• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Full nominees:
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Night in the Woods
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
100% deserved. Horizon Zero Dawn has one of the absolute best stories in gaming and a science fiction story up there with the greats like Asimov.

Horizon also won Outstanding Technical Achievement.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
can't say I disagree, the story just kept me engage until the end. Also good to see GG know their weakness and hired the right people on the job. KZ has a massive lore but the games were just another fps, Horizon is different, you get the see a lot of it in the actual game.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hellblade, Wolfenstein, and Edith Finch are great company to be in. Congratulations to Guerrilla!

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah really love the tribal world with a sci-if twist. Kinda knew it would be special just from that leaked concept art along time ago.

Just a SICK universe GG created. Ohhh that PS5 sequel will be insane smh.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd give it to Night in the Woods. Mostly because that's the only one I've played on the list.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
the nominees list i thought was bad. but i guess out of the games they picked this makes sense. technical achievement i obviously get

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
One day I need to go back to Horizon and find the rest of those old world audio and text files. They definitely had the best writing in the game but they were way to hidden. I don't think I even found half of them.

Henry.Swanson

Jan 27, 2018
I gave up half way through as I found the story uninteresting and couldn't stand the dialogue, does it do anything original in the end? It felt very generic compared to the games technical achievements.
I found hellblade a good counterpoint. While they both took themself a bit too seriously I had much more empathy for senua. I think it was down to performance mainly but the story was much more unique to gaming.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
interesting story idk about award worthy. but technical achievement for sure game was stunning and performed very solid

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
No NieR or Original Sin 2 on that list? Why?

That said, I can see why Horizon won. It's a great story, and very surprising coming from Guerrila. (They got Witcher 3 writers right?)

...But it wasn't better than those other 2. :P

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Deserved. Story hasnt kept me so engaged in a long time. Though i had to check some story bits online cause i was confused about something lol.
Recently started Frozen wilds, its event better than base game.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
No NieR or Original Sin 2 on that list? Why?

That said, I can see why Horizon won. It's a great story, and very surprising coming from Guerrila. (They got Witcher 3 writers right?)

...But it wasn't better than those other 2. :P

Quest designer from W3, writer from fallout new vegas

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OP. do not take this personally but why HZD was singled out and thread was created for DICE awards? What about other games

Nov 29, 2017
Beaufort SC
I bought the Collector's Edition for this meaning to play it, however, I also bought a Switch at the same time and was building my first gaming PC. This lead to me playing a lot more exclusively on PC, then I had to play Mario and Zelda.

So many darn games came out this year that I bought and I haven't played has given me a huge backlog. My 2 sons finished the game and said it was amazing and I wanted it, because I enjoy Sci Fi games with a future dystopian feel to it. Like they had to start all over again.

I had maybe got about 2 hours into it when I started building my new PC, then I started going backwards through all the Dark souls games.

Along with that we redid my office and I was working on connecting my 2 4K monitors to my PC, Switch, and Pro.

Now that it is all finished I can get down to enjoying this game, although Kingsom Come just came out, so I may split my time. I only play games about 5 hours a week, so games take me quite awhile to beat, but I am excited to dig in.

Congrats on the award!

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a little while now since I've enjoyed a video game story as much as HZD, I was surprised how good it was. Congrats to GG, very much deserved.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. This game is the real deal, and personally it's the main reason I bought a PS4.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I gave up half way through as I found the story uninteresting and couldn't stand the dialogue, does it do anything original in the end? It felt very generic compared to the games technical achievements.
I found hellblade a good counterpoint. While they both took themself a bit too seriously I had much more empathy for senua. I think it was down to performance mainly but the story was much more unique to gaming.
It takes a long time but the the story does get compelling.

I agree with you, Hellblade has a lot to do with the performance of the actor playing Senua. Outstanding work from her and I'm glad she got recognition in the Game Awards.

Oct 27, 2017
Will need to pick it up again at some point. The three or four days of gaming session I spent with the game left me completely bored, gameplay and story wise. I couldn't stand dialogue in particular, npcs talked way too much about the most idiotic things i didn't care about. But I guess it'll get better later? Dunno

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. The fact that this game came from a company whose work I've never enjoyed only blows me away even more. Story, gameplay; it was all so engaging.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is one of the best stories I've experienced in a game and quite easily the strongest in an open world design. Well deserved.

I do think Nier should have been a contender.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017

The story picks up once you reach Creator's End. I was honestly asking myself where the praise was coming from, doing sidequests and other storylines while thinking that was the final quest. But it wasn't. And everything from that quest to the end is really, really good sci-fi. I don't know if I would say it is at the same level as Asimov, but getting there is worth it for the twist alone.

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
I really loved the game but the story was just ok.
Nothing incredible that deserve a prize to my eyes.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
As already posted: 2x Awards and 10x Nominations. Incredible for a brandnew IP. Congrats Guerrilla Games.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. Without it's story the game would have been a drop. I hope HZD2 triples down on more story.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Definitely my favorite sci fi story from last year. John Gonzales and co did an amazing job coming up with genuinely intriguing reasons for the world to be full of robot dinosaurs and people in tribal garb. Can't wait to visit more of that world in the future.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Full nominees:
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Night in the Woods
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
100% deserved. Horizon Zero Dawn has one of the absolute best stories in gaming and a science fiction story up there with the greats like Asimov.

Horizon also won Outstanding Technical Achievement.

Well deserved, and it's good to see Hellblade and What Remains of Edith Finch among the nominees.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. The story is what kept me mostly engaged till the end which rarely happens since I don't play videogames for story.