• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Very nice. I really couldn't get into the game, but maybe I should try again. Certainly well produced, I just hate a lot of small details like the camera bobble and how it constantly shifts between left-side and right-side and melee combat was garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
No arrogance. Just annoyed. Its like getting dogpiled for dumb shit puts people in a good mood or something. "let me tell you why all those people who can't read went after you, they're not in the wrong at all, you just have to understand where they're coming from".

Gotcha. So it's everyone else who can't read properly, and not the possibility that your posts could be interpreted as concern trolling.

Mount riding is the thing I had most complains about. It's just kinda bad in general, very easy to get stuck.

I actually really liked riding mounts, but that is definitely something I would love to see expanded in the sequel. Riding a Fireclaw or a Thunderjaw or even flying on a Stormbird would be so fucking cool! I would also like to see a few new robots that more closely resemble dinos too. Give me an ankylosaur, triceratops and spinosaurus!

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
When you talk about biggest new IP you talk about IP sales. Not just a single game.
Otherwise Sea of Thieves will be the highest selling anyway, because Horizon Zero Dawn gets a second and third game eventually, but Sea of Thieves will always be just that one "Sea of Thieves" game.

Games are different. Some release several iterations and some are single game IPs.
How are you still talking about SoT selling over 10 million even though you read sales threads is beyond me.

Oct 25, 2017
this is kinda weird and creepy tbh.
How so? For context, this is someone I get along with. And no, I don't look her when walking by.

Gotcha. So it's everyone else who can't read properly, and not the possibility that your posts could be interpreted as concern trolling.

I actually really liked riding mounts, but that is definitely something I would love to see expanded in the sequel. Riding a Fireclaw or a Thunderjaw or even flying on a Stormbird would be so fucking cool! I would also like to see a few new robots that more closely resemble dinos too. Give me an ankylosaur, triceratops and spinosaurus!
I called it projection. Specifically the "you must be a Nintendo fan". Once clarified that it wasn't, then it became about reading inability.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations to Sony and Guerrilla Games. Horizon Zero Dawn was an excellent 9.5/10 game for me, my 2017 game of the year and is my third best game of the generation. Can't wait for the sequel on PlayStation 5!!!

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the quest design was relatively good for the genre, but then I want the whole genre to get better at it so I'm not disagreeing with you!

I'd like to see them improve:

Melee combat
Quest design
City size/interactivity
Climbing (either put the yellow handholds in far more places or just let her climb freely like Link)
Maybe a bit more depth to the RPG systems, like she makes a choice to do Y or Z and that creates a different outcome
EDIT - and more rideable mounts! Being able to ride a Thunderjaw or Stormbird would be fucking amazing!

Probably some other stuff I have forgotten too.

The quests that I disliked the most were "highlight the tracks" and follow the trail until you get to the next event.

Aug 9, 2018
Was it the statement or were you just defensive? Because I don't see any of people that actually said negative things about the game getting quoted a dozen times.

As Triggerhappytel said, even if it wasn't your intention your original post came off as downplaying the milestone by saying it was on sale for most of last year which implies that it only reached that milestone because of heavy discounts, just like the poster you qouted was implying.

You getting quoted a dozen times for it after explaining it wasn't your intention to downplay the milestone was unfortunate but that is just how it is, some will read the first page and reply to the first post they disagree with. Only way to prevent further misunderstanding is to edit your original post and maybe put your clarification there.

Jan 31, 2018
One of the few games nowadays I enjoyed enough to 100%. Well almost; didn't bother with the trials in the DLC. Flawed in some areas, but still a terrific experience. Looking forward to the sequel even though it's probably half a decade out.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
How are you still talking about SoT selling over 10 million even though you read sales threads is beyond me.
I mean you're the guy who doesn't get the concepts of could, will and can't.
So it makes sense you can't get that.

Could you please go away, learn about what you're discussing and then come back? Nothing you have said is accurate.
r/gatekeeping
I know what I'm talking about. I do that stuff for a living. What are your references?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon budget was not high at all indeed

€45m
6 years development (including preprod with 20 people)
Peak team 250 (+100 outsourcing in China)

For comparison :
- The Witcher 3 : €72.5m (including marketing) with €55m net profits for 6m sold in 6 weeks
- God of War 3 : $44m
- Detroit : €30m
- Uncharted 2 : €25m (+10-15% from Uncharted 1 budget)
- Beyond Two Souls : €20m
- Heavy Rain : €18m

Oh wow, that is really cheap for a big open world game. Holland must be a cheaper country to live & work in than I thought!

Amazing. Game wasn't for me, but I can't wait to see what they do next.

Btw, is the IP Horizon or Horizon Zero Dawn? Just asking coz I'm wondering if the sequel will have that in the title

This game is called Horizon Zero Dawn, which sounds kinda dumb but relates to a plot element. I would like the sequel to be called Horizon 2: Subtitle Here, but I suspect it may just end up being called Horizon Subtitle Here.

When you talk about biggest new IP you talk about IP sales. Not just a single game.
Otherwise Sea of Thieves will be the highest selling anyway, because Horizon Zero Dawn gets a second and third game eventually, but Sea of Thieves will always be just that one "Sea of Thieves" game.

Games are different. Some release several iterations and some are single game IPs.

Could you please go away, learn about what you're discussing and then come back? Nothing you have said is accurate.

Wow, fantastic costume. It reminds me that both my older kids like Horizon, my daughter because of Aloy (as well as the gameplay), and my son because it has robot fucking monsters in it! It's also a good excuse to teach my son that women can be heroes too.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing. Game wasn't for me, but I can't wait to see what they do next.

Btw, is the IP Horizon or Horizon Zero Dawn? Just asking coz I'm wondering if the sequel will have that in the title
Both I think, Horizon: Zero Dawn makes a lot of sense for the first game and the expansion though, so wouldn't be surprised if it's Horizon: [something else] for the sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
As Triggerhappytel said, even if it wasn't your intention your original post came off as downplaying the milestone by saying it was on sale for most of last year which implies that it only reached that milestone because of heavy discounts, just like the poster you qouted was implying.

You getting quoted a dozen times for it after explaining it wasn't your intention to downplay the milestone was unfortunate but that is just how it is, some will read the first page and reply to the first post they disagree with. Only way to prevent further misunderstanding is to edit your original post and maybe put your clarification there.
Thanks for the reasonable response. The problem with that is, the game was on sale for most of last year. It could imply whatever, but that's still a true statement regardless. And it's since been clarified that most of it's sales were before then, so I got my answer.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as Sony is putting out games of this quality, no amount of Microsoft pro-consumer features will make much of a dent.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
It all started with this image.
guerrilla__large.jpg

Over 10 million in 2 years is big for a new IP, especially when it's single-player only. Congrats to Guerrilla Games. Can't wait for the sequel.
Remember when people said that Sony canceled a project because it was a Destiny Clone? lamo
Was the game + DLC not sold for $20 last year and then $10 during black Friday? Did that not happen?
I'm literally saying, geeze, I hope they made money before that.
Had I said "I mean, most of those probably came when the game was $20", I'd understand you being so defensive, it'd still be annoying, but I'd get it.
Yeah but your assumptions are wrong, kiddo

Oct 27, 2017
The quests that I disliked the most were "highlight the tracks" and follow the trail until you get to the next event.

Yes, I definitely agree with that. Detective Vision of any kind can piss off into the sea. If they're going to keep it for the sequel they should expand on it so it's not just following breadcrumbs, but putting clues together to solve mini-mysteries in a similar way to Tacoma or Edith Finch.

EDIT - not Edith Finch, I mean Ethan Carter!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017
Awesome. I loved HZD. Going to wait another year so I can do another replay of it. Want to try to forget as much as I can before going back for that 3rd replay.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

I like this game where we make stuff up about Sea of Thieves, can I play?

SEA OF THIEVES IS THE HIGHEST SELLING GAME OF ALL TIME!

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I definitely agree with that. Detective Vision of any kind can piss off into the sea. If they're going to keep it for the sequel they should expand on it so it's not just following breadcrumbs, but putting clues together to solve mini-mysteries in a similar way to Tacoma or Edith Finch.

That would be great! It would be even better if there were multiple ways to complete quests depending on your play style throughout the game like a traditional RPG.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Turned out to have one of my favorite stories in a game ever. Combine that with excellent gameplay and graphics and it's no wonder it got my GOTY in 2017.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorites this gen. Game really resonated with me on a deep level. Adored the combat, machines, characters, and world. Cannot wait to see more from the series.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Game was disappointing but I feel it's setup perfectly for a good sequel similar to Ac to ac2.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so cute! but it just reminded me how pissed off i got when early in the game kids throw stones at aloy.
Yep. Super cute :)
Make sense when you learn how the parents act. They think they are something special because they live in a bigger village and Rost being an outcast. Kids act like their parents. And it made sense why Aloy wasn't a huge fan of them, even at the end of the game.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is hilarious, your posts read as if it's a given the game will sell more than that let alone a chance to do that, as I've said for someone spending time in sales threads you have some weird biased looks at things.

anil

Nov 3, 2017
Completed the game yesterday..what a great game ,deserve all the accolades it got ..story and setting are phenomenal..

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

You make zero sense, best selling exclusive new IP can only reference one game otherwise it's a franchise. It's pretty simple compare the first game in a series and see what have sold the most. Not rocket science. And please give us those Sea of Thieves numbers they sound very high if you are to be believed.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing...I wonder at what level is Uncharted 4 atm, people were doubting it reached 10M when obviously it has

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

r/gatekeeping
I know what I'm talking about. I do that stuff for a living. What are your references?
Knack could have sold 100 million units by now, sony just never told us.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

Okay but once you release a sequel the sequel is no longer a new IP it's part of a continuing franchise.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
It reminds me that both my older kids like Horizon, my daughter because of Aloy (as well as the gameplay), and my son because it has robot fucking monsters in it! It's also a good excuse to teach my son that women can be heroes too.

And early exposure to strong female characters is so important, so fundamental. I grew up reading a series of teenage mystery books that had a female main character and it had an immense impact on me.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really didn't care for Aloy's arc of self-discovery.

But the combat, sci-fi meta story and visuals are next level!!!

Can't wait to see where they go next. If the sequel gets announced along with the PS5, I'm throwing money at them.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has some of the weirdest trolls lol how the fuck did Splatoon and Sea of Thieves come up. But anyway, supper happy for Guerilla! Can't wait to see what they produce on PS5.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Nice. Despite my many issues with the game like the world design being so restrictive that a text pops up telling you you're leaving the play area that I hope are addressed in a sequel to be more like breath of the wild, I had a lot of fun with it and the robot dinosaur combat is a great foundation to work on.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, I think that by the end of the human civilization, Horizon will sell 500 million units. That's a lot of time until then and I think they can achieve that. Maybe.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Single player game. No microtransactions. Sold 10M. In this current climate, a win for H:ZD is a win for us all.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's also worth pointing out that something changed this gen. Playstation always sold a lot of consoles but their exclusives never moved too many copies but this gen only we have Uncharted 4, Horizon, God Of War and Spider-Man above 10M copies sold. I don't know if it's marketing, different appeal of the games, more hardcore consumers or other reason but they're making a lot of progress in selling their exclusives and it seems the games are resonating with people.
I think starting from last gen Sony showed they were committed to quality exclusives. To me PS5s much like PS4s biggest appeal will be beyond services and BC, it will be teams like GG making games only for it.