• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently gave this game another try, it just didnt click with me the first time. But I recently booted back up and got hooked. The only real complaint I have now is the uneven acting. There are some scene they just nail it. Others make me want to shut it off. So far it's just any scene that involves the dude who was left to guard the gate's mom. YIKES

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
This game is one of my all time favorites, I can even say my favorite open world game thus far. I like it even better than other open world games which got better critical Reception.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently gave this game another try, it just didnt click with me the first time. But I recently booted back up and got hooked. The only real complaint I have now is the uneven acting. There are some scene they just nail it. Others make me want to shut it off. So far it's just any scene that involves the dude who was left to guard the gate's mom. YIKES

Sona? That questline isn't very long.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Out of these 3 games which order should I play them in?

God of War
Horizon
Uncharted Lost Legacy

I want to play Horizon first but still undecided

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
You can finish Uncharted in six hours, so do that first. Then I'd go Horizon, simply because I have't finished GoW and thus can't really recommend it, but I've beaten horizon twice and loved it.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018

God of War
Horizon
Uncharted Lost Legacy

As a huge fan of the old GoW games and hater of the new direction, after playing it I absolutely loved the new God of War and it's wide - linear approach to it's world. It really ruined open - worlds for me which now feel bloated and meaningless, and Horizon makes a strong case since it's approach to sandbox design is very reminiscent of Ubisoft.
Uncharted LL is the shortest so get that out of the way first. It's a fun romp.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
As a huge fan of the old GoW games and hater of the new direction, after playing it I absolutely loved the new God of War and it's wide - linear approach to it's world. It really ruined open - worlds for me which now feel bloated and meaningless, and Horizon makes a strong case since it's approach to sandbox design is very reminiscent of Ubisoft.
Uncharted LL is the shortest so get that out of the way first. It's a fun romp.

So Uncharted, Horizon, God of War in that order?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Wanted to share this, because HZD holds a special place in my heart. I've made timelapse videos, a combat montage, and this video in particular takes a look at the various people in the game. Often you hear "lifeless" or "people look fake" as an attempt to discredit the populous, well voiced acted, and interesting characters littered throughout the world. The Frozen Wilds did a good job at giving dialog scenes more life, but that doesn't mean the game is a slouch in terms of characters!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So Uncharted, Horizon, God of War in that order?
I'd agree with that. Uncharted is shorter, so once you're done with it you can tackle Horizon, which will last you a good while. GoW is also pretty lengthy but I'd save it for last simply because, well, Horizon is better :D

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I'd go based on length, putting the shortest in between the two longer ones to break things up. I tend to take twice as long as most, but I think most people would find Lost Legacy the shortest and Horizon the longest. Looking at my last saves, I have:

Lost Legacy - 8 hrs
God of War - estimated 20-30 hours
Horizon - 77 hrs, 118 hrs once I finished Frozen Wilds

I'm stunned to find it only took me 8 hours to get through Lost Legacy; I wonder if there's some kind of error there. I got pretty obsessive about finding all the collectibles, and I'm happiest taking a long time trying to clear out an area completely by stealth.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017

That's good to hear. I'll be sure to pick up the Complete Edition.

I'd go based on length, putting the shortest in between the two longer ones to break things up. I tend to take twice as long as most, but I think most people would find Lost Legacy the shortest and Horizon the longest. Looking at my last saves, I have:

Lost Legacy - 8 hrs
God of War - estimated 20-30 hours
Horizon - 77 hrs, 118 hrs once I finished Frozen Wilds

I'm stunned to find it only took me 8 hours to get through Lost Legacy; I wonder if there's some kind of error there. I got pretty obsessive about finding all the collectibles, and I'm happiest taking a long time trying to clear out an area completely by stealth.

I figured it would take me 15hrs to fully finish Uncharted LL. But I thought it only took roughly 40+hrs to run through Horizon

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Still my favorite Sony game this generation. God of War, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Astro Bot...
When Horizon lead to heart-tugs within the first twenty minutes (discovering the headpiece) and shortly moved on to the best training montage / transition-to-adulthood I've seen in a game... The whole thing was an amazing adventure, story & arc with superb combat & tech arriving mid-gen and not late.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game but the new king of Meridian seems to good to be true.
He just seems so perfect and without any ulterior motives which I found strange.

It actually made me think of the new Ethiopian Prime Minister who was inaugurated shortly before I played this. That guy has a similar story.

He was part of a brutal and repressive regime. He became leader. Now everything will be solved by love and hugs. The difference is that guy has a dark side and ulterior motives that he doesn't show the media but is apparent to those paying attention. He was also a prominent member of the previous regime and has yet to answer for his crimes there.

I want to learn more about Avad's role in his father's crimes and I want to see more of his dark side in the next game.

The closest we got was that awkward scene in which he courted Aloy immediately after his previous girlfriend's death.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I love HZD. The sequel is my most anticipated next gen-game.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I played this game a year or so ago but I feel myself double dipping into the complete edition now that I have a PS4 Pro. I was floored with the base model, I can't wait to see what it looks like on the Pro.

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
Still need to play that dlc but sometimes I hate being away from a game so long and needing to learn the mechanics and controls again.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Still need to play that dlc but sometimes I hate being away from a game so long and needing to learn the mechanics and controls again.

That was me, last year. I wanted to show a friend the endgame (he had seen most of the rest) and I was just rusty as fuck. Played it on easy just to breeze thru it so he could see how the story progressed. Restarted with a fresh start for the DLC and after an hour or so, you'll be back at your old level. It helps to not just drop in the middle of the bigger machines and build it up a little :)

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, I'm not heading north till I'm wrecking shit like usual :)

Horizon Zero Dawn is the only sandbox games this gen besides The Witcher 3 I can just completely fall back into. I've went thru W3 pretty much completely twice and HZD now for the second time, and it has me hooked completely again. I was planning on diving into Resident Evil 2, Ace Combat 7, Metro Exodus.. But they have to wait :)

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I still need to play the DLC but my backlog is to big.
Same here. I'm making good progress on the backlog. If I get trough it all before a price drop I'll buy the dlc for the $10 but I'm being cheeky and hoping it goes on sale before I get around to it.

God of War
Horizon
Uncharted Lost Legacy

Really tough question. 3 totally different games.

I'd go lost Legacy because it's short, followed by horizon and finally the King of the gen GOW. Enjoy!

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Same here. I'm making good progress on the backlog. If I get trough it all before a price drop I'll buy the dlc for the $10 but I'm being cheeky and hoping it goes on sale before I get around to it.

Really tough question. 3 totally different games.

I'd go lost Legacy because it's short, followed by horizon and finally the King of the gen GOW. Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
That was me, last year. I wanted to show a friend the endgame (he had seen most of the rest) and I was just rusty as fuck. Played it on easy just to breeze thru it so he could see how the story progressed. Restarted with a fresh start for the DLC and after an hour or so, you'll be back at your old level. It helps to not just drop in the middle of the bigger machines and build it up a little :)
I know I feel like I always have this feeling and then once I play I'm amazed at the muscle memory.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was really enjoying this game until I went to Cauldron Zeta and have to fight a Thunderjaw in that tiny space, who thought that was a good idea?

I am playing the game on Hard because I want to use the stealth, traps, environment etc to overcome tough situations.

What makes this game good is not fighting a fucking Thunderjaw in a tiny arena.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
What makes this game good is not fighting a fucking Thunderjaw in a tiny arena.

Variety is the spice of life! :D

But seriously, Sharpshot Bow with Tearblast Arrows (to get rid of the Launchers), Ropecaster and Blast Sling with Sticky Bombs does short work of that Thunderjaw. Remove the Launchers. Never stop circling the arena. Tie it down and blast it to hell. Rinse and repeat.

The Cauldrons kinda have to be approached with a "git gud" mentality, they're more like challenges than normal gameplay.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I never really had a hard time with Thunderjaw fights, even the arena one with some preparation should be fine. I didn't use slings, just traps, ropecaster and elemental arrows.

Rockbreakers, however.. They perpetually fuck my shit up.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Whelp. We had a good run. Gaia, I leave this in your hands.

53142882_1225727437582101_6083839969560887296_n.jpg

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Restarted this today because my first attempt was too soon after another open world game. Feels a bit better. The combat is cool but man, there are so many branching dialogues and I always feel obligated to expand the entire dialogue tree.

I am going to give it a fair shake this time. On the way to Meridian.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
So in a thread about Cyberpunk 2077 there was a link to Territory Studios who I noticed did some early concept work for Horizon Zero Dawn. There's some really interesting stuff there I've never seen before.

SPOILERS WARNING There are some pretty big story spoilers in the images on their site.
Territory Studios

It looks like the UI and Focus interface are much more simplified than the initial concepts.
TerritoryStudio_Games_Horizon_L_001.jpg

TerritoryStudio_Games_Horizon_L_004.jpg

TerritoryStudio_Games_Horizon_L_0055.jpg

I'm not sure if that's what this is but I've often wondered if they ever planned to have all the menus, map, and UI displayed with the Focus rather than traditional 2D menus.

It appears the designs for Gaia and the other subordinate functions were their main contribution to the final look of the game. Some great designs there.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
So...weird bug. I did the ultimate armor quest, got the keys, unlocked the armor—even wore it for a quest or two—and now it's gone. My quest log says the quest is complete and the armor is gone from the armory, so my question is...where the fuck is it? I spent way too much time trying to find it (and w/o guides) for it to be deleted because of a bug. Any tips?

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
So...weird bug. I did the ultimate armor quest, got the keys, unlocked the armor—even wore it for a quest or two—and now it's gone. My quest log says the quest is complete and the armor is gone from the armory, so my question is...where the fuck is it? I spent way too much time trying to find it (and w/o guides) for it to be deleted because of a bug. Any tips?
I think they give it to you in a box you have to open? I remember something like that.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
Finished it yesterday for the first time. Thought it was... okay?

Aloy was cool, but nearly every other character not Lance Reddick has really bad acting. And there is something really off on the sound design in cut scenes.

Story Spoilers
The story was my biggest disappointment. I looooooved the lore of the fall of human society, learning about the Faro plague, Elizabet's plan to terraform the Earth, and the creation of GAIA and her subsystems. But then... it was all for nothing? All those recordings building up the effort and importance of Apollo's database and how everything else was failproof and created with the best minds available and the shit was ultimately sabotaged by Faro(worst human ever) before the story even started. You don't even get some sort of a conversation with GAIA at the end, it's just blue balls 24/7.
And not ONCE did I get to ride a robo T-Rex. Lame.