go look at PSN on your phone or computer.

It's just straight ripping off uninformed consumers.

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly does the PS5 digital version work when you have the PS4 disk, does the disk have to be in the PS5 for that version to work at all times? My brother has a PS4, so it'd be great if we could just use the one copy at the same time (me using PS5 digital version, while he has the disk in his PS4) but surely that isn't possible right? Otherwise what is to stop people from just selling the disk on once it is installed.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
How exactly does the PS5 digital version work when you have the PS4 disk, does the disk have to be in the PS5 for that version to work at all times? My brother has a PS4, so it'd be great if we could just use the one copy at the same time (me using PS5 digital version, while he has the disk in his PS4) but surely that isn't possible right? Otherwise what is to stop people from just selling the disk on once it is installed.
The PS5 upgrade requires the disk to be in when you play the game.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Disk needs to be in at all times.