• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
First person to reply to this post gets a code for the theme and digital art book from the Complete Edition. :)

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
So uhm ... this may sound like a dumb question (it probably is) but I'm at an impasse right now. Seeing how I've never delved into this game nor it's expansion and how the Complete Edition is 13.39$ on PS store, I might want to bite but on the other hand I'm a bit burned out on open-worlds at the moment after having finished RDR2 a bit ago and currently in the post game of GoW (not technically an open world game), while still having Yakuza Kiwami to start.

Question:
Can this be played as a non open world game, do the main mission, postpone side-content for later or does the game makes you craft and grind before tackling areas. From my info, the world map in this is huge. I doubt this won't be discounted again next year.

For the record, I wanted to get this since the combat gives me Dragon's Dogma vibes, but I've heard the melee is sucky and like I've mentioned I've just finished RDR2 which had a lot of shooty shooty but I loved GoW's combat which had more stabby stabby.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Can this be played as a non open world game, do the main mission, postpone side-content for later or does the game makes you craft and grind before tackling areas.

You can tackle the game as a mostly linear game, yes, from quest to quest through the main questline. You shouldn't need to grind at all, IIRC, as those quests give you enough XP that you'll always be at or around the recommended level to tackle the next one. With very few exceptions, you can do most of the side content at any point, as well.

For the record, I wanted to get this since the combat gives me Dragon's Dogma vibes, but I've heard the melee is sucky and like I've mentioned I've just finished RDR2 which had a lot of shooty shooty but I loved GoW's combat which had more stabby stabby.

Melee is serviceable, but definitely isn't the focus at all of the game. It's most a last resort and/or finisher thing. If you try to approach it like GoW, you'll be disppointed, because is neither deep nor flexible.

The focus is on ranged combat and, IMO, is much, much better at that than RDR (Rockstar games, in general, have pretty poor combat, IMO). It feels better, is more fun and complex; combat against the larger machines will ask you to use several weapons simultaneously, to address weaknesses and strengths. You need to think your attacks through; if you try to go in mindlessly just shooting, you'll do very little damage and end up dead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time Alloy says "My Focus is picking up a signal, I should scan it." What does the mean? I played and got the platinum so long ago and this is my come back on New Game Plus so I don't remember.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was pretty cool. Recently someone managed to get back to the cliff where Aloy's naming ceremeny took place in the opening cinematic. Not only does it exist within the game world but Aloy even has some dialog associated with the area.

It's up in the mountains above Mother's Heart, to the north. I've managed to get glimpses of it from below but as far as I know there's no way to reach it in-game. No idea how this was done. There's speculation that it was with an edited save file.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Not just dialog, but that seemed like music cues were triggered. Thanks so much for that! Makes me want to start from my last post-game save and try to get there myself. And it really makes me look forward to Horizon 2; my guess is that's going to be a PS5 title, so...good going, Sony, you've guaranteed at least one purchase of your next console.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Good point. It does seem like a fully complete little experience. Makes me curious as to why they decided not to include a direct path to this area. Or if they did it's an extremely well-hidden secret.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Era, I have to get this off my chest.
So I got this game (Complete Ed.) on the Christmas sale and fired it up a week or so ago.
I've currently just reached the desert part of the map but I'm already reaching some sort of fatigue with the game.
Don't know what it is since I've usually loved these kind of open world games, and love the world-building and art design in this one but I just reached a point where I feel like I'm still going just to see the ending.

Don't even know if I have it in me to start Frozen Wilds after that.
Started on normal but I'm inclined to set it to easy or story just to see it through, because I'm more captivated by the story than the actual gameplay at this point. I've tried all sorts of creative ways to down the machines but it's still "stealth gameplay 101" (hide in bush, lay traps, shoot, hide, silent strike, etc.)

As my gaming time is super limited, I feel like scouring through bushes to gather ingredients and whacking robots for shards gets pretty old, pretty fast so ....

Is there any point in continuing as it is or should I change it to easy and blast through it?

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Era, I have to get this off my chest.
So I got this game (Complete Ed.) on the Christmas sale and fired it up a week or so ago.
I've currently just reached the desert part of the map but I'm already reaching some sort of fatigue with the game.
Don't know what it is since I've usually loved these kind of open world games, and love the world-building and art design in this one but I just reached a point where I feel like I'm still going just to see the ending.

Don't even know if I have it in me to start Frozen Wilds after that.
Started on normal but I'm inclined to set it to easy or story just to see it through, because I'm more captivated by the story than the actual gameplay at this point. I've tried all sorts of creative ways to down the machines but it's still "stealth gameplay 101" (hide in bush, lay traps, shoot, hide, silent strike, etc.)

As my gaming time is super limited, I feel like scouring through bushes to gather ingredients and whacking robots for shards gets pretty old, pretty fast so ....

Is there any point in continuing as it is or should I change it to easy and blast through it?
It's an interesting story and worth finishing if you've liked it so far, so if you really aren't enjoying the combat at all I'd say put it on easy or story mode and finish out the main quests at least.

I'm not sure if it's the stealthy style of fighting you're not enjoying or just the combat in general but you certainly don't have to play stealthy if you don't want to. I've seen players go pretty much the whole game without using traps and tripwires. You could also check out some videos or guides to see if there's some aspects you've overlooked. I know it took me a little while to figure out exactly how the status effects worked (keep hitting the machines until the little meter is completely filled). Freezing machines is really powerful for example, gives a big damage multiplier to all your attacks. There will also be larger and more dangerous machines now that you're past Daytower, so that may be more fun for you. But like I said originally, I'd stick around for the story alone as long as you're still liking that aspect.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
It's an interesting story and worth finishing if you've liked it so far, so if you really aren't enjoying the combat at all I'd say put it on easy or story mode and finish out the main quests at least.

I'm not sure if it's the stealthy style of fighting you're not enjoying or just the combat in general but you certainly don't have to play stealthy if you don't want to. I've seen players go pretty much the whole game without using traps and tripwires. You could also check out some videos or guides to see if there's some aspects you've overlooked. I know it took me a little while to figure out exactly how the status effects worked (keep hitting the machines until the little meter is completely filled). Freezing machines is really powerful for example, gives a big damage multiplier to all your attacks. There will also be larger and more dangerous machines now that you're past Daytower, so that may be more fun for you. But like I said originally, I'd stick around for the story alone as long as you're still liking that aspect.

Thanks for the input.
I never do this, but this might be the first time I switch from normal to the easiest setting because I really want to see how the story plays out. I'm intrigued. Last night I wanted to just drop it, simply because all side-quests can be so repetitive.

I know about the status effects and different weapons and I've also studied the skill trees to see what I'd like to have later on but I guess it's something engrained in my mind; I simply can't go all out in stealth based games. I feel like I'm 'failing/cheting' even if the game has the tools for dynamic combat. I've killed a corruptor and sawtooth in this manner but I abused that slide slo-mo skill and it didn't feel "earned".

I just think I'm over the open-world formula that's been served in these last few years.

LE: Yeah, so after another 10 hrs in Story difficulty, I have dropped this. It's the game design which is bugging me. Too much time wasted, go there do that, kill this, get that, repeat, bleh. Too bad because the game looks pretty amazing at times, I like Aloy as a main and some of the machines are downright menacing but the game design is "that-old-Ubi-formula" which everyone used to hate when Unity released.

Last edited:

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Well, after playing the game in '17 I dove back in last weekend because I still haven't tackled Frozen Wilds and want to do that while being able to properly play the game on a hard dificulty. I tried to show a friend some random stuff late last year and got my ass kicked so hard, made me realize I'd have better luck easing into it a bit again. Just did the fight at the Denver stadium and heading to Meridian next. This game still blows me away in the visual department. It's only with the Witcher 3 that I've had such a good time just wandering through the forests. Man, if someone ever should take a stab at Middle-Earth again, I wouldn't mind Guerilla doing it. They know how to make nature look larger then life.

Also having fun doing a completely different build with regards to skills (currently put most of my points in Forager/Traveller. Man, that does wonders to quickly getting the right crafting materials and weapon/gear upgrades. Some weapons I never bothered with during my first run, gonna delve a bit deeper in those now (rattler, slings and tearblaster).

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Also having fun doing a completely different build with regards to skills (currently put most of my points in Forager/Traveller. Man, that does wonders to quickly getting the right crafting materials and weapon/gear upgrades. Some weapons I never bothered with during my first run, gonna delve a bit deeper in those now (rattler, slings and tearblaster).

The Slings can get downright broken with enough materials. Sticky bombs make short work of pretty much anything bar the Frost- and Fireclaws.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Hmm, that's an argument to steer away a bit from slings, then. I don't know, I enjoyed the bow, ropecaster and tripwire most in my first playthrough. Reminds me that I also didn't mess around much with bombs/traps. Also something to delve into more. I also found out I completely missed a certain Osseram village first time, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Hmm, that's an argument to steer away a bit from slings, then. I don't know, I enjoyed the bow, ropecaster and tripwire most in my first playthrough. Reminds me that I also didn't mess around much with bombs/traps. Also something to delve into more. I also found out I completely missed a certain Osseram village first time, lol.

I'm a bit suspect because my favorite way to play the game is using only hunter and war bows :D slings can be pretty cool, as long as you don't lean on them too heavily. For instance, going for a elemental status based build, the sling makes it much more viable. Main problem arises when you combo freeze status (huge damage multiplier) + sticky bombs (can stack a bunch of them to go off at once), that can dish ridiculous amounts of damage at once.

Same for the ropecaster, if you upgrade it fully, you can trivialize most combat against single enemies at pretty much any difficulty, because, with a few exceptions, the game doesn't really go out of its way to cap what you can do.

I love that Horizon makes the weapons all interesting and useful from the get go, but with certain combinations and some usage patterns, you can optimize the fun away.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Congratulations Horizon Era, you're the new community spotlight! While there isn't much going on with Horizon currently.
I sure do hope that we get some new details on the sequel soon!

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
that last part when you are unraveling the mystery and the back story, you just can't put the game down

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to go and beat the DLC.

I platted the base game quicker than I have any game and I haven't platted many games haha.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I'm really torn between I want the sequel to be a PS5 exclusive or not. Later on in the lifecycle of a console, not being shackled to the previous-gen console means better visuals and often better gameplay (frame rate, number of particles/enemies/NPCs, etc.). But if it's a launch title...those tend to look dated very quickly, as games come out months later where developers have gotten a better handle on the hardware. If it's cross-gen, it could be the crowning achievement of the PS4 while looking slightly better and running slightly smoother on the PS5.

The lack of any news on it, though, has convinced me it will definitely be a PS5 game, regardless of whether it's also on the PS4. My guess is the fact that they're developing it on PS5 dev kits is why they can't show anything until Sony officially announces the PS5.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm really torn between I want the sequel to be a PS5 exclusive or not. Later on in the lifecycle of a console, not being shackled to the previous-gen console means better visuals and often better gameplay (frame rate, number of particles/enemies/NPCs, etc.). But if it's a launch title...those tend to look dated very quickly, as games come out months later where developers have gotten a better handle on the hardware. If it's cross-gen, it could be the crowning achievement of the PS4 while looking slightly better and running slightly smoother on the PS5.

The lack of any news on it, though, has convinced me it will definitely be a PS5 game, regardless of whether it's also on the PS4. My guess is the fact that they're developing it on PS5 dev kits is why they can't show anything until Sony officially announces the PS5.
I honestly see it coming out a yr or two after PS5 releases. I think they'll want it to push hardware so I doubt it'll be on PS4.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Game of the generation for me. Only other things that come close are Uncharted 4 and God of War.
Everything about this game is beautiful.
The soundtrack is so pleasant, especially when doing homework.
I can't wait to see what they do for a sequel.
I really want them to take their time with it, so it will likely be a PS5 game, which I am totally fine with.
The story twist was not what I was expecting at all. Aloy is one of the best new characters this generation.
I wonder where and what they can do for a sequel?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the only game where I've daydreamed trying to adapt the story into some prestige television series. It still gives me chills when I see people on twitch get into the story in the last 3rd and get totally wrapped up in it. The gameplay and graphics are the cherries on top.

Never thought a modern game would push its way into my number one but here it is.

that last part when you are unraveling the mystery and the back story, you just can't put the game down

You ain't lying.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUp9rNleBjHhxH4iRsasrgUp0Yle4Q52c
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUp9rNleBjHhYL8RdLODzgdcS_kO0FVk7

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I invited a friend to my house and he asked me to showcase my ps4 pro in a 4k tv, I put this game which I haven't played in a long time and I started from where I left it 6 months ago, which was the beggnining of the frozen wilds DLC, we were both shocked by how cool the snow was in the game.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I started playing Horizon last summer and absolutely adored it but stopped once school started
Once I finish/plat God of War and get the Arkham Knight platinum I swear I will get back to this special game

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I suppose this is the part where I chime in. Obviously my avatar is telling how I feel about the game; it's just incredible. It's got such an intriguing story, some interesting characters, great world-building and an amazing soundtrack. For a new IP, it truly is staggering.

ntAMUGp.gif

SoWpTuP.gif

6a7UxXT.gif

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
One of my favourite games this generation,I just love sooo much the setting and they can do wonders in the sequels I'm sure.

I'm so happy when we get to see unique created worlds instead of the same rehashing over and over

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Such a great debut for a new IP. I'm really, really curious to see what they do with the sequel when it comes to plot *and* when it comes to systems and world design.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a sequel on the PS4 just because it would be coming out all the sooner. The story and lore did a good job of leaving some mysteries and a lot of potential story hooks to build from, so there are a lot of ways they could go. The most obvious I guess is the Forbidden West that was mentioned a few times.

Stumbled across this beautiful fan art I thought was worth sharing too.

By fantasio
ppeichis79721.jpg

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
I'd love to see a sequel on the PS4 just because it would be coming out all the sooner. The story and lore did a good job of leaving some mysteries and a lot of potential story hooks to build from, so there are a lot of ways they could go. The most obvious I guess is the Forbidden West that was mentioned a few times.

By fantasio
ppeichis79721.jpg
That is so awesome, I had that exact same idea for how to do an interesting sort of homebase for Aloy, but no art skills to realize it. This is perfect.

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game was in my top 3 in 2017, and that was a stacked year.
I truly loved it, and it's one of the most visually stunning games ever.

I hope they take their sweet time and blow our minds with the next gen.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
One of the main designers posted a pile of dinosaur books he'd bought, so I'm guessing we'll be seeing a bunch of new dinos :D Hopefully we get something based on Ankylosaurus, Huayangosaurus and Triceratops.

That's cool, I'm glad they're doing research for inspiration. Nature is usually cooler than anything we think of.

I wonder if they're going to lean in on the Dino stuff more since everyone always talks about the robot dinosaurs the most, even though most of the robots are not based on dinosaurs.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I absolutely loved this game

By fantasio
ppeichis79721.jpg

The art instantly reminded me of Chrono Cross for some reason :P Good art!

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
That's some cool art. Reminds me of Rey's house made out of a AT-AT in one of those recent Star Wars movies.

There's so much cool stuff they can still do with this world and lore. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really need that Horizon sequel announcement for PS5. Maybe a launch title?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible game and one of my favorites of this gen. Still need to finish Frozen Wilds though.