• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I started this game last weekend. I love the beauty of the world, the setting, the introduction was great I was hooked but once I got into the open world I was... kind of bored?
I actually havent bothered to play it since then, since being distracted by Project Apex and Grim Fandango.

do the quality of the main quests improve?

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I started this game last weekend. I love the beauty of the world, the setting, the introduction was great I was hooked but once I got into the open world I was... kind of bored?
I actually havent bothered to play it since then, since being distracted by Project Apex and Grim Fandango.

No. Same experience here.
Loved the idea of it all in the first two to four hours but got super bored after that.

The game follows the same overdone open world formula. I dropped the game close to what I think were the last couple of missions.

If you enjoy the robot dinos, the combat and the world, keep going but don't expect something out of the ordinary gameplay wise.

tl/dr: keep playing Grim Fandango

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Main quests are great, the story gets really interesting. You go to some more unique looking biomes later on that I personally liked a lot better than the initial region you start out in. I'd keep playing if I were you.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly find it kind of hilarious that whenever I think about this game my mind almost always drifts to how much I hate Ted Faro. I don't know if I would call him a good character, but damn is it satisfying to hate him.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I honestly find it kind of hilarious that whenever I think about this game my mind almost always drifts to how much I hate Ted Faro. I don't know if I would call him a good character, but damn is it satisfying to hate him.

The hate for Faro gets that much more intense when you realize that he's basically Musk and Zuckerberg, two eminently punchable assholes, rolled into a single person.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Still surprised at how Guerrilla went from Killzone to this and absolutely crushed it on their first attempt. Top notch visuals, compelling story-telling, and fun RPG gameplay all in one.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Still surprised at how Guerrilla went from Killzone to this and absolutely crushed it on their first attempt. Top notch visuals, compelling story-telling, and fun RPG gameplay all in one.

I think the only surprising thing is, that they managed to create such a good lead character and a moving story, and instill it with a somber atmosphere. Killzone series has always had an interesting lore outside of the games, laid out on their website, but this was the first time they managed to incorporate it into the game. That's because they hired talent for it. Killzone series has also always had good and challenging combat, albeit sometimes including rather annoying sections like in Shadow Fall, so that didn't come as a surprise. In fact, it explains why Horizon has better and more varied combat mechanics than most open world games.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Yes, but if you're bored already, than the game probably isn't for you.

I had a blast with the game. When I played for 3 or 4 hours, it felt like 15 minutes. I loved exploring and the random battles with the robots.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this a few days ago, and one thing that stood out was how many good, tantalizing hints there were for sequels:
1. What happened to shitlord Ted Faro
2. What happened to all the other vaults
3. What happened to the other AIs
4. What really happened to the colony ship
5. What's going on in the rest of the planet
6. What the fuck is Sylens going to do

I started this game with the usual ultra low expectations for the story, but by the end I was really into it. I want answers to these questions!

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Considering you have zero interaction with him, Guerilla have done a fantastic job in developing such a loathsome villian.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but if you're bored already, than the game probably isn't for you.

I had a blast with the game. When I played for 3 or 4 hours, it felt like 15 minutes. I loved exploring and the random battles with the robots.

The thing about the combat for me is it just seems so easy, they introduce the stealth mechanics during the introduction which I thought was really cool. However most of the enemys I've encountered up to this point seemed to fall in 1-3 hits/bow shots to the face.

I think I'm on the second hardest difficulty, maybe I need to ramp it up,
or maybe I've just yet to come across any of the challenging dinos yet?

I did climb one of the tall long necked dinos which I thought was super awesome.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The thing about the combat for me is it just seems so easy, they introduce the stealth mechanics during the introduction which I thought was really cool. However most of the enemys I've encountered up to this point seemed to fall in 1-3 hits/bow shots to the face.

I did climb one of the tall long necked dinos which I thought was super awesome.

Yeah played at Very Hard, which is the sweet spot if you like a challenge. More challenging robots will come, and also the hunting grounds.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

If everything you killed was dead with 1 to 3 hits, you probably mostly killed Striders, Broadheads, Grazers and Watchers. None of the actually cool machines. Also, the game is much more enjoyable if you don't abuse stealth.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I think HZD really shines at the hardest difficulty. If you're comfortable with the combat I'd always recommend turning it all the way up. You can always lower it if things get frustrating and not fun. Ultra Hard adds some interesting challenges besides just damage modification: Enemies can see and hear you from farther away, machines are more aggressive and will attack simultaneously, elemental and stagger effects on enemies is significantly reduced. It also sharply increases merchant and crafting costs though, so that might not be to everyone's liking.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
On the other hand, for those of us who are far more interested in the world, characters, and story - I'm delighted that the game offers a stealth mechanic that allows me to successfully play it throughg.

Until I get to the cauldrons, that is, when...oh, shit, I'm really going to have to fight these things.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I keep wanting to write a long diatribe on how this game relates to
climate change

I haven't seen a piece of media cover climate change and it's immediate aftermath in such an interesting way. Instead of just reveling in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, HZD tells a story of how humans failed to control climate change then failed to adapt properly once it got out of control.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are certain combat tactics that will absolutely crush the regular enemies. When you get to corrupted and the DLC robots it's a bit of a different story. But yeah you can freeze/tear + 3 arrows spam and it does a fuckton of damage.

If you just reached your first tallneck, you're probably relatively early on in the story. I'll be interested to see how you feel after facing some of the Rockbreakers (I feel like the hardest non-DLC regular mob in the game).

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I played on normal and I found the difficulty curve to ramp up in spikes rather than gradual. Honestly there were points where even post endgame I avoided certain Dino's all together because they could wreck your shit

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
There are certain combat tactics that will absolutely crush the regular enemies. When you get to corrupted and the DLC robots it's a bit of a different story. But yeah you can freeze/tear + 3 arrows spam and it does a fuckton of damage.

If you just reached your first tallneck, you're probably relatively early on in the story. I'll be interested to see how you feel after facing some of the Rockbreakers (I feel like the hardest non-DLC regular mob in the game).

Tearing arrows are my jam. Super satisfying when they hit and the effect of all that armor falling off. Plus to my logical brain (mime anyway) it makes sense to rip off all the armor first then go in for the kill. Long distance tear shots with a long bow and then close in for the kill with flaming arrows when they have no such resistance

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Just finished this a few days ago, and one thing that stood out was how many good, tantalizing hints there were for sequels:

I started this game with the usual ultra low expectations for the story, but by the end I was really into it. I want answers to these questions!
Man sequel is gonna go places and we are gonna ride through the end but we still gonna have more questions lol

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ive never played this game
i just wanted to say the thread title is super cute and made me smile :)

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
This thread popping back up inspired me to go back and replay The Frozen Wilds. This game is still so incredible. For my money, this is still the best (and best-looking) PS4 exclusive.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I loved God of War and Uncharted 4 this remains my favorite exclusive this generation. Here's hoping for a PS5 launch window for the sequel.

Nov 4, 2017

I think you hit the nail in the head, friend. There are heaps of threads there to spawn sequels, prequels and sidequels, but the main story itself is well contained and great.

I also loved the DLC story, and the idea of a human and an AI having a friendship. The idea of the AI being conflicted about wanting to be honest while also wanting to shield the human from potentially harmful information was touching. Anybody who enjoyed the DLC story should read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
Anyway, HZD was my GotY for 2017 and I'm glad to see it getting love 2 years later. The game still one of the best in terms of presentation, controls, combat or story IMO.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
I would really, reallly like if the sequel had Aloy go to the "Forbidden West" that's mentioned in the text documents (found in blazon arch settlement iirc). The way it's described sounds eerie and very otherworldly so I'm super interested to see what happened outside of north america when all the stuff went down.

A weird idea I did have ; I think it would be kind of cool if for a potential villain the sequel had
Gaia turn out to have made more than one Aloy as a precaution if the birthing failed or she had died (or in error if you like ;) and the others are very different personalities.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
I would really, reallly like if the sequel had Aloy go to the "Forbidden West" that's mentioned in the text documents (found in blazon arch settlement iirc). The way it's described sounds eerie and very otherworldly so I'm super interested to see what happened outside of north america when all the stuff went down.

A weird idea I did have ; I think it would be kind of cool if for a potential villain the sequel had
Gaia turn out to have made more than one Aloy as a precaution if the birthing failed or she had died (or in error if you like ;) and the others are very different personalities.

That's an awesome idea.
I always thought GAIA made a huge gamble creating that one Aloy. Imagine if she was accepted by the Nora tribe coming out of the cradle, If she never fell down that hole and found that focus, or if she wasn't trained to become the ultimate badass. Whole world would have been fucked over... Again. It would also make a nice twist running into a clone during a mission lol

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
That's an awesome idea.
I always thought GAIA made a huge gamble creating that one Aloy. Imagine if she was accepted by the Nora tribe coming out of the cradle, If she never fell down that hole and found that focus, or if she wasn't trained to become the ultimate badass. Whole world would have been fucked over... Again. It would also make a nice twist running into a clone during a mission lol

It is a cool idea but

it was mentioned that Gaia didn't create the new humans from scratch, she raised them from fertilized cloned eggs, and each Alpha had one fertilized clone egg of themselves stored as part of a plan to raise their own clones. The plan was abandoned, but the egg was kept, which is why Gaia was able to raise Aloy.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
It is a cool idea but

it was mentioned that Gaia didn't create the new humans from scratch, she raised them from fertilized cloned eggs, and each Alpha had one fertilized clone egg of themselves stored as part of a plan to raise their own clones. The plan was abandoned, but the egg was kept, which is why Gaia was able to raise Aloy.
You could have
Gaia admit she experienced fear at the impending loss of Elisabet, and made a decision to store more than one to ensure she would never be alone :).

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
It is a cool idea but

I don't remember but did they say that those were the only eggs from the Alphas? There are ELEUTHIA cradles all over the world and the Alphas were killed in the GAIA Prime location. Story shows that GAIA sent the orders to one of cradles that's in the Nora site to start the gestation of Aloy. Alpha eggs could have been mixed in with some of those cradles all over. Which tells me Aloy could have been made in multiple facilities.
I think chaosaeon theory could still work.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Regarding stuff for a sequel, I'm replaying the game and stumbled upon a datapad I didnt find my first play through, where someone mentions going for a job at a lunar mining facility. Another hint, besides that spaceship extensively mentioned.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If cultivated properly Horizon could easily become the next Fallout in terms of status in the gaming world

EDIT:

Would you guys be averse to a Sawtooth pet in Horizon 2, maybe it could have it's own skill tree and you could find parts from other robots to upgrade it?
It would evolve into a Ravager at level 42 and then you could fight the Elite 4 AI with it?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
VVIKD1P.gif

SpectR0nn

Jan 6, 2018
After I platinumed this wonderful game like two (?) years ago, I now finally got around to and finished Frozen Wilds as well. I must say, it's a great addition to the main game. First of all, it says a lot about how good the controls and overall mechanical design is, when I got back into the game and picked up playing like I never left in like five minutes time. Second of all, games like God of War and RDR2 almost made me forget what a gorgeous game Horizon still is. It was especially cool to go back to the game now that I have a 4K HDR tv with a PS4 Pro. It gives the entire game a fresh coat of paint. The final area in the game especially is a true HDR showpiece.

I like all the additions in the DLC. The new weapons add a nice new flavor to your combat options and all of them feel like viable options. The new enemy types are really imposing and pose a great challenge on higher difficulties. It's also nice how they managed to reinvigorate some of the existing machines. All the side activities are good new challenges and most of them change things up a bit compared to the main game. For example, I really liked the platforming challenge you had to go through to fetch one of the collectibles at the top of a mountain.

Great story as well, with some cool endearing characters. I like the focus on the Banuk and their culture, as that wasn't really explored much in the main game. It gives you an interesting new perspective on the overall lore and history of the world. Another thing which surprised me is how they managed to make the entire area feel quite diverse with always something visually interesting right around the corner, despite it being mostly snow. All the side stories were cool and interesting as well. Possibly better than in the main game. I particulary liked the cute and heartbreaking little backstory at one of the Old World locations (wont spoil which one).

One of the only slight gripes I had was how overpowered the secret armor from the main game still is. They certainly introduced some elements to lessen it's utility, but that didn't amount to much when most of those elements could be overcome fairly easily. This meant that for like 90% of the DLC I never felt the need to change to one of the new outfits the game introduces.

Last edited:

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
If cultivated properly Horizon could easily become the next Fallout in terms of status in the gaming world

EDIT:

Would you guys be averse to a Sawtooth pet in Horizon 2, maybe it could have it's own skill tree and you could find parts from other robots to upgrade it?
It would evolve into a Ravager at level 42 and then you could fight the Elite 4 AI with it?
A Sawtooth or a Ravager I think would be too large and overpowered, but I love the idea of a permanent robot companion for support. Something small like a Watcher or maybe something Aloy made herself.

After I platinumed this wonderful game like two (?) years ago, I now finally got around to and finished Frozen Wilds as well. I must say, it's a great addition to the main game. First of all, it says a lot about how good the controls and overall mechanical design is, when I got back into the game and picked up playing like I never left in like five minutes time. Second of all, games like God of War and RDR2 almost made me forget what a gorgeous game Horizon still is. It was especially cool to go back to the game now that I have a 4K HDR tv with a PS4 Pro. It gives the entire game a fresh coat of paint. The final area in the game especially is a true HDR showpiece.

I like all the additions in the DLC. The new weapons add a nice new flavor to your combat options and all of them feel like viable options. The new enemy types are really imposing and pose a great challenge on higher difficulties. It's also nice how they managed to reinvigorate some of the existing machines. All the side activities are good new challenges and most of them change things up a bit compared to the main game. For example, I really liked the platforming challenge you had to go through to fetch one of the collectibles at the top of a mountain.

Great story as well, with some cool endearing characters. I like the focus on the Banuk and their culture, as that wasn't really explored much in the main game. It gives you an interesting new perspective on the overall lore and history of the world. Another thing which surprised me is how they managed to make the entire area feel quite diverse with always something visually interesting right around the corner, despite it being mostly snow. All the side stories were cool and interesting as well. Possibly better than in the main game. I particulary liked the cute and heartbreaking little backstory at one of the Old World locations (wont spoil which one).

One of the only slight gripes I had was how overpowered the secret armor from the main game still is. They certainly introduced some elements to lessen it's utility, but that didn't amount to much when most of those elements could be overcome fairly easily. This meant that for like 90% of the DLC I never felt the need to change to one of the new outfits the game introduces.
I wonder what they'll do with the about the shield-weaver armor in the sequel. Maybe they could just say it's batteries died and it no longer works lol.

SpectR0nn

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah I bet that Aloy will just get Metroid'ed at the start of Horizon 2 or something.

Man, just thinking about the potential of the second game gets me all excited now. There's so many avenues they could still explore in terms of world building, narrative and gameplay mechanics, it's awesome! Wonder if they'll show it at the reveal of the PS5.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I loved this game so much but lost interest prob halfway through because Zelda,

That's the problem. I'd love to go back and jam it again, but I would rather just play Zelda, or red dead.

Maybe someday.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing more terrifying to fight than a Fireclaw is TWO Fireclaws. Those fuckers are so fast and relentless.

Dec 6, 2017
I loved this game so much but lost interest prob halfway through because Zelda,

That's the problem. I'd love to go back and jam it again, but I would rather just play Zelda, or red dead.

Maybe someday.
Funny b/c HZD ruined my first play through of BotW. I thought the game seriously lacked everything compared to HZD. The second play through of BotW a year later and I loved the game the way I thought I would.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
This was the first game I truly said, I want to platinum this. I still will go back to it and do it now that I finished kh3.

The story had me at the edge of my seat the entire playthrough. The world building was fantastic. I can't wait to see what happens when Aloy travels west.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder what stopping GG from launching a sequel on PS4? Their tech is strong, they can experiment with gameplay ideas and PS4 + pro have such a large base now.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I won't be surprised if the sequel is cross gen. There's a lot of money to be made with the PS4 base.
Yeah, they'll be throwing away money if it's PS5-only. Unless it doesn't release until the PS5's been out for a year or more. I'm not sure how tied they are to Sony, but unless they're genuinely first-party Sony would have to pay them a major wad of cash to make it worthwhile to be a PS5 exclusive.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Funny b/c HZD ruined my first play through of BotW. I thought the game seriously lacked everything compared to HZD. The second play through of BotW a year later and I loved the game the way I thought I would.

BoTW was one of the extremely few times I felt that massive pull of magic and escapism from a agame again. Almost indescribable.

I think it was just how in control I felt of how I wanted to play the game. It was my story.

With Horizon I was all about that super high def hdr. The bow gameplay, and the enemy's really did it for me as well. If I could finish the game I would probably be satisfied, so I will prob just try to mainline it hard when I get some time. It was such a huge new and wonderful IP that my wife seemed to enjoy playing me a lot as well. it did not get any favours by releasing with one of Nintendo's best games they have achieved IMO, but I can see this series getting a lot of sequels if they can find an audience for it with the right gameplay loop and that impressive tech they use to create the world.

Dec 6, 2017
BoTW was one of the extremely few times I felt that massive pull of magic and escapism from a agame again. Almost indescribable.

I think it was just how in control I felt of how I wanted to play the game. It was my story.

With Horizon I was all about that super high def hdr. The bow gameplay, and the enemy's really did it for me as well. If I could finish the game I would probably be satisfied, so I will prob just try to mainline it hard when I get some time. It was such a huge new and wonderful IP that my wife seemed to enjoy playing me a lot as well. it did not get any favours by releasing with one of Nintendo's best games they have achieved IMO, but I can see this series getting a lot of sequels if they can find an audience for it with the right gameplay loop and that impressive tech they use to create the world.
Yeah, I mean the game got pretty universal praise, but it just came out the year that a new Zelda came out. Is what it is. Can't wait for the next one. Instant-preorder/buy for me.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, I mean the game got pretty universal praise, but it just came out the year that a new Zelda came out. Is what it is. Can't wait for the next one. Instant-preorder/buy for me.

Yeah I was a killzone 2 guy as well, so I'm all over there games I suppose. They have a way of pushing hardware and gameplay that just smacks you upside the head lol