• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to rewatching The Blackcoat's Daughter, which didn't exactly click with me the first time, but now I really liked it. The ending was really well done, and quietly haunting. I think it might one of my favorite horror movie conclusions of the last few years, up there with The Witch, Hereditary, Upgrade, and Kill List

So to those who've seen it
What's your take on the ending? That she's finally free of the demonic influence and feeling the weight and guilt of her actions? Or is that despite her actions, the presence didn't return and (again) she's truly alone and abandoned? Honestly, I like the latter more. It's darker and more unsettling.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to rewatching The Blackcoat's Daughter, which didn't exactly click with me the first time, but now I really liked it. The ending was really well done, and quietly haunting. I think it might one of my favorite horror movie conclusions of the last few years, up there with The Witch, Hereditary, Upgrade, and Kill List

What's your take on the ending? That she's finally free of the demonic influence and feeling the weight and guilt of her actions? Or is that despite her actions, the presence didn't return and (again) she's truly alone and abandoned? Honestly, I like the latter more. It's darker and more unsettling.
I think it's the latter.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018

Ha, I also rewatched it yesterday. I think I liked it even more this time because I knew it would lead to something. Initially, I was afraid it would all just be atmosphere without amounting to anything satisfying.
Masterful storytelling and an incredibly oppressive mood elevated by fantastic sound design.

I think it was pretty clear that good old Satan was her only friend and she had lost him forever.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I also rewatched it yesterday. I think I liked it even more this time because I knew it would lead to something. Initially, I was afraid it would all just be atmosphere without amounting to anything satisfying.
Masterful storytelling and an incredibly oppressive mood elevated by fantastic sound design.

I think it was pretty clear that good old Satan was her only friend and she had lost him forever.
It's such a powerful, tragic, haunting ending that elevates everything that came before.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US

Look what Second Sight is teasing! Hopefully it has all the cuts.

Hopefully it is region free or a US distributor is also putting it out. Either way I'm glad Dawn is finally coming back to Blu-ray!

That's one of the two horror grails I want on Blu-ray down. Here's hoping Arrow releases Ringu to match their other J-horror stuff...

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it is region free or a US distributor is also putting it out. Either way I'm glad Dawn is finally coming back to Blu-ray!

That's one of the two horror grails I want on Blu-ray down. Here's hoping Arrow releases Ringu to match their other J-horror stuff...

Didn't Arrow just announce a Ring box set (Ring, Ring 2 and Ring 0)? Pretty sure it's UK only right now, but they dropped hints about an NA release further in the future.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Didn't Arrow just announce a Ring box set (Ring, Ring 2 and Ring 0)? Pretty sure it's UK only right now, but they dropped hints about an NA release further in the future.

Oh. I didn't know about any of that. A new 4K scan of the original negative, too!

Well, time to find a new grail.... Maybe a US release of Curse of Frankenstein? lol

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
are there good websites that collect these horror creepypastas with the small black & white images from twitter? Something like these:

DfwY7LsX4AEAiNq.jpg

1fbae0209f825a135535abdea5aec530.jpg

CdR6EXtWwAAbaha.jpg

I love them but they are so hard to follow them, but I have no idea how to find exactly these on a blog or a traditional website

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Oh. I didn't know about any of that. A new 4K scan of the original negative, too!

Well, time to find a new grail.... Maybe a US release of Curse of Frankenstein? lol

Ha, yeah! Ring was actually one of my last remaining blu-ray holy grails as well. Now I'm just waiting on Juon 1+2, Grudge 2 and Watcher in the Woods.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
are there good websites that collect these horror creepypastas with the small black & white images from twitter? Something like these:

CdR6EXtWwAAbaha.jpg

I love them but they are so hard to follow them, but I have no idea how to find exactly these on a blog or a traditional website

this one literally makes no sense?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
One Cut of the Dead
uk-quad-poster-web-766yjwz.jpg

I can't stress this enough—find a way to see this film. It's as good, as subversive, and as funny as everyone says it is. There's also a lot of heart (which frames the whole thing in fact) as well.

BUT, its genius won't be apparent until you're done with it (you'll start to catch on much earlier though).

Here's my review:
https://letterboxd.com/kinggroin/film/one-cut-of-the-dead/

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
He's back! What's up gangsters?

Need to check a lot of these out. Cat Sick Blues sounds especially...erm...delightful.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's back! What's up gangsters?

Need to check a lot of these out. Cat Sick Blues sounds especially...erm...delightful.

Cat Sick Blues is...my... history with it...is...you have no idea how much I love that movie. I don't think many moments go by, talking indie film, where I don't find a way to mention Cat Sick Blues.

I own it on every format it was released on (though I've since given away one of them to help spread the love), I own some of its original props, I've interviewed its director (we since chat movies on occasion), I LOVE the work from this crew's troupe days as Pleasant Productions, or Touched by an Angle Grinder, I especially find Matthew Vaughan (who plays the antagonist) to be a hilarious fellow and fantastic screenplay writer. Same for Andrew Gallagher, the film's writer.

Interview 1
https://www.ttf13.com/interviews/matthewcvaughan

Interview 2
https://www.ttf13.com/interviews/davejackson

Interview 3
https://www.ttf13.com/interviews/shiandenovan

Cat Sick Blues single handedly propelled me and my buddy to push forward with our website, now running since 2015. It's also pushed us to pursue other creative endeavors as well.

I'm even making a short film about my unhealthy obsession with the film.

Ramble ramble ramble love love gush!

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Cat Sick Blues is...my... history with it...is...you have no idea how much I love that movie. I don't think many moments go by, talking indie film, where I don't find a way to mention Cat Sick Blues.

I own it on every format it was released on (though I've since given away one of them to help spread the love), I own some of its original props, I've interviewed its director (we since chat movies on occasion), I LOVE the work from this crew's troupe days as Pleasant Productions, or Touched by an Angle Grinder, I especially find Matthew Vaughan (who plays the antagonist) to be a hilarious fellow and fantastic screenplay writer. Same for Andrew Gallagher, the film's writer.

Interview 1
https://www.ttf13.com/interviews/matthewcvaughan

Interview 2
https://www.ttf13.com/interviews/davejackson

Interview 3
https://www.ttf13.com/interviews/shiandenovan

Cat Sick Blues single handedly propelled me and my buddy to push forward with our website, now running since 2015. It's also pushed us to pursue other creative endeavors as well.

I'm even making a short film about my unhealthy obsession with the film.

Ramble ramble ramble love love gush!

Well you definitely got me intrigued... I'll try to give it a watch. Is it streaming anywhere right now?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Any lesser known action-horror gems from the last few years? The only ones that come to mind are Upgrade, Overlord, Green Room (well more horror-thriller), Don't Breathe, You're Next, The Guest

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any lesser known action-horror gems from the last few years? The only ones that come to mind are Upgrade, Overlord, Green Room (well more horror-thriller), Don't Breathe, You're Next, The Guest

Strangers Prey at Night, A Quiet Place, Assassination Nation, Revenge, Happy Death Day, Life, MFA, The Loved Ones, Tragedy Girls (kinda), Better Watch Out, The Void, Autopsy of Jane Doe, Found Footage 3D, Train to Busan

There's more, but that's some.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Unfortunately not...

...but you can literally ask the Director himself for a screening in exchange for a review on Amazon or Letterboxd. He's been pretty accommodating in that regard.

https://letterboxd.com/phantasmes/

Thanks! I'll continue to look around, and I'll ask him if I can't find the movie anywhere.

But speaking of "cats", anybody has seen Are We Not Cats? Seems to be a body horror romance that has to do with trichotillomania. As someone who knew people with that disorder very well, I wonder how it is represented in the movie. Is it in there only as some kind of shock value?

Last edited:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Caught The Night Eats the World on Amazon prime last night.
Interesting, subdued zombie apocalypse movie that explored a side of surviving I always wished would be seen more.
Besides the twist that really ruined some emotional investment for me I really enjoyed this one.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
i've actually never seen Ringu. does anyone find it better than the american version? if so, i might give it a watch.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
I personally prefer it the remake due due to the original the film being a little... less in-your-face, I suppose? It may not look as fancy as the American version (of which I find kinda unappealing with the teal tint) but the Japanese version makes up for it with stuff like the wonderful Kenji Kawai score and a far more atmospheric tone. There's definitely some cheesy stuff in it (inverse-colored shots, some goofy sound efects) but I find it to be one of my top ten favourite horror movies.

EDIT:

Oh shit, Second Sight got George Romero's Martin!

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Ok so I bit the bullet and watched Are We Not Cats. It's streaming on Shudder.

And yeah, huge (HUGE!) trigger warning for anybody that had to deal with trichotillomania and related disorders in their life in any way, shape, or form.

That said, I actually liked it. It can even be kind of touching at time. But honestly, what an anxiety-inducing body horror movie... It follows a guy whose life is spiralling out of control until he meets an intriguing girl. But that relationship ends up enabling and strengthening their common disorders. I did find the last 15 minutes absolutely gnarly.

It might be surprising but – from my own experience with people suffering from them – the trichotillomania / trichophagia / excoriation disorders pictured in the movie are not that exaggerated, as horrible as it can seem. It is a bit pushed to the extreme, especially the trichophagia part, but yeah... it's a good movie if you can stomach it.

Last edited:

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok so I bit the bullet and watched Are We Not Cats. It's streaming on Shudder.

And yeah, huge (HUGE!) trigger warning for anybody that had to deal with trichotillomania and related disorders in their life in any way, shape, or form.

That said, I actually liked it. It can even be kind of touching at time. But honestly, what an anxiety-inducing body horror movie... It follows a guy whose life is spiralling out of control until he meets an intriguing girl. But that relationship ends up enabling and strengthening their common disorders. I did find the last 15 minutes absolutely gnarly.

It might be surprising but – from my own experience with people suffering from them – the trichotillomania / trichophagia / excoriation disorders pictured in the movie are not that exaggerated, as horrible as it can seem. It is a bit pushed to the extreme, especially the trichophagia part, but yeah... it's a good movie if you can stomach it.

Thanks for the recommendation. This sounds like my next movie

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
i've actually never seen Ringu. does anyone find it better than the american version? if so, i might give it a watch.
I personally prefer it the remake due due to the original the film being a little... less in-your-face, I suppose? It may not look as fancy as the American version (of which I find kinda unappealing with the teal tint) but the Japanese version makes up for it with stuff like the wonderful Kenji Kawai score and a far more atmospheric tone. There's definitely some cheesy stuff in it (inverse-colored shots, some goofy sound efects) but I find it to be one of my top ten favourite horror movies.

I totally agree. The way the original Ring deals presents the twist towards the end is legitimately one of my favorite moments in horror movies in the last 20 years or so. The original also gets across a sense of isolation and loneliness that the remake doesn't quite get right (though it tries).

I actually did enjoy the remake quite a bit in certain ways, but I definitely prefer the original.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US

Just got done watching the documentary Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror. I really enjoyed it and found it interesting. The opening line is pretty impactful:

"We've always loved horror, it's just that horror, unfortunately, hasn't always loved us."

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Are you into foreign horror?

Ghoul is a 3 episode miniseries about a military Outpost set in dystopian, fascist India that gets overrun by evil. Give it a watch on Netflix.

Under the Shadow is an Iranian horror movie set against the backdrop of Islamic Revolution/Iran-Iraq War. It is very scary and involves mystical Islamic entities like Jinns. I loved this movie. It currently holds 99% on RT.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Watched the new Suspiria movie yesterday, man I have to say I was really impressed. Would love to see a trilogy as long as it doesn't take as long as Argento's trilogy.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
https://m.facebook.com/154695504664891/posts/1400322620102167/

GEORGE A ROMERO'S DAWN OF THE DEAD is coming to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray in the UK and will feature 'Theatrical', 'Cannes' and 'Argento' cuts!! We will also be releasing on standard Blu-ray together with our Blu-ray release of MARTIN. Many thanks to producer Richard P Rubinstein for allowing us access to the original elements, which includes the original camera negative for Dawn and dupe negative for Martin. New 4K scans are underway at Final Frame in New York which will be followed by grading and extensive restoration supervised by DP Michael Gornick. It will then be over to David Mackenzie at Fidelity in Motion for mastering and encoding. Currently slated for a late summer release, more news to follow….

I might just say fuck it and get a region free player at this point.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

I can dig it. I really loved the last Hellraiser movie though, even with its non-existent budget.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I think they were made for Scream. $10 million is more than enough for one of those.

Also everyone should see Hellraiser Judgement. I'm just saying. That probably had a budget of a few thousand dollars and still is the best sequel since 2.
Budget isn't the concern with Blumhouse.