• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
We are going in circles here, nevermind. As I said, it sounds great on forums "why would I buy that if I can just play on PC while I continue to not play on PC even though so many of those games are on PC."

According to him the enthusiasts sets the pace for the casuals.
I dunno how you could think otherwise after seeing how PS4 vs Xbox One turned out. Enthusiasts and hardcore gamers are the ones who paid attention to all the Xbox One misteps and spread the message to their casual buddies.

*shrugs*

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
For ps5 they should just follow the same model. Exclusive to ps5 for a couple years to sell those consoles then pc port for pc only players, double dippers, anyone that wants to crank up the settings etc etc.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
This page along pretty much shows why console manufacturers like Sony and Nintendo make exclusives, there are a lot of people here that want to play PlayStation games and are putting on some serious mental gymnastics justifying the reasons Sony games should come on PC, but don't want to pay for a console. That's the whole point of an exclusive, to make you buy a console for it. Sony know their own finances better than anyone here and if their first party day and date on PS4/PC was financially viable for them, they would certainly do it. Sony like money after all, let's not pretend they give a shit about fanboys being able to say you can only play Bloodborne or whatever on PS4.

I do hope Playstation games show up on PC because why not, but again that's me saying that as a customer rather than looking through the Sony lens where they want to make money. I have said this before and I'll say it again, that I see the end game for Sony being their own storefront on PC where they release games day and date for PS5/PC, how long that takes is anyones guess though. Sony will want a 100% return on their first party games on PC, sooner they have the storefront sorted the faster we get their games day/date on PC.
I agree.

Sony will release select games on PC (like HZD, 3 years old and has served its purpose as a console seller) while keeping the majority exclusive as long as they have a console to support. It is inevitable that the streaming future will abolish platforms altogether, however, right now, a user on their console (PS+ revenue, cut from all games, DLC) is worth way more than someone just buying their games on PC.

As for the many that assert because 3rd party games sell more on consoles, exclusives don't matter, all I have to say is look at the PS3 and Xbox360 generation as well as PS4 and Xbox One generation. Which console eventually sold more? Nearly identical offerings on the 3rd party side, with the only extra difference on PS3 being the free online. In the PS3 generation PS overtook Xbox with exclusives alone. It wasn't instantaneous, but as the PS library grew more and more bought the PS3. Many popular gaming YouTubers were uploading lets plays of PS games and the comments would be filled with people talking about the exclusive games. When the inevitable question of should I buy an Xbox360 vs PS came up, exclusives and games were always thrown out into the argument. I would hear EB games employees telling parents about the library of games that make PS better, time and time again, sometimes regardless if they were a big Xbox guy. While this is speculation based on my previous points, I would chalk up PS3 winning to the enthusiasts driving the interest. Enthusiast fans spend a surprising amount of time posting on various forums online. When the inevitable "exclusives games" comparison lists are made and exclusives games win GOTYs, word gets around, and it strengthens the hardware brand. While the PS4 had an advantage out of the gate due to Xbox one marketing, Xbox saw essentially 0 progress in their yearly console sales compared to PS4 because they didn't have a comparable library. Even now with their games on PC the profits of the Xbox division don't come close to that of PS. The narrative is about games and this trickles down to the casual market, ESPECIALLY with the existence of twitch where every big exclusive eats up a week of spotlight. Even casuals who play Fifa know about Uncharted and know about Spiderman those games are massive drivers for people having interest in the console. One casual user may not buy every exclusive, but if someone that plays Fifa got the PS4 cause its also got spiderman, it has served its role. Thats the benefit of having a library of games that is diverse. You offer something that may appeal to a large variety of people and it only takes one game of their type to win them over. You all scoff at the idea of this being a bubble but I know many PC gamers who aren't enthusiasts who bought a PS4 at some point for a single game. A better argument for "exclusives" are whether the title can be maintained with a 1 year period. If Sony offers PS games on PC after at least a year gap I can still see them keeping up their hardware brand without compromising potential sales. However, if you think PS releasing all of their games day and date wouldn't being about countless posts of people saying they will be moving to PC, you are silly. First the enthusiasts will fuel the flames online making a portion of the hardcore audience move to PC. More videos talking about people moving to PC pop, some easier low budget options for gaming PCs take the spotlight, and more open to building. It could be exactly like PS3 overtaking Xbox 360, a slow movement leading to a decline of console sales. What do you think the response would be when you ask someone "you want something that plays fucking Halo AND God of War?". Even casual gamers would eventually understand the clear benefit of owning a PC over consoles and its not like people are ALIEN to PCs as many of you point out (laptops are widespread, as are home computers). While game sales may increase, the revenue lost from PS+, third parties, and DLC (the main drivers of PS profits) would turn their profits into a fraction of what they are. Exclusives are a legitimate part of the console business, consoles do not exist without unique games to offer. Whenever the conversation goes back to previous console generations, exclusives remain part of the identity of that hardware brand.

This is not even mentioning Nintendo. The only reason why the switch is doing so well compared to the Wii U is because it launched with its main IPs (Mario odyssey and BOTW) front and centre. This was quickly followed up by smash. The WiiU never released its Zelda, launched many remakes, and its 3D mario game was the least well received in the series. It also didn't have the hyped fanfare announcements of RPG pokemon, metroid prime 4, and BOTW 2 on a single console.

Exclusives will be gone after this generation but as long as Sony is making a PS5 there will be some games they will keep close to the platform. Whether this stays forever or shifts to 1 year (minimum for sure) who knows, but whenever Sony starts to lean into PSNow for good everything will come to PC.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working in an electronics shop for over 6 years now, everytime someone buys a PS4 you know what game they buy alongside 90% of the time?

FIFA, then comes Call of Duty. You know these exclusive titles like God of War, Uncharted, pale in comparison when it comes to sales with FIFA and Call of Duty, so I find it hilarious when someone says having Sony exclusives day 1 on PC would kill any reason someone would buy a Playstation when I'm running out of FIFA copies while no one bothers with the stacks of God of War and Uncharted games in my shop, except for very specific people who ask for them.
No GTAV?

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
I dunno how you could think otherwise after seeing how PS4 vs Xbox One turned out. Enthusiasts and hardcore gamers are the ones who paid attention to all the Xbox One misteps and spread the message to their casual buddies.

*shrugs*
This too. the Xbox One failed launch was joked about by enthusiasts watching E3 coverage and leaks first and foremost, it quickly spread to the masses.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

*shrugs*
Xbox One didn't fall behind PS4 sales because Microsoft put their games on PC. Enthusiats also didn't tell everyone to buy a Wii. Each time you make a comment you open up more questions than answers.

There is really no direct correlation between Sony not selling PS5's if their exclusives went to PC and why Xbox One failed to gain traction. Even Sony sees the PC as a less threat than Xbox and Nintendo, which is why they supported crossplay with PC and not consoles and why they continue to have marketing deals from third party even if those games exist on PC. They care more about keep those games off of other consoles than they do with the PC. It's also why they are testing the waters with Horizon and Death Stranding.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

Oh yeah definitely GTA V too, kids begging for it with every PS4 and I have to explain what the 18+ label means to parents who don't know that video games can have violence, drugs and strip clubs.

Like I said inn the hundreds of PS4's I sold, it was always major multiplatform franchises that were the movers. FIFA, COD, GTA, only a select few asked for the exclusives.

I should add, we had to add a 5$ incentive for anyone who can sell God of War, while FIFA 2020 was selling like hotcakes for 80$ on release.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
And you think if the message from their enthusiast friends was 'buy a PC not a console', they'd listen?
Wanna play Halo, Fifa, Spiderman, God of War, Forza and everything under the sun?

It really isn't that hard to understand. Couple that with the numerous steam machine like products that exist and serve as good entry level points for PC gaming and near universal gamepad support and it really isn't that hard.

P1. What do you play on? Oh I'm on PC.
P2. PC why not PS?
P1. You can get every game that way, PS and Xbox.
P2. Oh wow.

Obviously there are advantages to say like that at the price point of a console you will get way better performance than the equivalent PC. But, that argument seems way harder to articulate to a casual buyer vs. you get all the games. Games are always more compelling.

Even Mincraft was enough to make many people I know show interest towards playing PC. After the minecraft wave many I know invested in gaming PCs.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Ultra wide support was officially confirmed?!?

Yeah, they confirmed it in the community hub

xbpuveg.jpg

ss_a0dce6304047db276914fab0601e25b63530c76a.jpg

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Xbox One didn't fall behind PS4 sales because Microsoft put their games on PC. Enthusiats also didn't tell everyone to buy a Wii. Each time you make a comment you open up more questions than answers.

There is really no direct correlation between Sony not selling PS5's if their exclusives went to PC and why Xbox One failed to gain traction. Even Sony sees the PC as a less threat than Xbox and Nintendo, which is why they supported crossplay with PC and not consoles and why they continue to have marketing deals from third party even if those games exist on PC. They care more about keep those games off of other consoles than they do with the PC. It's also why they are testing the waters with Horizon and Death Stranding.
He was saying that the horrible Xbox One launch, DRM, Kinect included, weaker console, was first talked about by enthusiasts. From there it became popular news and then we saw the results.

The enthusiast perspective eventually makes its way to a casual audience via social media moreso now than ever. Twitch and Youtube are what mainly foster this.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got this game for like 5 bucks a few months ago on PS4 but I've been waiting to play it on PC. Now that I've got a higher refresh rate monitor, I can't freakin' wait. My computer is hardly top of the line but with its specs I think I should be able to edge out PS4 Pro visuals at 1440p 120fps or 1080p 144fps.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
If there was a good reason to (like all PS5 and XSX exclusives day 1 on PC), yes lol.

Yeah, this is what we disagree on. I haven't met anyone with this mindset, and like I said - that games are on both console and PC Day 1, has 0 impact on their decision. They want something affordable off the bat, in the lounge, where their friends are, in the ecosystem they know. That isn't PC, and hasn't changed since Xbox's changes. Your view that XSX is specifically failing / less "hype", specifically because of this - is ridiculous to me since only the enthusiast minority see this, and even then, they don't all shift over either. The two markets are so different also, it's not an easy transition to casually make. More casual PC gaming folk I know, have a wide variety for doing so, and they also don't connect with "because xbox exclusives are now there"

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
ready to play the fuck out of this game in high res ultra wide, 60fps with gyro aiming. Totally stop playing the ps4 verson cause of this. I need the full experience.

Deleted member 30124

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wanna play Halo, Fifa, Spiderman, God of War, Forza and everything under the sun?

It really isn't that hard to understand. Couple that with the numerous steam machine like products that exist and serve as good entry level points for PC gaming and near universal gamepad support and it really isn't that hard.

P2. PC why not PS?
P2. Oh wow.

Add free online and cheaper games to that and you have a great sales pitch for a gaming PC to the average gamer. PCs are no longer some complex devices that are difficult to game on, so the convenience card doesn't really work in favor of consoles today as well as it did a decade ago. Pretty sure Sony does see the PC platform as a competitor on some level, else it wouldn't be locking its user base out of multiplatform games like FFVIIR and Nioh 2 for lengthy periods. I don't see a scenario where Sony would put its exclusives on PC day and date, at least not until they're still in the console hardware business.

They want something affordable off the bat

A gaming PC is likely to be more affordable than having to get both the PS5 and XSX. Then there's the fact that games are cheaper on PC and that you don't require a subscription to play online on the platform.

Last edited:

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I didn't have a PS4 in the whole generation, because i don't want an PS4 when i have a PC more capable. If they release the PS5 exclusives on PC i will buy it, i don't need them to be release at the same time that in PS5. I will buy HZD but i won't do it at more than 20$, neither i'm gonna buy Death Stranding for more than 40$. That's said, i don't think Sony gains anything (if PS5 is sold at lost of course) from selling a PS5 to someone who only gonna use it to play the exclusive games and nothing else (a.k.a the average PC user, i guess?). Their exclusive games don't even need PS+ to play it. I think they have more to gain from people like me (I probably buy their exclusives games at their full price if they launch simultaneously or a bit cheaper in a window of 6 to 12 month) than PC players who aren't tied to their ecosystem. And they could tie me into their ecosystem if they launch a Playstation Store on PC, easily. That's whats happening to me with Xbox, i'm tied to gamepass but i buy a lot of their first party output on steam at full price. I think it's matter of time for Sony to embrace the PC, i don't think it makes sense that you could play their games via PS Now on steaming but not downloaded, at practical effects it same but loosing 60$ from a native port. They could even make a PSNow PC like Gamepass and gain even more. But i guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

PD: The vast majority of people who plays on console aren't gonna switch to PC if Sony's exclusives releases on PC. They don't even know how to use the PC for more than office and alot of them don't even have PC (I'm obviously speaking about the people i know).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I've been told from someone who knows things that HZD is but a toe of the foot Sony is putting in the "Maybe the PC ain't so bad" water. Other ports will surely follow, and this is great news for anyone who isn't a last guardian.

4kEwuiE.gif

Last edited:

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
For ps5 they should just follow the same model. Exclusive to ps5 for a couple years to sell those consoles then pc port for pc only players, double dippers, anyone that wants to crank up the settings etc etc.
Developers would make more money with this format, but fanboys would lose their minds.

I'm buying a PS5, currently have a 2080Ti and I will buy the next Nvidia offering. I would still buy Sony exclusives on PS5 and more than likely, double-dip on PC. I have Horizon and the expansion on PS4 Pro and I am going to buy it again on PC. Good job Sony and Guerrilla.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
He was saying that the horrible Xbox One launch, DRM, Kinect included, weaker console, was first talked about by enthusiasts. From there it became popular news and then we saw the results.

The enthusiast perspective eventually makes its way to a casual audience via social media moreso now than ever. Twitch and Youtube are what mainly foster this.
OK but those enthusiasts still won't convince casual console gamers to switch over to PC. This all sounds like which console is better for me. Then it becomes the PS4 is the market leader so I will go with that one. That's a fair argument but the leap to them setting the pace that we should all switch over to PC because Sony is putting their games on PC is a bit of a stretch. Sure some will but the masses won't because they just want the best console.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Out of the 100 million PS4 owners I would say that around 10 million are enthusiasts. They are the ones who spend the most money in the PS ecosystem. And they are the ones who are the most likely to leave PS4 for PC.

Would Sony want that? Because putting exclusives on PC is definitely going to increase the chances of that happening.

For consumers this is brilliant of course. But from a business point of view I fail to see how Sony gains enough from this. I think they have more to lose.

Selling PS4 exclusives + multiplatform on PS4 >>>> Selling PS4 exclusives on PC

Edit: I should add that this probably wouldn't apply if Sony only brings over "old" exclusives to PC. Enthusiasts would want to play the games asap.

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'll finally play this game. I prefer my big beefy games on PC where I can except for FF7R where I bought it to play it on release. I plan on doing my other playthroughs and such on PC for FF7R.

On the subject of timed exclusivity versus full exclusivity I prefer Timed obviously. It sells consoles and FOMO helps generate interest in games (like myself for FF7R) where you actually get people (like me) who double dip on some titles. I bought FF12 twice for PC and for Switch, and I also did this with Monster Hunter World before I started waiting for anything not FF7.

I see why people like exclusives and it makes perfect sense, although the crazy hyperbole about Sony shitting on its fanbase and stuff that I can't tell if it's serious or satire at this point on other topics and things like Twitter I could do without.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If there was a good reason to (like all PS5 and XSX exclusives day 1 on PC), yes lol.

P2. PC why not PS?
P2. Oh wow.

Obviously there are advantages to say like that at the price point of a console you will get way better performance than the equivalent PC. But, that argument seems way harder to articulate to a casual buyer vs. you get all the games. Games are always more compelling.

Even Mincraft was enough to make many people I know show interest towards playing PC. After the minecraft wave many I know invested in gaming PCs.

Add free online and cheaper games to that and you have a great sales pitch for a gaming PC to the average gamer. PCs aren't some complex devices that are difficult to game on, so the convenience card doesn't really work in favor of consoles today as well as it did a decade ago. Pretty sure Sony does see the PC platform as a competitor on some level, else it wouldn't be locking its user base out of multiplatform games like FFVIIR and Nioh 2 for lengthy periods.I don't see a scenario where Sony would put its exclusives on PC day and day, at least not until they're still making consoles.

I'm the biggest PC gaming advocate. I agree it's nowhere near as complex or as difficult as many make out. It's my primary platform, I don't like gaming on consoles. I know all the benefits of PC gaming, it's why I prefer it too.

I just really think you're all massively overestimating your average console consumer's commitment or interest in gaming to think they'd be willing to entertain moving to PC gaming. It simply is not as simple, as understandable, or as accessible as consoles are.

Your average console consumer buys a small number of games a year. The PS4 has what is considered a high attach rate at less than 10 games per console (for the lifetime of the PS4).

This argument doesn't even convince a majority of enthusiasts, before you even consider getting into the rest of the market. If PC gaming was so universally compelling and the main reason stopping the console market from collapsing was exclusive games, on forums like this you'd see a majority of PC gamers. We don't see that. We see a load of people who like consoles, who want to play on consoles and don't want to play on PC. It's not because they're ignorant of PC gaming, it's because on balance they prefer what consoles offer vs what PC gaming offers.

Last edited:

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
OK but those enthusiasts still won't convince casual console gamers to switch over to PC. This all sounds like which console is better for me. Then it becomes the PS4 is the market leader so I will go with that one. That's a fair argument but the leap to them setting the pace that we should all switch over to PC because Sony is putting their games on PC is a bit of a stretch. Sure some will but the masses won't because they just want the best console.
Agree to disagree. See my earlier posts as to why it's not hard of a pitch to get people to swap to PC. Halo, spiderman, god of war, forza, everything, cheaper games, free online. Ok but I don't wanna build. See 200 prebuilt gaming PCs/steam machines. Popular youtuber releases 1 video about his switch and more people know. It is exactly what happened with PS3. Over time the mindset will shift if the library isnt there to support the console. AGAIN, this won't apply once consoles are gone but until then exclusivity (1 year minimum) will exist.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah definitely GTA V too, kids begging for it with every PS4 and I have to explain what the 18+ label means to parents who don't know that video games can have violence, drugs and strip clubs.

Like I said inn the hundreds of PS4's I sold, it was always major multiplatform franchises that were the movers. FIFA, COD, GTA, only a select few asked for the exclusives.

I should add, we had to add a 5$ incentive for anyone who can sell God of War, while FIFA 2020 was selling like hotcakes for 80$ on release.
I worked at an electronics store for some time and this is my experience, as well. During the holiday season we would sell out of GTA every single week even though we got stacks of it shipped in. Don't those people know they can get it on PC?!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
A gaming PC is likely to be more affordable than having to get both the PS5 and XSX. Then there's the fact that games are cheaper on PC and that you don't require a subscription to play online on the platform.

I completely agree, and it's one of many reasons why I've been on PC only predominantly since 2007. However there is a front loaded cost for newcomers starting from scratch, and fair bit to think about before making the jump. Most of the time in my experience, folks just want the easy solution where their friends are - mostly that is console in my experience, and usually from folks more interested in COD, Fifa, GTA, Battlefield. The slightly less casual folks I know interested in PC also have it as where their friends are, but seem to have a much wider array of reasons for playing, mixed with work, specific games / flexibility etc. But I never here conversation of "Xbox exclusives" or "exclusives" at all. Those terms are just not a part of the conversation.

I've been told from someone who knows things that HZD is but a toe of the foot Sony is putting in the "Maybe the PC ain't so bad" water. Other ports will surely follow, and this is great news for anyone who isn't a last guardian.

4kEwuiE.gif

Well cool, I'll God of Warn you too

LP3gliU.gif

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree to disagree. See my earlier posts as to why it's not hard of a pitch to get people to swap to PC. Halo, spiderman, god of war, forza, everything, cheaper games, free online. Ok but I don't wanna build. See 200 prebuilt gaming PCs/steam machines. Popular youtuber releases 1 video about his switch and more people know. It is exactly what happened with PS3. Over time the mindset will shift if the library isnt there to support the console. AGAIN, this won't apply once consoles are gone but until then exclusivity (1 year minimum) will exist.
You can cheap games on console and second hand games as well as rental

And paying online? If you pay you can get rental games during subscription which covers the cost or you don't use ps plus if you only play single player

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just so happy we're gonna get this in screaming fucking 60 fps, it's so much fun!

Everyone, play on the hardest combat difficulty though for some of the best robot dino action you could ever hope for- they hunt in packs.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
excited for this and any other potential ports. Spiderman would be nice but Gravity Rush would be the best as unlikely as it is

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Bloodborne PC makes too much sense not to happen (the Dark Souls games have sold gangbusters on PC), but its ilk isn't my cup of tea, so I didn't ask. But I can only assume present-day Sony understands it's sitting on a relative goldmine.

wink.emoji
Wait, you weren't just joking in your original post? O_O

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Wait, you weren't just joking in your original post? O_O

TLG? Insofar that the suggestion was serious. It was "recommended" to me that I shouldn't play the game on my base PS4, so there are dots to connect, and Sony's initial wave being single-player games makes a lot of sense; it can evaluate the PC crowd without "sacrificing" microtransaction revenue.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
TLG? Insofar that the suggestion was serious. It was "recommended" to me that I shouldn't play the game on my base PS4, so there are dots to connect, and Sony's initial wave being single-player games makes a lot of sense.

even on a Pro its fucked.

I still loved it :(

:(

I'll cut you.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
TLG? Insofar that the suggestion was serious. It was "recommended" to me that I shouldn't play the game on my base PS4, so there are dots to connect, and Sony's initial wave being single-player games makes a lot of sense; it can evaluate the PC crowd without "sacrificing" microtransaction revenue.
What about Shadow of the Colossus, Spiderman, Uncharted and TLOU? And dare I ask... Persona?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

4kEwuiE.gif
Shpeshal Ed on The Xbox Era podcast mentioned The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 as games Sony are potentially bringing to PC. He was one of the first to mention Horizon coming to PC.

Mark It Zero!

Apr 24, 2020
I'm really excited for Horizon, think i'll play it in 21:9 with letterbox, it looks really good on that screenshot from the Steam page.

Also, I'd do unspeakable things to get bloodborne on PC.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
even on a Pro its fucked.

I still loved it :(

:(

I'll cut you.

You'll have to best my dropbear first!

What about Shadow of the Colossus, Spiderman, Uncharted and TLOU? And dare I ask... Persona?

I've nothing to offer on any of those fronts. But I've long been a proponent of Sega cracking its parent company whip and "forcing" PC ports of Persona games, so I'm more than confident we'll see Persona stuff on Steam in the relatively near future. The demand is there, and Atlus isn't a R*esque golden goose.

Status
Not open for further replies.