• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It was special before, but now it's really special.
IlXqEpf.png

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Admittedly I'm not very good at Twitter, but what happened exactly? I understand it has to do with an artist?
I didn't go too far down their feed, but looks like they posted some art from an etsy account and didn't credit them.

It's essentially taking someone's work and presenting it as your own for likes/follows etc

He then quintupled down on it by playing the victim and said that he doesn't want to "look like an advert" and that people telling him to credit the artist are attacking him

Admittedly I'm not very good at Twitter, but what happened exactly? I understand it has to do with an artist?

Yeah. I'd seen them (@RareHorror) through Gingernuts of Horror recently, and I saw a big surge in mentions of them on my feed, so I had a gander. It seems they often tweet artwork/horror-related crafts on their Twitter, but they don't say where they got them from. No link, no artist name, nothing. When asked, they said it's because it would come across like an ad...something they apparently charge for. This was in regards to a woman who does cross-stitch and had done a really cool one of Samara from The Ring. When someone asked where it was from (presumably because they were interested in buying one), the whole non-crediting thing came out and people tracked down the creator (an artist selling this stuff on Etsy) and told her. She joined Twitter to see what was going on and in DMs she thanked them for the exposure, but said that they should probably credit people moving forward.

Not sure what came first, the DMs of that conversation coming out or @RealHorror being dicks about it when people started tweeting at them to credit stuff they posted, but it became something of a drubbing and @RealHorror took it to the next level and started slagging people off which culminated in them running a competition where they said only people who weren't following two other big horror sites could join bc it felt those sites were being mean to it over the artist thing.

And then it apparently sent that message I put in my link to the artist this morning... They are currently losing followers in droves and it's blowing up again.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Yeah. I'd seen them (@RareHorror) through Gingernuts of Horror recently, and I saw a big surge in mentions of them on my feed, so I had a gander. It seems they often tweet artwork/horror-related crafts on their Twitter, but they don't say where they got them from. No link, no artist name, nothing. When asked, they said it's because it would come across like an ad...something they apparently charge for. This was in regards to a woman who does cross-stitch and had done a really cool one of Samara from The Ring. When someone asked where it was from (presumably because they were interested in buying one), the whole non-crediting thing came out and people tracked down the creator (an artist selling this stuff on Etsy) and told her. She joined Twitter to see what was going on and in DMs she thanked them for the exposure, but said that they should probably credit people moving forward.

Not sure what came first, the DMs of that conversation coming out or @RealHorror being dicks about it when people started tweeting at them to credit stuff they posted, but it became something of a drubbing and @RealHorror took it to the next level and started slagging people off which culminated in them running a competition where they said only people who weren't following two other big horror sites could join bc it felt those sites were being mean to it over the artist thing.

And then it apparently sent that message I put in my link to the artist this morning... They are currently losing followers in droves and it's blowing up again.
For another recent example, check out Elon Musk

I don't want to give the guy attention because quite frankly I think he's a dick but it only happened a few days ago and he's famous

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I didn't go too far down their feed, but looks like they posted some art from an etsy account and didn't credit them.

It's essentially taking someone's work and presenting it as your own for likes/follows etc

He then quintupled down on it by playing the victim and said that he doesn't want to "look like an advert" and that people telling him to credit the artist are attacking him

Oh I see. Thanks! So this is the context behind that conversation screenshot.

And yeah, the people behind RareHorror does come out as VERY big jerks...

For another recent example, check out Elon Musk

I don't want to give the guy attention because quite frankly I think he's a dick but it only happened a few days ago and he's famous

WTF!

Edit: Apparently, crediting artists on Twitter is "destroying the medium"

iekpwhmxjktw48cnx3ta.jpg

Last edited:

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Oh I see. Thanks! So this is the context behind that conversation screenshot.

And yeah, the people behind RareHorror does come out as VERY big jerks...

WTF!

Edit: Apparently, crediting artists on Twitter is "destroying the medium"

iekpwhmxjktw48cnx3ta.jpg
Ye the Musk stuff is both the funniest and saddest attention seeking I've seen in a long time, he went full on teen emo and made his profile pic black etc

Hoping people will stop giving him the attention he so clearly craves but haha as if that will happen

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Hey Horror Era, your boy is officially on Letterboxd to be torn to shreds. My film, Cat Sick Blues Sick Blues has a page (there's also a link to watch the thirteen minute short as well):

https://letterboxd.com/film/cat-sick-blues-sick-blues/

csbsbposternakxd.jpg

Congrats on your movie!! I'll definitely check it out as soon as I have a chance!

Is it related to the other cat movie (I think it was also titled Cat Sick Blues?) you were talking about a few months back?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just saw Brightburn and boy was it bad. Such a cool concept that was ruined by some absolutely terrible writing. Sheesh, the pacing, characters and dialogue was all terrible.

Feel like this would have worked a lot better as a mini series or something.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Did anybody see Child's Play yet?
I've heard a few people going in and they were surprised by how good it was. I was gonna watch it when it's out on Blu-Ray but if it's that good I might consider seeing it in a theater.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Did it have any redeemable qualities as a horror film at least?

Yeah, it's got some surprisingly gory moments.

Did anybody see Child's Play yet?
I've heard a few people going in and they were surprised by how good it was. I was gonna watch it when it's out on Blu-Ray but if it's that good I might consider seeing it in a theater.

Just saw this tonight to and wow... like honestly I was expecting it to be ass, the whole robot angle sounded so shit when I heard about it but this film is easily the best childs play movie to date (maybe that's not so difficult though) and the new technology angle works really well.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Yeah, it's got some surprisingly gory moments.

Just saw this tonight to and wow... like honestly I was expecting it to be ass, the whole robot angle sounded so shit when I heard about it but this film is easily the best childs play movie to date (maybe that's not so difficult though) and the new technology angle works really well.

What?!? Oh man. I need to go

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Saw Child's Play tonight and it was surprisingly good. Loved the new origin of Chucky and the AI gone bad (or in this case, AI without boundaries) angle. Modern remakes of classics often fail when they try to change too much, but for some reason this worked for me. I think for starters, it didn't try to shoehorn in cameos or key set pieces from the original. This Chucky is it's own and it works because of that.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Vacancy (2007) last night. It was...really dull. I didn't find it tense or creepy, they dragged a very basic formula on and on with barely anything notable happening, and then the film just...ended. Bleh.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Hey Horror Era, your boy is officially on Letterboxd to be torn to shreds. My film, Cat Sick Blues Sick Blues has a page (there's also a link to watch the thirteen minute short as well):

https://letterboxd.com/film/cat-sick-blues-sick-blues/

csbsbposternakxd.jpg

So Kinggroin, I could watch your short movie yesterday evening. I liked it! It's a nice introspection on obsessive fandom. It was very interesting.

It's clearly a passion project, and I can't help but feel I'm missing something by never having seen Cat Sick Blues. I really need to rectify this one way or another.

And I'm curious, what did you use to film this?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
So Kinggroin, I could watch your short movie yesterday evening. I liked it! It's a nice introspection on obsessive fandom. It was very interesting.

It's clearly a passion project, and I can't help but feel I'm missing something by never having seen Cat Sick Blues. I really need to rectify this one way or another.

And I'm curious, what did you use to film this?

A shitty smartphone camera (OnePlus 6T) and an old Canon Rebel I already owned.

Yeah, it was originally intended to be a private film because of it's inside-joke nature ties to Cat Sick Blues. But encouraging words from that film's Director pushed me to adjust some things for context and share it.

I think had I created it knowing it'd be a public thing, I'd have better constructed the narrative to frame the CSB context. As it stands, it should at the very least be obvious that I'm obsessed and delusional over...something, haha.

I may have mentioned it before, but if you ask the director directly in Letterboxd, there's a good chance he'll hook you up with a screener of Cat Sick Blues — so long as you promise to leave a review on the site.

Otherwise, it's in Amazon Prime, and totally worth the watch.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Which, if any, Saw movies should I watch?
Just watch all of them in order of release. If you don't want to watch all of them, watching Saw 1 to 3 is a good choice too and then more if you still feel like it.
Yep. 1, 2, and 3 are the best the franchise has to offer. If after that you want more gore or somehow got attached to a character keep going. 7 (AKA 3D) has a nice full circle resolution to the overarching plot which I appreciated.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
So how are the Subspecies movies?
Am I going to hate myself if I watch the first 3?

Edit: And if I do watch them, do I need to watch the 4th? It doesn't seem to be on BD.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Child's Play. It's probably more entertaining than the original, though not trying to be as scary. Sorta like Krampus or IT where it bounces. Mark Hamill does a great job with this interpretation. Practical effects are good. Aubrey Plaza is a good actress but a bad single mom. Solid 7-8 out of 10

Also, his origin is more grounded in this movie, yet somehow sillier.

Which, if any, Saw movies should I watch?
1, 2, 3, then skip all the way to Saw 6, or whichever the one before Jigsaw was

Edit: ah, 7 then

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I watched the new Pet Sematary this evening. And honestly, why do a remake when it's to redo the exact same thing? It's nearly the same movie as the original apart from some small deviations, and maybe edited a bit differently. The only significant difference is the ending, but I didn't felt it was better nor worse than the original.

If you like Pet Sematary to begin with, the new one is not bad, but why bother? Go see the new 4K rerelease of the 1989 original instead. At least this one has a funny Stephen King cameo in it.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The only significant difference is the ending, but I didn't felt it was better nor worse than the original.
The only significant difference? They changed the zombie kid to Ellie which was huge, largely cause it was less creepy and made Gage into a pointless character.
I thought it was far worse. They even managed to make Zelda somehow not as frightening.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The only significant difference? They changed the zombie kid to Ellie which was huge, largely cause it was less creepy and made Gage into a pointless character.
I thought it was far worse. They even managed to make Zelda somehow not as frightening.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I just didn't felt that changing the kid that died made a huge difference in the movie. I guess I was just bored with the whole thing.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was not impressed with the PS remake. I had built up the Zelda scenes pretty highly in my mind and they ended up disappointing imo.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Recent watches:

Hagazussa was fascinating. Beautifully shot and immaculately reserved in its conception, it's incredibly slow and atmospheric so if that's not your thing you won't enjoy this. There so little plot to speak of, so it's almost more like period slice of life witch and isolation horror? I'll never watch it again but it was lovely and disgusting and worth checking out once.

Summer of '84: The basic plot sounds pretty by-the-numbers as on the surface this is Rear Window starring the Stand By Me kids in the 80s. It was solid and watchable up until the final act when it went places I absolutely did not expect from the film at all considering the tone up to that point and the usual plots in this subgenre.

The Crazies: I've always thought the poster for this was intriguing but never got around to it until now. Great concept and the overall plot is serviceable if wraught with bad dialogue and forgettable, unlikable characters. Tons of repeated actions as well. Twice did somebody get sent outside to inspect something only for the real danger to be back in the house. I think it was at least four times that somebody was saved at the very last second by somebody shooting one of the infected. That said, there were some EXCELLENT setpieces with the sick bay that featured the pitchfork from the poster being a standout. The BEST was the car wash scene though. Legitimately claustrophobic and terrifying it easily stands among the best sequences I've seen in a horror movie recently.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Recent watches:

Summer of '84: The basic plot sounds pretty by-the-numbers as on the surface this is Rear Window starring the Stand By Me kids in the 80s. It was solid and watchable up until the final act when it went places I absolutely did not expect from the film at all considering the tone up to that point and the usual plots in this subgenre.

The Crazies: I've always thought the poster for this was intriguing but never got around to it until now. Great concept and the overall plot is serviceable if wraught with bad dialogue and forgettable, unlikable characters. Tons of repeated actions as well. Twice did somebody get sent outside to inspect something only for the real danger to be back in the house. I think it was at least four times that somebody was saved at the very last second by somebody shooting one of the infected. That said, there were some EXCELLENT setpieces with the sick bay that featured the pitchfork from the poster being a standout. The BEST was the car wash scene though. Legitimately claustrophobic and terrifying it easily stands among the best sequences I've seen in a horror movie recently.

The ending of Summer of 84 blew my mind, was not expecting it at all.

Did you watch the original crazies or the remake?

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Recent watches:

Hagazussa was fascinating. Beautifully shot and immaculately reserved in its conception, it's incredibly slow and atmospheric so if that's not your thing you won't enjoy this. There so little plot to speak of, so it's almost more like period slice of life witch and isolation horror? I'll never watch it again but it was lovely and disgusting and worth checking out once.

It's a pretty unigue film, and eventhough I enjoyed it a lot it's unlikely I'll ever watch it again. I got to see it in a theater, and the way the film amplified sounds like breathing and smacking really added to the experience, and made it even more grotesque.

EDIT: Here's an intriguing piece I found by googling, after I watched the film.

Where does the term 'hedge witch' come from and what does it actually mean? If you begin to research this question, you are likely to come across two popular answers:

a) Hedge witch is a term coined by Rae Beth in her 1990 book Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft. It describes a solitary practitioner of a Wicca-like religion. According to Beth :

This is rather like the old-time village wise woman or wise man: one who 'knows' and worships the Goddess and her consort, the Horned God; one who practices spellcraft for the purposes of healing and teaches the mysteries.

or – b) Hedge witch is derived from the Old High German 'hagazussa' via the Anglo-Saxon 'hægtesse' and means 'hedge rider' – referring not to a physical boundary hedge, but a metaphysical one. I first came across this definition on Dawn Jackson's site in the early 2000s and have since found it reflected in subsequent books and websites on traditional witchcraft. Sarah Anne Lawless states:

The word hedgewitch comes from the Saxon word haegtessa meaning 'hedge-rider'. The hedge in hedge witchery is not a fence of shrubs and wildlife, but instead represents the border between our material world and the otherworld – the unknown.

Last edited:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm two episodes away from finishing AMC's The Terror and loving it. Period naval Arctic horror with the tiniest splash of supernatural. Really looking forward to season 2!

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Did any of you saw the new trailer for the Jacob's Ladder remake?

I actually had no idea they were doing a remake, I learned about it today. And I'm not sure what to think about this.

The original is such a masterpiece, and is actually aging very well. The writing and cinematography are full of small details that make every rewatch so satisfying. From the look of the new trailer, I'm not sure the remake is heading in that direction. Of course, it's only a trailer, but still... I'm not sure they'll succeed in recreating the magic of the original movie. I guess we'll see.

Edit: The director is David M. Rosenthal. Anybody heard of him?

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Saw Child's Play. It's probably more entertaining than the original, though not trying to be as scary. Sorta like Krampus or IT where it bounces. Mark Hamill does a great job with this interpretation. Practical effects are good. Aubrey Plaza is a good actress but a bad single mom. Solid 7-8 out of 10

Also, his origin is more grounded in this movie, yet somehow sillier.

1, 2, 3, then skip all the way to Saw 6, or whichever the one before Jigsaw was

Edit: ah, 7 then
Don't skip 6. It's still the best of the movies released after 3.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just saw Midsommar.. what a fucking trip that movie is. Made me feel like I had taken drugs. Great use of silence and overly bright to environments to make you feel uncomfortable and discombobulated.

Still digesting it all but it was certainly an experience.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Just saw Midsommar.. what a fucking trip that movie is. Made me feel like I had taken drugs. Great use of silence and overly bright to environments to make you feel uncomfortable and discombobulated.

Still digesting it all but it was certainly an experience.
I just got back from seeing it too! Man that was an incredible film. I loved it!