• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
Sweet. I don't think I'll do the Frozen Wilds DLC until I'm there then.

Level 30 now and exploring the desert and jungles before heading to Meridian. Ran into some Thunderjaws and ran away like a little baby. I did finish another Cauldron though which was badass.

The lore dump and difficulty of forzen wilds is fitting for doing it after main game. It explains things.

That desert place, when I saw the tallneck and a stormbird far far away, that was special moment.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Made it to Meridian at Level 35. Finally back into the main story. Probably going to go and do the hunting grounds and some hunting lodge missions before I do too much more story.

I've also seen/killed all machines except one (looks like a large corrupter or something by its blurry silhouette in the menu) and ofcourse excluding the Frozen Wilds machines. So making good progress there.

Sold some bundles of the collectibles I gathered and also got some more side quests in Meridian. Ready to keep on exploring this gorgeous game. I've taken a good 100+ photo mode snaps too. I arrived in Meridian at night so I'm looking forward to seeing it in the day.

I climbed a mountain for a vantage, ended up fighting a stormbird and then couldn't progress up the ruin. I think it's end game or story content so couldn't go any further. I think the stormbirds and thunderjaws are pinnacles of this game as they really let you use all your skills; even if my skills are just freezing them and hailing them with arrows in precise spots.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Yep; definitely one of the more interesting stories I've seen in a video game. Hopefully they can sustain that through a sequel.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Picked this back up recently and I'm working towards the end game. Should I encorporate the frozen wilds into my game before or after I finish the final mission?

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
Picked this back up recently and I'm working towards the end game. Should I encorporate the frozen wilds into my game before or after I finish the final mission?
Just do it after the final mission, it is harder. Even time line wise doesn't fit, still a lot lore will be showed if you very deep into the main story

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Nearly 130hrs of playtime later and I've finally beaten the game. What an amazing ride. Think this is my favorite video game story. Crazy. Amazing visuals, gameplay, music/audio, and characters. Was sold on the premise since the early leaks and E3 demo, and it definitely delivered in spades. I'm glad this bet paid off for the folks at Guerilla. It's definitely one of my favorite games ever now.

Also, that post credits scene. Whew. I'm very much looking forward to the sequel.

Oct 30, 2017
I just bought the complete edition. Just met Varl after the "demon" attack on Mother's Heart(?), just after you do the Proving trials. Loving it so far, but a little overwhelmed. Any advice before I venture out into the main world?

Also, two to three hits equaling death on hard difficulty is intense.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Yes, I'm late to the party... over a year late. I have finally beaten Horizon Zero Dawn and it's DLC - The Frozen Wilds.
I picked up the Complete Edition a little over a week ago and put 8-12 hours into the game every day -- I just got the Platinum Trophy today too.
Not only was it a joy to play from all facets of gameplay but the story was super surprising and not what I expected at all. The environments are varied, gorgeous and intriguing - especially the Old World/Machine Areas. I recently watched the NoClip Documentary as well and the fact that the story was very different originally and then someone came in and really fleshed it out is so awesome. What they managed to do is tell a story that's engaging to a point. I originally wasn't very into it, I did 90% of the side content and then got back to the main story while I was Level 40. I then really grew to love it, especially characters like Erand and Sylens. There's also a super cool side quest/errand in The Frozen Wilds which involves draining a Dam and you meet this very charismatic character who was a lot of fun.

ruhcbke.jpg

Photo mode is a feature that I adore. I put about 8 hours into this game last year but then BOTW came and hit me over the head and I never returned. I remember putting a good 1-2 hours of those original 8 hours into photo mode and this time was no different. I was stopping constantly to take a cool shot and tinker in photo mode. I've uploaded my favourite ~60 or so photos I took during my full playthrough of the game, from the very beginning to the very end: https://imgur.com/a/PBxO0EW
Even looking back through these now makes me feel nostalgic for a game I've just finished. I want a sequel already!

stsqzLf.jpg

I remember when BOTW came out and how people were saying no Open World game can live up to this after we've played it. Sure, would it have been cool to be able to climb up everything in Horizon? Yeah but it was also cool not to. I feel like Horizon's combat and gameplay loop is second to none, it so fantastic to play. Aiming arrows into vital spots of machines, slinging bombs to topple them, causing them to freeze in place and silently sneaking up on them. The game is so fun to play. It also has a worth while story, fantastic acting and writing to tie it all together. I wish I could rewind time to last week and just start again with no memory because the game is so amazing to experience.

I doubt we'll see any news about a follow up this E3, but hopefully next year we get a tease because I need to know what Aloy gets up to next.

Again if you want to check out my better/choice photo mode screenshots then here is the full album: https://imgur.com/a/PBxO0EW

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally started this game 2 days ago, and I'm an hour in.

I have an issue, and hopefully someone can help. I've never run into this before with any other game, but for some reason, this game is hurting my eyes. I don't know what it is, and I can't pinpoint why either. It just irritates my eyes to look at it and I can't focus on the details. I'm playing this on the PS4 Pro and I've enabled it to favor resolution. Does anyone know if there are issues of blur or something else with this game?

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
Finally started this game 2 days ago, and I'm an hour in.

I have an issue, and hopefully someone can help. I've never run into this before with any other game, but for some reason, this game is hurting my eyes. I don't know what it is, and I can't pinpoint why either. It just irritates my eyes to look at it and I can't focus on the details. I'm playing this on the PS4 Pro and I've enabled it to favor resolution. Does anyone know if there are issues of blur or something else with this game?
Sorry... have no idea

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Started a few days ago and just finished. Absolutely unreal game. Best game in years, easily. One of the best stories in games ever.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hi. I started this game a while back and fall off but plan on returning to it soon. I like what I played enough to purchase the DLC for it. Should I wait until finishing the game to purchase the DLC or should I buy it and play it as part of a normal playthrough?

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Hi. I started this game a while back and fall off but plan on returning to it soon. I like what I played enough to purchase the DLC for it. Should I wait until finishing the game to purchase the DLC or should I buy it and play it as part of a normal playthrough?
I played the DLC like two thirds into my first playthrough of the main storyline. It's, in my opinion, a big step up from the base game in terms of presentation. Quest design is also much improved, and it can be a big step up in difficulty at times. There are some minor character related things and dialogue options you get depending on if you've beaten the main game, or how far you've progressed in it.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't really matter when you play the expansion since it's not post-game content, but if I had to choose, I'd wait until I've finished my first playthrough. If you decide to jump into it earlier, though, make sure you revisit a certain character in the DLC area after completing the base game.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played the DLC like two thirds into my first playthrough of the main storyline. It's, in my opinion, a big step up from the base game in terms of presentation. Quest design is also much improved, and it can be a big step up in difficulty at times. There are some minor character related things and dialogue options you get depending on if you've beaten the main game, or how far you've progressed in it.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't really matter when you play the expansion since it's not post-game content, but if I had to choose, I'd wait until I've finished my first playthrough. If you decide to jump into it earlier, though, make sure you revisit a certain character in the DLC area after completing the base game.
Gotcha. Thank you.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked this up again and am TOTALLY lost. I am surprised there are only 7 pages for this game ...

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing this for the first time after being intrigued for so long- holy smokes it's great. Had to bump the difficulty up to Ultra Hard but man the combat is a bajillion times better this way. Night and day difference from the cakewalk that Very Hard felt presents, forcing me to use all of my tools and traps cause the silent way is simply not my cup of tea.

So yeah, everything about this game is a total winner for me (except the writing and characters) and I'm so happy to finally be playing it. Originally bought a PS4 for this and Bloodborne and both uh, fucking deliver the 10/10 glory.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Just reading above about the Young Adult fiction, haha. I'm finally about to start HZD, have some free time at last. How is the story actually? I'm a big scifi lover, so even if it's low tier scifi, I'm sure I'll really enjoy it. Just in the mood for something scifi-y.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Just reading above about the Young Adult fiction, haha. I'm finally about to start HZD, have some free time at last. How is the story actually? I'm a big scifi lover, so even if it's low tier scifi, I'm sure I'll really enjoy it. Just in the mood for something scifi-y.
I thought it was terrific and I've got a low tolerance for dumb sci-fi. The story and how the revelations are revealed over the course of the game is handled really well. I think you're in for a treat.

Sep 14, 2018

I was surprised I liked it so much, cause I wasn't feeling the game at all in the beginning, but by the time I beat it I was so into it, I went back to do all the open world nonsense to get the platinum, and had fun doing it, it's a really enjoyable game.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
There are two stories it tells: the story of Aloy, the character you play, and the backstory of how the world she's in came to be. The former is a tribal/feudal fantasy story, and the latter is straight science fiction. Both are good, but I found the backstory really compelling, with some great pull-the-rug-out-from-under-you twists. There's also some great character writing, generally delivered well; Nil the bloodthirsty bandit-hunter and Erend the mercenary were two of my favorites.

I actually just finished watching a playthrough on YouTube; I can't remember why I started watching, but I was surprised to find I got completely sucked back into the world and the story, and really enjoyed watching the player's reactions to the plot as it unfolded. I fast-forwarded through the pure mechanics, but it's a little shocking how much of the 40-something-hour Let's Play I wound up watching.

The narrative director for the game was John Gonzales, who was heavily involved in (possibly also narrative director for, I'm not sure) Fallout: New Vegas. I never played enough of New Vegas to actually get to the story, and I now suspect that was a mistake. But more than that, I really hope he's doing the unannounced-but-of-course-there-will-be-one sequel to Horizon, because I think he knocked it out of the park with the world, the story, and the characters.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
One of the best sci-fi stories I've ever had the pleasure of playing through.

Nov 30, 2017
There are two stories it tells: the story of Aloy, the character you play, and the backstory of how the world she's in came to be. The former is a tribal/feudal fantasy story, and the latter is straight science fiction. Both are good, but I found the backstory really compelling, with some great pull-the-rug-out-from-under-you twists. There's also some great character writing, generally delivered well; Nil the bloodthirsty bandit-hunter and Erend the mercenary were two of my favorites.

I actually just finished watching a playthrough on YouTube; I can't remember why I started watching, but I was surprised to find I got completely sucked back into the world and the story, and really enjoyed watching the player's reactions to the plot as it unfolded. I fast-forwarded through the pure mechanics, but it's a little shocking how much of the 40-something-hour Let's Play I wound up watching.

The narrative director for the game was John Gonzales, who was heavily involved in (possibly also narrative director for, I'm not sure) Fallout: New Vegas. I never played enough of New Vegas to actually get to the story, and I now suspect that was a mistake. But more than that, I really hope he's doing the unannounced-but-of-course-there-will-be-one sequel to Horizon, because I think he knocked it out of the park with the world, the story, and the characters.

I really hope GG is working on part II ATM. This game is in my top 5 for this gen. I can say I loved everything about it, especially the combat and the mix of enemies that could come at you.

Excellent writing and characters. The mix of tribal primitive setting and science fi blended well.

I really wasnt around ERA much when this OT was created but I'm shocked it only went 7 pages, given how frequently the game is referenced. I was a member just not around as I come and go for a while.

But yeah they really nailed all aspects of this game and I cant wait for the next one.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
I thought it was terrific and I've got a low tolerance for dumb sci-fi. The story and how the revelations are revealed over the course of the game is handled really well. I think you're in for a treat.

I was surprised I liked it so much, cause I wasn't feeling the game at all in the beginning, but by the time I beat it I was so into it, I went back to do all the open world nonsense to get the platinum, and had fun doing it, it's a really enjoyable game.

I think he knocked it out of the park with the world, the story, and the characters.

One of the best sci-fi stories I've ever had the pleasure of playing through.

Thanks for all the replies! Definitely getting me more excited to give it a shot. The premise is very intriguing so I'm glad it isn't considered wasted potential or falls apart at the end, which most game stories seem to have a problem with :/

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for all the replies! Definitely getting me more excited to give it a shot. The premise is very intriguing so I'm glad it isn't considered wasted potential or falls apart at the end, which most game stories seem to have a problem with :/
Yeah, it's something plenty of people expected to happen. I didn't expect it to be anything special, but I was constantly blown away and on the edge of my seat whenever I hit those big story beats. Hope you enjoy the game and its story and world!

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally love this game, the mechanics, combat, sound design, and visuals are so wonderful. Red Head Redemption indeed- this is a billion times more engaging than RDR for me. Cleared all the cauldrons, Tallnecks, and bandit camps, finishing up quests now and checking each corner of the world. Ultra Hard is the way to play! Characters still feel totally interchangeable to me and almost all of the dialog sounds generic, but I think the gameplay is absolutely sublime.

I'm going to follow you all's advice and check out Frozen Wilds after the main quest.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up at a massive discount (I paid $8 iirc) and only intended to play for a few hours, after which point I expected to get bored.

I'm now well past the "few hours" mark, and starting to enjoy the game quite a bit, even if it falls into a lot of the open-world pitfalls that really annoy me. There's too many flashing icons littered all over the place, but you can't really turn them off without missing essential materials.

I also think this game would be MUCH better if it didn't have human enemies at all, except for a few select antagonists who could lead the corrupted machines in some way.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I also think this game would be MUCH better if it didn't have human enemies at all, except for a few select antagonists who could lead the corrupted machines in some way.

Yeah, human combat isn't good at all, and even GG has said it themselves. In their post-mortem they've mentioned that, when people experienced human combat by itself, they found it fun enough, but when placed besides the machine combat, it fell apart really quickly.

They thought they could make human combat interesting through combat scenario design alone, but, in comparison to the complexity of the robot design (in that they have multiple parts to target, strengths and weaknesses to exploit, etc), it isn't compelling at all, specially since it's so easy to break that design.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
They thought they could make human combat interesting through combat scenario design alone, but, in comparison to the complexity of the robot design (in that they have multiple parts to target, strengths and weaknesses to exploit, etc), it isn't compelling at all, specially since it's so easy to break that design.
...and even if this wasn't the case, I think having only machine enemies would have worked much better from a world/lore perspective. I wouldn't feel bad about murdering tons of people in order to help one side quest giver.

This is a problem so pervasive in games we don't really think about it, but they actually could have resolved it here.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching my girlfriend play this game and boy, does it not seem like a good game for novice gamers.
Too many enemies prowling the open world. She's constantly getting attack by enemies as she tries to go to her next mission point.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I've been watching my girlfriend play this game and boy, does it not seem like a good game for novice gamers.
Too many enemies prowling the open world. She's constantly getting attack by enemies as she tries to go to her next mission point.

There's a story mode that makes the game considerably easier to go through, with fewer, less aggressive enemies and a massive boost to damage output for the player.

It also pays to be a bit stealthier, if you want to avoid combat. You can go around most stuff.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
There's a story mode that makes the game considerably easier to go through, with fewer, less aggressive enemies and massively boost damage output for the player.

Yeah, she's been playing on Easy. Maybe I should suggest she put it down to story mode. Just for me, the funnest parts of the game were the cool ways to fight the enemies (setting up traps, shooting off specific parts) but that seems to take a little too much skill for her at the moment. She seems to be having a fun time, at least!

Enpap-x

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 1, 2018
I haven't played such an awesome game since Mass Effect 1. Intriguing story, awesome combat (not ME1 lol), amazing world, jaw-dropping graphics.

I am just running around doing everything and having a blast. 10 hours in and only getting to the first Corrupted Zones and I honestly do not care how long it takes me. I am going to explore everything and use every dang weapon.

I am not figuring out the combat at an amazing pace, but thankfully I keep learning something new.

Playing this game on OGPS4 and completely astonished at the visuals. Rivals anything I have been playing on XboxX during the last 3 months including Forza Horizon.

GG totally outdid themselves with this game. Nothing about Killzone interests me as much as this game so it is awesome they have this on their record.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I love to see people still discovering HZD and having such a great time with it. Even though there are much more detailed open worlds with much more to do, there's just something about the setting, characters, and gameplay that make this a really special game to me. I've spent hundreds of hours in it, and a lot of that just wandering around.

While we wait for the inevitable sequel, this channel has been making super neat deep dive videos into the lore of the game. Great stuff, definitely deserves more recognition. Spoilers, of course, both for the base game and TFW.

Here's another deep-dive contrasting the story with William Gibson's 'Pattern Recognition':

Interesting stuff. I've been slowly making my way through the videos and while there's not any new info if you've explored every inch of the game, they're well made and very enjoyable.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I had the normal version, and purchased the complete one in black Friday, both NA PSN, but it's download as a new one.., does that mean i will have to start the game again? >.< I remember something like that happened with the witcher 3.
I just want to play the expansion, is it possible to do that without a save?

edit: just finished download and it takes the saves, yay!

Last edited:

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Just finished the main game along with the platinum:

Spoilerssss.

Wow, what did i just play? One of the best videogames ever. I loved every moment of this game, the world map was a joy to traverse, the encounters with the machines were fun (especially thunderjaw), the side missions were enjoyable, the graphics are awesome, the lore great, and the story was touching at the end (the encounter between Aloy and elizabeth was a moment for the ages).

And fuck Faro, fuck him 2 times, the bastard scewed everyone twice.
The way the story was presented through voice recordings and videos was a nice touch and got you involved in the story more.

Guerilla created a masterpiece, Horizon is one of the greatest open world games ever.

Now to play Frozen Wilds.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017

Spoilerssss.

Wow, what did i just play? One of the best videogames ever. I loved every moment of this game, the world map was a joy to traverse, the encounters with the machines were fun (especially thunderjaw), the side missions were enjoyable, the graphics are awesome, the lore great, and the story was touching at the end (the encounter between Aloy and elizabeth was a moment for the ages).

The way the story was presented through voice recordings and videos was a nice touch and got you involved in the story more.

Guerilla created a masterpiece, Horizon is one of the greatest open world games ever.

Echoes my feelings almost exactly. You're going to love Frozen Wilds! I think I might play it again myself just so I can see some snow this year.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA

Spoilerssss.

I finished it last weekend and wholeheartedly agree with you. Still can't believe Guerrilla developed it. Was a great game.