• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I got my imported Midsommar Director's Cut Bluray from the UK today! Can't wait to watch this baby again.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I've been trying to figure out what a Dracula movie I saw when I was a kid is;

I recall it being in black and white. All I remember is it opens with Dracula already dead. His skeletal remains are being transported in a coffin on a horse drawn carriage. There's a wooden stake in the skeleton's rib cage which is keeping him dead. Somehow the carriage crashes and the coffin is ejected. The stake is removed and the corpse beings to regenerate until he is resurrected.

I thought maybe I was misremembering it being black and white and maybe it being a Hammer sequel, but I'm almost done those and it doesn't look like it'll be one of them. I haven't gotten to the sequels for Universal's Dracula, but it doesn't sound like one of those either.

Anyone have any ideas, or have I totally made this movie up in my head?

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even seen so much as a trailer for Gallows Act II and it's been it for weeks. Only reason it got made at all was because the first made 430 times its budget of 100k

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to figure out what a Dracula movie I saw when I was a kid is;

I recall it being in black and white. All I remember is it opens with Dracula already dead. His skeletal remains are being transported in a coffin on a horse drawn carriage. There's a wooden stake in the skeleton's rib cage which is keeping him dead. Somehow the carriage crashes and the coffin is ejected. The stake is removed and the corpse beings to regenerate until he is resurrected.

I thought maybe I was misremembering it being black and white and maybe it being a Hammer sequel, but I'm almost done those and it doesn't look like it'll be one of them. I haven't gotten to the sequels for Universal's Dracula, but it doesn't sound like one of those either.

Anyone have any ideas, or have I totally made this movie up in my head?

Sounds like "House of Frankenstein". I clearly remember him coming back from a skeletal state after stake removal.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Nice! Picked the set up last week but haven't gotten around to watching them yet. Really hoping for a nice looking new transfer for Ring 1 + 2.

I only bought the original (not a fan of the rest of the films) but I believe that the other movies use the existing HD masters and were not given new restorations but they should be miles better than what we previously got. Man, though! Arrow's 4K restoration of the original is gorgeous!

Anyway, here's a pic of my Ring collection because I'm a weirdo for this damn movie:

ringcollection.png

Not pictured is my copy of 'Ringu' on VHS. I will never get rid of that. lol

Last edited:

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much interest the Black Christmas remake remake might generate round these parts, but I had to sit through the trailer before Zombieland Double Tap the other night and it's guaranteed to win the Most Spoiler Filled Trailer Of The Year award. If there's a major plot point they left out I'd be very surprised. Still, it does look better than the first remake (though that's not saying much).

Zombieland DT was highly entertaining anyway.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much interest the Black Christmas remake remake might generate round these parts, but I had to sit through the trailer before Zombieland Double Tap the other night and it's guaranteed to win the Most Spoiler Filled Trailer Of The Year award. If there's a major plot point they left out I'd be very surprised. Still, it does look better than the first remake (though that's not saying much).

Zombieland DT was highly entertaining anyway.
I saw the trailer a month or two ago attached to something (Ready or Not maybe?). I liked the first Black Christmas remake. This one doesn't look so much like a remake as a movie about a cult on some campus in the winter they arbitrarily decided to call Black Christmas. Agreed with you on the trailer though. I'll still probably still see it, but I almost feel like I can write a full review after just watching the trailer.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Really enjoyed Zombieland 2.

Felt like they found a perfect balance between call backs to the first film without feeling like it was just retreading it and new material. Madison was a great addition. Felt like Abigail was the only active that aged in 10 years lol. The after credit scene was awesome.

8/10

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
All Hallows Eve 3 might be one of the worst films I've ever seen. Its just so amateur and low budget. All the actors must have been friends of the director. They probably didnt bsck a proper mic because the audio on voices is just bizarre. Their is no redeeming qualities. Not even a so bad it's good.

0/10

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping to see some horror movies on-sale this Black Friday. October may be over but the ride never ends.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

So this is a movie I've been waiting to watch for years. It's been at various indie film festivals with mixed reactions but the premise is pretty cool (a killer film surrounded in secrecy framed by a mockumentary) and the Who is Mr. Tom series by the creators took some surprising turns so that gives me hope for Antrum.

Edit: Just finished. If I don't post again after the next few days or so you'll know the movie lived up to its promise but overall yeah, I liked it. It's best to go in knowing as little as possible but I'd compare it to something like a modern fairy tale... one of the fucked-up ones. Even if the Cigarette Burns gimmick doesn't appeal to you it only really takes up a small amount of the runtime and the actual Antrum is interesting in an experimental, dark fairy tale sorta way so it that sounds neat you could do worse for a $5 rental.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw Doctor Sleep. I thought it was great.

Few things: I've read The Shining and seen the Kubrick version. I've always held that it's a good movie but not a good adaptation. King and most fans of the book seem to agree. I haven't finished Doctor Sleep but I knew the movie was a sequel to the Kubrick Shining, not a direct adaptation of the book, and as a result there would have to be some changes made because the Shining movie ends in a very different place from the book. And honestly I think they handled that in an extremely interesting and clever way. Acting is great, I was invested in the stories of the characters (missed an obvious Obi-Wan "I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND" joke but whatever)

As a result I'd rank this among the better Stephen King adaptations. They had a lot on their plate trying to make a faithful adaptation of a sequel to a book that uses the unfaithful adaptation as a base and I think they pulled it off.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Is this to go with the new take on Invisible Man or are they gonna make him even more corpselike like the Hammer films?

Does this imply "Dark Universe" is back on the table and they're putting Wan in charge?

Also Z-Beat, totally agree with your take on Doctor Sleep. I thought it was great and that it tied itself both to the book and film of The Shining in some interesting and really well thought out ways. I will admit that during the first 30 minutes or so of the movie it jumped around so much that I had a couple of moments of "Ok... so what's this movie supposed to be about?". Plus I've somehow managed to keep myself in the dark regarding the plot of Doctor Sleep since the book came out, so the main thrust of the plot caught me a bit off guard as
psychic vampires
was about the last place I expected the plot of a sequel to The Shining to go.

Some of my friends absolutely loathed it though. To be fair a couple of them had already read the book and hated it as well.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does this imply "Dark Universe" is back on the table and they're putting Wan in charge?

Also Z-Beat, totally agree with your take on Doctor Sleep. I thought it was great and that it tied itself both to the book and film of The Shining in some interesting and really well thought out ways. I will admit that during the first 30 minutes or so of the movie it jumped around so much that I had a couple of moments of "Ok... so what's this movie supposed to be about?". Plus I've somehow managed to keep myself in the dark regarding the plot of Doctor Sleep since the book came out, so the main thrust of the plot caught me a bit off guard as
psychic vampires
was about the last place I expected the plot of a sequel to The Shining to go.

Some of my friends absolutely loathed it though. To be fair a couple of them had already read the book and hated it as well.
I'm not that far into the book but already I'm seeing some of the moments that they translated and had to change

Andi the Snake was 32 in the books when she joined up, not 15 like in the movie, because Dick got axed in the Kubrick version, when he visits Danny in the movie he's a ghost. In the book, Wendy called him to talk to Danny, and also she was aware of the woman in the bathtub. And Rose has different people with her when they're spying on Andi in the theater.

And I'm not fully sure on the Dark Universe thing. It'd be interesting if it's just a continuation and not another reboot.

Last edited:

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not that far into the book but already I'm seeing some of the moments that they translated and had to change

Andi the Snake was 32 in the books when she joined up, not 15 like in the movie, because Dick got axed in the Kubrick version, when he visits Danny in the movie he's a ghost. In the book, Wendy called him to talk to Danny, and also she was aware of the woman in the bathtub. And Rose has different people with her when they're spying on Andi in the theater.

And I'm not fully sure on the Dark Universe thing. It'd be interesting if it's just a continuation and not another reboot.

Interesting, thanks. I'll get around to reading the book one of these days (already own it), but I've been lazy as hell when it comes to reading for a good long while.

Having Andi the Snake 32 is definitely different. Assuming she's just more of a general wacko in the book then, as targeting pedophiles wouldn't really work at that age. I actually thought that character was fairly well done in the movie. Having her 15 kind of accentuates that grasp for eternal youth, and makes how she ended up ultimately more depressing.

Also, not having read the Doctor Sleep book (but knowing The Shining, both book and film, pretty well), I thought the way they dealt with Hallorann in the movie was kind of clever. Having him come into the film as a apparition Danny was talking to could have jived with both the book and the film (as in it was ambiguous as to whether Dick was communicating with Danny psychically from this plane, or from beyond the grave). It makes sense that Wendy would be aware of the woman in the bathtub in the book but not the movie (in the first book, it was implied she was sensitive IIRC, whereas there was nothing that led you to believe that in the Kubrick film). The only thing that really couldn't work with both the book and the film was the Overlook existing as more than a pile of rubble. I did appreciate how they called back to the book again with the boiler stuff though. All in all, I thought they did a decent job making a film which was able to straddle the differences between the different versions of The Shining.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, thanks. I'll get around to reading the book one of these days (already own it), but I've been lazy as hell when it comes to reading for a good long while.

Having Andi the Snake 32 is definitely different. Assuming she's just more of a general wacko in the book then, as targeting pedophiles wouldn't really work at that age. I actually thought that character was fairly well done in the movie. Having her 15 kind of accentuates that grasp for eternal youth, and makes how she ended up ultimately more depressing.

Also, not having read the Doctor Sleep book (but knowing The Shining, both book and film, pretty well), I thought the way they dealt with Hallorann in the movie was kind of clever. Having him come into the film as a apparition Danny was talking to could have jived with both the book and the film (as in it was ambiguous as to whether Dick was communicating with Danny psychically from this plane, or from beyond the grave). It makes sense that Wendy would be aware of the woman in the bathtub in the book but not the movie (in the first book, it was implied she was sensitive IIRC, whereas there was nothing that led you to believe that in the Kubrick film). The only thing that really couldn't work with both the book and the film was the Overlook existing as more than a pile of rubble. I did appreciate how they called back to the book again with the boiler stuff though. All in all, I thought they did a decent job making a film which was able to straddle the differences between the different versions of The Shining.
In the book, Andi has a fucked up history of sexual assault, so by the time she's 32 she's convinced herself that pretty much every dude on the planet deserves to get got. Like there's a line in the book where, when she steals the wallet of the dude in the theater, she sees the picture of him with his wife and kids and she's like "He probably raped all of them."

Wendy's aware of the woman in the bathtub in the book because Danny tells her not to go in there before he goes silent for a while, and she left weird dead people residue on the toilet and shower curtain. Apparently when a fucked up ghost refuses to cross over, they literally feed on Shining. So same as the vampires but with ghosts.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I guess this could be a good thread to ask about Midsommar Director's Cut. Is it worth it for someone who hasn't seen the film yet, or should I go with the theatrical cut?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this could be a good thread to ask about Midsommar Director's Cut. Is it worth it for someone who hasn't seen the film yet, or should I go with the theatrical cut?
Director's Cut is all I'll watch going forward. It has two big scenes added that I love; a long and very well done scene between the two central characters that shines extra light on a plot point I felt needed a bit more attention in the theatrical cut, and an entire extra ritual performed by the Harga.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Director's Cut is all I'll watch going forward. It has two big scenes added that I love; a long and very well done scene between the two central characters that shines extra light on a plot point I felt needed a bit more attention in the theatrical cut, and an entire extra ritual performed by the Harga.
Thanks! I think we will go with that one too, sounds good. As I recall Pugh got a lot of praise for her perfomance, so the first big scene you mention sounds like something I might not want to miss.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
In the book, Andi has a fucked up history of sexual assault, so by the time she's 32 she's convinced herself that pretty much every dude on the planet deserves to get got. Like there's a line in the book where, when she steals the wallet of the dude in the theater, she sees the picture of him with his wife and kids and she's like "He probably raped all of them."

Wendy's aware of the woman in the bathtub in the book because Danny tells her not to go in there before he goes silent for a while, and she left weird dead people residue on the toilet and shower curtain. Apparently when a fucked up ghost refuses to cross over, they literally feed on Shining. So same as the vampires but with ghosts.

Thanks for this. I think I might have to bump the book up on my reading list while the movie is still fresh in my mind.

Thanks! I think we will go with that one too, sounds good. As I recall Pugh got a lot of praise for her perfomance, so the first big scene you mention sounds like something I might not want to miss.

Yeah, I second this. Loved the director's cut. It really fleshed out some ideas and pulled you deeper into the mood of the film. The theatrical cut is already a slow burn, and the director's cut doesn't really add that much in the way of running time (what's another 25 minutes when you're talking about a movie that's already 2 and 1/2 hours). The theatrical cut is great too if it's your only option (I believe the director's cut is locked to Apple TV in NA for now), but the director's cut would be my preferred version.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To no one's surprise, the 2nd Black Christmas remake is bad. Its heart is in the right place but boy does it not execute well

Last edited:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody seen Anna and the Apocalypse? Recommended
It's fun. Has some legitimately good musical songs in the first half and a super hateable villain. I found myself actually caring for characters who got bitten and became zombies so there's that going for it.
I watched it primarily hoping it would have a more christmasy setting but beyond a few cursory setpieces it didn't.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

but why would you purposefully take your little brother to hell?

Anyway, I finally got around to watching "Us". I'm sort of notorious for never figuring out movie twists (honestly, I think it makes movies more enjoyable for me), but I figured out the twist in the first five minutes. In fact, it seemed so obvious at the time that I decided it couldn't possibly be the twist and I just ignored it.

Movie was entertaining but the concept seemed really half-baked compared to Get Out, so disappointing overall.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Has anybody seen Anna and the Apocalypse? Recommended?

I hated it. I'm not going to go into too much detail because it's been ages since I've seen it, but aside from one or two catchy songs and an okay cast, I didn't find it terribly exciting. I didn't feel they did a good song of integrating the songs into the narrative naturally and it often felt like the movie was just stopping for the musical numbers instead of progressing along.

I thought it was okay for maybe the first half, but it just wore me down as it went. The final nail in the coffin was that I absolutely loathed the ending. I won't get into it because of spoilers, but it really soured me on the few things I did like and I have no plans to ever revisit it. It's a shame too, I was really looking forward to it. Oh well, maybe the next Christmas zombie musical will be more to my liking.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Did you know they're remaking The Grudge?

It's not actually a remake apparently, it's a new movie in the series. Supposedly it takes place in America at the same time the original Grudge is taking place in Japan. The red band trailer that came out last week actually looks pretty good too.

Interested to see how they're going to integrate the Japanese stuff with wherever they're going with the new plot.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not actually a remake apparently, it's a new movie in the series. Supposedly it takes place in America at the same time the original Grudge is taking place in Japan. The red band trailer that came out last week actually looks pretty good too.

Interested to see how they're going to integrate the Japanese stuff with wherever they're going with the new plot.

Ah so it's that kind of reboot. That's nuts. It looks okay but the January release date doesn't fill me with much hope. January is where most horror goes to die, but we've had a couple gems (I think Happy Death Day was January) so maybe there's a chance. Sam Raimi producing is a decent sign.

I was worried because I didn't see commercials for it until today but if the trailer just dropped last week that'd explain the silence

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Ah so it's that kind of reboot. That's nuts. It looks okay but the January release date doesn't fill me with much hope. January is where most horror goes to die, but we've had a couple gems (I think Happy Death Day was January) so maybe there's a chance. Sam Raimi producing is a decent sign.

I was worried because I didn't see commercials for it until today but if the trailer just dropped last week that'd explain the silence

Agreed. I'm not so sure about the release date either. There was an initial trailer about a month ago (before the red band one) that also looked OK, but the red band one specifically seems to be creating a fair amount of buzz. Yeah, Raimi producing, Lin Shaye looking creepy, trailer that doesn't give away the whole plot in 2 minutes, all signs are looking good so far!

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
So this is going to be sort of an odd question. Does anyone have a desire for a Texas Frightmare VIP ticket next year? My friend bought one and they're apparently non-refundable which sucks because he can't actually leave work that weekend. They can be transferred but he doesn't really know anyone who would want to buy it. He just wants the base ticket value for it. It's a VIP ticket I know.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
To no one's surprise, the 2nd Black Christmas remake is bad. Its heart is in the right place but boy does it not execute well

Saw this last night as well, and I've got to say I agree. I was actually OK with it for about the first 1/2, even if the script was a little clunky. I appreciated what it was trying to do, and there was some decent style in a couple of the stalking scenes. Then the twist hit. Followed by possibly the worst expository dialog I've ever seen in a horror movie. It just went off the rails spectacularly. I didn't have a problem with the politics of the movie at all, it was just a very poor script that could have probably used a couple more passes. After all I'd have to say I liked the 2006 remake a fair amount more than this one. If you can even really call this one a remake.