• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Change Shadow Fall with [everything they released before H:ZD].
Killzone 2 and 3 were really good and received fantastic review scores. So Guerrilla already knew how to make great games. I'm glad Horizon Zero Dawn is their biggest success. I don't like first person games ;)

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. Dungeons are boring but the story and setting are unique and interesting.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. My favorite PS4 exclusive and only behind The Witcher 3 as my game of the generation thus far.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I asked a question that was answered. Why drag it out.

For horizon specifically, I ALWAYS thought they were underselling it at that price. Every time I personally saw it, I always thought to myself, why is it so cheap. Me thinking that for horizon, isn't an insult to it. I'm not kicking it. Sure, games drop in price, but this was a freaking steal when they threw in the dlc and the future game for $20. How is it a bad thing that I thought that was strangely cheap.

The reason I'm getting pissed off is because a dozen plus of you are choosing read what I said as a put down, when one, it wasn't. Reading comprehension would tell you that. And two I additionally clarified and reclarified that it wasn't.

Game sold well north of 10 million copies. In just 2 years. On a single platform.

There's no realistic scenario where the project isn't profitable. Unless you truly believed that 9M~ copies was sold at $10, your first post simply came off as a trolling attempt.

On topic, i think H2 has a great base to build from and will likely make good use of the Ryzen upgrade (PS5).

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
even if marvel somehow considers them as different IPs, it is dumb to count it as one, if this game wasnt named spiderman but played the same it would have sold much less.
Yep, the Prototype franchise were Venom games without the licensing. They'd have sold much better if you played as Eddie Brock and fought against Sable Enterprises and Oscorp.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I don't think we'll ever get individual sales numbers from Microsoft again with Game Pass. Just like MAU the excuse rings true when the industry is moving towards that direction. So really no need to engage people that want to talk about sales when they want to do it in vague terms.

Exactly. And for that very reason they shouldn't enter a discussion about how much a particular game sold by bringing up a game from a company who will never tell you what it sold. It's disingenuous and pointless.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they improve the quest design and cauldrons for the sequel.

I thought the quest design was relatively good for the genre, but then I want the whole genre to get better at it so I'm not disagreeing with you!

I'd like to see them improve:

Melee combat
Quest design
City size/interactivity
Climbing (either put the yellow handholds in far more places or just let her climb freely like Link)
Maybe a bit more depth to the RPG systems, like she makes a choice to do Y or Z and that creates a different outcome
EDIT - and more rideable mounts! Being able to ride a Thunderjaw or Stormbird would be fucking amazing!

Probably some other stuff I have forgotten too.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Keep that same energy you all had for me thread.

Horizon is dirt cheap now so I'm not surprised. Amazing sales though

Good luck.

Alright, this is my last response to you because we're going in circles and shitting up the topic.

Whether you intended to or not, your first post on this topic was not a reply to anyone and reads very much like concern trolling, but if that was not your intent then fair enough:

As for why they dropped it so low in price, that's how supply and demand works. If they release a game and it sells 1 million copies at $60 and then sales dry up, that's when you drop the price to $40 to reinvigorate sales again. Got new DLC coming soon? Drop the price to get more potential customers on board so potentially that's more DLC sales. Then a few months after the DLC launch release a complete edition, etc. Most games go through this to some extent, unless you're Nintendo or Minecraft.

I have a co-worker that thinks I give her strange looks, she said it makes her feel like I'm judging her or something. She's referring to whenever I walk by her and don't anything.

I told her, that's just my face.

Each time she brings it up, my answer is the same. This thread reminds me of that. After the first two clarifications, I owe you nothing.
Game sold 10 million copies. In just 2 years. On a single platform.

There's no realistic scenario where the project isn't profitable. Unless you truly believed that 9M~ copies was sold at $10, your first post simply came off as a trolling attempt.
Was it the statement or were you just defensive? Because I don't see any of people that actually said negative things about the game getting quoted a dozen times.

Last edited:

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It's one of the main games that made the PS4 worth owning this gen. Can't wait to see a sequel someday.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep that same energy you all had for me thread.

small-violin.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I have a co-worker that thinks I give her strange looks, she said it makes her feel like I'm judging her or something.

ach time she brings it up, my answer is the same. This thread reminds me of that. After the first two clarifications, I owe you nothing.

JFC dude, I tried to build a bridge and explain why you were getting dogpiled and you still act arrogant and dismissive. I'm done with you.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the new machines in Horizon 2 will be amazing. Hope they make something like this here:
dsin09ducaecfrckcjf0.jpg

Horizon is dirt cheap now so I'm not surprised. Amazing sales though
Gravity Rush 2 is dirty cheap right now. Same goes with Killzone: Shadow Fall and Infamous: Second Son. Can't wait for the "Gravity Rush 2 sold over 10 million copies worldwide" thread next week.
Gravity Rush 3 confirmed!

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, Sony has been really crushing it with their exclusives this gen. Like they're releasing some of the best games of all time in the same gen, crazy.

As someone who has loved the killzone games far more than most others including shadowfall, I'm so glad GG is having this success now. They are one of Sony's top echelon first party studios and I can only wonder what they will do with PS5.

Horizon itself had an amazing story with fantastic lore and concepts, and an iconic new character. Guerilla really stepped their game up in the story department and I hope this continues with the sequel. They really excelled at all elements of what make a stunning game. The jaw dropping visuals goes without saying, and I thought the game mechanics (everything from traversal to combat) were consistently fun and fluid. The sound design and music deserve nothing as well.

My one wish for the sequel is to battle a Metal Devil:
tumblr_onhdvgArAi1s6elnxo2_500.gif

Preferably while riding and controlling a Thunderjaw, or a Stormbird. That would be some insane spectacle.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Man, the new machines in Horizon 2 will be amazing. Hope they make something like this here:
dsin09ducaecfrckcjf0.jpg

Gravity Rush 2 is dirty cheap right now. Can't wait for the "Gravity Rush 2 sold over 10 million copies worldwide" thread next week.
Gravity Rush 3 confirmed!

I'm not surprised in the context that it had already sold almost 8 million in the first year, so of course it was going to reach 10 million if it's super cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
JFC dude, I tried to build a bridge and explain why you were getting dogpiled and you still act arrogant and dismissive. I'm done with you.
No arrogance. Just annoyed. Its like getting dogpiled for dumb shit puts people in a good mood or something. "let me tell you why all those people who can't read went after you, they're not in the wrong at all, you just have to understand where they're coming from".

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I thought the quest design was relatively good for the genre, but then I want the whole genre to get better at it so I'm not disagreeing with you!

I'd like to see them improve:

Melee combat
Quest design
City size/interactivity
Climbing (either put the yellow handholds in far more places or just let her climb freely like Link)
Maybe a bit more depth to the RPG systems, like she makes a choice to do Y or Z and that creates a different outcome

Probably some other stuff I have forgotten too.
Mount riding is the thing I had most complains about. It's just kinda bad in general, very easy to get stuck.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
What does "serious hipster survivalist tone" mean?
Most of the NPCs in the game looked like tribal hipsters, and were always super serious and depressed all the time. The tone of the entire game is 1 note, shallow. It got old after the 2nd town. I get it, it's post apocalyptic. But even in those conditions there would still be love and children and laughter.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My one wish for the sequel is to battle a Metal Devil:
tumblr_onhdvgArAi1s6elnxo2_500.gif

Preferably while riding and controlling a Thunderjaw, or a Stormbird. That would be some insane spectacle.
Oh I think we will kinda fight a Metal Devil. They teased it in HZD imo. And with the PS5, they will have the hardware power to pull that off :)

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
I asked a question that was answered. Why drag it out.

For horizon specifically, I ALWAYS thought they were underselling it at that price. Every time I personally saw it, I always thought to myself, why is it so cheap. Me thinking that for horizon, isn't an insult to it. I'm not kicking it. Sure, games drop in price, but this was a freaking steal when they threw in the dlc and the future game for $20. How is it a bad thing that I thought that was strangely cheap.

The reason I'm getting pissed off is because a dozen plus of you are choosing read what I said as a put down, when one, it wasn't. Reading comprehension would tell you that. And two I additionally clarified and reclarified that it wasn't.

Its normal to Sony discount their games, and its not a signal that the game was a flop or nor meet sales expectation. For me as consumer its great.
God of war alrealdy was at 50 % discount, and the normal price its 39,99$ instead of the 59.99$ at launch. Launch Date: 20 April 2018.
https://psprices.com/region-us/game/1382035/god-of-war

Spider Man already was (is) at 39.99 $ instead of 59.99$, launch Date: 7 September 2018
https://psprices.com/region-us/game/2307947/marvels-spider-man

Detroit is at 19.99 $, and the normal price is 39.99 instead of the 59.99 at launch. launch Date: 25 May 2018
https://psprices.com/region-us/game/1383825/detroit-become-human

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are so many awesome lore places the sequel can go, I'm excited.

Far Zenith/Odyssey
Vast Silver
Thebes
Elysium

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Fantastic game, one of the few games I got a platinum in. Cannot wait to continue the story and maybe possibly enjoy it with a friend at certain points. Just allow me to ride more robots and maybe fly the majestic Stormbird.

I hope Days Gone is just as successful, have been extremely happy with my PS4 this gen.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the NPCs in the game looked like tribal hipsters, and were always super serious and depressed all the time. The tone of the entire game is 1 note, shallow. It got old after the 2nd town. I get it, it's post apocalyptic. But even in those conditions there would still be love and children and laughter.

K.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon budget was not high at all indeed

€45m
6 years development (including preprod with 20 people)
Peak team 250 (+100 outsourcing in China)

For comparison :
- The Witcher 3 : €72.5m (including marketing) with €55m net profits for 6m sold in 6 weeks
- God of War 3 : $44m
- Detroit : €30m
- Uncharted 2 : €25m (+10-15% from Uncharted 1 budget)
- Beyond Two Souls : €20m
- Heavy Rain : €18m

So essentially HZD has been extremely profitable.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Driving thread derailment over a series of posts

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Well deserved and this is why Sony gambles on a new IPs. It was the complete package for me - story, gameplay and of course the visual orgasm.

I honestly should start my new game+. I have been holding out for a gaming drought.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh wow, that's a MASSIVE number for a new single-player IP, and it's awesome that did it with a female protagonist. congrats to guerrilla games.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing. Game wasn't for me, but I can't wait to see what they do next.

Btw, is the IP Horizon or Horizon Zero Dawn? Just asking coz I'm wondering if the sequel will have that in the title

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
And the Super Mario IP is over 330 million. What's your point?
When you talk about biggest new IP you talk about IP sales. Not just a single game.
Otherwise Sea of Thieves will be the highest selling anyway, because Horizon Zero Dawn gets a second and third game eventually, but Sea of Thieves will always be just that one "Sea of Thieves" game.

Games are different. Some release several iterations and some are single game IPs.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Btw, is the IP Horizon or Horizon Zero Dawn? Just asking coz I'm wondering if the sequel will have that in the title

Zero Dawn refers to something in the game, so it would not make sense for that to be in the sequel as far as I'm concerned.

When you talk about biggest new IP you talk about IP sales. Not just a single game.
Otherwise Sea of Thieves will be the highest selling anyway, because Horizon Zero Dawn gets a second and third game eventually, but Sea of Thieves will always be just that one "Sea of Thieves" game.

Games are different. Some release several iterations and some are single game IPs.

As long as we're making stuff up about SoT, Sea of Thieves wouldn't be the highest selling on the N-Gage.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So essentially HZD has been extremely profitable.
yes, it was really profitable for sony.
and even more than being profitable, the game was loved, much more than you would expect.
this is something interesting i noticed, but after 2017 the game got a lot more love from the middle level core community, like, every time i look at the comments for a gif that is posted on reddit etc. i see unanimous praise for the game, much above what i expected, i think that even some research put it very high up in terms of fan reception. This is why i have high hopes for the sales of the sequel.

Zero dawn refers to something for this specific game, i doubt it will be in the next.
you will get far zenith instead....

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Oh yeah, GG hired rainbow six seige devs. Most likely for a shooter. I don't know if it will be for another killzone but I hope it's successful as well

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Taking that "Zero Dawn" is a real term in the game and it wouldn't make sense in a sequel, I think they will only use Horizon as the title for the IP

Maybe it's just me, but nothing you've posted makes sense. Sorry.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have a co-worker that thinks I give her strange looks, she said it makes her feel like I'm judging her or something. She's referring to whenever I walk by her and don't anything.

Each time she brings it up, my answer is the same. This thread reminds me of that. After the first two clarifications, I owe you nothing.
this is kinda weird and creepy tbh.