• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how to describe when i encountered and killed my first stormbird (the big one), its was a breathtaking ride.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Anyway, this has probably been asked before, and the answer is probably no but just in case: Is it possible to replay only the final quest on a harder difficulty to unlock the face paints or do you need to beat the entire game?

Also, has anyone encountered the bug where the day/night cycle gets stuck and time controls become unavailable? This happened to me the other day. I had to replay The Looming Shadow (and the quest that comes after) in order to resolve the issue. According to reddit, this is a temporarily fix but GG is aware. Hopefully the next patch address the issue.

I don't believe that replaying Looming Shadow on UH will unlock the face paints, but you can try.

So I played after the patch and my day/night cycle wasn't fixed and I was rather bummed. I fucked around a bit and did some hunting grounds quests and other side-quests (like the one to upgrade the special weapons) and... at some point I noticed it was fixed! Weird. I have no idea what I did that triggered the daytime cycle to come back, or if the patch had anything to do with it, but I'm glad it did.

Certain missions/side quests trigger a cycle change and that may be the workaround for this issue till it's addressed. As posted by Dick Whitman above, replaying the final mission may be the solution if that happens again.

Man. I just can't do five more fireclaw fights on Ultra Hard. I just can't. My soul cannot take it. Sorry GG, I love this game but not being able to bump down the difficulty just doesn't make any sense :(.

I loved that part, especially due to the challenge. GG are smart and they have added something different to each fireclaw encounter, so you can experiment with strategies for fighting them.

For example - you can over ride / corrupt lesser machines and distract the fireclaw. Kill the ravager and use its cannon on the fireclaw. Many such variations. Good luck!

I dont know how to describe when i encountered and killed my first stormbird (the big one), its was a breathtaking ride.

The first encounter with a new machine is always memorable. First snapmaw, first thunderjaw, first scorcher, first stormbird.....so so good.

The only machine no one wants to remember the first encounter with are glinthawks :P

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I killed a Fireclaw but it didn't count as one of the five because I didn't have the quest active. At least it wasn't a hard fight. They're much easier to handle out in the open.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the main quest and saw 5 more Fireclaws and I just can't right now. The one I had to do murdered me on hard. Is there a list of all of the quests? I want to buy the last bow I need but I'm 2 blueglem short and I want that before I go take on Fireclaws.

The story of this DLC was great, I cannot wait for Horizon II they have done such a great job building this world and there is such a huge story for them to tell. Do you guys think this was cut from the game or created from scratch? It's so lengthy and meaty that I have to believe if it was supposed to be in the game it wouldn't have been this detailed. I wish we were getting just one more DLC of this quality because it was excellent. I also liked getting some more of Sylens backstory from Ourea and he's shady as hell. I really want to know what is going on with Hephaestus and why these dangerous machines are coming out.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't gotten to the DLC yet, but I wanted to say that I just started Horizon for the first time and I'm really sucked into it. Playing on Normal I'm getting my ass kicked more than in most games, but it feels good. It only sucks when I get killed before saving at a fire and I lose some rare resource.

Only other things I dislike are requiring a rare resource to buy a purple outfit or ammo upgrade (even with the upgrade to get more rare stuff it can take a while to farm some things), and also the facial animations are extremely uncanny valley. The emotions and skin at times look amazing, but then there's little things like eyebrows twitching too much or animations being a little too robotic.

I do love Snow areas, so I can't wait to get to the DLC.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The story of this DLC was great, I cannot wait for Horizon II they have done such a great job building this world and there is such a huge story for them to tell. Do you guys think this was cut from the game or created from scratch? It's so lengthy and meaty that I have to believe if it was supposed to be in the game it wouldn't have been this detailed. I wish we were getting just one more DLC of this quality because it was excellent. I also liked getting some more of Sylens backstory from Ourea and he's shady as hell. I really want to know what is going on with Hephaestus and why these dangerous machines are coming out.

Nothing was cut from the base game, it was as is. As far as I know, after HZD's launch, it was the fans who requested NG+, higher difficulty and DLC content - which the devs provided as they could.

Though it's not hard to imagine that GG had a lot more stuff that never made it into the final game, and it was meant for the inevitable sequel. So adding a chunky DLC to the base game would not have been hard for them. The improvements in the DLC are a clear indication that they put in the effort to improve upon most, if not all, aspects of the game requiring it. If you have ever played Killzone Shadow Fall, you would have seen the pattern of free dlc and regular updates that they kept on pushing out for their game.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's in reference to the main game, considering that The Frozen Wilds takes place during the main game and not after it. Hope this helps...so yes, once return to the main storyline.
Yeah makes sense, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure, after finishing up all the quests/errands I could of seen them speaking again.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing was cut from the base game, it was as is. As far as I know, after HZD's launch, it was the fans who requested NG+, higher difficulty and DLC content - which the devs provided as they could.

Though it's not hard to imagine that GG had a lot more stuff that never made it into the final game, and it was meant for the inevitable sequel. So adding a chunky DLC to the base game would not have been hard for them. The improvements in the DLC are a clear indication that they put in the effort to improve upon most, if not all, aspects of the game requiring it. If you have ever played Killzone Shadow Fall, you would have seen the pattern of free dlc and regular updates that they kept on pushing out for their game.

I didn't mean cut from the game in the sense that a lot of DLC is literally being developed as part of the game and then cut to sell seperately. I meant cut from the game in the sense that they had a plan for this to be included but didn't have time/money/resources and decided not to include it. HZD was a very complete game but the way this fits is a bit odd to me since it takes place alongside the regular storyline and details from this are added into the main game as well. It's a bit too fleshed out for me to think that it was going to be a quest or have this same layout had it been included in the base game but the connection to Hephaestus and the aggressive robots is mentioned in the base game and this expands on it pretty well. So I'm wondering if something like the explanation you get from Cyan was originally planned but they decided against it.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
IMO the best time to fit this in the main story is right before starting the final mission, after Gaia Prime Mission.

I restarted the game and my idea was to play the DLC after the big ZD revelation.
What are the differences and changes if I play at that moment or right before the final mission? Without details or spoilers, are there major differences in the story or only little changes in the dialogues?

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I didn't mean cut from the game in the sense that a lot of DLC is literally being developed as part of the game and then cut to sell seperately. I meant cut from the game in the sense that they had a plan for this to be included but didn't have time/money/resources and decided not to include it. HZD was a very complete game but the way this fits is a bit odd to me since it takes place alongside the regular storyline and details from this are added into the main game as well. It's a bit too fleshed out for me to think that it was going to be a quest or have this same layout had it been included in the base game but the connection to Hephaestus and the aggressive robots is mentioned in the base game and this expands on it pretty well. So I'm wondering if something like the explanation you get from Cyan was originally planned but they decided against it.

Honestly, if you look at the map as a whole, there are several places with hooks left in for possible DLC areas. They probably chose the Cut because they had the most material left over to build a new region around snow, plus the Ba-nuk weren't really that fleshed out in the main game so they figured it was theme to build a DLC around.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I restarted the game and my idea was to play the DLC after the big ZD revelation.
What are the differences and changes if I play at that moment or right before the final mission? Without details or spoilers, are there major differences in the story or only little changes in the dialogues?
I'd say just minor changes in dialog until you get to the end of Frozen Wilds, then you'll get answers to some things about the main Horizon quest line. But the way it's set up you can continue playing through the main game and then return to Frozen Wilds whenever you want to talk about any new revelations that you've learned.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main story this morning. Really enjoyed the story. Now I just have a couple things to wrap up.

It's gonna be really tempting to start a NG+ and play it all again with these new weapons, but Black Friday is coming up my backlog is already getting kind of daunting...

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
I really question the encounter with two frostclaws in the side quest in new game+, ultra hard, no hud. Was trying 1 hour to beat the frakkers.

No success, close combat I get crushed from the other one, from the distance get ice projectiles or ice Spikes and die.

I like challenge, but this is some bad tuned encounter on the highest difficulty.

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this DLC.

Is it just me, or do facial animations look better? Like, people are more expressive or something? Dunno, just feels like it.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Just started this DLC.

Is it just me, or do facial animations look better? Like, people are more expressive or something? Dunno, just feels like it.

It's definitely not just you. Animations are better, tighter, richer and more varied, and the dialog system is better fleshed out, so you get a few different camera setups instead of just the shot-and-reverse-shot. Pretty impressive it improved so much in such a short time, honestly.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to start a second NG+ on Ultra Hard just so I can see how the gameplay differs with the addition of the new armor and weapons (mostly the weapons). I know I can see how they do around the map now that I've beaten everything from the main game, but who knows. Maybe in a few months I'll do it. I can see myself doing replays pretty regularly until Horizon 2 just because of how much fun the gameplay is, how gorgeous the game looks, and Aloy.

Oct 25, 2017
That's me totally completed this now. Getting to level 60 was a small grind but other than that this was great. It's more of the same within the context of the main game but when the same is this good I'll take it. I think GG were really smart putting this out just before the years end as a reminder of how good this for GOTY lists.

My main criticism, like the main game, is that the last boss is just a repeat of a prior enemy instead of something unique. Also the game having Aloy as being the centre of universe best at everything chosen one but to be honest as a dude I've been catered to like that for ages so it's about time an other gender gets a character like that.

I loved the conversation with Cyan. It was evocative of Sovereign from Mass Effect but on the other end of the friendship spectrum. Pretty much all the NPC's were great but Varga was the best. The Cut and the snow graphical effects were majestic.

Looking forward to the direction they take Horizon 2.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
WtSWBtl.gif
Oh, come ON. Just astounding. Cripes.

KINGofCRA5H

Oct 25, 2017
Napa, CA
Question for those who finished. Ending spoiler

Did CYAN ever say why or what caused HEPHAESTUS to go rouge and start building all these new machines? Was it the same signal from the base game that woke up GAIA and made her self destruct? Not sure if I just missed it or they never really mentioned it...

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
This game, or specifically the DLC, continues to surprise and delight. Something as simple as a couple errands ended up being really rewarding.
I thought the weapon upgrades from Varga would basically amount to some slight stat boosts but instead they resulted in all new designs with new ammo types and serious damage increases. Part of me was worried that trekking back to the base world to acquire the parts needed for the upgrades would break the immersion factor of being in the Cut but I was wrong. The different environments served as a nice contrast to those in the Cut.
I just feel like everything in this DLC improved upon what was in the base game. Not only did we get more of what made Horizon so great but everything was generally even better than before (e.g. character animations, quest design, quest rewards, storytelling, world building, etc.). It really makes me look forward to a sequel.

On another note, the soundtrack was fantastic. The use of woodwind and percussion instruments really accented the tribal or indigenous aspects of the world and served as a great contrast to the machines. In the future, I would welcome even more influences from Native American cultures. There's an official playlist on Spotify titled "Dreamcatcher" that perfectly captures what I'm referring to. If anyone is interested in similar music as the OST I would highly recommend giving it a listen.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
That's me totally completed this now. Getting to level 60 was a small grind but other than that this was great. It's more of the same within the context of the main game but when the same is this good I'll take it. I think GG were really smart putting this out just before the years end as a reminder of how good this for GOTY lists.

My main criticism, like the main game, is that the last boss is just a repeat of a prior enemy instead of something unique. Also the game having Aloy as being the centre of universe best at everything chosen one but to be honest as a dude I've been catered to like that for ages so it's about time an other gender gets a character like that.

I loved the conversation with Cyan. It was evocative of Sovereign from Mass Effect but on the other end of the friendship spectrum. Pretty much all the NPC's were great but Varga was the best. The Cut and the snow graphical effects were majestic.

Looking forward to the direction they take Horizon 2.

The last story boss I fought was the Fireclaw which was the first encounter I had with it. Does it appear elsewhere before the ending?

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How in the world can i complete the last hunting chief trial with highest medal ? how to deal with the frost claws fast? they take forever to die :(

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the frozen wilds start quest in daytower and it was pretty funny to see the improved facial animations that 1 guy had versus everyone else in the outpost. To say he sticks out is an understatement lol

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
I'm loving this expansion. The animations and writing during dialogue are so much better. Whereas characters had a sort of "dead eyes" look to them in the original game, they are teeming with personality in the expansion.

The game just looks stupid, though. I barely make any progress because I end up staring at the scenery for minutes at a time. The graphics are hilariously good. There really is no other game that compares. Does ANY game feature more impressive snow tech? I can't think of one. The snow looks, sounds, and behaves exactly as it would in real life.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it; amazing stuff. Pretty much did everything except a few trophies I don't care about. Those last enemies are no joke. The worst thing about the DLC is Aloy mentioning Blue Gleam every few minutes, but that says a lot on the quality of this DLC... now to wait for the sequel :/

backbreaker

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man damn this game in 3D audio is like no other. The Machine sounds like the storm bird/glinthawk coming from above or hearing a trampler grunt behind you and the roar of the FrostClaw is phenomenal.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Finished it today. Really enjoyed the expansion overall. Thought the enemy encounters were alot tougher than I remember in the first game (it maybe I was just rusty with the combat). looked beautiful and the story was interesting. Only real complaint is how the story takes place before the final mission in the base game. Weird as most people have finished the game so would have been better to do the expansion after it, instead of during it.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
To sum up the Golden Joystick awards:

Best Storytelling - Horizon Zero Dawn
Best Gaming Performance - Ashly Burch (Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn)
Breakthrough Award - Ashly Burch
Playstation Game of the Year - Horizon Zero Dawn

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, the game is amazing. I beat The Frozen Wilds yesterday and it's just so rewarding. It just keeps on giving. The dlc is truly masterclass- the weapons are great to use and are smart additions to Aloy's already expansive selection of arms and the added beasts force you to use weapons that you otherwise wouldn't have. Prior to the dlc, I was entirely dependent on the Powershot-type bows but I was forced to adapt to the elemental weaknesses of the new machines and use slings and heavy weapons. This served to save me much ammo and cut down on encounter time. I appreciate how the game forces you to adapt and change your approach and makes clear that no one approach is the best one for every machine. The gameplay to me is VERY reminiscent of the Souls series in terms of evasion and hit detection.

I'm glad Guerrilla is finally getting the rightful attention it deserves as they have succeeded on some many levels. I hope that that success carries on into their next game.

WightnNerdy

Oct 27, 2017
London, Ontario
I hadn't played Horizon basically since I Platinum'd it way back in April. Since then I've switched from using my regular old Marley headphones plugged into my controller to using the Sony Gold wireless headset. Does anyone else have an issue with the 3D audio? Because Alloy is always running on the left side of the screen it seems like her footsteps only come through the left speaker on my headset, which kinda bugs me. It makes the audio seem unbalanced. I noticed this since I started playing the Frozen Wilds stuff. Has this happened to anyone else?

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
I hadn't played Horizon basically since I Platinum'd it way back in April. Since then I've switched from using my regular old Marley headphones plugged into my controller to using the Sony Gold wireless headset. Does anyone else have an issue with the 3D audio? Because Alloy is always running on the left side of the screen it seems like her footsteps only come through the left speaker on my headset, which kinda bugs me. It makes the audio seem unbalanced. I noticed this since I started playing the Frozen Wilds stuff. Has this happened to anyone else?
It's not something I've noticed when using my Gold's.

3D audio is only available on the Platinum headset, is there a setting to turn it on in the menu? Could be that's causing an issue if you've turned it on as the headset can't play it properly.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Just did the tall neck. That was far more interesting than in the base game.

It also just reconfirmed how beautiful this game is. I stood on top of the tall neck for a good while just marvelling at the scenery.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the sidequests and errands yesterday and only need to do a few more feats. Perfect add on for me. I've enjoyed the puzzles and have really seen where Guerilla have experimented - which I think have paid off.

I'm quite excited as to what they'll do next as the DLC has added in some rather interesting plot developments. Definitely my GOTY overall for this year.

Oh, special shout out to the narrative guys. I've only really frowned once (during the waterlogged quest) because the ending to a quest was too brief or a character moment was too stunted. Everything else has been great.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Just got a pro, should I replay the game at resolution favored or performance favored? I do have a 4k tv if that makes a difference.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To sum up the Golden Joystick awards:

Best Storytelling - Horizon Zero Dawn
Best Gaming Performance - Ashly Burch (Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn)
Breakthrough Award - Ashly Burch
Playstation Game of the Year - Horizon Zero Dawn

woop! Its my GOTY as well. Just an amazing game; I've spent the most hours this year on HZD and I didnt even 100% it either.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
So now that a good number of us have finished Frozen Wilds...

Does anybody know how many unique mods are in the DLC?
I found 9 of them
Code:
- damage/tear/handling
- damage/tear/fire
- damage/lightning/Ice
- fire/lightning/Ice
- ice/lightning/corruption
- lightning/fire/handling

- melee def /fire res
- Fire res/ranged def
- Ice res/melee def

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
So now that a good number of us have finished Frozen Wilds...

Does anybody know how many unique mods are in the DLC?
I found 9 of them
Code:
- damage/tear/handling
- damage/tear/fire
- damage/lightning/Ice
- fire/lightning/Ice
- ice/lightning/corruption
- lightning/fire/handling

- melee def /fire res
- Fire res/ranged def
- Ice res/melee def

11. Full list on Reddit.