• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Despite my many issues with the game like the world design being so restrictive that a text pops up telling you you're leaving the play area that I hope are addressed in a sequel to be more like breath of the wild, I had a lot of fun with it and the robot dinosaur combat is a great foundation to work on.

1*NgvUckp4l2me145vlofY1g.jpeg

Aug 9, 2018
Thanks for the reasonable response. The problem with that is, the game was on sale for most of last year. It could imply whatever, but that's still a true statement regardless. And it's since been clarified that most of it's sales were before then, so I got my answer.

That is true, but in a thread meant to celebrate a sales milestone it is quite normal to assume that a comment pointing out that it has been sold at a discount for most of last year implies that it only reached the milestone because of that, but like you said you already clarified that it wasn't your intention to downplay the success of Horizon, so maybe just edit your original post and put your clarification there to avoid further quoting.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I asked a question that was answered. Why drag it out.

I know you've already been banned, but where is the question in this?

The game and the DLC together were like $20 and sometimes $10 last year.

Happy for the milestone, but hope someone actually made money after the price drop.

You keep acting like everyone else is having trouble with understanding you, but it looks like you have trouble communicating effectively.

Anyway, good for Horizon. I never got around to the DLC, but maybe I should change that.

Edit: I don't think anyone would have had a problem with you asking about sales before and after price drops. If that was really what you wanted to know.

Vroadstar

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This thread has some of the weirdest trolls lol how the fuck did Splatoon and Sea of Thieves come up. But anyway, supper happy for Guerilla! Can't wait to see what they produce on PS5.

Combining splatoon 1 & 2 sales, SOT apparently selling 10 million and doubling down. Yup i agree with you so weird.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Over 10 million is nuts for a brand new ip, and their 1st open world game too.

What was the ps4 install base at the time the game launched, 70 million?

Either way Well Done, i loved the game.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
this game was so disappointing. I've forced myself to play like maybe 15hrs. It came out at same time as BOTW. So i played it for maybe 2 days...and then didn't touch it again for like 8 months. Because i was busy playing BOTW, and playing both at same time didn't seem feasible or necessary.

So maybe a year after a launch i really sat down and forced myself to play. Idk what it is, but the game just never does it. There are many things i like about the game. But actually playing it isn't one of them unfortunately. On paper this games amazing. In practice not so much

i feel bad and try to pick it back up, every now and then. And can't tolerate more than an hour. Then i put it down for months again

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
this game was so disappointing. I've forced myself to play like maybe 15hrs. It came out at same time as BOTW. So i played it for maybe 2 days...and then didn't touch it again for like 8 months. Because i was busy playing BOTW, and playing both at same time didn't seem feasible or necessary.

So maybe a year after a launch i really sat down and forced myself to play. Idk what it is, but the game just never does it. There are many things i like about the game. But actually playing it isn't one of them unfortunately. On paper this games amazing. In practice not so much

i feel bad and try to pick it back up, every now and then. And can't tolerate more than an hour. Then i put it down for months again
Congratulations! You've just discovered subjectivity. Not every game is going to resonate with everyone. Luckily, there are thousands of other games out there that may suit your tastes better.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you talk about biggest new IP you talk about IP sales. Not just a single game.
Otherwise Sea of Thieves will be the highest selling anyway, because Horizon Zero Dawn gets a second and third game eventually, but Sea of Thieves will always be just that one "Sea of Thieves" game.

Games are different. Some release several iterations and some are single game IPs.

This makes... literally no sense.

The quests that I disliked the most were "highlight the tracks" and follow the trail until you get to the next event.

Not saying you are wrong but this is not really an Horizon problem, more than it is with every other open world game in existence (story driven ones I mean).

The Witcher 3, arguebly the most well received story driven open world game ever uses that in almost every single sidequest and that game is praised as the open world with the best sidequests in gaming.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah that happened a couple of time in botw and is a flaw there, but I swear to god it happened at least five or six times on horizon trying to do the most basic of things exploring lmao. (And the text is a bit worse too, literally calling it "the play area")

Why do they do that at all? Have a cutscene with god striking you down with lightning and killing you if you've got to do that sort of thing. Or you could have it bounce you back and it play the sonic spring sound effect. anything would be better. The text is so immersion breaking.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but single player games are soooooo dead. Why would greenlight such a thing.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It depends on what kind of games you like. A game is not for everybody. I played Horizon Zero Dawn and loved it. My GOTY 2017. Played Zelda BOTW and hated it. Super boring so I couldn't finish it. Even tho you can go to the main boss after a few minutes :P And I actually love Zelda. Link's Awakening is one of the best games of all time for me. It is what it is.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats GG and Sony, one of my favs of the gen. Extra impressive for such a shift in game type too. Loved the sci-fi plus nature designs and art style too. Can't wait for the sequel.

LIke others have already said, was so good to see such a huge new single-player IP.

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's also worth pointing out that something changed this gen. Playstation always sold a lot of consoles but their exclusives never moved too many copies but this gen only we have Uncharted 4, Horizon, God Of War and Spider-Man above 10M copies sold. I don't know if it's marketing, different appeal of the games, more hardcore consumers or other reason but they're making a lot of progress in selling their exclusives and it seems the games are resonating with people.
It's also worth pointing out that something changed this gen. Playstation always sold a lot of consoles but their exclusives never moved too many copies but this gen only we have Uncharted 4, Horizon, God Of War and Spider-Man above 10M copies sold. I don't know if it's marketing, different appeal of the games, more hardcore consumers or other reason but they're making a lot of progress in selling their exclusives and it seems the games are resonating with people.
Ps3 era was just too full of Sony jank outside of ND. Killzone, Infamous, Resistance, MAG were just boring and the third parties offered better alternatives.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It depends on what kind of games you like. A game is not for everybody. I played Horizon Zero Dawn and loved it. My GOTY 2017. Played Zelda BOTW and hated it. Super boring so I couldn't finish it. Even tho you can go to the main boss after a few minutes :P And I actually love Zelda. Link's Awakening is one of the best games of all time for me. It is what it is.
i feel like if Zelda didn't come out at same time. I would've liked Horizon. Like i know they're completely different games. But they also have many similarities.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why can't BOTW fans keep away from entering Horizon threads just to tell how much the game sucks and how superior BOTW it is compared to it? Seriously. It is literally a thread to celebrate a big milestone to Horizon Zero Dawn and there are multiple people coming in to trash the game and compare it to BOTW.

It is not even something new. It is been like this since the pre-release of the game. What an insufferable fanbase...

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

This is exactly how I felt about BotW after playing Horizon. I just couldn't force myself to play Zelda.

Well someone else posted my thunder while typing, but yeah.. why can't BotW fans stay away. We get it, you like your game. Good. This is a different game and it's ok to like it too. Damn they even said it better than I can.

All of this reminds me that I need to get back to play the DLC. The main game was my first Platinum but I never returned to finish up the new content.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i feel like if Zelda didn't come out at same time. I would've liked Horizon. Like i know they're completely different games. But they also have many similarities.
A few similarities like being open world, but that's it. Horizon is all about great combat versus the machines and a fantastic story.
Zelda is all about exploration. That's one of the reasons for the "you can't climb everything" thing.
Depends on what's more important to you / what you like more. For me, it's HZD's combat, monsters, world and story.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing that even 10M would be an insane longshot, yet here we are already. o_o This possibly sold above the optimistic expectations of Sony, but it does put them in a great position for the PS5 because they have strong IP in the pipeline. Uncharted 4, Horizon, Spider-Man, (will) God of War (will) and TLOU 2 all selling 10M+ is an insane turn around for Sony and it's forcing MS to step up their first party game imo. It's also good news for Guerilla since they have more resources and I would love to see them evolve Killzone or create a new shooter IP.

Rckstar

Oct 29, 2017
Fantastic game and well deserved!

My only gripe was that the "Big" city felt kinda dead and small.
Hope they address that in the sequel.

AMAKAN93

May 5, 2018
Haha, funnily enough I just got the Platinum earlier today. Didn't realize today was the 2 year anniversary.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember hearing that even 10M would be an insane longshot, yet here we are already. o_o This possibly sold above the optimistic expectations of Sony, but it does put them in a great position for the PS5 because they have strong IP in the pipeline. Uncharted 4, Horizon, Spider-Man, (will) God of War (will) and TLOU 2 all selling 10M+ is an insane turn around for Sony and it's forcing MS to step up their first party game imo. It's also good news for Guerilla since they have more resources and I would love to see them evolve Killzone or create a new shooter IP.
I'm super happy for the studio. Soon, they will have an even bigger office/studio (soon around 450 employees). Up there with the big ones like Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica Studio :)

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic game and well deserved!

My only gripe was that the "Big" city felt kinda dead and small.
Hope they address that in the sequel.

I am hoping the next one will receive an even bigger budget, so I am expecting a much bigger game in scope, cities included.

If I am not wrong, GG is now Sony's biggest studio, isnt it? Horizon 2 will be biiiiig!

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that happened a couple of time in botw and is a flaw there, but I swear to god it happened at least five or six times on horizon trying to do the most basic of things exploring lmao. (And the text is a bit worse too, literally calling it "the play area")

Why do they do that at all? Have a cutscene with god striking you down with lightning and killing you if you've got to do that sort of thing. Or you could have it bounce you back and it play the sonic spring sound effect. anything would be better. The text is so immersion breaking.

I feel like Horizon emphasizes responsive controls over immersion anyway so it's not a big deal that this message pops up.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations, hopefully this means the team gets paid well and that a bigger budget for the sequel is approved.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
I feel like Horizon emphasizes responsive controls over immersion anyway so it's not a big deal that this message pops up.
Whynotboth.gif

Again I like the game! Just felt it could have handled the exploration a lot better than it did. But being released right next to BOTW is going to do that.

Do find it funny it has better dungeons than BOTW though. (It isn't saying much and they're not the greatest but at least they have some atmosphere unlike the computer level shrines!)