• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Looks like the 15000th FP horror on Steam, can't really determine what about it is better. Someone know what's distinctly great about it?
There's some generic FP horror stuff in this for sure but we don't get a lot of games from and set in Taiwan like this. The world and characters feel very authentic and the game actually tries to say something about something. It also feels pretty polished, though I think could maybe use some optimization. I'm above the recommended specs and I had a little bit of stuttering occasionally as I recounted earlier.

Last edited:

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
71606f829709729ffd09d886ab59d339.png

Currently #1 on Steam Global Best Seller, game deserves it.

Mar 29, 2018
The game is neat so far but it's one of those situations where the game persistently stutters just a little bit for me no matter what I do to it. Everything high, everything low, it performs pretty much the same. It was kind of hard to parse at first because the game has this intense intentional stuttering effect during cutscenes but I found a nice, well-lit little area seemingly without that effect where I could test things and yeah, it's running kinda eh. I'm just on a GTX 1060 w/a i5 7400.
Could be those weird Windows throttlingey things that have been happening recently?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Single player indie horror PC with a narrative focus that is blowing up in the East. I don't think anyone should be that surprised that this game isn't lighting up the news in the West.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Single player indie horror PC with a narrative focus that is blowing up in the East. I don't think anyone should be that surprised that this game isn't lighting up the news in the West.
It is on PC only. Pretty much always the reason when something starts gaining traction but nary a peep from western mainstream until the devs threaten a switch/PS4 version.

Tbf it is till too fucking early and I have not seen any news about the quality of the game outside of good opening day sales so it could just taking some time for news to come out.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It is on PC only. Pretty much always the reason when something starts gaining traction but nary a peep from western mainstream until the devs threaten a switch/PS4 version.

Tbf it is till too fucking early and I have not seen any news about the quality of the game outside of good opening day sales so it could just taking some time for news to come out.

PC only games can certainly make it into the mainstream gaming news but it's certain types of games, almost always multiplayer. Such a niche title with a following outside of the West isn't exactly the formula to garner the attention of most that aren't already a fan of such things.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
I bought it last night, Detention was one of the best horror game I've played the last decade, so I'll automatically support Red Candle.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
PC only games can certainly make it into the mainstream gaming news but it's certain types of games, almost always multiplayer. Such a niche title with a following outside of the West isn't exactly the formula to garner the attention of most that aren't already a fan of such things.
Or it's a new indie from the devs of a big indie hit, like Into The Breach and Heat Signature

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Taiwan based studios are becoming a real thing. That's cool.

I loved Detention and we don't have enough horror games. Budget for this game seems higher than Detention looking at the visuals in the trailer.

Lady Siara

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished playing through it and thought I'd share some impressions.

My initial feeling was...disappointment? It's a well crafted game but I was expecting more of a 3D version of Detention. While the dense environmental story telling and symbolism are still present, the horror seems more tame I'd say. That said, gameplay wise, it's varied for its length (about 2 and a half hours) and I was never bored. Comparisons to Edith Finch are apt and framing your expectations around that would serve you well. The story and environment are the main draws here, and unsurprisingly, the music is still phenomenal.

Overall, I think it'll grow on me in time.