• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
So, i just finished reading It and it was... ok-ish. Since i got nothing to do, can you guys recommend me some horror books?

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
uglything-e1477945083856.png

Is Manga okay? Its not a book i know but you cant mention without Junji Ito.
Start with Uzumaki and then work your way through his astounding libary of cosmic horror.

Highly recommended!

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Something Wicked This Way Comes. Not especially spooky, but a fantastic book anyway.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
71l6BaNbV1L.jpg

In upstate New York, in the woods around Woodstock, Dutchman's Creek flows out of the Ashokan Reservoir. Steep-banked, fast-moving, it offers the promise of fine fishing, and of something more, a possibility too fantastic to be true. When Abe and Dan, two widowers who have found solace in each other's company and a shared passion for fishing, hear rumors of the Creek, and what might be found there, the remedy to both their losses, they dismiss it as just another fish story. Soon, though, the men find themselves drawn into a tale as deep and old as the Reservoir. It's a tale of dark pacts, of long-buried secrets, and of a mysterious figure known as Der Fisher: the Fisherman. It will bring Abe and Dan face to face with all that they have lost, and with the price they must pay to regain it.

A good cosmic horror story.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
71l6BaNbV1L.jpg

A good cosmic horror story.

I really enjoyed The Fisherman. The third act was a little... I dunno, predictable? But it was really cool nonetheless. A very nice take on Lovecraft.

As far as recommendations go: I'm a huge fan of Joe Hill. N0S4A2 is one of my favorite novels, so I'd highly recommend it. Heart Shaped Box is also good, but (also) has a less-than-stellar third act. Horns is excellent, but I don't know if I would consider it "horror" in the normal sense.

I also like Mister B. Gone by Cliver Barker.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56065

Apr 18, 2019
uglything-e1477945083856.png

Is Manga okay? Its not a book i know but you cant mention without Junji Ito.
Start with Uzumaki and then work your way through his astounding libary of cosmic horror.

Highly recommended!
Cosmic horror is always welcome.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will take a look if i can find any those online to buy.

tbone

Oct 27, 2017
Read this:

Paperbacks from Hell: The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction: Hendrix, Grady: 9781594749810: Books - Amazon

Paperbacks from Hell: The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction: Hendrix, Grady: 9781594749810: Books - Amazon

Then go and find some of them used online. They are also reprinting several of them since this book came out.

Some more fun book reviews from Grady Hendrix: https://www.tor.com/tag/freaky-fridays/

My Amazon wishlists are full of expensive hot garbage now, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Joe Hill's work is pretty great. I can't recommend N0S4A2 and Locke and Key (Graphic Novel Series) enough. His other books are also solid (as are his short stories).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hostage to the Devil, by Malachai Martin

Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans: Martin, Malachi: 9780060653378: Books: Amazon.com

Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans [Martin, Malachi] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans

Absolutely terrified me when I read it ... ~15 years ago. It's ~5 or 6 stories of "real life exorcisms" from a former priest who is batshit crazy Vatican I old school conservative Catholic priest. He's a "Former" priest because he excommunicated himself IIRC, because the Catholic Church became "too liberal" for him or something along those lines. One of them, I believe, is the detailing of the case that inspired the novel The Exorcist (and movie). For that matter, the Exorcist is also scary.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I tried reading House of Leaves but I couldn't get into it. I felt the way it was written, while creative, undermined actually being able to follow what was going on which made it hard to feel scared or feel anything. I only got maybe halfway or slightly earlier before stopping.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Graham Masterton: Picture of Evil, Mirror, Feast
James Herbert: Rats, The Survivor

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
james herbert rats trilogy -the rats,lair,domain

shaun hutson - assassin,slugs (there is a sequel to slugs called breeding ground but i don't think i've read that)

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Came in to suggest House of Leaves, happy that others got here before me. It'll stick with you forever and you'll read nothing else like it. I can see how some people won't be into it, but I thought it was ace and spooked me like unlike anything else too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56065

Apr 18, 2019
Just started The Fisherman and will track I have no mouth and i must scream and House of leaves next, them start working my way down the other recommendations.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I'm also recommending The Fisherman, just read it and really liked it.

You could always go for a classic like The Woman in Black?

If you don't mind manga, you can't go wrong with Junji Ito, some of the most disturbing visuals I've ever seen.

I also like Joe Hill, he has some fantastic horror novels and his short story collections are also great. His latest short story collection is called Full Throttle and includes the recently adapted In The Tall Grass.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill is one of my favourite novels. It's dark, unsettling and a long read.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
Vastarien is a great magazine (really four books a year) that is beautiful, cheap and contains short stories and essays of lesser known authors. Great way to treat yourself as a horror fan.
vastarien-journal.com

Grimscribe Press

Home of Vastarien: A Literary Journal

Other than that any book by:
Sergei Lukyanenko horror/existentialism
Dmitri Glukhovsky sci-fi/fantasy/horror
John Ajvide horror/existentialism
Thomas Ligotti existentialism/cosmic horror/nihilism

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
Thomas Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer & Grimscribe. Two short story collection recently released together by Penguin. After Poe and Lovecraft, Ligotti is my highest recommendation. All of his work is absolutely fantastic.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Just started The Fisherman and will track I have no mouth and i must scream and House of leaves next, them start working my way down the other recommendations.
When you get to House of Leaves, I highly recommend the physical book over digital. The book plays a lot with word placement, font, text size, text color etc. that might not translate to digital. I don't know for sure since I've only read the physical, but maybe someone can chime in that's read it digitally.

Oct 30, 2017
Vastarien is a great magazine (really four books a year) that is beautiful, cheap and contains short stories and essays of lesser known authors. Great way to treat yourself as a horror fan.
vastarien-journal.com

Grimscribe Press

Home of Vastarien: A Literary Journal

Other than that any book by:
Sergei Lukyanenko horror/existentialism
Dmitri Glukhovsky sci-fi/fantasy/horror
John Ajvide horror/existentialism
Thomas Ligotti existentialism/cosmic horror/nihilism
Vastarien rules.
Ugh I can't remember the name of the book or the writer, but there's a very good, Ligottiesque collection of connected stories I read recently.
Has anyone mentioned Laird Barron? His first few collections are tremendous.
Haunted Castles by Ray Russell.
Not really horror per se, but horrifying anyway: Roadside Picnic is amazing and creepy.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Check out some Jack Ketchum and Joe R. Lansdale, both highly influential and Ketchum helped birth extreme horror, and Lansdale while he is neither helped speed along/create both Splatterpunk and Bizzaro.

Oct 25, 2017
Some great replies in here! Horror, especially literary horror, is my favorite genre so I've read a bunch.

Seconding recommendations for The Terror, The Fisherman, Head Full of Ghosts (and all of Paul Tremblay's other books while you're at it, he's one of my favorite modern horror authors), House of Leaves, anything by Joe Hill (particularly NOS4A2 and Heart Shaped Box) and most anything by Stephen King. Both The Terror and The Fisherman stayed with me for a while.

I also highly recommend Nick Cutter. He's got 4 books out right now: The Troop, The Deep, The Acolyte, and Little Heaven. I enjoyed all of them. The Troop was a little gross for my liking, but the others weren't nearly as gross.

Other recs:
The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle
The Ritual by Adam Nevill (started out strong but had a weak second half imo)
American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Some ladies for your reading list:
Come Closer by Sara Gran
Seed by Ania Ahlborn
The Hunger by Alma Katsu

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton, but I've read most of these in the past few years and really enjoyed them.