• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sp3ratus

Oct 27, 2017
Also GOTY for me, though it''s been such a fantastic year for games, it's been tough to just choose one.

I haven't been back to the game, since I 100%ed it back in March, so I'm really excited about The Frozen Wilds coming out in a week. I also want to go back and play NG+ and Ultra Hard some day, but as mentioned above, so many games to play this year.

Title of this OT is still on point ^^

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful OT! Horizon was the first game I ever platinumed. Can't wait for the DLC to go back!

Ancirawr

Oct 26, 2017
Denton, TX.
Whoa Frozen Wilds is in like a week? My god I thought that November was fairly clear for me, now I'm going to have to get the base game reinstalled to jump back in. By chance does anyone know if it has a standalone version? I know Sony's first party DLC is sometimes able to be played without the base.

Awesome OT btw, Horizon was low-key one of the best games this year for me. Going to probably be in my Top 5 and is definitely in contention for GotY :D

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's not that many so I'd say do them, but you should be fine for the most part if you don't want to do all. All the best weapons are tied to merchants. The best armour is tied to a sidequest though, but you can't finish it until right by the end of the game and it just makes the game really easy, like you are basically unkillable on anything but Ultra Hard.

The over powered armour side quest is called Ancient Armory.

Thank you, I'm about 12 hours in and I'm still using the same bow and spear, I should probably upgrade by now

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa Frozen Wilds is in like a week? My god I thought that November was fairly clear for me, now I'm going to have to get the base game reinstalled to jump back in. By chance does anyone know if it has a standalone version? I know Sony's first party DLC is sometimes able to be played without the base.

Awesome OT btw, Horizon was low-key one of the best games this year for me. Going to probably be in my Top 5 and is definitely in contention for GotY :D
You do need to have the base game installed

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find a link to the little video they just played at PGW. There looked to be a few new things in that.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I pretty much stopped playing games for the most part around when this came out, but finally got back in the mood to pick up a controller recently. Ive put 20 hours in in the last week. God damn it, this game is amazing, im especially impressed that the story is actually engrossing as hell.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
That fire-breathing thing at 0:12 and 0:24, right? Definitely looks wolf-like. Although, the ears make me think of foxes more. I am so excited to fight that thing and whatever other Machines Guerrilla's got in store for us!
I pretty much stopped playing games for the most part around when this came out, but finally got back in the mood to pick up a controller recently. Ive put 20 hours in in the last week. God damn it, this game is amazing, im especially impressed that the story is actually engrossing as hell.
You'd think it would fall short in one or the other, but nope. Story and gameplay. They both just absorb you and never let go. Until you finish the game and Persona 5 comes out and you're spending so much money buying all the Persona merch you can.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
That fire-breathing thing at 0:12 and 0:24, right? Definitely looks wolf-like. Although, the ears make me think of foxes more. I am so excited to fight that thing and whatever other Machines Guerrilla's got in store for us!

You'd think it would fall short in one or the other, but nope. Story and gameplay. They both just absorb you and never let go. Until you finish the game and Persona 5 comes out and you're spending so much money buying all the Persona merch you can.
I bought P5 and put like 2 hours into it ;_; For some reason gaming is just a fall/winter thing for me haha.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Notice that purple electricity effect on a couple of the machines? I wonder if it might be a new take on corrupted machines. Also the way the Tallneck is stomping down trees makes it seem like it may not be stuck walking in circles.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I bought P5 and put like 2 hours into it ;_; For some reason gaming is just a fall/winter thing for me haha.
Whaaat? That's a shame, man. But hey, you do you. Go at it at your own pace, whichever feels good. Don't force yourself.
Notice that purple electricity effect on a couple of the machines? I wonder if it might be a new take on corrupted machines. Also the way the Tallneck is stomping down trees makes it seem like it may not be stuck walking in circles.
Oh yeah! I saw that. For some reason I immediately just chalked it up as corruption and not something new, even though that's not what corruption looks like. Maybe it just took a different form in the tundra? The way the Tallneck scene was shot did make me feel a little like something else was up... so maybe they'll be doing more than just that and have a bigger role?

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
A fight against a corrupted Tallneck would be amazing, but something like that would probably be save for a sequel.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whaaat? That's a shame, man. But hey, you do you. Go at it at your own pace, whichever feels good. Don't force yourself.

Oh yeah! I saw that. For some reason I immediately just chalked it up as corruption and not something new, even though that's not what corruption looks like. Maybe it just took a different form in the tundra? The way the Tallneck scene was shot did make me feel a little like something else was up... so maybe they'll be doing more than just that and have a bigger role?
that the Banuk have a method for taking control of machines similar to but cruder than Aloy's override technique.

Maybe that's what that is?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
that the Banuk have a method for taking control of machines similar to but cruder than Aloy's override technique.

Maybe that's what that is?
Wasn't that just what we saw in the game, though? The Machines simply being calm around them, etc. and not displaying any other visual signs aside from the blue light?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
That was because one of Gaia's cores emitting a signal
Oh shit, right. The thing that those doofuses broke, right? I can see it being the Banuk then, I suppose. They'd feel a lot more menacing than I imagined if that was the case.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got an idea for the title of Horizon 2.

Horizon Far Zenith

I hope that's what it is.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is almost a zero percent chance this will happen.
I hope it is. It makes sense as they really went into detail on Far Zenith in the game and they are like one of two parties who could conceivably send the signal. Maybe it would tie into Rost's backstory too. Those mercenaries were looking for something specific in Denver.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I've got an idea for the title of Horizon 2.

Horizon Far Zenith

I hope that's what it is.
I would love for this to be the case. Fits with the title format and it's something I was very intrigued with as I was playing through the game, so I definitely want to learn more about that.

I initially thought that a sequel would lose some of what made the first game so engrossing due to many of the mysteries being answered already, but there's still quite a few to uncover and learn about, huh? I just wonder if the game will still be as exciting to play in future instalments if there aren't nearly as much, if any, mysteries left to solve.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a screenshot of the new Machine, seems like it's called "Scorcher." I like it! Looks really cool.
Scorcher_1509454723.jpg

Dash

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else getting a bug starting a new game. Every time I try (wiped every autosave) it skips the intro and jumps me forward to "six years later". This is with the latest patch installed.

Weird.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a screenshot of the new Machine, seems like it's called "Scorcher." I like it! Looks really cool.
Kinda cute. I wonder if the ears are just for show or if it's got sonar scanning or something.

Anyone else getting a bug starting a new game. Every time I try (wiped every autosave) it skips the intro and jumps me forward to "six years later". This is with the latest patch installed.

Weird.
I noticed the same thing awhile ago when my nephew started a new game under my profile. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or intentional.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda cute. I wonder if the ears are just for show or if it's got sonar scanning or something.
The yellow sections on a Machine are often the detachable parts that do something, right? A scanner sounds about right to me.

Man, thinking about tearing off parts off of a Machine reminds me of how fun it is to fight Stalkers... I really should start my New Game Plus soon.
How do I upgrade my spear?
There's a very early quest called "In Her Mother's Footsteps," the reward is the only spear upgrade in the game. It's located in The Embrace, the starting area. Should be easy to find. I believe it was one of my very first side quests. It involves helping a father and daughter.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a very early quest called "In Her Mother's Footsteps," the reward is the only spear upgrade in the game. It's located in The Embrace, the starting area. Should be easy to find. I believe it was one of my very first side quests. It involves helping a father and daughter.

Thanks, I remember doing that, I was just wondering why I never saw upgrades in the stores for new spears

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Does this game still feature the ability to shoot a cable and trap an enemy as in the trailer where Aloy went against a mechanical trex? Im playing it and shooting at enemies bit does nothing it would be a bummer if they didnt include this feature

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game still feature the ability to shoot a cable and trap an enemy as in the trailer where Aloy went against a mechanical trex? Im playing it and shooting at enemies bit does nothing it would be a bummer if they didnt include this feature

The ropecaster will hold an enemy down, but you have to have the upgraded ont to tie down a Thunderjaw or Stormbird. Also, if you put tear mods on it, they tear pieces off but don't hold - so don't use them. Put handling mods on it.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
You're using the ropecaster, right? You have to hold down the button til you see Aloy lock it to the ground. Otherwise, it won't do anything.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Its still there, use the ropecaster. Hold the button till you see the rope is locked

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this OT. how do you subscribe thread!! I have just started my full walkthrough , looking forward to some tips and suggestion. is there screenshot thread as well??

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I love the Scorcher!

I love it. I love it so damn much. It's gonna be fun as heck fighting these things. And I really appreciate these videos. It's cool hearing Guerrilla talk about the Machines and how they came to be. I especially love hearing about the various animals that make up the final product.

Here's that photo from the PS Blog post:

24103191148_9036c9ed34_k.jpg

She sure looks beautiful, doesn't she?

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Its still there, use the ropecaster. Hold the button till you see the rope is locked
You're using the ropecaster, right? You have to hold down the button til you see Aloy lock it to the ground. Otherwise, it won't do anything.
The ropecaster will hold an enemy down, but you have to have the upgraded ont to tie down a Thunderjaw or Stormbird. Also, if you put tear mods on it, they tear pieces off but don't hold - so don't use them. Put handling mods on it.

So it turns out i was doing it wrong. Thanks!

I dont know why i didnt play this earlier. Love open worlds and sci-fi so for me this is just perfect. The robot dinosaus just top it. So good.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to do all of the Cauldrons and get all of the Banuk figures in my Ultra Hard save before TFW comes out just in case they have relevance.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
I love it. I love it so damn much. It's gonna be fun as heck fighting these things. And I really appreciate these videos. It's cool hearing Guerrilla talk about the Machines and how they came to be. I especially love hearing about the various animals that make up the final product.

Here's that photo from the PS Blog post:

24103191148_9036c9ed34_k.jpg

She sure looks beautiful, doesn't she?

That looks insane! Horizon is my GOTY and it is also joint number 1 game of all time!

I freaking love the horns on that thing.