• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So anyone seen Suspiria yet? Reviews are all over the map and I'm wondering if I should just wait to Redbox it.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
it's actually very strange. the regal theater near me is the only theater playing it. it's a big theater too, not really one you'd think to show this kind of small-time movie.
and after tomorrow, there are no more showings listed in the near future. literally the only night it's playing with only 2 showings that day.
so nuts lol but perfect because it's halloween night and i want to finish off the month with this film.
i hope you get to see it though. i checked last week and there was absolutely no showings listed for any theaters. i check 3 days ago and found this showing.
so glad i looked again

Well, as of today, there are apparently only 3 theatres in all of Canada playing it, none of them remotely near me. If this is it for their "wide release" I guess I'll be waiting for streaming or a home release. Pretty disappointing considering how heavily they seemed to be promoting it earlier. I guess there's always a chance it's releasing wide in Canada later, but I'm not holding my breath.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I watched Possum. Slow and creepy. If you don't like psychological horror or slow burn type movies it won't be for you, but I rather liked it.

there's one jump scare and fuck me did it scare the shit out of me.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
So anyone seen Suspiria yet? Reviews are all over the map and I'm wondering if I should just wait to Redbox it.
It depends on how big a fan of the Suspiria film you are or if you're a fan of Guadagnino.
The movie stuck with me, but it's definitely not for everybody. It's a long runtime with many chapters that drag, but the high points are very high.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever read the original Psycho novel?

I'm wondering if it's actually any good and worth reading as a fan of the film.
I'd like to know that too. I rewatched Psycho some time before Halloween, and proceeded to watch Psycho II that I... liked, a lot. But I'm interested in the novel and its sequels too.
And as soon as I've watched Psycho III and IV (don't care if they're not good, I just love Anthony Perkins), I'll start the Bates Motel series.

By the way, has anyone seen the Bates Motel TV movie from the 80s?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092622/
It... doesn't inspire confidence but I'm curious.
edit: welp, the full movie is on Youtube > https://youtu.be/2YBLUAV7Ujw
edit2: wtf is this
edit3: don't. Don't watch it. Stay away.

Last edited:

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to know that too. I rewatched Psycho some time before Halloween, and proceeded to watch Psycho II that I... liked, a lot. But I'm interested in the novel and its sequels too.
And as soon as I've watched Psycho III and IV (don't care if they're not good, I just love Anthony Perkins), I'll start the Bates Motel series.

By the way, has anyone seen the Bates Motel TV movie from the 80s?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092622/
It... doesn't inspire confidence but I'm curious.
edit: welp, the full movie is on Youtube > https://youtu.be/2YBLUAV7Ujw
edit2: wtf is this
edit3: don't. Don't watch it. Stay away.

I bought the Psycho set with 2, 3, 4 and that made for tv movie. Watched the sequels and skipped the tv movie with zero regret after reading how bad it was...although I do have morbid curiosity. Parts 3 and 4 are nowhere as good as 1 or 2 but still cool to watch because they continue Norman's story fairly well even if the movies get worse as they go.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It had no right being this good. I'm actually glad they didn't adapt the second novel. I've yet to read it, but I love the direction taken by the movie.
giphy.gif

My current wallpaper.
Perkins is so recognizable, the way he moves and carries himself, even here... gah he's perfect.

My only issue with it is
the info dump right at the end with his real mom. That was pretty contrived; just for the sake of having a twist.
I'm glad he didn't hesitate:
giphy.gif

That's some wasted character development though :(
But it's a pretty great tragedy.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
I watched Possum ... I rather liked it.

I enjoyed possum too.

It's an effective mood piece for the most part, though it does slightly run out of steam towards the end, there's only so long you can knead your chin watching a man carrying around a bag before it stops being interesting and you're just watching a man carrying a bag around.

It sort of lulls you into this false sense of security though, you think OK, it's going to be creepy and foreboding but it's not going to be- AAAARGH and that jump scare at the end absolutely knocks your teeth out!

He was abused by his uncle when he was little and that puppet is like a physical manifestation of his feelings of guilt and fear, he has to carry that around with him forever and can't get rid of it.
I thought at first that he was the paedophile and that's what he was carrying around, the shame of that, but I'd imagine it's more or the less the same feelings for the abused and the abuser, a horrible thing passed down through the generations.

Definitely worth a watch.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It had no right being this good. I'm actually glad they didn't adapt the second novel. I've yet to read it, but I love the direction taken by the movie.
giphy.gif

My current wallpaper.
Perkins is so recognizable, the way he moves and carries himself, even here... gah he's perfect.

My only issue with it is
the info dump right at the end with his real mom. That was pretty contrived; just for the sake of having a twist.
giphy.gif

Part of me wonders if they used the dummy that's always in that window for that silhouette.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
giphy.gif

My current wallpaper.

My only issue with it is
giphy.gif

The info dump is a cute reference to the original if you ask me.

And that 'CLANG' right after it is ace.

The original, obviously is landmark cinema. Two is still a great sequel and more Perkins is a good thing. Three isn't as good as two, but it's definitely worthy, showing Perkins going back and forth as mother was something that needed to be on screen. I've never been able to get through four.

Here's my wife and I on the steps of the Psycho house at Universal Studios in Hollywood.

20151015_192532.jpg

Last edited:

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
It looks like I'm skipping the local Night Visions film festival for the first time in years. Summer of 84 is available on Google Play and Blockbuster, and the showing of The Witch in the Window and Terrified are either too early in the week (15:30 + 16:00), or too late in the weekend (01:00 + 05:00). The Wind, Cutterhead, and Prospect weren't that high on my list, so I'd want to attend the event for them alone. That's not the first time this happens, and it's annoying that they tend to put the less known new films at impractical times, when Lords of Chaos and the 80's flicks American Ninja and Avenging Force get the prime time treatment. Unfortunately, that's how it goes when your tastes don't align with the larger audience.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it Sunday and loved it. I'd say the best way to describe it would be the pacing of CMBYN mixed with the body horror of any number of extreme 80's movies like The Thing. If that sounds interesting to you, I think it's worth a shot.

I'd recommend it in the theater too. For me, the theater setting helps me just accept that I've set aside this block of time and I can take slower movies like this one better.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Saw it Sunday and loved it. I'd say the best way to describe it would be the pacing of CMBYN mixed with the body horror of any number of extreme 80's movies like The Thing. If that sounds interesting to you, I think it's worth a shot.

I'd recommend it in the theater too. For me, the theater setting helps me just accept that I've set aside this block of time and I can take slower movies like this one better.
Once I saw it, I understood why it's being reviewed the way it is. It's divisive in so many ways, it's crazy.
As soon as i let it settle, I liked it more and I actually want to see it again. It's been a long time since a horror movie got me thinking so much after the credits rolled.
Hereditary was amazing, but after i saw it, i didn't rack my brain for the meaning of anything.

The Witch was probably the last one to really stick with me for days after. Not that i found it scary, but it was so different to me that I kept asking myself why i was so infatuated with it. A horror film that didn't scare me much, but the images stuck with me. And honestly, the second viewing of The Witch was scarier to me for some weird reason.
That's what Suspiria 2018 is for me right now. I feel like the second viewing is really going to knock it home

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the new Halloween. I appreciate that when you leave a character alive long enough in a horror series, they become as strong as the killer

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Saw the new Halloween. I appreciate that when you leave a character alive long enough in a horror series, they become as strong as the killer
well, you saw/heard the post credits scene, right? i don't think Laurie could ever survive burning alive in a basement. Myers, definitely.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Once I saw it, I understood why it's being reviewed the way it is. It's divisive in so many ways, it's crazy.
As soon as i let it settle, I liked it more and I actually want to see it again. It's been a long time since a horror movie got me thinking so much after the credits rolled.
Hereditary was amazing, but after i saw it, i didn't rack my brain for the meaning of anything.

The Witch was probably the last one to really stick with me for days after. Not that i found it scary, but it was so different to me that I kept asking myself why i was so infatuated with it. A horror film that didn't scare me much, but the images stuck with me. And honestly, the second viewing of The Witch was scarier to me for some weird reason.
That's what Suspiria 2018 is for me right now. I feel like the second viewing is really going to knock it home
For sure, it's just so different than any other movie I've seen that's come out in the last 20-30 years. It definitely felt like something from the 80's to me, but at the same time it felt new?

I walked out of the theater not entirely sure how I felt about it, but it's been one of those movies I keep thinking about as well. I'm not sure I want to see it again though, because I'm happy not dissecting it too much. It worked really well as a mood piece for me, and I think I'm going to leave it that way at least until it's out on bluray.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The info dump is a cute reference to the original if you ask me.

And that 'CLANG' right after it is ace.

The original, obviously is landmark cinema. Two is still a great sequel and more Perkins is a good thing. Three isn't as good as two, but it's definitely worthy, showing Perkins going back and forth as mother was something that needed to be on screen. I've never been able to get through four.

Here's my wife and I on the steps of the Psycho house at Universal Studios in Hollywood.

View attachment 295
lol that's great
But your wife seems to be pretty happy about getting murdered, that's a bit concerning!
This reminds me that I watched this the other day on Cinemassacre:

Unrelated, but, has anyone here watched The Exorcist TV series? I wanted to watch it, apparently it was really good, but it got canned after two seasons and no proper ending. Starting a series that I know doesn't offer a satisfying ending is frustrating, but damn I wanted to watch it ><
The thing that annoys me is that the showrunner knew there was a high chance the show would get cancelled. So, why not give a proper ending at least, with some open possibilites for an eventual season 3?...

If you were aware of that, there's no excuse.

And: https://twitter.com/jerslater/status/995041034940792832
"At the end of the day, all I can feel is gratitude for every single member of the #ExorcistCongregation who followed us on this unbelievable adventure. I wish we could have given you a proper ending, but the characters belong to you now. You decide how their story ends."

I mean, for fuck's sake!
But I've only heard praise about the show. I watched the movies these last few weeks, I suffered through Exorcist II, I deserve to watch something good. I watched Exorcist: The Beginning yesterday and now I'm gonna finish with Dominion aka the same movie but not really.
(okay, The Exorcist III was really, really good imo, very different from the original but great nonetheless... just like Psycho 2)

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I know I'm a bit late in this but holy fuck was Apostle my kind of movie. On a similar note I'm really looking forwards to May the Devil Take You hitting Netflix soon.

From the same director as the super gory action movie The Night Comes for Us also on Netflix. It's meant to be Raimi horror esque. Given how well shot The Night Comes for Us is I'm very excited about that.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
lol that's great
But your wife seems to be pretty happy about getting murdered, that's a bit concerning!
This reminds me that I watched this the other day on Cinemassacre:

Unrelated, but, has anyone here watched The Exorcist TV series? I wanted to watch it, apparently it was really good, but it got canned after two seasons and no proper ending. Starting a series that I know doesn't offer a satisfying ending is frustrating, but damn I wanted to watch it ><
The thing that annoys me is that the showrunner knew there was a high chance the show would get cancelled. So, why not give a proper ending at least, with some open possibilites for an eventual season 3?...

If you were aware of that, there's no excuse.

And: https://twitter.com/jerslater/status/995041034940792832
"At the end of the day, all I can feel is gratitude for every single member of the #ExorcistCongregation who followed us on this unbelievable adventure. I wish we could have given you a proper ending, but the characters belong to you now. You decide how their story ends."

I mean, for fuck's sake!
But I've only heard praise about the show. I watched the movies these last few weeks, I suffered through Exorcist II, I deserve to watch something good. I watched Exorcist: The Beginning yesterday and now I'm gonna finish with Dominion aka the same movie but not really.
(okay, The Exorcist III was really, really good imo, very different from the original but great nonetheless... just like Psycho 2)

I really liked the show. The ending was good enough for a show that ended up cancelled. Did feel the first season was better than the second, but still, i would say it's worth your time.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed The Exorcist show. I did like the first season more than the second, but I think both are worth watching. Both seasons have good endings in case it was canceled, and in the case of season 2, it was.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This thread title is a bit ironic for me. Didn't even remember having it on my watch list, and it was near the top when I just checked. I'm actually going to go see Overlord this Monday.

Also, since there seems to be interest in the Suspiria remake, all I can say is that it has to at least be a way more interesting layman's watch than the original. The original bored me to tears when I watched it about twelve years ago. Somehow it seemed even worse when I tried watching the remaster earlier this year. As something to purely look at, it had a lot going on, but as an actual movie...ugh.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Also, since there seems to be interest in the Suspiria remake, all I can say is that it has to at least be a way more interesting layman's watch than the original. The original bored me to tears when I watched it about twelve years ago. Somehow it seemed even worse when I tried watching the remaster earlier this year. As something to purely look at, it had a lot going on, but as an actual movie...ugh.
I dunno about boring, but I didn't like the original either.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
This thread title is a bit ironic for me. Didn't even remember having it on my watch list, and it was near the top when I just checked. I'm actually going to go see Overlord this Monday.

The original is basically a candy coated slasher. I'd consider that a lot more accessible than a 3 hour slow burn that takes 45 minutes for the horror to really kick in

If someone is looking for something more artsy with substance, then sure (but then I could also see them getting burned when stuff goes off the deep end into ridiculousness)

If anything the 2018 film leans harder into the "boring" aspects of the original and expands upon them lol

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the show. The ending was good enough for a show that ended up cancelled. Did feel the first season was better than the second, but still, i would say it's worth your time.
I enjoyed The Exorcist show. I did like the first season more than the second, but I think both are worth watching. Both seasons have good endings in case it was canceled, and in the case of season 2, it was.
Thanks, I'll start it tonight :)
I can watch so many stuff now that I figured out how to access other Netflix regions through VPN. Surprisingly, Netflix Japan is full of amercian stuff, including some recent ones that still aren't on US Netflix. And their horror selection is good. So much better than the french one.
Anyway, The Exorcist series is still on Netflix Canada, so here I go.

Also, I watched The Exorcist: Beginning and Dominion, and it was interesting. I'm not sure which one I preferred. Beginning was way more cliché but that's not necessarily a bad thing, some parts were more enjoyable, like the first part and the discovery of the church's interior. Dominion looked better (except the atrocious special effects). Beginning has this greasy CG look of the early 2000s movies, and in comparison, Dominion looks way cleaner and less dated (it's especially apparent when comparing the scenes taking place in Germany). Anyway, I thought the story was fine, but it could have been executed so much better. Both movies are lacking in some way, but they're not terrible. I really like Stellan Skarsgard though, so maybe I'm biased. It's also insane how they can't make something look as good as a 1973 movie. Nothing comes close to the makeup in the original.
Watching all these sequels and prequels also helps to highlight what I liked so much in the original: the fact that it starts in a very mundane way. It's a good thing. No story dating back to the ancient ages, no mysterious church buried for centuries, no nothing. Just an innocent girl who played around with a crappy ouija board and talked to an imaginary friend, and that mostly happened off screen. It works because it's a very simple premise, and so what happens in the movie has more weight. When you have to build sequels upon something so simple, you're bound to lose some of the mystique.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Got the flu, decided to go for something light, watched Scout's guide to the zombie apocalypse and was pleasantly surprised. It has a lotta heart, kinda? I mean there's nothing in it that hasn't been done before, but it got a chuckle outta me in my feverish state couple times. And it had some fun kills and inventive use of a trampoline.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Got the flu, decided to go for something light, watched Scout's guide to the zombie apocalypse and was pleasantly surprised. It has a lotta heart, kinda? I mean there's nothing in it that hasn't been done before, but it got a chuckle outta me in my feverish state couple times. And it had some fun kills and inventive use of a trampoline.

I liked that one too. It's nothing people need to run out and see, but it's a fun, easy watch.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I saw Aterrados the other day. I don't think the movie came together that well as a whole - the pacing and story flow in the later half felt uneven. But it definitely had some really scary and creepy scenes. Looking forward to more work from this director.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Overlord was solid. More WW2 action than horror though, for sure, so keep that in mind if you're still planning on watching it.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I liked that one too. It's nothing people need to run out and see, but it's a fun, easy watch.

I see the director went on to make Happy Death Day, which I haven't seen yet but kinda remember hearing positive things about. Have you seen it? Yeah, I liked the easy going nature of SGttZA, reminded me of those goofy horror comedies of the 80's it emulates.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I see the director went on to make Happy Death Day, which I haven't seen yet but kinda remember hearing positive things about. Have you seen it? Yeah, I liked the easy going nature of SGttZA, reminded me of those goofy horror comedies of the 80's it emulates.

Oh yeah, Happy Death Day is a lot of fun. I definitely recommend that one.
I didn't realize it was the same director as Scouts. I'll have to keep an eye out for his future work (which appears to be a sequel to Happy Death Day - I'm not so sure that's necessary...).

If you're looking for more similar stuff, Freaks of Nature came out around the same time as Scouts and has the same kind of silly, light tone. Cooties is decent too, but they dropped the ball and went with a really half-ass, cliched ending that kind of soured me on the whole thing.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Oh yeah, Happy Death Day is a lot of fun. I definitely recommend that one.
I didn't realize it was the same director as Scouts. I'll have to keep an eye out for his future work (which appears to be a sequel to Happy Death Day - I'm not so sure that's necessary...).

If you're looking for more similar stuff, Freaks of Nature came out around the same time as Scouts and has the same kind of silly, light tone. Cooties is decent too, but they dropped the ball and went with a really half-ass, cliched ending that kind of soured me on the whole thing.

Thanks! I've seen Cooties and agree, could've been much more. I hoped it be a comedy/lighthearted counterpart of the Children, but it was much weaker unfortunately. Still meaning to check out Mom & Dad as a nice rol-reversed counterpart to Cooties/the Children :). Freaks of Nature sounds fun, thanks for the rec!

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks! I've seen Cooties and agree, could've been much more. I hoped it be a comedy/lighthearted counterpart of the Children, but it was much weaker unfortunately. Still meaning to check out Mom & Dad as a nice rol-reversed counterpart to Cooties/the Children :). Freaks of Nature sounds fun, thanks for the rec!

I made it about half way though Mom & Dad and had to turn it off. The frenetic direction was obnoxious and didn't really suit the movie, imo. It gave me a headache.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Here is the trailer for Leprechaun Returns, coming out December 11th:

imo it looks alright and I'm going to watch when it comes out

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Overlord was solid. More WW2 action than horror though, for sure, so keep that in mind if you're still planning on watching it.

Yeah. I thought it was decent enough, but I don't really understand what the fuss was about. It was really just a WW2 film with nods to Captain America, The Reanimator and any dozen "rage zombie" movies. Also made me think of Dog Soldiers a little bit too, and not soley due to it revolving around soldiers either.

1922 was the only original horror on Netflix that I liked.

I have had that in my queue for ages now, and every time I think I might watch it, I end up deciding against it.

That's a bummer. I have a soft spot for Cage cray :|

Mom and Dad wasn't that bad. You just need to go into it prepared for some over the top schlock; but it's actually good compared to much of Cage's last decade of schlock.