Radec

Oct 26, 2017
38133520226_b28659b3bb_o.jpg

26412809899_1114e19ecf_o.jpg
At its heart is the new story, as Aloy follows rumours of a Daemon that's able to control and influence the machines, taking her to these frozen wastes and into contact with the Banuk tribe. All of this is set alongside the events of the main game, with The Cut opening up for you to visit and explore a little bit from relatively early on in the story, but with the difficulty and challenge that you'll face keeping you away until later in your adventure.

The snowy wastes look fantastic and the wilderness is filled with new wildlife from squirrels and badgers to owls and mountain goats. The large snow drifts in places make Aloy's movement look more laboured as she wades through them, deforming the snow around her feet. The way that the wind kicks up particles of snow looks great and it's bound to see players dipping into the game's fantastic photo mode time and again, and one cute little addition is getting Aloy to make angels in the snow.

As picturesque as the environments might be, they hold yet more terrible dangers to the humans trying to live in these harsh conditions. The Daemon has kicked the robotic beasts into a frenzy, making them even more dangerous through control tower machines that have sprouted all over The Cut. Robots within their aura will be stronger, they'll automatically be repaired, and if you venture too close while on a captured mount, that mount will be disabled. It's all part of increasing the challenge and making this area most appropriate for players in the mid to late game...
38133868896_db0dc24105_o.jpg

The Frozen Wilds is an estimated 15-hour chunk of extra material, set in a bowling ball of new territory in the far north of the main game's map. Its story runs concurrently with the main game, centering around the mystery of the so-called Daemon, a hidden force which is frenzying machines, setting up tentacular control towers that can repair and buff enemies, and making gorgeous blue smoke billow from the Death Mountain-like volcano at the center of this new area. It'll also offer a more focused look at the nomadic Banuk tribe, who we bumped into only briefly during the core game.

Guerrilla makes clear that there's a lot more to it than just the core story, however. The new area is typically gorgeous - aside from that volcano, it's a sun-dappled vista of mountains and valleys peppered with stranger sights, from the Banuk's rainbow-hued dye pools to a frozen, windswept tallneck. Sidequests will apparently offer more meaningful rewards than the core game, from the electricity-spewing new Stormslinger gun to the ability to make new modifications to Aloy's spear...
37479005634_2c16e8a107_o.jpg

26412809269_489a8d5380_o.jpg

MASTER MENACE

Oct 25, 2017
In A State Of Trance
Are we able to start the DLC if we already beat the game, but didn't enter NG+? I beat the game before that update came out, so was wondering if I have to start NG+ to even start up this DLC since it runs concurrently with the main story???

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
My GotY just got even GotYer. Can't wait to dive back into this amazing world.

Oichi

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I took the day off work for other reasons, but that leaves me a good 5 hour chunk of free time to get deep into this. Can't wait.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish TFW was a stand alone DLC that could be played and purchased on its own.

Horizon was one of my favorite experiences of the year, but I traded it in shortly after finishing it.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Previews look promising. 15 hours is a nice sized chuck of new gameplay. Guerilla did good.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamnit I just started Dragon's Dogma last week and am in that phase where I can't pry myself from it.
I guess I'll have to wait to finish that before starting this. I'm incapable of playing two mechanically similar (third person action) games at once.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Does it take place before or after the main story's conclusion? Cause honestly feels like the story was tight enough as it is that I can't imagine her having gone on this large journey like this and not be mentioned.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
Releases tomorrow and I am excited. :)

But have to play the main game Today. It is some time ago that I played it. Probably need some Training before The Frozen Woods.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Turned on my PS4 today and the download for Frozen Wilds started. Are we able to pre-load DLC? I didn't even realize that was a thing. Size was 8.4GB I believe.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Super excited! :D It approached faster than I thought now. Can't believe this is already out tomorrow. I actually did't even buy and preloaded it yet, lol. Gotta do this right now.

Oct 25, 2017
My pro is ready!

I know there is a 12 min gameplay chunk out there, but fuck that. Going into this having only seen the reveal trailer.

Played a little bit of Horizon a few days ago just to get my sea legs back.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already pre-ordered, soooo ready to jump back into the wonderful world of Horizon!

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll get this today while the discount is still available and then play it once I'm finished with AC:Origins.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the base game, hoping to get to this once I finish that off. Loving the look of the snowy areas

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we able to start the DLC if we already beat the game, but didn't enter NG+? I beat the game before that update came out, so was wondering if I have to start NG+ to even start up this DLC since it runs concurrently with the main story???

You don't have to play the DLC via NG+.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Guessing my download is done? version 1.40 downloaded last week and the new trophies are showing. Also pressed check for update and it says up to date. Must unlock later today as I dont see the map as being updated or any new quests showing. Cant wait to get back in.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game at launch earlier this year but it completely fell by the wayside due to Zelda taking over my life immediately after. I haven't really picked it back up since then, so I haven't finished the game. I liked what I played though, so I really ought to finish it off and play through the new expansion. However once again, the release schedule is jam packed with stuff.

So many great games this year! I think Horizon will have long legs from those that didn't jump in right away due to so many gaming options. This is clearly a labor of love.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT. Can't wait to dig into this but it might be a little while before I have a full day off. Horizon quickly became one of my favorite games ever.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
So excited for this. I loved Horizon and it's by far my favorite game experience of the year.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Lovely OT! This is out tomorrow!? Damn, I need to step up my game with AC:Origins. The 15 hours mentioned in the OT seems really great, loved the main game so this is a must!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yess! Can't wait!

Awesome OT as well. Slick.

On a side note, it's amusing to me that this entire DLC is a much smaller file size than my Gran Turismo Sport day one patch.....

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Great OT. Just recently got around to beating AND Platinuming Horizon Zero Dawn, probably my third favorite game this year. I preordered this expansion a while back, but I probably won't jump in for a few weeks -- got my Xbox One X and a few games there I'm gonna prioritize.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Just one more day to dive in again in this beautiful world! Great OT, OP.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
It was so hard to hold off replaying the game the last few months, so happy to jump back in.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish I had ponied up and bought a 4k tv and Pro just for this. I bet it looks amazing.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished up Wolfenstein 2, so this arrives at a perfect time! Hope it's good.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm so psyched for this. It'll be the first thing I jump on after I finish Assassin's Creed Origins... Which might be another week at this rate. :/

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I platinumed the main game but I have not seen anything in these trailers that tell me that I have to play this. If however the story would add more background of how this world came to be, then maybe we are talking...