• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
They're after the place. They don't know why; they just remember. Remember that they want to be in here.
They're us, that's all, there's no more room in hell.
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth.

lmXU24K.png

31 Days of Horror has been exhumed for yet another year!

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Hm, I've honestly never considered adding a collection of 2018 lists. Sure, I guess I can add that. It'll have to be something I add to after the thread goes up, but if people want their lists linked I'll add'em in.

No caption, I'm honestly not a fan of them and don't include them.
Cool! I think it'll be fun to compare everyone's themes and interests with each other.

Also, yeah, especially since the title is long enough already

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I realize this is a thread for film, but does anyone have recommendations for horror novels? I'm starting to make a yearly routine where alongside watching horror films, I want to read a horror book.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, possibly, depending on how you feel about modern teen-oriented horror. Certainly not any more than that. I enjoyed parts of it; there were some decent setups, Linda Cardellini was great in it, I enjoyed the 70's vibe and the washed out colors. That being said, the plot was sketchy at best, it dragged in parts even with a lean running time, and the ending was kind of a mess. I'll probably pick it up for the collection eventually (though I'm hoping for sub $10), but I'm a sucker for the multiplex teeny-bopper horror shit. The Conjuring universe connections are tenuous at best.
I see

Where is it on this scale

Annabelle Comes Home <-----> Wish Upon

Or this scale

Lights Out <----->Ouija

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Saw IT Chapter 2, and bleh, it wasn't really that good. What a bloated ass movie that also has too many jumpscares and cheesy CGI. This really needed some more trimming. Like I love the scene where

the girl goes under the bleachers and meets Pennywise, but it felt so unnecessary. They could have trimmed stuff from when all of them are looking for the objects, along with heading off to face Pennywise. It just felt like a freaking drag. Also not really a fan of the change they made with Stan's suicide.

I didn't really regret seeing this per say, and it has a great cast with some pretty good moments, but I don't think I will see it again.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Wait, I just saw that they released a Hell House LLC 3?? As a Shudder exclusive? I'm kind of afraid to watch it since I thought the second one was so bad...

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
drivein.jpg

Went to the local drive-in's yearly dusk-to-dawn marathon last night. It was a really great line-up this year: The Exorcist
It was actually my first time seeing it! I know, I know...
, Christine, Night of the Creeps, and Zombie. They also featured the first episode of the new Creepshow TV series before Christine as a sort of Stephen King double-billing. I had a blast but man, driving home at 5AM (an hour drive, mind you) after watching like eight hours of content is exhausting. lol

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Phantom being unmasked and the Invisible Man unraveling his bandages still hold up as being freaky as shit.

inisible.gif

tumblr_inline_ozgzzb7jkl1vnxoy3_540.gif

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Finally buckled in for Midsommar after missing its theatrical run. Came away from it still appreciating how Aster is interested in daring themes for his horror and his nack for some insanely memorable and striking imagery. I've already seen and saved a lot of amazing fan art of just the flower dress. However I would say I enjoyed Hereditary more at the end of the day. Midsommar reminds me a lot of The Wicker Man (1973) setting and plot wise but as pagan horror goes I'd watch Wicker Man first before picking Midsommar. It's not bad at all but my biggest criticism is that I often felt the weight of Midsommar's runtime. I feel a lot of places could have been trimmed down time wise and I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. Acting was great from most of the cast and Pugh deserves the same lauding as Toni Collette got for some fantastic and powerful emotion filled performances.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Fun Fact: The Invisible Man is 2nd only to Jason Voorhees in kill count
Man, why does that not surprise me? That scene where he unbandages himself freaked me out so badly as a kid I didn't watch the movie again until I was in Uni. It just sent my 5-year old mind reeling. I just didn't understand how it was possible, even with special effects considered. The paranoia of the invisible man possibly being anywhere at any time ruined my sleep for a good while.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow that was freaky. CGI took me out of it a little bit but that was still a really good story. I had no idea Tobin Bell and Giancarlo Esposito were in this

That fuckin' mold house part of the maze is gonna be nuts to walk through

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I actually liked the 2nd story a bit more. That's an interesting concept that I've never seen before.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Totally forgot the Creepshow TV show already went live on Shudder. Thanks for the heads up all!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else know they made a sequel to The Gallows and it's coming out late October?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Yay, Creepshow is here, and great first episode. Yeah that dollhouse story was especially pretty good.

I love that head becomes 1:1 scale, and then she shoves it back in the dollhouse lol. Probably would have been screwed if she didn't do that. XD

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Just finished watching the first episode of Creepshow and I liked both stories except the second one could have had a better ending imo.

I was expecting that whatever happened in the doll house would eventually happen to the family. Of course it would be boring to just go through all of it again but I think ending the story by showing the parents in bed and the kid on the couch would have been a cool ending.
Unless I missed something they didn't show any signs of that though. The big head was cool but she shoved it right into the doll house so I don't see this as a reason to assume something is gonna happen to them.

Nevertheless an awesome story. I liked the first one a bit more.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. First segment: meh. Felt kinda rushed. Second segment was great, and legit creepy.

And was
the Native American doll supposed to be a throwback to Old Chief WoodNhead from the first segment of Creepshow 2?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at HHN. We've done all the mazes. The Creepshow one was so well done. They nailed that moldy corpse smell in the Grey Matter segment

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorta movie related but not really: Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood was really fun. Surprisingly I think the two original concept mazes (Holidayz in Hell and Pandora's Box) were some of the best done houses of the night, but I'm mostly just gonna talk about the licensed property houses (Us, Killer Klownz from Outer Space, Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, Stranger Things, Creepshow, Ghostbusters, and House of 1000 Corpses)

The Us maze straight up follows the progression of the movie, so this is gonna be one of those mazes where you want to watch the movie first before you go to get the best experience out of it. Starts in the hall of mirrors and works its way all the way through the major movie scenes. Could've used a few more actors running around inside but the set design was dead on

Creepshow is the other maze that you'll get the most out of with knowledge of it. This maze was based on the first movie and the Shudder series (specifically Father's Day, The Crate, and They're Creeping Up On You from the movie and Gray Matter and Bad Wolf Down from the show, and the latter hasn't come out yet but I think I know the twist now). Entire mazes was modeled like you were entering a comic book, with the covers of each story appearing as an introduction before you walk in. The four I have knowledge on were incredibly accurate, and I think The Crate and Gray Matter were done the best as far as effects work goes. You're effectively passing through climactic scenes in each of those stories. I would've liked to see The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verill done but that was probably too close to Gray Matter in look and feel.

Killer Klownz from Outer Space was a bright and fun maze. They had the old dude looking for his dog from the intro outside and every so often he'd play out the intro of the movie. The interior of their ship smelled like candy and they had the accurate costumes and everything. It was really fun. They also had a lot of water effects which resulted in me get sprayed in the back by a baby clown hiding in a toilet.

It's been a while since I've seen House of 1000 Corpses and every time I try to rewatch I end up ducking out of it, but from what I remember of the movie this was pretty accurate. Starts in Captain Spaulding's serial killer museum/gas station/chicken restaurant, transitions to the Firefly family's house where you pass by all their torture shit with the cheerleaders and people in rabbit suits, and ends in their weird mutant cave. The line for this one was the shortest but it was still pretty good.

Ghostbusters felt like an amalgam of Ghostbusters 1 and 2 but it was clearly supposed to be based on 1. They have all the stuff with their firehouse and the containment breach, a cool effect with the librarian turning into the monster form, Slimer in the hotel, Zuul and Gozer, and the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. The parts of 2 that were put in were the two ghost brothers from the trial scene. Probably the least scary because Ghostbusters but scarier than anything based on Ghostbusters would be expected to be.

Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman was tied with Creepshow for my favorite. It was really damn cool how many setpieces you're able to go through and what they're able to do with this story. The effects were spot, as were the costumes. I don't have much to say other than was just a really fun maze.

Stranger Things might've been my least favorite maze just because it felt a little empty. It was based mostly on season 2 with a small part at the end based on season 3, so there were a lot of demodogs and the upside-down and whatnot. iirc this was the only one of the mazes to be in a soundstage and not in a tent, so they take advantage of the space that they have. I just wish there were more actors, or more variation.

Anyone have any opinions on the Malevolence series? Is it worth checking out?
I thought you were talking about the Netflix movie Malevolent and I was about to warn you away.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
To everyone that lives in Arizona and has ever wondered if they could survive being hunted by Jason Voorhees, I have a treat for you!

Survive Jason

It's easy to yell at dumb people in a horror film, but what would you actually do if you were in their shoes? On Pins and Needles is giving fans a chance to test their survival skills against one of the most infamous horror icons of all-time – Jason. The event company is currently hosting F13: Survive Jason, a live-action game that requires participants to solve puzzles and escape the hockey mask wearing killer.
It's a year-round attraction that moves around, and right now it's based in the Arizona woods near Flagstaff and Prescott. The interest obviously increases during spooky season and tickets are already sold out for September and October. But November and December dates should be released soon, so Friday the 13thfanatics might want to follow the F13: Survive Jason Facebook page so they can jump on those tickets stat.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Until you find out your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate burned him alive.

Now he's gonna pull a Candyman and come after you just because you're giving him a hard time

That connection is too weak to bring Freddy in my life.

And you still generally have to be in close proximity to Springwood