• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for Joseph Anderson to post a long form analysis on this game but it looks like if it comes it will be sometime into next year.

In the meantime I've listened to this video from Lorerunner posted a couple weeks ago. Story analysis starts at 14:54.

Here's another long form video from around launch time.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I played through the game at release. Found all the hidden artifacts, maxed level and skills, etc. It was fun, but far too easy. I just re-acquired the game with Frozen Wilds and will be playing through again.

I want a real challenge. Starting fresh on Ultra Hard sounds amazing. However, there is the New Game+ temptation as well. I am concerned that it would take away much of the exploration and growth aspect from the game, since you keep all items and skills.

Any comments on this? I am still unclear as to what bonuses you get in this mode. Some customization options and extra slots on certain gear?

I'm still leaning toward a fresh start. I doubt I would have it in me to play through the game three times, so this will be my final experience.

Mithos

Oct 27, 2017
What difficulty setting did you play at, originally?

First playtrough unlocking 100%, and all trophies but the 2 NG+ once, I played Normal difficulty, and it was darn hard sometimes, until you got skill unlocks and weapon upgrades and of better knowledge on how to really take down the machines.

Planning NG+ on the Ultrahard difficulty... Someday.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, should have put it on Hard. ^^ I did that and it was just right. Challenging at times, especially with Thunderjaws and Stormbirds and the like, but never overly frustrating.

Normal is the new Easy. I typically default to Hard nowadays, unless it's a genre I'm absolutely terrible at, or if the game has a reputation for being difficult to begin with (e.g. Ys Origin).

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I am doing a normal playthrough on my ps4 pro just so I can see the sights again. It really is absurdly easy. Will probably do a new game+ on the hardest difficulty.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
What's the better option if I don't have a 4k tv? Performance mode or the graphics one? What's the difference, except the obvious graphical one. Better framerate I'd assume, but how much?
Is the framerate is going to tank when running into fights with some big robots if I go with graphics mode?

I just started the game so I haven't really meet anything to fight yet.

Thanks.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Excuse the lousy pics, but I finally picked up my uh, Complete Edition.

DSkGgp7X4AANVin.jpg:large

DSkGgq2XkAAzYR2.jpg:large
DSkGgp6WsAECAKs.jpg:large
DSkGgp_XUAAxlUD.jpg:large

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I started playing "wrong" and now it's very difficult to play. I thought the combined abilities of being able to whistle and a silent attack would get me through the game. I don't know how to play properly now.

It took me ages to do a bandit camp because I exclusively did headshots with a bow from tall grass.

I thought a cauldron would be easy because I was much higher level than the quest. Nope. After maybe half an hour I finally get to the end where I was so scared to fight a fire bellowback without being able to hide. I only just won after figuring out it gets stunned after running into a wall.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I did exactly the same thing - given the opportunity to play stealthy, I'll take that every single time. With the cauldrons, liberally salt the ground with trip wires & explosives before triggering the final fight. Once it's started, run & dodge all over the place, only taking shots at enemies when they're facing away from you or they're down from a tripwire/explosive. I never got the hang of the ropecaster, but I expect it would be useful once you're down to just the final boss.

Re: bandit camps - I just didn't do them, other than ones that were part of a quest. I skipped those & hunting lodges, and still got 80 hours of gameplay out of Horizon. If you don't enjoy something that's optional, not doing it is part of a winning strategy.

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
You missed out on the best NPC in the game if you didn't do bandit camps. They stunk but it was worth it.

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
Super unpopular opinion but, I got this game a few days ago and I just can't get into it. First off I suck at it, takes me ages to beat even one machine, second of all it feels like a generic role playing game to me. I loved the beginning playing as the child, but now I'm stuck in some night sequence trying to beat some giant machine which I have already died 30+ times trying to do. I didn't do a lot of research before buying this game, I'll admit I really thought it was an action adventure like Tomb Raider or Zelda or something. The camera also drives me nuts. I can't zoom out enough to see what's around me. I feel like I'm always frantically rotating.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
It's possible it's just not your kind of game, but it's also possible you're missing the strategy (it sounds like you're not laying down tripwires when they're trying to teach you to use tripwires). Since you already paid for it, I'd recommend watching a YouTube video or two of the section you're stuck on to see what other people are doing differently.

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah just lay down 2 trip wires on the path of the monster you are trying to kill. Put them directly next to each other, even. This will score you a hard knockdown. Then you can honestly just R2 melee him to death. He will keep getting stunned and KD'd.

Remember, they are just trying to teach you the easy critical spots to notice (Watcher eyes) and how to use traps/tripwires in this first section. Later on you will get a lot more varied ways to take down enemies.

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
I actually just managed to beat it! I have trouble getting into open world games (my only two favorites are Red Dead Redemption and Sleeping Dogs) but I'll keep pressing on with this game because it's quite beautiful and I see potential for it.

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
just put it on the easiest mode and have a good time. there are some amazing places in this game that I hope you persevere and see.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, if you died so often to the Sawtooth, you will really struggle on against the later big machines. Either turn down the difficulty and enjoy the story, or really learn how to exploit machine weakness (the Focus helps with that). It's worth it!

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I just finished the main game... what a ride.

At release I only played 6 or 7 hours... I just couldn't get into it. But around christmas I felt like I should give it another try. And damn did it click this time. I finished it with all main and side Quests done in about 40 hours. Definitely one of the best games I have ever played. I'm starting the frozen wilds tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've gotten a lot better with non-stealth encounters. I've been paying more attention to weaknesses and shooting parts off. When I get the chance though, I still love stealthing my way through anything possible. I think I break even on the time it takes because I get lots of headshot and stealth XP bonuses.

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, I admit it. After wanting to throw my controller at the TV for the past week, I set the game to story mode and I'm loving it. I must be really really bad at this game, but that part in the desert where you had to beat corrupted machines in a giant ditch was beyond frustrating before I changed the setting.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Complete Edition on sale, and it seems some of the included items haven't unlocked. The store lists:

INCLUDES:
• Horizon Zero Dawn.
• The Frozen Wilds expansion.
Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and Carja Mighty Bow.
• Carja Trader Pack.
Banuk Trailblazer Outfit and Banuk Culling Bow.
• Banuk Traveller Pack.
• Nora Keeper Pack.
• Digital art book.
• PS4™ theme.

Everything except the bolded has unlocked - I received the Carja/Nora/Banuk boxes, but opening them, there were no weapons or outfits, only some resources. I found this guide which says the items should be in the form of tokens in "Special Items" in the inventory, but none are there, I have no tokens. Karst the Trader also doesn't appear to stock those weapons or outfits.

Do they unlock somewhere else, or am I out of luck?

Edit: Ah, saw this posted on GameFAQs.

The Carja Storm Ranger Outfit, Banuk Trailblazer outfit, Carja Mighty Bow and Banuk Culling Bow can be obtained by visiting any Merchant outside of the Embrace or the Cut. These Merchants will have special treasure boxes that will contain the weapons and outfits. Please look for the following treasure boxes:

Carja Storm Ranger Outfit Box
Banuk Trailblazer Outfit Box
Carja Mighty Bow Box
Banuk Culling Bow Box

Hopefully this is what's happened and I just need to redeem these later in the game. Currently I'm
just at the point where I've said goodbye to Rost and about to enter the Proving

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
you can redeem them at any point. just find your next merchant and they will have them.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on Ultra Hard and need to get two Stormbird hearts to get an Adept Bow. I can take down a Stormbird in 5-10 minutes of hard fought battle but the drop rate is so low! I think I've killed 20 Stormbirds but so far have only 1 heart.

Is there an easier way??

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on Ultra Hard and need to get two Stormbird hearts to get an Adept Bow. I can take down a Stormbird in 5-10 minutes of hard fought battle but the drop rate is so low! I think I've killed 20 Stormbirds but so far have only 1 heart.

Is there an easier way??
Not really, sadly. You could possibly kill them faster, but the drop rate is up to the RNG gods.
Thanks, the next trader I spoke to had the boxes for each weapon and armour available. All sorted now thankfully!

nice. There was a time right when the game came out that those items were bugged and you were OP as fuck right out of the gate.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Innocent me walked into my first Thunderjaw at below level 20 or so. After pelting it with arrows for a while, stripping it of everything, I got randomly instakilled by its head-mounted guns, literally millimeters away from beating it.
Tried again, only to this time run out of material for ammo. And oh-so conveniently, there was not a single source of arrow materials close enough to not trigger the health reset. Wasted a whole hour on this piece of shit only to run out of resources...

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
First order of business with Thunderjaws is to knock off their artillery and use it against them. Those disc launchers have very limited ammo, so make each shot count, but they deal out a ton of damage.

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, freezing thunderjaws and using their weapons against them is too stronk

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
Oke so I'm currently about 6 hrs in.

Just got done with The Witcher III. And I was pretty burned out, so I had some doubts about getting this... But since I'm Dutch and all my friends are going crazy I figured fuck it.

So far the combat is way better than Witcher. I really like this female character Aloy, and the whole mysteriousness. Don't know about the characters I'm meeting during my time wandering the wilds yet... Met quite some losers tbh. The story definitely has something deeper going on. Something personal. I like it. Feel more attracted to the main story tbh.

When night comes the world turns 180 degrees, it gets much more scary. Love that. Witcher didn't have that. Got a craaaaazy rush from clearing my first bandit camp during crazy rain. Man.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
My memory is the Tomb Raider reboot switched writers for Rise Of The Tomb Raider, and was much the poorer for it (I thought Tomb Raider had a serviceable story, and Rise was pants-on-head dumb, to the extent that overall I found the experience more annoying than enjoyable). I really hope Guerilla keeps the quality of writing up for Horizon 2, as that was a huge part of the appeal of the game for me. I loved all the stories - Aloy's personal story, the story of how the world came to be, and the story the world obliquely told of all the different cultures springing up in their own environments.

Guerilla brought in John Gonzalez as Narrative Director for H:ZD, and while they're very different games it makes sense that he helped write Fallout: New Vegas.

Horizon: Zero Dawn's Narrative Director Says They Spent 'Hundreds' Of Hours Rewriting The Story

Last edited:

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
So I just came up to the part explaining what Zero Dawn is. That was pretty intense, gave me goose bumps. There is always hope it seems. I'm off continuing the game. Cheers!

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Beat the game, took me 40 hours to complete. By far one of the best and most enjoyable games I have played. I really can't wait to see the next one on PS5

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I finally beat this dang game at about 32ish hours and, man, Horizon got robbed lol. Between this and The Evil Within 2 as my favorite games of 2017.

Oct 25, 2017
Just hit level 20, I think I need stronger weapons, I'm still using Carja hunter and sharpshoot bows.........should I be using something else at this point?

Just finished the quest where you
rescue Olin and he tells you about Hades

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just hit level 20, I think I need stronger weapons, I'm still using Carja hunter and sharpshoot bows.........should I be using something else at this point?

Just finished the quest where you
rescue Olin and he tells you about Hades
Yeah, vendors near meridian sell shadow weapons. You also get some good weapons by completing the hunting grounds and then Frozen Wilds has some good weapons too if you have that, though it's also the hardest content in the game thanks to super spongey enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, vendors near meridian sell shadow weapons. You also get some good weapons by completing the hunting grounds and then Frozen Wilds has some good weapons too if you have that, though it's also the hardest content in the game thanks to super spongey enemies.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I should be buying the most expensive purples at vendors or better weapons are rewards from quests

Time to buy some purples lol

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Finished the Frozen Wilds today and what a disappointment it was. The daemonic creatures were basically the same as the corrupted ones and the story was really similar to the story of the main game. The game also did a really poor job of making you care for Orea. Her death felt so insignificant, whilst the game was making a big deal of it.

Overall a 6/10 dlc

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Noclip just posted an extended interview with John Gonzales (lead writer, voice of Hades)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The more I think about the ending the less I like it

Sylens works much better as a a kind of neutral evil type dude and I wouldn't want him to be the main antagonist of 2, there's also the fact that Hades manages to escape through space magic severely undercuts the accomplishment of the ending that was 5 minutes prior, not to mention it's just unnecessary sequel bait. I liked the ending scene with Elisabet a lot which makes the post credit scene even lamer.

Also it's lame as hell you never fight a metal devil, thought that was gonna be the final boss - Hades in a metal devil. Not just a deathbringer lol

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about the ending the less I like it

Sylens works much better as a a kind of neutral evil type dude and I wouldn't want him to be the main antagonist of 2, there's also the fact that Hades manages to escape through space magic severely undercuts the accomplishment of the ending that was 5 minutes prior, not to mention it's just unnecessary sequel bait. I liked the ending scene with Elisabet a lot which makes the post credit scene even lamer.

Also it's lame as hell you never fight a metal devil, thought that was gonna be the final boss - Hades in a metal devil. Not just a deathbringer lol
Thats more of the "Marvel stinger" than the ending per se. I agree that the ending by itself is powerful enough by itself that it doesn't need another hook. But maybe the writer will be aware of this going into a sequel.

But then again we might be in the minority. People really get into the proper ending, and then feel betrayed when
Sylens shows up at the end.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUp9rNleBjHj4kTp_PDM5yIdiLlkWwwYq

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the point where I'm supposed to defend
Meridian against the Eclipse.
How close to the end am I?

HitCtrlAltDel

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought the base game at launch and recently the Frozon Wilds DLC. Is there any way to get the carja storm ranger and banuk trailblazer outfits? Why weren't these included with the Frozone Wilds DLC?