• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it. Didn't finish it though. The super serious hipster survivalist tone got old fast. There was no humor or love or joy in the game anywhere. The story wasn't interesting enough.The exploration was walled in by mountains which felt archaic after BotW. The item crafting system was fiddly and made avoiding fights more attractive than engaging. Really really good graphics though. For me to buy the sequel I will need to see all these areas addressed. Also drop the human fights. Those were boring. The robots were the interesting thing.

What does "serious hipster survivalist tone" mean?
The item crafting was not fiddly. Quite the opposite. You could create things on the fly, which in the middle of a battle was invaluable.
The story was very interesting but you really got a lot of texture from it by reading journals and exploring.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do y'all manage to turn a thread congratulating a game on a sales figure milestone into a console wars thread. Can't you just be happy, write congratulations and move on with your life?

Lmaooo

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I feel like people were right to be cynical considering how mediocre Shadow Fall was.

Yeah but they hired new people who had worked on RPGs and new writers. That's why I had hopes for the game (cause their writing for shadowfall was absolutely horrendous... to the point of having me rant about it as it was so bad it pissed me off. And I can deal with not great story, I play Bethesda games! And their story writing doesn't have me rant about how much the bad writing pisses me off, I just wish it were better). And one of the people they hired had worked on New Vegas (and if I remember right was the head of the story department in this game).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yo that new Spider-Man I.P is pretty big!
though seriously, how does new Spider-Men universes work when it comes to that? Are they considered new I.P by Marvel?

Oct 25, 2017
10 * 10,000,000 doesn't equal 100 million in revenue? :).

Listen I get that you're "concerned" but I'm sure GG is fine.

Edit: I mean yes, it's overly simplistic but that's my point, the game is two years out from launch, besides Nintendo, most publishers drop the price of their games.

I feel like people were right to be cynical considering how mediocre Shadow Fall was.
I know how price drops work for fuck sake. I said I hope they made money before that. They did. We're done. Stop quoting me for dumb shit.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yo that new Spider-Man I.P is pretty big!
though seriously, how does new Spider-Men universes work when it comes to that? Are they considered new I.P by Marvel?
even if marvel somehow considers them as different IPs, it is dumb to count it as one, if this game wasnt named spiderman but played the same it would have sold much less.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does "serious hipster survivalist tone" mean?
The item crafting was not fiddly. Quite the opposite. You could create things on the fly, which in the middle of a battle was invaluable.
The story was very interesting but you really got a lot of texture from it by reading journals and exploring.

I take more exception to the idea there was no humor or love or joy in the game. Aloy and Rost's relationship was fantastic to me and when you go back and hear her recount her adventures to Rost's grave, I dunno I found it pretty moving. There doesn't have to be romantic love in a game for there to be love. The love of friends, and you can make a lot of them in this game, is something great as well.

I know how price drops work for fuck sake. I said I hope they made money before that. They did. We're done. Stop quoting me for dumb shit.

I'm confused by how hostile you're being. Truly. But carry on I guess.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Solid game. 8.0/10. Give the protagonist something resembling an actual personality and the sequel will do even better.
To be fair Aloy's lack of more profound personality makes sense, her being the outspoken and extroverted type would've made little sense as she grew up isolated from people, especially people her age and she never felt she was special herself, she simply was there probably doubting herself all her life. I do expect her to have a more extroverted personality in the sequel, given the events of the first game, her interactions with other people and the discovery of who she actually is.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
if we combine splatoon 1, 2, and the hypothetical splatoons 3 through 9 plus sea of thieves extrapolating with the increase of sales between splatoon 1 and 2 i believe the splatoon + sea of thieves ip will be the most successful new ip this generation in a single game. it's simple math.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Deserved! Can't wait for the sequel. :)

It'd be funny to see it not being called Horizon Zero Dawn 2, as many naturally assume, but Horizon and than another cryptic word combination that at first makes no sense to us.

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how that ... What?

He says this, but I'm the one that gets quoted a dozen times.

I mean, his numbers are obviously not accurate, but what he said wasn't wrong. Bearing in mind he said revenue, not profit.

This physically hurts.

It hurts almost as much as shitting up a topic talking about a great game being successful by downplaying that success.

It had the most votes for most likely to be the biggest flop of 2017 in the other forum.....

Lol, I forgot about that! And here it is being one of the most successful new IPs of the whole generation!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there some one on either this forum or the previous one who said it wouldn't make 10 million? And yeah, I've been thinking about finishing the DLC (btw, anyone know if I can restart the DLC without restarting the whole game? I don't want to replay the game but I quit in the middle of the DLC nad I'd like to start from the beginning to refresh myself on story and such).
I mean... that shouldnt surprising ? I doubt many knew or expected beforehand that it would sell +10m.
The number of platform exclusives that can sell +10m is very slim to begin with and rarely something you can just state before a games release.

Horizon was a massive success from the launch and kinda the first real system seller for PS4 Pro system and even that game took a while to get to +10m. Crazy achievement for a new IP - especially when you consider how busy 2017 was and what games it was competing with for mindshare.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know you gave it a chance(I remember how uninterested you were in 2017 lol). Glad you liked it.

And yeah, I need to get the DLC too.

Wow, good memory!

I was sure the game would be trash. Like, complete garbage, not even "mediocre". And I don't even know why I was so sure.

Ended up playing it anyway last december and fell in love with it. I think only Dragon's Dogma rivals Horizon when it comes to combat in open world games, but obviously going for very different things. Horizon even made me want to play Monster Hunter, another series I wasn't THAT interested before.

Fighting a mid-large sized enemy in Horizon is better than the vast majority of boss fights.

It's the reason I'm keeping an open mind regarding Days Gone, too. That game doesn't interest me at all, but if people start praising like they did with Horizon, I'm in.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, his numbers are obviously not accurate, but what he said wasn't wrong. Bearing in mind he said revenue, not profit.

It hurts almost as much as shitting up a topic talking about a great game being successful by downplaying that success.

Lol, I forgot about that! And here it is being one of the most successful new IPs of the whole generation!
I didn't down play anything. You have actual people in here saying the game was just okay, but your sense of Justice is making you go after "I hope they sold most of that pre price drop". Straight up ignoring "happy for the milestone", but hey. It's a perceived slight. Not an actual slight. This is on all of you.

If that sounded passive aggressive or like concern trolling, I assure you it wasn't. I don't do that.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, finally bought this game last week (didn't get it at launch, cuz I chose Breath of the Wild), and it's pretty damn good! In fact, its the first time Guerilla has made a game that I really enjoyed! Nice to see that studio finally find their footing.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Of course the Splatoon IP is at 13.2 million

And the Super Mario IP is over 330 million. What's your point?

Why not? Is Wii U now the same gen as Ps3 and X360?

Thus making the sales for the Splatoon IP 4.94 million for this generation.

But for sure, anyone can use their own definition of generations.

Anyone can use their own definition for anything, doesn't make it right.

You were talking about new IP, not a single game. But the difference between shipped and sold trough is negligible

I'm glad you comprehended that. He was. And shipped or sold through, Splatoon doesn't reach 10 million-plus.

What are you talking about. Sea of Thieves is HUGE and isn't even a year old yet.

So huge Microsoft hasn't told you how many copies it sold.

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
Using a single posters statement to brush off whole bunch of fans is usually what starts the console war BS.
Especially when it results in people adding onto it with following post:

...which results in calling out other persons/groups - as crazy etc. that havent even participated in this thread or brought Nintendo up.
I dont know what you are achieving with it.

Yes, Nintendo games like BotW manage to sell most of their copies without sales or are rarely on sale. So what ? Thats a known fact not a mystery - i dont know what this has to do with Horizon being a success.
I don't want to generalized the whole Nintendo fan. I should have said vocal minority. I distinctively remember I think it's in this site? When a BOTW reach a miles stone enter the thread some poster dissing HZD I immediately left. That left quite an impression. Still want to make it clear I'm not dissing the whole Nintendo fan here just explaining where the paranoia might come from. It's great that any games especially new IP become a huge success.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Using a single posters statement to brush off whole bunch of fans is usually what starts the console war BS.
Especially when it results in people adding onto it with following post:

Yeah i should have used fanboy instead , would that be okay for you?

Back to OT , i am craving for more horizon , i need me some more horizon.
Need it.gif

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So huge Microsoft hasn't told you how many copies it sold.

I don't think we'll ever get individual sales numbers from Microsoft again with Game Pass. Just like MAU the excuse rings true when the industry is moving towards that direction. So really no need to engage people that want to talk about sales when they want to do it in vague terms.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't down play anything. You have actual people in here saying the game was just okay, but your sense of Justice is making you go after "I hope they sold most of that pre price drop". Straight up ignoring "happy for the milestone", but hey. It's a perceived slight. Not an actual slight. This is on all of you.

Every game gets a price drop. GTAV has sold like 100 million copies and that has had numerous price drops. Why even mention it?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I mean... that shouldnt surprising ? I doubt many knew or expected beforehand that it would sell +10m.
The number of platform exclusives that can sell +10m is very slim to begin with and rarely something you can just state before a games release.

Horizon was a massive success from the launch and kinda the first real system seller for PS4 Pro system and even that game took a while to get to +10m. Crazy achievement for a new IP - especially when you consider how busy 2017 was and what games it was competing with for mindshare.

Yeah but... I dunno, something to me said that game was going to do well. I mean it already had a cool premise that really caught your eye. Hell, I gotta manager right now who gets annoyed when I mention the game cause he doesn't have a playstation and he really liked what he saw of promotional materials (I keep telling him he could prolly find a used PS4 cheap). It also helps that GG has really cool art design that really worked for that game (they definitely have a style you can see in their games both killzone and this one).

Oct 25, 2017
Every game gets a price drop. GTAV has sold like 100 million copies and that has had numerous price drops. Why even mention it?
I asked a question that was answered. Why drag it out.

For horizon specifically, I ALWAYS thought they were underselling it at that price. Every time I personally saw it, I always thought to myself, why is it so cheap. Me thinking that for horizon, isn't an insult to it. I'm not kicking it. Sure, games drop in price, but this was a freaking steal when they threw in the dlc and the future game for $20. How is it a bad thing that I thought that was strangely cheap.

The reason I'm getting pissed off is because a dozen plus of you are choosing read what I said as a put down, when one, it wasn't. Reading comprehension would tell you that. And two I additionally clarified and reclarified that it wasn't.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we'll ever get individual sales numbers from Microsoft again with Game Pass. Just like MAU the excuse rings true when the industry is moving towards that direction. So really no need to engage people that want to talk about sales when they want to do it in vague terms.

I mean, if MS had a new IP that had sold 10 million copies in less than a year you better damn well believe it that they would publish a press release to let everyone know. Something like "Sea of Thieves has sold more than 10 million copies, has been played by over 20 million people on Game Pass and enjoys an active userbase of over 500,000 players per month".

Nov 8, 2017
I'm so glad so many people go the chance to play one of the best games of this generation. I still remember taking down my first Thunderjaw. I took soooo many pictures in photo mode and boy did I love exploring the gorgeous world. Even at the end of the DLC I was still having a blast. I can't wait to see what the next game has in store.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't like Horizon much at all beyond the gorgeous environments, but props to GG for proving that a single player-only new IP can not only succeed, but thrive in this age of bullshit live service games and mandatory multiplayer.

Oct 25, 2017

For horizon specifically, I ALWAYS thought they were underselling it at that price. Every time I personally saw it, I always thought to myself, why is it so cheap. Me thinking that for horizon, isn't an insult to it. I'm not kicking it. Sure, games drop in price, but this was a freaking steal when they threw in the dlc and the future game for $20. How is it a bad thing that I thought that was strangely cheap.
Maybe they want as many people to play it as possible so that people get interested in the upcoming sequel. Just a guess.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
That's a great result, but i would like to know a more concrete number.
With such great sales don't expect Sony's games day one on ps now.

Oct 27, 2017

Alright, this is my last response to you because we're going in circles and shitting up the topic.

Whether you intended to or not, your first post on this topic was not a reply to anyone and reads very much like concern trolling, but if that was not your intent then fair enough:

The game and the DLC together were like $20 and sometimes $10 last year.

Happy for the milestone, but hope someone actually made money after the price drop.

As for why they dropped it so low in price, that's how supply and demand works. If they release a game and it sells 1 million copies at $60 and then sales dry up, that's when you drop the price to $40 to reinvigorate sales again. Got new DLC coming soon? Drop the price to get more potential customers on board so potentially that's more DLC sales. Then a few months after the DLC launch release a complete edition, etc. Most games go through this to some extent, unless you're Nintendo or Minecraft.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Zetran Logan Hardy
I get your points and ive been part of these discussions a bunch of time - so i know that you arent making these things up.
Its just that these kind of arguments usually arent worth bringing up because it derails the thread. At the end a single post resulted in half a dozen of users feeling like they had to set the record start/call out others.....well anyway enough of that.
Yeah but... I dunno, something to me said that game was going to do well. I mean it already had a cool premise that really caught your eye. Hell, I gotta manager right now who gets annoyed when I mention the game cause he doesn't have a playstation and he really liked what he saw of promotional materials (I keep telling him he could prolly find a used PS4 cheap). It also helps that GG has really cool art design that really worked for that game (they definitely have a style you can see in their games both killzone and this one).

I mean yeah it looked and performed well - but you have to realize that even with selling 6-7m this game would have been a big success. The fact that it managed +10m is even bigger. It shows that the series/IPs has been growing with the PS4 install base of ther last two years and people still pick it up.

Looking back it probably easier to define Horizons success - but Horizon, God of War and Spider-Man reaching that +10m Naughty Dog Level this generation is a pretty big deal. Sonys first party content was never this strong in terms of commercial reception and i think Horizon was the first big step in that direction, people just didnt expect GG to be able to deliver in that genre. We already knew that they could make looking games - but a complete new IP of that caliber.

The friendly competition between those Sony first party studios is really pushing the quality of their output.