• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced global sales of Horizon Zero Dawn™ have exceeded 7.6 million copies just one year since it launched exclusively on PlayStation®4 (PS4™)*1. The exceptional year-one-sales mark Horizon Zero Dawn as the most successful new first-party franchise launch on PS4. Horizon Zero Dawn was released on February 28, 2017 to widespread critical acclaim, winning numerous industry awards.

"We are incredibly grateful that Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds have been received so positively by so many gamers and it is a testament to the fantastic work of the entire team at Guerrilla. The combination of beautiful story-telling and great characters, with excellent gameplay mechanics, has resonated well with fans and led to this exceptional sales milestone," said Shawn Layden, Chairman of SIE Worldwide Studios.

"We had huge ambition for Horizon Zero Dawn and as we approached the launch we knew people were excited, but to see sales of this volume is truly mind blowing. Since launch, millions of players have joined Aloy on a quest to discover the secrets of the old ones. We hope they enjoy playing Horizon Zero Dawn as much as we enjoyed making it," said Hermen Hulst, Managing Director and Co-Founder, Guerrilla.

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2018/180228.html

For reference- The game sold through 2.6 million units in its first two weeks.
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/c...on-zero-dawn-global-sales-exceed-2-6-million/

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Incredible, success deserved. Got a plat on it, loved the DLC too. Well Done Guerrilla.

hussmk

Oct 29, 2017
Congratulations to Guerilla. This is a staggering achievement, to say the least!

I think this sets the bar really high for Spider-Man and God of War which should, theoretically speaking, sell even better.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Free Avatar to celebrate.
39816630414_c902caf4a7_b.jpg

New video

PlayStation Gear store promo
Throughout the entire month of March, the PlayStation Gear store will be running an anniversary discount on the Modern Icons Aloy statue: get 25% off when you enter the code 'anniversary' at checkout, while supplies last!

PlayStation Store
If you don't have Horizon Zero Dawn yet, now's the time to take advantage of the 'Critic's Choice' sale on the PlayStation Store! Until March 6th, Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition is being offered at 30% off for regular customers, and 35% off for PlayStation Plus subscribers.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...s-first-birthday-surpasses-7-6-million-sales/

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Wow that's amazing, a new ip on only 1 single platform selling that well?
That puts Horizon above Zelda and up there with Mario as the biggest console exclusives

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
So, not the psn+ game this month

Is that a better debut than uncharted 1 and the last of us?

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
The game really surprised me. Although I probably would have enjoyed it less if my open world fatigue had been stronger - I more or less purposely avoided such games in the last year and I probably would have had less patience with the game if I had just come off some Ubisoft open world game.

JMaine518

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite new IP this gen. Can't wait to see what they do with a sequel. Congrats Guerrilla.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I've played Horizon at a friends house and I was truly impressed. It's high on my wish list since, but I still haven't bought it. Time to change that, because I really want to play it!

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sonu continues to show its ability to sell new IP to it's audience.

Very successful at this during ps3 and ps4 gens.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this sets the bar really high for Spider-Man and God of War which should, theoretically speaking, sell even better.
My immediate thought. My prediction for Horizon was maybe like something 6-7 mio lifetime, but to see it even more successful by now is a great feat imo.

Well deserved btw!

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WOW!

A slay!

Glad the studio had the opportunity to work on something interesting for once, paid off

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Over 7.6 million copies in 1 year. Congrats Sony and Guerrilla Games.
Game of the Generation for me. Incredible for a new 1st party IP!

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
For a new IP that's so unbelievably impressive. Well deserved too since it's a fantastic game. Congratulations Guerilla.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Amazing number for a new IP, the sequel should easily break 10 million! Well deserved, it's a great game that really enriched PS4's slate of exclusives.

That reminds me, though: I still need to pick the DLC at some point.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
HZD is one of my big surprises this gen. I didn't like any of Guerrilla's game prior to this (and honestly didn't think they had the talent to make a game of this quality). They obviously shut me up.

This was in my top 3 games played last year - still need to go back and revisit the DLC.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's fucking nuts. I'm sure Sony would have been real happy with 4-5m for the first game in the series. That's a blockbuster. Low key the first game has a good chance of selling as much as the first 3 Killzones. :S I'd wager lifetime sales to hit 8.5-9m by the time it's done. Good job GG.

I think GOW and Spiderman have a chance of getting similar numbers this year.

Singleplayer games are dead though.
Congrats.
lol

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great game, but if they stick with the IP I hope sequels take it up to the next level like CDPR did with TW1 -> TW2 -> TW3.

For their first open-world RPG, they really nailed it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wow that's amazing, a new ip on only 1 single platform selling that well?
That puts Horizon above Zelda and up there with Mario as the biggest console exclusives

Last numbers had Zelda at 7.78 though. (And its gonna continue selling throughout the gen and it's at full price)

Doesn't take away from hzds massive success though.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Hot damn. Fully deserved though. GOTY 2017 and a great expansion. the sequel will be huge too. Great new franchise.