• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
This wasn't done by me, but thought this was pretty cool!

Credit to reddit user: https://old.reddit.com/user/Ewaan

3fbzl7s53h451.jpg

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Hmm I wonder if they're gonna do the whole San Fransisco. I'm playing Watch Dogs 2 right now and it's pretty big :P

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is very cool. I love that we're going west and I really hope the world itself is exciting to explore. Finding these landmarks will be fun but I want there to be a good reason to wander around. I felt the first game did a pretty good job of it, with the long necks to climb and sites to see. I'm assuming this one will follow suit and judging by the trailer we'll get a lot of variety. Seeing this post apocalyptic land scape is already awesome though.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Cool comparison.

I remember visiting the Palace of Fine Arts. Such a grandiose title for a Neoclassical monument that was first meant to be temporary—but was then rebuilt with classical, more 'permanent' materials such as concrete and steel beams.

And it still looked like it was falling apart.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Twice actually but It's been a a while and don't really remember any details about landmarks and such. ;p
The first one wasn't really based on a location right? More of a general idea of that area. I could be wrong though
It's Colorado and Utah, there are a lot of landmarks.

horizon.fandom.com

List of Real Locations in Horizon Zero Dawn

This is a list of the most significant or striking real life locations used in the setting of Horizon Zero Dawn. For additional locations see Real World Location Info. Horizon Zero Dawn is set in the Southwestern United States, specifically the states of Colorado, Utah, parts of northern Arizona...

I'm not from the USA, so I wouldn't recognize it directly, but the story names it concretely.

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017

horizon.fandom.com

This is a list of the most significant or striking real life locations used in the setting of Horizon Zero Dawn. For additional locations see Real World Location Info. Horizon Zero Dawn is set in the Southwestern United States, specifically the states of Colorado, Utah, parts of northern Arizona...

I'm not from the USA, so I wouldn't recognize it directly, but the story names it concretely.

Ah didn't know that. Also not from the USA, but thats pretty cool!

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

horizon.fandom.com

Oh yeah, that would explain it, I'm not from the US. I know a bunch of SanFran and New York land marks and places but no nothing off Utah or Colorado.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I wonder if they're gonna do the whole San Fransisco. I'm playing Watch Dogs 2 right now and it's pretty big :P
I think they'll likely do a scaled-back version so that they can include a lot of surrounding space, without making the world too big. The first time takes place over a real-world area that stretches for hundreds of kilometres, but is scaled down to a much more manageable 6km or so on each side in the game. The Horizon Wiki gives a scale of about 107.5:1 (though the map isn't a perfect correlation, so any scale is just an approximation). If the Forbidden West map has a similar size and scale then it's totally possible that the game map would be ~6km on each side again, representing a real-world area of ~600+km on each side - enough for it to include shrunken versions of San Francisco on one end and Los Angeles on the other.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I think they'll likely do a scaled-back version so that they can include a lot of surrounding space, without making the world too big. The first time takes place over a real-world area that stretches for hundreds of kilometres, but is scaled down to a much more manageable 6km or so on each side in the game. The Horizon Wiki gives a scale of about 107.5:1 (though the map isn't a perfect correlation, so any scale is just an approximation). If the Forbidden West map has a similar size and scale then it's totally possible that the game map would be ~6km on each side again, representing a real-world area of ~600+km on each side - enough for it to include shrunken versions of San Francisco on one end and Los Angeles on the other.
Hmm yeah also it's 1000 years after now so it probably doesn't look anything like San Fransisco anymore, just need to put those landmarks here and there lol.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm yeah also it's 1000 years after now so it probably doesn't look anything like San Fransisco anymore, just need to put those landmarks here and there lol.
The city should look quite similar to now. Explaining why a moderately large spoiler for the original game, so:

In Horizon Zero Dawn, all life - and all biomatter - on Earth's surface is extinguished in 2066 by a plague of self-replicating machines that use organic material as fuel. The "Zero Dawn" of the title was an automated terraforming project that would firstly brute-force decrypt the codes to deactivate the machines (which took a century or so) and then gradually start reintroducing life to the planet, eventually cloning and reintroducing humans. That means that, although the game is set about a thousand years from now, San Francisco in the game will be the ruins of the city as it existed in 2066 - long enough for some significant changes, but not so much to totally change the character of the city.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
While I'm not bothered by it in Horizon as much because it's set so far into the future, I find it kinda disappointing that it's doing 'famous American city' like so many other games.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
This is great. Thanks for sharing OP. As someone who has not been to San Fran, this is super helpful. Only recognized the bridge from the trailer lol

jungomitis

Apr 8, 2020
The setting makes me more excited about the game, always love seeing reimagined versions of areas I'm familiar with.

Horizon III to take place in Seattle?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Looks like we may be able to piece together some of the journey Aloy will be taking.

Oct 24, 2019
The first one wasn't really based on a location right? More of a general idea of that area. I could be wrong though

It absolutely was based on real locations

horizon.fandom.com