• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I was about to create this OT. Glad someone beat me to the punch. I'm not sure what I should watch tonight. Any 70s or 80s movie recommendations?

Satanic panic of the 60s and 70s means some really great occult stuff. Some of it bleeds into the 80s too.

Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist
The Amityville Horror
Suspiria
House of the Devil (made to look like the 70s and 80s)

Other non occult stuff:
The Fly
American Werewolf in London
Fright Night
Evil Dead 1 and 2
Creepshow
The Shining
Little Shop of Horror
House (1977)
The Thing
The Boxers Omen

BroggieDoge

Oct 26, 2017
FL
Any era peeps on instagram? My page is mainly horror and a visual log of whatever I'm watching... I'd love to follow more horror peeps @nightofthecreeps

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
The Collector
Continuing my 31 days of Halloween with a serial killer theme I was supposed to watch Peeping Tom tonight but the damn Netflix disc was scratched and didn't play. I had the Collector on my list at one point so I had to call an audible and watch this instead. What a piece of shit this was too. There is a cool premise in here I think but the way it was put together was terrible. This Collector guy rounds up people to torture then goes in after he has them subdued and sets up these intricate traps because...? I never did connect those dots. The doors had extra locks put in, windows were boarded over, then this massive array of razor blades, knives on springs, tripwires, bear traps, and quite a few others were put in. Somehow this one guy has all the time in the world to setup these super intricate traps for giggles I guess.

There is a cool idea here if it was spun differently. Like if he nabbed his victims and turned them loose in this fun house while he chased them. Or...maybe set all these traps in case someone interrupted his work on a victim. Pretty much anything could be better because this story was a bad mix of Don't Breathe, Indiana Jones, and Saw. Some of the kills were decent I guess and the makeup was good but that's all the positive I have about this one.

I'm going to rate this movie two victims in a chest.

220px-TheCollectorPoster.jpg

BroggieDoge

Oct 26, 2017
FL
Continuing my Hall-o-watch with The Exorcist III. Decided to catch an early showing of Jigsaw either tomorrow or this weekend.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I forgot about Jigsaw. Can't wait to see it!

I also feel like rewatching VHS and VHS2 this weekend.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting my original thoughts of Jigsaw
Just came out of it.
By far the worst Saw movie, even worse than Saw V. My girlfriend fell asleep during it and I don't blame her.

I'll write up more when I get home and if I collect my thoughts. Blargh

I was ULTRA looking forward to it too

can't wait for Jigsaw 2

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, worst Saw movie. I never expected much from Jigsaw.

I need to rewatch 7, I don't remember one thing that happened in 7.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
For those of you who like slow burn horror that really chews on atmosphere, check out 1922 on Netflix. It's yet another Stephen King novela adaptation, but probably my personal favorite ever.

Sounds promising. It's on my list, and I've just been waiting for a proper time when I can watch it with my girlfriend. Gerald's Game was pretty good as well, at least for someone like me who hasn't read the book, but not without flaws. The book is one of my GF's favorites, and she was a bit disappointed with the adaptation.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Sounds promising. It's on my list, and I've just been waiting for a proper time when I can watch it with my girlfriend. Gerald's Game was pretty good as well, at least for someone like me who hasn't read the book, but not without flaws. The book is one of my GF's favorites, and she was a bit disappointed with the adaptation.

I loved the movie. Haven't read the book, but don't really care for King's writing. (Tertiary character name spoiler)
Moonlight Man
subplot felt pointless and unnecessary though - I didn't feel it added anything, and it struck me as oddly over the top in contrast to the rest of the story. Otherwise it was a tight psychological thriller with a truly superb lead.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I dunno which movie the spoiler refers to, so I'm replying without quoting. ;) If you refer to Gerald's Game, I liked the tertiary character in it, and would have preferred more emphasis on it. Actually, the way that was handled was the main reason why my GF disliked the adaptation. Apparently that was much more disturbing in the book.

It's kinda funny, that my King fandom is mostly based on movie adaptations, since I've only read The Shining all the way through. I tried to read Pet Sematary and Christine a long time ago, but never finished them. I guess it's partly because of their length, as I have no issues with Lovecraft's writings, eventhough they can be slow-paced as well.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
I got sideways on 1922 and felt like the trailer made it out as a ghost story so my expectations were vastly wrong. It's a decent movie but these slow burns really don't work for me. Now, it is still a well made period piece with a good cast. Hell I barely recognized Thomas Jane. At the end of the day though, this gets a soft meh from me.

Kinggroin, shoot me a Discord pm if you would. Thanks!

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got sideways on 1922 and felt like the trailer made it out as a ghost story so my expectations were vastly wrong. It's a decent movie but these slow burns really don't work for me. Now, it is still a well made period piece with a good cast. Hell I barely recognized Thomas Jane. At the end of the day though, this gets a soft meh from me.

Kinggroin, shoot me a Discord pm if you would. Thanks!

Aw that sucks, though it seems from reading around on impressions that most feel as you do. I personally knew nothing of the film or book before going in. Just saw it appear, noticed it was based off of Stephen King's work, and threw it on.

I really like how the film was only slightly tinged with horror, most of what was scary being consequential, grounded, and internalized. Torture of the conscience then, is where all the horror manifests from.

I'll PM you with the link

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I dunno which movie the spoiler refers to, so I'm replying without quoting. ;) If you refer to Gerald's Game, I liked the tertiary character in it, and would have preferred more emphasis on it. Actually, the way that was handled was the main reason why my GF disliked the adaptation. Apparently that was much more disturbing in the book.

It's kinda funny, that my King fandom is mostly based on movie adaptations, since I've only read The Shining all the way through. I tried to read Pet Sematary and Christine a long time ago, but never finished them. I guess it's partly because of their length, as I have no issues with Lovecraft's writings, eventhough they can be slow-paced as well.

Sorry, yes - Gerald's Game. I wonder if I'd have appreciated the MM more if more focus was given to him; if his plotline could have been balanced more successfully to the point that it became more integral to the rest of the story. As it was, I'd have preferred him to have his own movie, because I'd have loved his next level grotesquery if it wasn't distracting me from the otherwise fairly serious and grounded developmental journey that is the main focus of the movie.

Deleted member 3876

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeeeeees, a horror thread—now I am complete! :D

Dunno about the rest of you but despite the reviews (and already having a twist spoiled—thanks sis) I'm seeing Jigsaw tonight. Not exactly excited but I'm totally down for good dumb fun.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you enjoy it! I hope everyone enjoys it and it makes a buttload of money because I want Saw to continue indefinitely :>

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who like slow burn horror that really chews on atmosphere, check out 1922 on Netflix. It's yet another Stephen King novela adaptation, but probably my personal favorite ever.

https://letterboxd.com/kinggroin/film/1922-2017/

downloadjcuah.jpg

1922 was great. It's hilarious in retrospect that I was so hyped for so long about Dark Tower and that ended up being terrible, and then I never even heard of this one until it was dropped on Netflix and I ended up liking it even more than It or Gerald's Game. Thomas Jane was so fun to watch, and it's up there with A Simple Plan for me in terms of movies about somebody sacrificing a good honest life for a chance at what's behind door #2.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1922 was great. It's hilarious in retrospect that I was so hyped for so long about Dark Tower and that ended up being terrible, and then I never even heard of this one until it was dropped on Netflix and I ended up liking it even more than It or Gerald's Game. Thomas Jane was so fun to watch, and it's up there with A Simple Plan for me in terms of movies about somebody sacrificing a good honest life for a chance at what's behind door #2.

YES!! I even referenced A Simple Plan in my review. Totally got those vibes.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Sorry, yes - Gerald's Game. I wonder if I'd have appreciated the MM more if more focus was given to him; if his plotline could have been balanced more successfully to the point that it became more integral to the rest of the story. As it was, I'd have preferred him to have his own movie, because I'd have loved his next level grotesquery if it wasn't distracting me from the otherwise fairly serious and grounded developmental journey that is the main focus of the movie.

Yeah, it could have been done better, and been given a bigger role like in the book. Now it felt like an addition to the story, instead of an integral part of it. Nevertheless, it made the movie more interesting to watch for me. Without the additional elements and mystery these kind of movies can get tiresome after a while, like Buried (2010) did.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah!

Watching Halloween right now.

#44 in the 31 Days of Horror

Last edited:

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
So what is the consensus here on The Exorcist III? I've been reading up on it and it sounds like it has some pretty interesting ideas. Is the directors cut easy to find? Or should I just watch the regular version?

Deleted member 3876

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what is the consensus here on The Exorcist III? I've been reading up on it and it sounds like it has some pretty interesting ideas. Is the directors cut easy to find? Or should I just watch the regular version?
It's definitely a different beast in comparison to the original but it's creepy in its own way. There's a really good scare in a hospital...

You can buy it on Blu-Ray at Amazon, which includes the director's cut, or you can rent it through various VOD services. Pretty sure it is the theatrical cut on VOD, which is IMHO the better version.

EDIT: It's on Shudder at the moment, should you happen to be subscribed there.

closer013

Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't already do yourselves a favor and watch "In the Mouth of Madness" it's easily one of John Carpenter's top films. The beginning credits have an awesome guitar piece by him. Sooooo good.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I'm disappointed that the 31 Days of Horror thread wasn't moved over here. Does anyone know if ThirstyFly made it over here?

Heath V

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love horror, it is my all time favorite genre. I have quite the collection that I would like to share but I don't know how to post pictures anymore since Photobucket started changing their policies.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, worst Saw movie. I never expected much from Jigsaw.

I need to rewatch 7, I don't remember one thing that happened in 7.

I completely disagree. 5 and 7 were downright terrible. Jigsaw was up there with 3 and 6 for me. The acting was competent throughout and I appreciated the non-frenetic cuts. The twist is semi-predictable but still was enjoyable.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm doing my horror movie night tonight in lieu of going out (it's cold, and I'm going out tomorrow night). I'm hoping you guys could help me decide between:

- Alien
- Get Out (seen, excellent movie I'm itching to rewatch)
- The Shining
- The VVitch

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed that the 31 Days of Horror thread wasn't moved over here. Does anyone know if ThirstyFly made it over here?

It's still up on the old site if you need to pull data from it and didn't get yourself banned.

On the horror side of things, I absolutely loved Autopsy of Jane Doe. One of the best horror films of the 2010s.

closer013

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend both the Shudder streaming service and the movie Spring which is currently on Shudder. For $4.99 a month you can easily find something to watch to make it worth the cost.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been trying to do a Netflix horror kick this past week.

• Thought Gerald's Game was pretty decent but I'm in camp hate the ending. Everything else was nice.
  • 1922 was okay in the background but I think would have been disappointing if I was focusing.
  • Babysitter was almost good, had it's heart in the right place at least I think. But ultimately wasn't quite there.
  • Keanu Reeves Eli Roth thing was a bit pointless imo with not a lot of actual suspense even.

Anyone have some Netflix recommendations or favorites?

Bookwise, read A Head Full of Ghosts and was pretty disappointed as well (autocorrect put in head full of goats and now i wonder what could have been)

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
Lurked on GAF for years and 31 Days of Horror was one of my favorite threads, learned about so many awesome movies in there. Anyway...

#27 - Alien 3 Special Edition

Avoided this and Resurrection cuz of the unanimous criticism I've heard, but hey, figured I should judge both of these films myself (I'll be watching Resurrection tomorrow).

Yeahhhhhh, this film wasn't very good. Not completely awful I guess, but not good. Neither that masterful slow-burning dread from Alien nor the action-packed fun from Aliens is present in Alien 3. Wasn't immersed at any point, such a stark contrast from the fantastic atmosphere of the first film (which is one of my all time favorite horror films). Also, I hear there wasn't much CGI in this? Why did the Alien look so awful in most scenes?! Lost for words.

flatearthpandas said:
Anyone have some Netflix recommendations or favorites?

Darling & They Look Like People are great if you're into psychological horror.

Last edited:

Cripplegate

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Anyone else watch The Pretty little thing that lives in the house? I watched it and have a lot of mixed thoughts on it and would like some other peoples opinions to get a handle on it.

I watched it a week or two back, didn't care much for it. I thought some of the atmospherics were nice but also thought it was stuck in a weird place where it had too much story to work as a mood piece but also not enough story to sustain a 90 minute running time. The story within a story, for example, with the author's book about the girl and the house, and the repeated mention of ghosts not being able to see the moment of their death... and then the movie wasting time on flashbacks showing exactly how the girl died, answering questions that don't even need answers. It's a house full of boring mysteries and a questionable special effects shot at the end.

Also, I hear there wasn't much CGI in this? Why did the Alien look so awful in most scenes?! Lost for words.

Bad compositing, mostly, would be my guess. They used a weird mix of effects (e.g. in some shots the alien is a puppet but its shadow is CGI?).

Here's what wiki says:

"The Alien is portrayed by both Woodruff, Jr. in a suit and a rod puppet filmed against bluescreen and optically composited into the live-action footage, with the rods removed by rotoscoping. A mechanical alien head was also used for close-ups"

Sadromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so is this the continuation thread of the 31 days of Halloween thread from the previous place? Can we post the daily movies seen with review, etc? I was really enjoying and participating in that thread.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so is this the continuation thread of the 31 days of Halloween thread from the previous place? Can we post the daily movies seen with review, etc? I was really enjoying and participating in that thread.

Nah this is a continuation of the horror thread of old but can be used to drop 31 days reviews. Were all scattered to the wind at this point so its hard to get continuity for the last week. Sucks but that's what happens when someone pulls the plug on our usual haunt...

Sadromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Nah this is a continuation of the horror thread of old but can be used to drop 31 days reviews. Were all scattered to the wind at this point so its hard to get continuity for the last week. Sucks but that's what happens when someone pulls the plug on our usual haunt...

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. Well, for what it's worth, I will post mine here through Halloween and still follow the thread. I love horror all the time not just during Halloween. It's just that October/Halloween, because of horror, has become my favorite holiday and I consider it my "Christmas". If what I post does not fit in this thread, let me know and I will stop. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sadromeo

Oct 27, 2017
October 22, 2017: Saw 4
October 23, 2017: Saw 5
October 24, 2017: Saw 6
October 25, 2017: Saw: The Final Chapter (Saw 7)
October 26, 2017: Jigsaw (Saw 8) - Really enjoyed this. Laser cutters FTW.

October 27, 2017:

TCDz5Vy.jpg

27 of 31 - Noroi: The Curse

A movie about a paranormal investigator/researcher's latest story about an old village's possible demon summoning ritual that has seemed to still be affecting people now...

This japanese movie portrays a paranormal researcher and his camerman during their investigation of a curse that was created by an old village's summoning ritual of a demon called Kagutaba. This village was eventually submerged by water when a dam is built nearby but it seems those that used to live in that village, including the daughter of the priest who performed the ritual, are still affected by it.

A longer movie but nicely ties in the story of the old village and strange coincidences that are uncovered by the investigator leading them to the village and the discovery of Kagutaba. If you like movies like Ring and Grudge (japanese versions) then this should be watched. I enjoyed it. -7/10

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know where I left off in the old 31 days thread but I may as well toss in a recap here. My girlfriend picked out this years theme which is serial killers so I've watched a wide array of films about that topic or ish. Some slasher just to fill in which some worked and some didn't. Right now my favorites are:
  • The Driller Killer
  • Angst
  • Bela Kiss: Prologue
  • The Psycho series (yes its actually a pretty good story arc overall and part two almost rivals the original)
  • Cruising
  • Cure
  • Deranged
  • Ms .45

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
These last few crazy days have reminded me how rubbish lurking without being able to post is. Glad I'm in here now!

I've pretty much kept up with my 31DoH viewings. I'll do a recap later.

EDIT:
Film #26
Rec 4: Apocalypse
Enjoyable conclusion to the series. The first film remains my absolute favourite found footage horror, the second a competent but uninspiring continuation, and the third a loopy, non-found footage diversion that I hated to start with before coming round to it a bit more on a subsequent viewing. The fourth, though still not a found footage movie, feels like a much more appropriate next step for the overall story. It's not without its faults, and its attempts to retain a little of the comedy from the third film fall flat, but its a solid enough film, despite its extremely misleading subtitle.

Film #27
V/H/S Viral
Much more enjoyable than I was expecting. The over-arching link story was crap, but the three main tales were all pretty good, with Parallel Monsters being the stand out segment. I found that actually quite un-nerving, despite it being pretty funny. I really like anthologies it must be said. I might do all anthologies for next year's marathon.

Film #28
The Velvet Vampire
Near the start of The Velvet Vampire there is an art exhibition held at The Stoker Gallery, a name used to try and lend the film a certain classic vampiric authenticity presumably. The attempt fails. While the acting is slightly better and there's less full on belly laughs to be had than in Blood Feast, the only other pre-80s movie I watched this month, this is still pretty damn accidentally funny. I especially liked the scenes when the male lead was 'nude' but poor camerawork meant you could still clearly see that he was wearing some extra-funky swimwear(?) he hadn't pulled down quite far enough.

Also a bonus for this early 70s movie is the groovy score and the even groovier dune buggy, that made me want to go and play Motorstorm. Everything else about it is pretty rubbish, but strangely appealing nonetheless. Also worth noting is that the IQ on the version Shudder are streaming is atrocious.

Last edited:

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Hell House LLC
This movie is dog shit and has way too many problems to be anything but dog shit. If even half the things that were going on happened to anyone reasonable they would have left. I'd have preferred that there was a slow buildup which was reasonable to question but end in some bloody finale. My favorite part is where this idiot gets stuck inside the building and beats on the door to get out then thinking its locked he turns around and goes back deeper in the house. What's the problem? The giant fucking panic bar you simply push to exit. The camera pans right over that. Movies like this are why found footage sucks.

I give this two shits because that is all I can muster.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I highly recommend A Dark Song this Halloween.

Its music and cinematography are excellent; eerie and unsettling.