• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Afy8Hvf.png

Developer: Guerrilla Games
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Platform: Playstation 4
Release Date: 28th Feb (US), 1st Mar (EU)
Genre: Action Role-Playing
Download: ~42 GBS

Thanks to shinobi602 , from whom I stole all this info

hzdstory0aul8.png

In a lush, post-apocalyptic world where nature has reclaimed the ruins of a forgotten civilization, pockets of humanity live on in primitive hunter-gatherer tribes. Their dominion over the new wilderness has been usurped by the Machines – fearsome mechanical creatures of unknown origin.

1-224kpg.png
2-2mvka2.png

The story follows Aloy, an outcast of the Nora tribe. As an individual, Aloy is inquisitive, compassionate and brave. Strong and resourceful, she was raised by Rost, another outcast. She has a fascination with technology and embraces it, much to the dismay of Rost. Spurred by certain events in the game, Aloy sets out to discover her origins and the secrets of the past.

hzdgameplay6euty.png

Horizon: Zero Dawn is an open world action RPG. You play as Aloy, an outcast of the Nora tribe, as she ventures forth to discover the mysteries of the world, as well as pursue her own agendas. On her journey, Aloy encounters a vast ecosystem of mechanical wildlife, wondrous robots each fulfilling a niche in an endless process, their goal a secret to everyone. These machines are both an obstacle and a resource to Aloy. Each machine is a source of materials for improving and sustaining Aloy's armor and arsenal. Whether it be collecting wire to create cables for her traps or tracking down rare parts to create new weapons, each machine is important if Aloy wants to survive the wilderness.

3-2p3kx5.png
4-270kqb.png

Beyond hunting machines, there is plenty to do in Horizon to keep players entertained. Whilst boasting a meaty main quest line, the game also features a wide variety of side content. Tribe quests help Aloy learn more about the tribes that populate the world, hunter trials help the player learn new ways to fight and to test out new strategies, corruption zones and bandit camps offer challenges for the player to clear the zones of enemies, and finally there are the cauldrons, a unique dungeon style environment where the player must put their skills to the test to recieve powerful rewards.

Throughout the course of the game, Aloy gains levels which allow you to customize her appearance, her skills, stats, weapon effectiveness, damage modifiers, etc. Looting fallen enemies and tracking down resources in the environment yield components for further crafting.

2260slu.png
333ls5s.png

hzdcombathduhh.png

Aloy is no slouch when it comes to fighting. An agile archer, she has deadly aim and the athleticism to easily weave throughout the battlefield. She comes armed with a wide variety of ranged weapons, traps, and her trusty spear. Throughout her adventure, you'll
increase her toolkit by crafting new weapons from the machine parts you collect. Aloy's main weapon of choice is her bow. The game offers a wide variety of bows, each coming with it's own forms of ammo. Ammo differs by damage type, all of which are tailored
for fighting different machines. Fire arrows and Ice arrows apply elemental damage, whilst Tear based weaponry is designed for ripping off machine components such as weaponry and armour plating. Many more elements exist in the game waiting for you to experiment
with. Aloy also has access to other ranged weapons to supplement her bow.

d2wjxJA.gif

The Ropecaster is a tool that allows Aloy to pin down machines and leash them to a spot, whilst the Tripcaster allows her to set tripwire traps to get the drop on unaware machines. She also has access to many more weapons, each with their own specific niche.

Whilst Aloy shines at ranged combat, even the most prepared huntress runs out of ammo eventually. For those moments, Aloy comes ready with her trusty spear. With a combination of light and heavy attacks Aloy is able to dispatch smaller enemies without
needing to waste resources, as well as stealthily striking unaware machines, and critically striking machines that she's managed to temporarily disabled.

COMBAT: THE MACHINES

The world of Horizon Zero Dawn is inhabited by machines of all shapes and sizes. Terrifyingly alien yet strikingly familiar, these mysterious automatons combine mechanical strength with organic features and an animalistic ferocity. These are just a handful of the deadly machines you'll encounter along your journey.

Thunderjaw

11fjsqp.png
127esd4.png

13u4s17.png

Snapmaw

147jsjb.png
154hsrm.png
162ls54.png

Behemoth

17vusqd.png
18les70.png

19s9sfm.png

Stormbird

20i9ser.png
22-299sjm.png
21xpsk1.png

hzdmediaj9u2m.png

hzdscreenshotsdkuj2.png

Bonus: SunhiLegend Gifs

hzdeditionsc6uce.png

horizon-zero-dawn-pre-order-bonuses-standard-edition-box-art-01-ps4-us-02jun16

Retail- $59.99 : The standard edition of the game is just that, standard. You get the disc!

61bKhM%2BlDzL.jpg

Retail - $69.99 : The Digital Deluxe Edition of the game comes with:

• Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 Game
  • The Art of Horizon Zero Dawn Digital Art Book
  • Exclusive PS4 Theme
  • In-Game DLC Items: Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and Mighty Bow, Banuk Trailblazer Outfit and Culling Bow, Banuk Traveller Pack, Carja Trapper Pack, Nora Keeper Pack

91MAuNi5UkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Retail - $119.99 : The Collector's Edition of the game comes with the following:

• Copy of Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Special Steelbook case
  • 9" ALOY Statue by Gentle Giant
  • 48 Page Art Book
  • Voucher for exclusive PS4 Dynamic Theme.
  • In-Game DLC Items: Carja Storm Ranger Armor, Carja Striker Bow, Carja Trader Pack, Banuk Trailblazer Armor, Banuk Culling Bow, Banuk Traveler Pack, Nora Keeper Pack, Nora Machine Trapper Pack

PqO28BV.png

Retail: $49.99

• Available December 4th
  • Includes Base game and Frozen Wilds DLC
  • Also includes all content from Digital Deluxe Edition

hzdfaqioupp.png

Q. How long is the game?
A.
Most estimate playtimes range from around 30 to 60 hours. The critical story path has been in about 25-30 hours on average.

Q. Is this open world?
A. Yes. This game is completely open world. The player is not limited or gated from exploring the world fully in its entirety. Some areas may be require you to be a higher level to stand a chance at survival.

Q. Is this a fully-fledged RPG?
A.
Yes. Horizon: Zero Dawn is an action RPG where you play the role of Aloy. During the course of the game, you level up your character, invest points and upgrades into various skills, craft weapons, armors and
other items, and engage in conversations with NPCs that may have an affect on other events in the game.

Q. How much harddrive space do I need?
A.
The game's total install size at the moment is around 42GB.

Q. Multiplayer?
A.
Nope.

REVIEWS

HoZSUEj.png

DCKcdq7XgAAeyXZ.jpg

Release Date: November 7th

Last edited:

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, now ResetEra really feels like home.

I was considering skipping Frozen Wilds at first and wait for the complete edition but I know there's no way I can resist.

Damax

Oct 25, 2017
I had such a hard time getting into this game but I'm glad I stuck with it, it was incredible. Once I started unlocking some better abilities and using different types of ammo it was so much fun to play. Such a cool story and the visuals were amazing.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here ever stumble across this?
37925151892_046ebe6a93_b.jpg

There isn't much in the way of hidden secret type stuff in the game world but I did find this on my second play through. You can only get to it by jumping from a Tallneck. Wonder if it's tied to the game's lore somehow, or maybe it's some artist's initial.

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017

There isn't much in the way of hidden secret type stuff in the game world but I did find this on my second play through. You can only get to it by jumping from a Tallneck. Wonder if it's tied to the game's lore somehow, or maybe it's some artist's initial.
damn that's some heavy shit.

Really cool that you found that.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Great OT.

Haven't played since platinuming the game. Need to brush up my skills, before dlc hits.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Hey thanks for adding a link to my gifs in the OT.
Love the game, looking forward to playing through the DLC, should be pretty awesome ;)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nice OT! I can provide some screenshots if you want :) PM or..?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Should I try getting the base game on ebay for ~20$ and then get the DLC, or should I hold off and get the GOTY Edition?

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
With the complete edition you'd get a few extra outfits and weapons. If that's not important to you I'd just go the cheaper route. Some of the exclusive outfits look pretty cool but I don't think there's anything too special about the weapons. Haven't actually used them myself though.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT.

My GOTY. Double dipping for the Complete Edition when it's out.

That is a nice find. Something I'd hope for (for Horizon 2) is that Guerrilla rewards our exploration more. It's such a gorgeously detailed world that it'd be better if we could find more secrets for exploring it. Maybe secret machines, secret paths that lead to them, etc. Don't show them on the map either. :P

Last edited:

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
A little new info about Frozen Wilds was just dropped at PAX Australia during a panel discussion of photo modes. Tim Stobo (designer at Guerilla) confirmed there is deformable snow. I think this is the first real confirmation? He said people and machines will leave tracks. Plus a new pose for photo mode:
Snow Angels!

Here's the specific spot where they talk about Frozen Wilds.
https://youtu.be/uKfY-ZSXIx4?t=6h36m10s

And a link to the entire discussion on Photo Mode in gaming. Pretty interesting talk.
https://youtu.be/uKfY-ZSXIx4?t=5h56m34s

Oh , and new wildlife
KPopfDR.jpg

edited 10/28 - added links

Last edited:

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deformable snow being confirmed makes me happy. I knew that wasn't going to be in the trailer for no reason. :)

Makes me happy to see so much effort going into this DLC.

Also I don't know what animal that is but it's cute.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
it's a Taxidea taxus or just called badger in NA

Have to finish the main game first, was waiting for my new TV (it's so gorgeous now in HDR). Hope to finish before the DLC drops.

Last edited:

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
That animal is adorable and you're totally going to have to kill a bunch of them. Inadvertent confirmation of new upgradeable equipment using its skin and bones, IMO.

I want a new fourth skill tree real bad.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for the DLC. I've been waiting to replay the game on NG+ with the new harder difficulty until the expansion got closer to release. This is one of my favorite games this year and I can't wait to get back into it.

Frozen Wilds is especially exciting as I'm always happy to have more snowy areas.

Fledgling

Oct 27, 2017
England
Took a while for me to get into Horizon to be honest. When it comes to big open world games like these I usually whack the difficulty setting up to its highest but here I needed to take it all the way down. Glad I did as this allowed me to experiment and learn about the different weapon types and machine weaknesses.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
11 more days until the Frozen Wilds. Should have rounded up Mario & Wolfenstein by that time and be fully primed for Aloy again. :)

PS. For those yet to jump in there will be the Complete Edition, w/Frozen Wilds, releasing in December for merely $49:
horizon_zero_dawn_complete_edition.jpg

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Just recently started my ng+ on ultra hard difficulty in preparation for the frozen wilds expansion. almost forgot how jaw droppingly gorgoeus it looks on the pro with 4k hdr

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Just recently started my ng+ on ultra hard difficulty in preparation for the frozen wilds expansion. almost forgot how jaw droppingly gorgoeus it looks on the pro with 4k hdr
yeah I am tempted to get a nice 4k tv and the ps4 pro just for the expansion. I was amazed at how good it looked on a 1080p with the normal ps4. I had so many screenshots but they got deleted somehow. I am gonna make another playthrough on hardmode here soon after I beat all these games.

Hey thanks for adding a link to my gifs in the OT.
Love the game, looking forward to playing through the DLC, should be pretty awesome ;)

no thank YOU for making such compelling content. So happy to see you again Sunhi. Can't wait for your gifs from The Frozen Wilds.

writerblue

Oct 27, 2017
I love that box art for the Complete Edition, I'd get it if I didn't already own the game. Eagerly counting down the days until The Frozen Wilds.

OP
OP
Zackat

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
thanks to Morrigan for the wonderful screenshots. I had to take off a few good ones because I hit the image cap lol.

I wonder if maybe to reduce size I should just link to some galleries as well? Kind of like I did with Sunhi's gifs. It would be a shame to shrink the pictures down.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So do we have ANY idea about the scope of this DLC yet? It's so close and I know practically nothing about it. That makes me think it's not very substantial, but $20 is W3 Blood and Wine pricing, so I would hope there's some meat to it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So do we have ANY idea about the scope of this DLC yet? It's so close and I know practically nothing about it. That makes me think it's not very substantial, but $20 is W3 Blood and Wine pricing, so I would hope there's some meat to it.

The DLC is supposed to take place on a new map beyond the Northern mountains. It's supposedly a decent-sized map.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Really looking forward to the dlc , for only 14 quid that I paid I'm not expecting a huge amount , but any more horizon is good . One of my fav games

NightSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely outstanding game. Really enjoyed it a great deal and am looking forward to The Frozen Wilds. Not long now.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning to replay the game on Ultra Hard once the Frozen Wilds launches. First thing I'll do is delete the ironman armour, or store it somewhere. Absolute delight of a game when it first released. Loved both Aloy and the story. There were a lot of interactions where she felt like a genuine human being.

I even bothered to collect everything to get the Platinum.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
thanks to Morrigan for the wonderful screenshots. I had to take off a few good ones because I hit the image cap lol.

I wonder if maybe to reduce size I should just link to some galleries as well? Kind of like I did with Sunhi's gifs. It would be a shame to shrink the pictures down.
I've got a bunch here if you need a gallery to link to. Man, there was so much beautiful stuff in the screenshot thread on the old site. Hopefully some of it will end up here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138721366@N03/sets/72157678003397853

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wait Frozen Wilds is out on the 7th? I thought it was the 17th or something for some reason.
Shit, probably won't be done with AC Origins by then.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth doing all the side quests, errands...?

Usually in open world games I just stick with the main quests but I'm worried I'd be underpowered if I do so

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Is it worth doing all the side quests, errands...?

Usually in open world games I just stick with the main quests but I'm worried I'd be underpowered if I do so

There's not that many so I'd say do them, but you should be fine for the most part if you don't want to do all. All the best weapons are tied to merchants. The best armour is tied to a sidequest though, but you can't finish it until right by the end of the game and it just makes the game really easy, like you are basically unkillable on anything but Ultra Hard.

The over powered armour side quest is called Ancient Armory.