• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Scary Stories today! It was cute, some really great practical effects. A bit too much reliance on jump scares. I'd see the sequel in theaters.

I knew because one of the episodes about a button that kills someone you don't know became a movie
The Box! It's actually not atrocious. Cameron Diaz has a weird attempt at a southern accent in it though for some reason.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Scary Stories today! It was cute, some really great practical effects. A bit too much reliance on jump scares. I'd see the sequel in theaters.

The Box! It's actually not atrocious. Cameron Diaz has a weird attempt at a southern accent in it though for some reason.
Yeah, it had the same story as this episode (up until a certain point anyway)

Almost as weird as that Goosebumps episode they made into an Adam Sandler movie
goosebumps.fandom.com

Click/TV episode

"Click" is the fifth episode of season three of the Goosebumps TV series, and the forty-ninth episode overall. It premiered on September 27, 1997, on Fox during the Fox Kids block. Dan Warry-Smith as Seth Gold Trevor Ralph as Kevin Kertz Tabitha Lupien as Jamie Gold Gary Pearson as Mr. Gold...

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a yuuuuuuuuuge fan of a specific horror series. If you can guess it, you win free internet cookies. Have a couple hints.

part2bpkco.jpg

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best, just behind the first one for me. Heather Langenkamp is very good.

The worst of the whole series is definitely the second one, though...

I don't think 2 is bad, it's just too different. It became a possession story but the story behind the making of the film is really interesting. It truly could be the gayest horror film of all time and I can't wait to see the documentary about it, by lead actor Mark Patton.

Best sequel IMO is 4. Beautiful metaphor for overcoming bullying, and some of the best kills ever. Screaming Mad George went mad on those practical effects.

6 is funny, but it gets too much shit for it's comedy. Meanwhile Freddy is using memories of child abuse, and incest to manifest nightmares. It's some heavy shit.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I don't think 2 is bad, it's just too different. It became a possession story but the story behind the making of the film is really interesting. It truly could be the gayest horror film of all time and I can't wait to see the documentary about it, by lead actor Mark Patton.

Best sequel IMO is 4. Beautiful metaphor for overcoming bullying, and some of the best kills ever. Screaming Mad George went mad on those practical effects.

6 is funny, but it gets too much shit for it's comedy. Meanwhile Freddy is using memories of child abuse, and incest to manifest nightmares. It's some heavy shit.

I really need to rewatch 4, 5, and 6. It has been way too long.

Also, as a fan, what are your thoughts about Wes Craven's New Nightmare?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to rewatch 4, 5, and 6. It has been way too long.

Also, as a fan, what are your thoughts about Wes Craven's New Nightmare?

Best one outside of the original, and one of Craven's best movies. It's up there with ANOES and Scream. I just consider it outside of the franchise kinda.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know there was an eighties reboot of the Twilight Zone.

There was a really good episode where a couple get stuck in time and the concept for how each second is built and how it explains how you sometimes temporarily lose objects was clever.

The 80s-90s (Edit: started in 1996) Outer Limits was also good.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Nightmare on elm street series is actually pretty solid. 1, 3 and new nightmare are all legit good movies, the others are all pretty fun.

The 6th one is the weakest but it's not absolutely terrible.

As a series Halloween is easily the weakest, despite having a great first film.

Friday the 13th is pretty solid through the first 7 films.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
1, 3 and new nightmare are all legit good movies, the others are all pretty fun.
This is my opinion on the franchise as well.

I think Friday the 13th remained solid because it wasn't long before they knew what they wanted to go for. 1 and 2 are great. 3 is different imo because of the 3D. And the rest they just wanted to get some good kills in and have fun doing it lol

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best, just behind the first one for me. Heather Langenkamp is very good.

The worst of the whole series is definitely the second one, though...
The cast of 3 was at Midsummer Scream a few weeks ago.

My issue with two is that it's inconsistent with both itself and the rest of the series. It's the Halloween 3 of Nightmare on Elm Street.

I don't care much for 4 although it has the kill that made me cringe in fear the hardest (the roach motel) and it's where the Fat Boys song comes in.

I have a soft spot for 5 because it was one of the first of the series that I watched

6 was always dumb

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I never realized that all three aNoES films that I really like had Wes Craven involved (1,3 and NN)
What a guy

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I like all Nightmare movies, but 2 and 6 are easily my least favorites. 2 is just weird and 6 is so ridiculously goofy it's literally a classic Warner Bros. cartoon at times. I just need to remind you about the video game scene or when Freddy cuts of someone's parachute.

I also really appreciate when horror series don't just change the cast for the sake of it which is why 1, 3, 4, 5 and 7 get bonus points from me because they have recurring characters. 3, 4, 5 is actually a nice little trilogy although 5 is the weakest but I got a soft spot for it because of the athmosphere. These movies have very well done special effects for the time. Remember the first kill in Nightmare 1? They had to build a room which they could rotate to make that happen:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I just finished watching Incident in a Ghostland, a 2018 movie by Pascal Laugier – best known for his New French Extremity movie Martyrs (2008). And honestly, I am seriously very impressed.

There are a lot of horror tropes in there... Right as the movie begins, you start making assumptions about what kind of horror it's gonna be. But all these tropes are handled masterfully, keeping everything from transforming into cliches while always keeping you on the edge of your seat. As soon as you think you figured things out, the movie morphs into something else. It's a home invasion movie. No, it's a ghost movie. No, it changed again...

There are a lot of fun references and homages throughout. Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the Rob Zombie's movies being the most obvious ones.

Something that I really enjoyed was that the big reveal didn't come at the very end just before the credits – like many movies do now – but rather right in the middle. It let us see the characters react to it and continue the story in a very interesting way. I thought it was very masterfully done.

I didn't watch the trailer before starting the movie, I only trusted the reviews and comments on Shudder. And honestly, you should also watch it without having seen anything from it. It's way more enjoyable that way. The trailer kind of give away too much information.

I really enjoyed this movie, I had a really great time. I rate it 4.5 creepy doll heads out of 5.

Last edited:

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I was let down by Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. I thought the trailer was great and it having great reviews on top had me anticipating it.

But it's just so average. Baby's first horror film. The only noteworthy thing is the creature designs but they show literally every single one in the trailer. There's no stand out scenes. It doesnt do anything all that well. Its not bad or anything but I dont think it's a film I would ever revisit and I will hold no lasting impressions from it.

6/10

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Checked out Scream from the library, and just finished watching it. Been a while since I seen it last, and forgot parts of it, but now seeing it again, damn, what an awesome movie. I love how so self aware it is with a whole bunch of horror nods, and it is so 90s! The opening is still top notch, and third act gets crazy good, including a cool twist with the killer. Really enjoyed the characters too, especially Randy and Stu, while Sidney gets to have some badass moments.

Glad to have picked this up again, and maybe someday I will get around to the sequels. XD

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I always liked the Friday the 13th series. Part 7 is great!

I absolutely cannot watch Part 8, though... this one is next level bad!

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like all Nightmare movies, but 2 and 6 are easily my least favorites. 2 is just weird and 6 is so ridiculously goofy it's literally a classic Warner Bros. cartoon at times. I just need to remind you about the video game scene or when Freddy cuts of someone's parachute.

I also really appreciate when horror series don't just change the cast for the sake of it which is why 1, 3, 4, 5 and 7 get bonus points from me because they have recurring characters. 3, 4, 5 is actually a nice little trilogy although 5 is the weakest but I got a soft spot for it because of the athmosphere. These movies have very well done special effects for the time. Remember the first kill in Nightmare 1? They had to build a room which they could rotate to make that happen:

One of my favorite scenes from Nightmare 1. Pulls off the special effect without a hitch.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For Friday the 13th, I think 6 and 7 are my favorites. It's when we get zombie Jason proper

Ready or Not has really good reviews so far. I'm looking forward to it. I didn't watch The Babysitter but I thought Samara Weaving was okay in Ash vs Evil Dead.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Tonight I gave a long overdue rewatch to A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). Pretty sure it's your fault, Dullahan.

It was very good. It's honestly my favorite of the series, and it's miles better than the cartoonish Freddy of the later movies. This movie demonstrates a lot of skills and intelligence, is directed flawlessly, and has a very impressive photography.

I mean, look at that:

wallpaper-530573.jpg

And even the kills are awesome. You can't beat this:

a129e83407e46c162e3024e65f392ee4.gif

giphy.gif

Or this:

2-chhtma.gif

The comedic direction the movies went for later in the series is a serious shame. It's like the other directors completely misunderstood what was great about the series.

Like we discussed earlier, I think the second movie is not good, but the 3rd one is absolutely great. Then there's the 4th movie that might also be somewhat salvageable (it has been too long, I need a rewatch), but it goes downhill very fast for the rest after this one.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why but this was the creepiest thing in the first film to me
giphy.gif

I was let down by Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. I thought the trailer was great and it having great reviews on top had me anticipating it.

But it's just so average. Baby's first horror film. The only noteworthy thing is the creature designs but they show literally every single one in the trailer. There's no stand out scenes. It doesnt do anything all that well. Its not bad or anything but I dont think it's a film I would ever revisit and I will hold no lasting impressions from it.

6/10
Yeah I just got back from it and I think that's a fair score. I'm glad that they knew that the selling point was the creepy-ass illustrations in the books and did their best to bring those to life, and overall I thought they did a great job on that part, but the primary plot holding them all together felt like an afterthought. It's something that would've worked much better as an anthology, and that thought made me realize how dead horror anthologies are. The last anthologies we had in theaters were stuff like Movie 43, Valentine's Day, Crash, and Babel. The closest thing to a horror anthology was probably The Grudge since the stories are only slightly related for the most part. It works well as a kids intro to horror films. I won't complain about the jumpscares because some of them were actually built into the book (The Big Toe story ends with an instruction to jumpscare your audience) so I thought that was somewhat amusing in its accuracy.

Now, who had the best song though

Leprechaun

Freddy

Jason

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Is the VHS series just done?

I quite liked the first two but never got around to watching the third one.

It would be a shame if it was done.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
For Friday the 13th, I think 6 and 7 are my favorites. It's when we get zombie Jason proper

Ready or Not has really good reviews so far. I'm looking forward to it. I didn't watch The Babysitter but I thought Samara Weaving was okay in Ash vs Evil Dead.
Babysitter is excellent and Weaving rules in it

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Anyone else watch The Golem on Netflix?

I thought it was pretty damn good. More of a dark drama than horror, but still, if you like horror The Golem is worth checking out.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, a Five Nights at Freddy's horror movie could be so good, but only as an R to allow the proper amount of body horror that getting stuffed inside a suit not meant for people entails.
228.png

giphy.gif

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The first few reviews of the Jacob's Ladder remake are out, and looks like it might not be good. Who would have thought.

The new Jacob's Ladder, creeping quietly into theaters this week after an even quieter DISH premiere, doesn't skimp on the demonic visions, exactly. There are, again, shape-shifting vagrants, skittering around the edges of the frame, their faces suddenly twisting from normal to Halloween-mask frightening. And the film offers its own doses of Lyne's trippiest and most imitated trick: heads jerking around on necks in a fast-motion blur, like the wings of a dragonfly. Yet there's something curiously perfunctory about these unholy encounters—and not just because the phantoms have been conjured, unconvincingly, from computers this time. David M. Rosenthal, the director, stages the scares with little imagination or verve; they come across like a begrudging sop to horror fans, stuck in there purely out of obligation. Why remake Jacob's Ladder if you're not going to try to compete at all with its nightmare fuel, the very element that earned it a following and, you know, a remake?