• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Having remapped concentration to be more easily accessible onto my M4 (I realized Focus isn't nearly as important as I originally though), I can confirm that it does, in fact, work as intended for me. Made that fight in the stadium a lot more survivable

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
That's nonsense. If one thing, this game isn't CPU heavy. First one is from Durante, second one from GameGPU.

cpu_core_scaling.png

The game does have major problems but it being unplayable on 4C/4T isn't one.

You're just proving his point here? Even at 5ghz, which is effectively the best case scenario for a 4C4T CPU, you're seeing regular drops below 30fps as your graph shows. 1% lows aren't that uncommon, with an average above 60fps as in that example, a 28.3fps 1% low, means frametimes of 33ms and higher are happening more than every 2 seconds. That's going to translate into visible stutter.

On your average 4C4T CPU that is more likely to be clocked in the 3-4ghz range, that's going to mean some pretty miserable performance.

The previous recommendation was fair, a 4C8T CPU is a reasonable minimum CPU recommendation for this game.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game sometimes uses all 11GB of my VRAM at just 4K which drops me to like 20 FPS. That's crazy.

Also, discovered that screenspace reflections totally disappear at higher resolutions.

Reflections:
jxtDLF.png

Gone:
jxtNa3.png

They seem to be the most visible at 1080p. At 4K they're almost completely gone. All that's left seems like cube maps, which are sometimes incorrect. As seen here:

jxt8gT.png

You can see the reflection of some things just barely, but they get cut off.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
They seem to be the most visible at 1080p. At 4K they're almost completely gone. All that's left seems like cube maps, which are sometimes incorrect. As seen here:

Not to excuse this port, but the original had issues with reflections too, occasionally showing reflections of forests when it should've been mountains, cloud reflections being absent, and just duplicating some images in the water, rather than true mirrored reflections. In the case of reflections in this port, then, it may be an issue with the source that the devs hadn't noticed, or they did notice but hoped others wouldn't..

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
This game sometimes uses all 11GB of my VRAM at just 4K which drops me to like 20 FPS. That's crazy.

Also, discovered that screenspace reflections totally disappear at higher resolutions.

Reflections:
jxtDLF.png

Gone:
jxtNa3.png

jxt8gT.png

They're probably doing SSR with simple ray-marching. And it looks like someone just hardcoded maximum steps along the ray *in pixels*, so with higher resolution, you're getting shorter rays, which is leading to worse SSR coverage.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017

Reflections:
jxtDLF.png

Gone:
jxtNa3.png

jxt8gT.png

Just tested this on an RTX2080Ti. Screen-space reflections work perfectly in 4K here.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It runs and looks amazing at 2K on my PC. 1070 Super. I guess all these issues are from 4K?
no lol...you can run the game like i do, perfectly fine with no crashes..but graphic options are not working, it has memory leaks, physics are not working at higher frames than 30, no snow deformation, i mean...i could go on..what you are playing is a broken mess of a game and you are not experiencing what the game could really be like if done properly.

massive pop in, jaggies, so its not just 4k, its all...you are just not crashing like a lot of people are. I havent had a single crash, but every other issue is there.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely there, possibly just bugging out for some people.

streamable.com

Watch Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition 2020.08.11 - 22.42.10.16.DVR | Streamable

Watch "Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition 2020.08.11 - 22.42.10.16.DVR" on Streamable.
streamable.com

Watch Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition 2020.08.11 - 22.40.26.15.DVR | Streamable

Watch "Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition 2020.08.11 - 22.40.26.15.DVR" on Streamable.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely there, possibly just bugging out for some people.

streamable.com

Watch Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition 2020.08.11 - 22.42.10.16.DVR | Streamable

Watch "Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition 2020.08.11 - 22.42.10.16.DVR" on Streamable.
streamable.com

Watch Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition 2020.08.11 - 22.40.26.15.DVR | Streamable

Watch "Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition 2020.08.11 - 22.40.26.15.DVR" on Streamable.

Interesting, can you screenshot the map area?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Snow deformation does not work for me in the Frozen Wilds section. It's a bummer, that's one of the biggest things they pushed.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game constantly crashes my PC now, gonna wait until a patch. I was fine until reaching Mother's Cradle I think, then crashes nearly every time I open the map.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I keep checking this thread hoping it's going to get bumped for a patch. Other than the tweet from the 12th, still waiting...

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Snow deformation is working for me in the Frozen WIlds area but the intensity is bugged. If I continually walk in a circle in heavy snow I'm seeing very light deformation (nowhere near as much as PS4) and if I roll on the ground repeatedly I see more deformation, again not as much as PS4. So it seems it is present despite the claims that it is missing, it is just way less intense.

I've had a relatively good experience with the game after a few tweaks like Vsync and Max Power settings in Nvidia CP. No crashes at all after nearly 50 hours, only minor stutters now when the quest UI gets updated. The other issues like some cutscene glitchyness and some lighting issues were present on the PS4 so I wasn't expecting those to be fixed.

For me this has been a better PC experience than other AAA PC games. I played Assasins Creed Origins a couple of months ago on the same rig (2080Ti / i9 9900K) and nearly every cutscene was a stuttering mess (with occasional FPS drops into the low teens!), even with low settings at 1080p they still stuttered horribly. HZD in comparison has been much better (for me) all round.

It is a real shame this port has issues because I'm really enjoying the game again (picking out all the references to the Forbidden West which I completely forgot about), hopefully it will get fixed soon. Don't bother trying it until it is patched unless you have around 32GB of RAM as I think a memory leak is causing most peoples crashes, I've seen the HZD process at around 15GB or more.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
so even AFTER you make it through the intro and fuck with your settings, if you turn the game off.....you have to watch the vid again?!?!? WTF

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Dunno if anyone ever really looks at GeForce experience recommended settings - but I like to just to see if NVIDIA's testing (automated or otherwise) sees any particular settings as problematic. I rarely actually use it to 'optimise' my games, but I find it interesting to see what they choose.

For this game, it's interesting that they set the adaptive performance FPS to 40fps no matter what - even when you slide it to all the way to optimise for performance. On my machine at least (1080Ti, 4770k).

77UB2ZK.png

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Snow deformation is working for me in the Frozen WIlds area but the intensity is bugged. If I continually walk in a circle in heavy snow I'm seeing very light deformation (nowhere near as much as PS4) and if I roll on the ground repeatedly I see more deformation, again not as much as PS4. So it seems it is present despite the claims that it is missing, it is just way less intense.
I haven't tested it much, only the first two enemies, but I noticed a total of maybe four foot prints show up. I wonder if its like the SSR somehow and higher res lowers the deformation or something.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
"SOME of users are experiencing..." is the most shitty thing devs can say when talking about problems that affect EVERY user. Not about GG, every dev do this.
The only issue I've had is the snow not deforming like in Red Dead Redemption 2. Other than that, the game has been 100% butter smooth 80-100fps/1440p/ultimate settings on my main gear. The other two systems I tested it on are rock solid as well.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
It was released six days ago and that tweet is from yesterday, I think you need to be more realistic about your timelines.

yeah wishful thinking. But was comparing it to some thing like rdr2 on PC where rockstar was really quick to respond within the first week to crashing and performance issues.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
yeah wishful thinking. But was comparing it to some thing like rdr2 on PC where rockstar was really quick to respond within the first week to crashing and performance issues.
If we believe that the port was 100% vitruos, then it'd probably take Guerilla more than a week to really get spun up on it, much less fix like...everything

Apr 26, 2020
In the prologue i had very many lighting glitches , but once Aloy was older i didnt encounter that many problems aside from 3 times a crash in the same place...but one thing that bothers me alot is that the highres textures simply wont load in in the Meridian. I feel.like 90% if i walk through that town ive muddy textures and waiting doesnt help. Also lowering the texture quality doesnt help

Playing with a
Ryzen 1600x
RTX2060
on a ssd
On 2k (with a variety of quality presets)

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
1.5 MB update that fixes the slowdown and crashes. Let's see...

EDIT: I can say with confidence that the Bullet Time is fixed

Last edited:

thematic

Oct 31, 2017
there's no voice acting when they investigate Erza's massacre site. anyone experience the same bug?

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, this is odd.

I was having some ugly ass shimmering and pop in going on. Even though most of the settings I had kept high / forced on were the ones that should have helped with that. So I thought maybe it was an issue with the shader cache. Deleted it, didn't seem to help. I decided to mess with my settings and just set it to the "prefer quality" preset.

And it seems to have mostly fixed it? It's basically just all settings on high, whcih is around where I had most of my settings already (or higher). So some settings may be broken in someway. If you have the performance overhead but have some issues with the shimmery objects, try using the presets and see if that helps. It didn't make it perfect but it minimized it a lot.

Or I might just be going crazy. I was wondering why I had little issues at the start of the game but around Meridian and whatnot everything was becoming such an eyesore. And I remembered I had tweaked some settings to try to get a bit more FPS

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just accepted that this game is only really playable at a 30 fps for me since there is no way to get it to run at 60 fps on a 1070 TI at 1440p anyway same on my GF's Pc with a 980 TI at 1080p.
I can get a absolutely perfectly flat frame time line capping at 30 with SpecialK and the game still looks better then the PS4 version and it also fixes all animation and physic glitches, i didn't even have a crash 6 hours in so far.
It's not perfect considering PC standards but i guess i can live with this for now since it will probably take them a few months to fix this.

Last edited:

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I just accepted that this game is only really playable at a 30 fps for me since there is no way to get it to run at 60 fps on a 1070 TI at 1440p anyway same on my GF's Pc with a 980 TI at 1080p.
I can get a absolutely perfectly flat frame time line capping at 30 with SpecialK and the game still looks better then the PS4 version and it also fixes all animation and physic glitches, i didn't even have a crash 6 hours in so far.
It's not perfect considering PC standards but i guess i can live with this for now since it will probably take them a few months to fix this.
I'm on a 1070 and getting a perfect 30 fps at 3840x1600. You should be able to run the game at something like 2880x1620 easily.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds so awful. Gonna wait on this or play on PS4. Glad I didn't buy on release.

Any hope of 60fps at 1080p or 1440p with some tweaked settings seems like a lot of optimising needs to be done. (Using 1070). Sounds like a mess no matter what you have.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm on a 1070 and getting a perfect 30 fps at 3840x1600. You should be able to run the game at something like 2880x1620 easily.

Yeah obviously but it's a 1440p screen so whats the point i can not even get stable 60 fps at low, TAA works pretty well with a bit of sharpening so i don't really see a difference.

Last edited:

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still having LOD problems, but one thing that helped was turning on the adaptive AA.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I've had a relatively good experience with the game after a few tweaks like Vsync and Max Power settings in Nvidia CP. No crashes at all after nearly 50 hours, only minor stutters now when the quest UI gets updated. The other issues like some cutscene glitchyness and some lighting issues were present on the PS4 so I wasn't expecting those to be fixed.

For me this has been a better PC experience than other AAA PC games. I played Assasins Creed Origins a couple of months ago on the same rig (2080Ti / i9 9900K) and nearly every cutscene was a stuttering mess (with occasional FPS drops into the low teens!), even with low settings at 1080p they still stuttered horribly. HZD in comparison has been much better (for me) all round.

It is a real shame this port has issues because I'm really enjoying the game again (picking out all the references to the Forbidden West which I completely forgot about), hopefully it will get fixed soon. Don't bother trying it until it is patched unless you have around 32GB of RAM as I think a memory leak is causing most peoples crashes, I've seen the HZD process at around 15GB or more.

I'm not there yet but did you try capping the game at 30 fps in the Frozen WIlds areas? Hair and pretty much every physic effect seems to be affected by higher frame rates.
As far as i can see capping the game at 30 fps always fixes it maybe the snow deformation is affected by this as well which would explain why some ppl don't have it at all and some just a little.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
So the good news is I can just skip any cutscene before it crashes on me, the bad news is it still crashes when i go into the menus. This game is so freaking hard if you can't upgrade anything.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game runs pretty well for me at 1440p Ultra, as long as I cap it at 30 fps. Might be some other issues I missed, but it looks and played fine...with the notable exception that it'll crash every so often. Also seems to crash more often as I traverse the jungle area south of Meridian. Not sure what that's about. Like a lot of other people here though, I can't even get a stable 60 fps on medium or low 1080p...and I don't get it. I'm on a GTX 1080.

Also, I couldn't boot the game after the patch. I had to go into the save directory, delete the "Profile" folder, then turn off cloud saves before I could boot the game back up and keep playing. I've read that this issue might have actually been caused by GeForce Experience, as opposed to the patch itself. Either way, that's how I had to get the game running again.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not there yet but did you try capping the game at 30 fps in the Frozen WIlds areas? Hair and pretty much every physic effect seems to be affected by higher frame rates.
As far as i can see capping the game at 30 fps always fixes it maybe the snow deformation is affected by this as well which would explain why some ppl don't have it at all and some just a little.

Just tried it at 30FPS, didn't seem to have any effect on the snow deformation. The only thing it ended up doing was it made me feel ill because the 30FPS cap in the game is truly awful!