• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scoops

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Mandy and it was good, but oddly enough, thought the last 3rd was where the movie became less interesting. I loved the relationship bits and thought the kidnapping part escalated things well but the pay off wasnt as intense as i was hoping.
I wanted the violence to feel more gritty and like a struggle. But it feels too "clean" for lack of better term. I wanted cage to feel like he was actually at risk but for the most part he just kills everyone too efficiently.

Anyway, it was good but unfortunately not great. But it did have some great Cage freakout moments.

YOU RIPPED MY SHIRT, YOU RIPPED MY SHIRT

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
So I signed up for Shudder in anticipation of October this year. What are some essentials on that platform? Looks like they have quite a few exclusives but I have heard of almost none of them.
Let Joe Bob Briggs be your guide. From the last Drive-In marathon I'd highlight Tourist Trap, Sleepaway Camp, Rabid, Basket Case, Re-Animator, Demons, Hellraiser, And Pieces. I haven't seen a couple of them yet and they're all worth it for the segments at least.
I also really enjoyed Murder Party.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's the first day of Netflix's insane smorgasbord of horror.

Gimme some new recommendations. Also include Amazon if they're getting into the horror game.

And don't list Shining a million times because I've seen that already.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread picked the way worst time to go silent. It's a whole month of streaming services unloading tons of horror.

I want recommendations on the stuff that's been added to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. I'm curious about The 3rd Eye, which hit Netflix a few days ago, as well as Hold the Dark.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Th
This thread picked the way worst time to go silent. It's a whole month of streaming services unloading tons of horror.

I want recommendations on the stuff that's been added to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. I'm curious about The 3rd Eye, which hit Netflix a few days ago, as well as Hold the Dark.
I know there's a thread in Etc. on Hold the Dark with a bunch of replies.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC

There's a 31 days of horror movies thread people are probably posting in instead.

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
Saw Malevolent on Netflix. It started out pretty alright, but in the end it's a 2/5 at most. Boring ghosts, boring twists, boring characters. Boring!

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Subbed to Shudder on Amazon, first on my list to check out was Revenge.........but apparently Revenge isn't included with the Shudder sub on Amazon? Dumb, it's a Shudder movie and it's part of the Shudder website sub

Plenty of stuff to watch in the collection this month so it's not a big deal but kind of annoying

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Subbed to Shudder on Amazon, first on my list to check out was Revenge.........but apparently Revenge isn't included with the Shudder sub on Amazon? Dumb, it's a Shudder movie and it's part of the Shudder website sub

Plenty of stuff to watch in the collection this month so it's not a big deal but kind of annoying
If I've subscribed to Shudder can I add it to my amazon so I can just watch those there?

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
If I've subscribed to Shudder can I add it to my amazon so I can just watch those there?
Seems like a separate thing because I tried to sign into the site and I didn't have an account there

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a mistake on Amazons part but not sure if I want to contact support for my 3 dollars back (but annoying as hell since Shudder is 5).

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Shudder and normal Shudder are completely different things oddly enough. I'm not sure if its Amazon causing the issues or what, but one sub does not equal the other. When I got Amazon Prime I was considering adding Shudder to that so it would all be in one interface on my Shield TV as opposed to having Amazon on the Shield and needing to chromecast Shudder from a phone since there isn't an app. In research, I found that if you have a normal Shudder sub, you have to close that and start a whole new sub on the Amazon side, meaning a whole new watch list and all that. Then you get stuck in the Amazon ecosystem which can be a headache of its own since you can't use the Shudder app I guess. Only through Prime at that point. So I just left mine separate. Was not aware that the two had different titles at times. Glad I stuck with the stand alone product now. Honestly though, I've watched more on Shudder than any other streaming service since I subbed it so the money is well worth it to me. In fact, I just went yearly.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Shudder and normal Shudder are completely different things oddly enough. I'm not sure if its Amazon causing the issues or what, but one sub does not equal the other. When I got Amazon Prime I was considering adding Shudder to that so it would all be in one interface on my Shield TV as opposed to having Amazon on the Shield and needing to chromecast Shudder from a phone since there isn't an app. In research, I found that if you have a normal Shudder sub, you have to close that and start a whole new sub on the Amazon side, meaning a whole new watch list and all that. Then you get stuck in the Amazon ecosystem which can be a headache of its own since you can't use the Shudder app I guess. Only through Prime at that point. So I just left mine separate. Was not aware that the two had different titles at times. Glad I stuck with the stand alone product now. Honestly though, I've watched more on Shudder than any other streaming service since I subbed it so the money is well worth it to me. In fact, I just went yearly.
I like the Amazon one because I can play it on my PS4 but that sucks the libraries aren't the same. Ah well, it's just $5 at least....

I really, really enjoyed Revenge. Bloody as hell

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
So I just redeemed my code for the new Halloween Theme from Fandango for purchasing a ticket for the movie.

The new theme sure has one hell of a kick haha it's throwing me off

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I use Shudder through VRV. Sure it's a touch more expensive than standalone but it also gets me Funimation, Crunchyroll, and NickSplat along with the other stuff I don't use. Plus it can be used on my PS4.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Texas Chainsaw 2 for the first time. Only seen the original before. I thought it was pretty decent, though some things went on for too long. The old guy (the cook) NAILS IT, and the opening kill is awesome. Also finally know where some of the references in the AVGN Texas Chainsaw Massacre episode came from that weren't in the original film or in the Monster Madness reviews of them.

Unfortunately it's the only one that's currently free on Amazon/Netflix unless I want to get into the reboots... no thanks.

Jun 10, 2018
Phone is acting up, so I'll keep this brief:

Currently watching through "Last Shift", and it has everything I despise about so-called psychological horror films.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Almost finished up my 31 Days of Horror, got Satan's Slaves left for tomorrow and Apostle on Friday. Discovered some really awesome new favorites that I'd never seen before:

Braindead - The most insane, grossest, gleefully over-the-top horror-comedy I've ever seen. The gore effects and gags were just jaw-dropping; the only zombie action I've seen that even comes close is I Am A Hero's head-splattering finale, and even then Braindead is in a league of its own in a ballpark of its own on another planet of its own

The Evil Dead - Much like TCM, Raimi's classic is relentlessly paced and oppressive low-budget horror that punches way above its weight class and puts its many imitators to shame

The Blair Witch Project - A fantastic slow-burn of dread and despair, that feels more authentic than any other found footage movie I've seen before

Housebound - New Zealanders and horror comedies are just a perfect match. This was a clever and funny subversion on haunted house horror with a great protagonist and some effectively creepy moments

Crimson Peak - Del Toro's absolutely gorgeous love letter to all things Gothic, with a touch of giallo here and a dash of surprisingly brutal bloodshed there to make it even more interesting

Dream Home - A smart slasher with some of the nastiest kills I've seen since Inside, that cleverly uses the time between its blood-soaked set-pieces to develop the killer instead of the victims

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So I watched Halloween at a local theater last night and somehow, the kid and his girlfriend next to me went through the entire movie without realizing it was not the new one. It took them an hour and a half of asking each other what was going on repeatedly and watching the H2018 trailer on their phones before they finally realized they were watching a 40-year-old movie... And even then, they had to ask.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Vudu has a deal where you can buy three horror movies for $14.99.

I picked up The Thing, They Live and Curse of the Werewolf.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched Texas Chainsaw 2 for the first time. Only seen the original before. I thought it was pretty decent, though some things went on for too long. The old guy (the cook) NAILS IT, and the opening kill is awesome. Also finally know where some of the references in the AVGN Texas Chainsaw Massacre episode came from that weren't in the original film or in the Monster Madness reviews of them.

Unfortunately it's the only one that's currently free on Amazon/Netflix unless I want to get into the reboots... no thanks.

Really, anything past 2 is pretty much on equal footing with the reboots anyway. I'd say you can call it a day.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 30 minutes into the movie, Terrified, and I already think this might beat out Mandy as my favorite horror movie of the year.

thehorror

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
In other news every Friday this month (starting yesterday) has some good shit coming out horror related on Netflix. Pretty hype month to be honest with everything else going on as well. Can't wait.

Last edited:

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Randomly saw a movie called Bye Bye Man and decided to watch it. Was mildly interesting at first but then it's just utter nonsense and not scary at all. They could've made this movie so much better... -.-

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Watch list for the weekend:

Blacula
Deep Red
Les Diaboliques
Night of the Comet
Apostle
The Invitation
Mother

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Was browsing Facebook and saw a Shudder ad. Apparently Amazon dropped them and isn't allowing new content or subs so that explains the difference in channel. That sucks...

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched The Shining. Still a classic.

I'm reading the Wiki and it says not only was it the only one of Kubrick's last 9 films not to be nominated for an Oscar or Golden Globes, it also was nominated for Worst Director and Worst Actress at the Razzies? What in the fuck?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever read the original Psycho novel?

I'm wondering if it's actually any good and worth reading as a fan of the film.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
This looks promising.

rM8y2p4.jpg

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I miss shows like Monstervision and USA Up All Night. It's how I discovered movies like Class of Nuke Em High, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and The Puppet Master series.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017

Nice! Consider yourself lucky, I don't even know if this is going to end up playing anywhere remotely near me. Have been checking the movie listings and haven't seen a thing yet. I was under the impression that it had a limited release on Oct. 26 and was going wide on Nov. 2nd, but maybe even the "wide" release is going to be more of a limited run?

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! Consider yourself lucky, I don't even know if this is going to end up playing anywhere remotely near me. Have been checking the movie listings and haven't seen a thing yet. I was under the impression that it had a limited release on Oct. 26 and was going wide on Nov. 2nd, but maybe even the "wide" release is going to be more of a limited run?
it's actually very strange. the regal theater near me is the only theater playing it. it's a big theater too, not really one you'd think to show this kind of small-time movie.
and after tomorrow, there are no more showings listed in the near future. literally the only night it's playing with only 2 showings that day.
so nuts lol but perfect because it's halloween night and i want to finish off the month with this film.
i hope you get to see it though. i checked last week and there was absolutely no showings listed for any theaters. i check 3 days ago and found this showing.
so glad i looked again

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

It's in the local horror film festival a month from now, but I'm going to pass on the 152min. remake. It's unlikely to be as good as the original, and I really don't want to sit through 2½ hours in the theater for it. Based on the trailers, they've also changed the aesthetics to a direction that's more fitting to today's American perspective, instead of keeping with the original's costume design that's still prevalent in Europe.

I'll be going to see a couple of these there, depending on the showing schedules: Cutterhead, Prospect, Summer of 84, Terrified, The Wind, and The Witch in the Window. I'll post my thoughts about them afterwards.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
It's in the local horror film festival a month from now, but I'm going to pass on the 152min. remake. It's unlikely to be as good as the original, and I really don't want to sit through 2½ hours in the theater for it. Based on the trailers, they've also changed the aesthetics to a direction that's more fitting to today's American perspective, instead of keeping with the original's costume design that's still prevalent in Europe.

I'll be going to see a couple of these there, depending on the showing schedules: Cutterhead, Prospect, Summer of 84, Terrified, The Wind, and The Witch in the Window. I'll post my thoughts about them afterwards.
Terrified is on Shudder right now. You can sign up for a free week. Don't waste your time and find another movie that's less accessible

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Picked up the just released 4k UHD collectors edition release of John Carpenters The Fog (1980).

The-Fog-4K-UK-Blu-Ray.png

That's my evenings Halloween entertainment sorted : )

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Picked up the just released 4k UHD collectors edition release of John Carpenters The Fog (1980).

The-Fog-4K-UK-Blu-Ray.png

That's my evenings Halloween entertainment sorted : )
My copy (and my copy of They Live AND Prince of Darkness) is in the mail from the UK. I won't be getting it for a couple of weeks, but I'm really excited for it to arrive.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Another October came and went. T_T I am feeling so sad lol.

Looks like Suspiria is going to be close by for a little bit, so guess I will keep that in mind, but man will it have to really get me hooked at being 2 and a half hours heh.

There is Overlord too, which I be quite interested in seeing how that turns out.