• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh yeah, Happy Death Day is a lot of fun. I definitely recommend that one.
I didn't realize it was the same director as Scouts. I'll have to keep an eye out for his future work (which appears to be a sequel to Happy Death Day - I'm not so sure that's necessary...).

If you're looking for more similar stuff, Freaks of Nature came out around the same time as Scouts and has the same kind of silly, light tone. Cooties is decent too, but they dropped the ball and went with a really half-ass, cliched ending that kind of soured me on the whole thing.
Happy Death Day 2U looks like a blast to be fair. The trailer for it really sold me on the idea.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Decided to skip Suspiria for now (with how diverse and long the movie is), but I just came back from seeing Overlord tonight, which I enjoyed quite a bit actually. Could have probably taken the horror aspect further, but still a solid and enjoyable film. Love that kid also lol.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
1922 was the only original horror on Netflix that I liked.

It was ok, but I enjoyed Ravenous (AKA Les affamés, very good zombie flick), Annihilation, I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House, Gerald's Game, and Errementari - The Blacksmith and the Devil more. The latter is more Toro-esque fantasy than horror though. Ritual was fine until the turn of events towards the end, and I didn't enjoy Calibre that much either. I haven't had time to watch Apostle yet.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the show. The ending was good enough for a show that ended up cancelled. Did feel the first season was better than the second, but still, i would say it's worth your time.
I enjoyed The Exorcist show. I did like the first season more than the second, but I think both are worth watching. Both seasons have good endings in case it was canceled, and in the case of season 2, it was.
Well, three episodes in and it's absolutely great so far, I love it.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Cam, a newer release from Blumhouse, just hit on Netflix. It got great buzz out of Fantastic Fest earlier this year, so I was excited to check it out. It's not particularly scary, but hits anxiety and dread really well.

It follows a cam girl trying to solve how to get her identity back after someone or something locks her out of her account and begins streaming literally as her. Think Black Mirror in terms of premise, but with an added focus on some parts of the sex industry that don't get examined much by film. It was written and co-directed by a former cam streamer too.

Here's the trailer:

Here's an article with the creative leads of the movie discussing the film:
https://nylon.com/cam-netflix-film-sex-work

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just got out of suspiria and boy did I not like it. So boring. So drab. Despite its lengthy run time felt under cooked and disjointed.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Cam, a newer release from Blumhouse, just hit on Netflix. It got great buzz out of Fantastic Fest earlier this year, so I was excited to check it out. It's not particularly scary, but hits anxiety and dread really well.

I will never understand some people's definition of scary, if that's not it. Anyway, thanks for the heads up with this. Going to watch it tomorrow I think.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Just got out of suspiria and boy did I not like it. So boring. So drab. Despite its lengthy run time felt under cooked and disjointed.
I'm on the opposite side. Saw it this week and absolutely loved it. It's so much more interesting and memorable than recent films as Hereditary or A Quiet Place.

I watched the original Suspiria as well again and it's really neat how different little character names and details from the original were re-used in different ways.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand some people's definition of scary, if that's not it. Anyway, thanks for the heads up with this. Going to watch it tomorrow I think.
I think that stuff is full blown terrifying, but I find that, when talking to people, they think of "scary" as the stuff that kept them from sleeping when they were kids and not the stuff that keeps them from sleeping as adults.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017

It follows a cam girl trying to solve how to get her identity back after someone or something locks her out of her account and begins streaming literally as her. Think Black Mirror in terms of premise, but with an added focus on some parts of the sex industry that don't get examined much by film. It was written and co-directed by a former cam streamer too.

Here's the trailer:

Here's an article with the creative leads of the movie discussing the film:
https://nylon.com/cam-netflix-film-sex-work

This sounds like the plot to Unfriended 3

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think that stuff is full blown terrifying, but I find that, when talking to people, they think of "scary" as the stuff that kept them from sleeping when they were kids and not the stuff that keeps them from sleeping as adults.
Agreed. A lot of people see "scary" as movies terrifying them like when they were younger, scared to turn off the bedroom light, getting nightmares, covering their eyes during the movie, etc

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through season 2 of The Exorcist and I like it just as much as season 1. I had a few issues with the second part of the first season.
Fuck, I'm gonna miss these characters. I'll have watched the two seasons in about three days and I would love more of it :(

LSp3RXD.gif

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Cam and May The Devil Take You recently, both were pretty good

Cam
Perfect Blue for the 21st century. Perfect Blue by way of Black Mirror. That's what I kept thinking of while watching Cam

If you've seen a movie like this, the moment things start to unravel, you probably already have an idea how the story is going to turn out...but then those notions are instantly thrown out the window. The nightmarish mystery and existential dread of Cam remains engrossing throughout, driven by Madeline Brewer's excellent dual-performance.

The movie already feels uncomfortable before reality unhinges, before the situation becomes a Gordian knot of unease and isolation and helplessness. There's a gripping sense of anxiety across the entire film: the worst fears of the digital age physically manifested, the familiar elements of the social media age - one's online identity versus the real, trying to explain the nature of new media phenomenon to people who don't understand, and so on - but perverted, imbued with horror.

What's impressive though, is that despite that sense of unease and horror, Cam always feels real; that even without the weirdness, it would still be an authentic and humanizing window into the life and struggles and fears that cam girls deal with.

May The Devil Take You
A little Satan's Slaves, a little more Drag Me To Hell (played straight), a lot Evil Dead (more 2013 than 1981)

Timo Tjahjanto's May The Devil Take You certainly wears its inspirations on its sleeve but that isn't inherently a bad thing. The story is simple enough: father invokes occult forces in exchange for wealth, demonic reckoning befalls his family as a consequence. From that premise, Timo wraps the horror around a tense family dynamic, focusing on estranged daughter Alfie and her step-family as they arrive at the father's isolated villa. Cue a dark and stormy night, Evil Dead-style possession, and the kind of inventive gore and violence that Timo injected into the combat of The Night Comes For Us. The violence is more restrained here than in that movie, definitely not at that ridiculous slasher movie-esque levels of gore, but used well to escalate the situation and make the threat feel that much more potent.

May The Devil Take You finds a fine balance between eerie imagery, atmospheric dread, and jump scares, letting the tension build through effectively creepy set-up. The central villa is suitably grimy and dank and cloaked in shadow, complete with its own (crimson) cellar door, while the surrounding forest feels oppressive in its drenching rain and muck.

Compared to the other Indonesian horror movie I saw this year (Satan's Slaves), May The Devil Came For You is more focused, more brutal, escalates well, and closes with a solid finale, although the former movie has better established characters and more interesting use of Indonesian occult imagery and ideas.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Blue for the 21st century. Perfect Blue by way of Black Mirror. That's what I kept thinking of while watching Cam

If you've seen a movie like this, the moment things start to unravel, you probably already have an idea how the story is going to turn out...but then those notions are instantly thrown out the window. The nightmarish mystery and existential dread of Cam remains engrossing throughout, driven by Madeline Brewer's excellent dual-performance.

The movie already feels uncomfortable before reality unhinges, before the situation becomes a Gordian knot of unease and isolation and helplessness. There's a gripping sense of anxiety across the entire film: the worst fears of the digital age physically manifested, the familiar elements of the social media age - one's online identity versus the real, trying to explain the nature of new media phenomenon to people who don't understand, and so on - but perverted, imbued with horror.

What's impressive though, is that despite that sense of unease and horror, Cam always feels real; that even without the weirdness, it would still be an authentic and humanizing window into the life and struggles and fears that cam girls deal with.

I thought of it being more of a mix between Black Mirror and The Dark Half, only briefly registering Perfect Blue, with the emphasis on Black Mirror. That movie is probably the more apt comparison. I haven't seen it since its original release while half asleep though, which is probably why I didn't think much about it.

I still want to know what "it" was supposed to be. The Lawnmower Man? A Ghost in the Shell? Lucy? Skynet?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've finished The Exorcist, I'd like another horror series, or just with some dark or mystery elements. Even if it's "light" like the new Sabrina show. I've watched The Haunting of Hill House, I've watched Requiem, I've got my fill of Channel Zero with the first three seasons so I'm gonna wait a bit before I watch the last one. I know there's American Horror Story but I dropped after one episode of season 4, I hated it, and I'm not sure I want to watch an anthology right now.
First world problems. If I don't find anything I guess I'll go back to Supernatural, just to see some monsters and demons.

edit: I've had Hemlock Grove on my watchlist for a longtime... And I also said that I'd watch Bates Motel soon. Decisions decisions.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've finished The Exorcist, I'd like another horror series, or just with some dark or mystery elements. Even if it's "light" like the new Sabrina show. I've watched The Haunting of Hill House, I've watched Requiem, I've got my fill of Channel Zero with the first three seasons so I'm gonna wait a bit before I watch the last one. I know there's American Horror Story but I dropped after one episode of season 4, I hated it, and I'm not sure I want to watch an anthology right now.
First world problems. If I don't find anything I guess I'll go back to Supernatural, just to see some monsters and demons.

edit: I've had Hemlock Grove on my watchlist for a longtime... And I also said that I'd watch Bates Motel soon. Decisions decisions.

Have you watched Dark on Netflix? Also, Hemlock Grove is...not the greatest, but easy to get sucked into until the end. Also, American Horror Story was very hit and miss with me, but mostly miss. My favorite season by far was the third, and the eighth that just ended ties back to it and the first. Another show to watch, depending on whether or not you enjoy animated shows would be Castlevania, and even potentially Berserk and Attack on Titan if you haven't seen them either.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Bates Motel. Wayward Pines season 1 only.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the opposite side. Saw it this week and absolutely loved it. It's so much more interesting and memorable than recent films as Hereditary or A Quiet Place.

I watched the original Suspiria as well again and it's really neat how different little character names and details from the original were re-used in different ways.

I just saw it last week and I'm right there with you. I'm a huge fan of the original, so I half expected to hate the remake, but it carved out its own identity while keeping a lot of the DNA of Argento's film intact. It was definitely a slow burn, but I thought it kind of needed to be for the story they were trying to tell. Personally I'd love to see Guadagnino's take on the stories behind the other two mothers (and god knows it wouldn't be too hard to make a better film than Argento's Mother of Tears).

I actually loved Hereditary too, and it's probably up there with Suspiria in terms of my favorites from this year. Wasn't a fan of A Quiet Place either though.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Finally got around and saw Mandy... The first like 45 minutes are really, really strange but I guess they needed to be. It was absolutely worth it to hang on and continue watching though. I liked this film.

Also major props for the director for filming some great fighting scenes without using the stupid ass shaky cam.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Watched Cloverhitch Killer. REALLY liked, but not sure about the ending. Still thinking about it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Hereditary was longer than it needed to be

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Saw "The Possession of Hannah Grace" last night. Sucked. I know that seems like it should be self-evident to a lot of people, but I thought the movie had some hidden potential as the trailer had some decent scenes, and the premise and setting are inherently pretty spooky. Unfortunately they took that setting and premise and did about the least interesting things they possibly could with them. All the ingredients were there to make a very effective psychological horror movie. Instead they used those ingredients to make a shitty creature feature that at times reminded me of a lesser entry in the "Alien" franchise.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Saw "The Possession of Hannah Grace" last night. Sucked. I know that seems like it should be self-evident to a lot of people, but I thought the movie had some hidden potential as the trailer had some decent scenes, and the premise and setting are inherently pretty spooky. Unfortunately they took that setting and premise and did about the least interesting things they possibly could with them. All the ingredients were there to make a very effective psychological horror movie. Instead they used those ingredients to make a shitty creature feature that at times reminded me of a lesser entry in the "Alien" franchise.
You just saved me some time. I too thought there may be some hidden potential in that movie. That's too bad

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I watched The Endless on US Netflix. It's a sci-fi, slow burn with some mystery and horror elements. Pretty good.

If you liked The Endless, I higly recommend the two other movies made by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead.

The first one they made is called Resolution (2013), and is in fact a direct prequel to The Endless.

Their second movie is called Spring (2015). This one is a bit different than the other two, but you'll still recognize their style. It's a movie that kind of blends horror and... romance? Seems strange but it works. This one is spectacular. I am absolutely in love with this movie.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If you liked The Endless, I higly recommend the two other movies made by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead.

The first one they made is called Resolution (2013), and is in fact a direct prequel to The Endless.

Their second movie is called Spring (2015). This one is a bit different than the other two, but you'll still recognize their style. It's a movie that kind of blends horror and... romance? Seems strange but it works. This one is spectacular. I am absolutely in love with this movie.

I thought those two characters were familiar. Yes, I have seen Resolution, good stuff.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I think i already watched this movie 10+ times but i still get the shivers in this scene

Absolutely fantastic

This movie chilled me to the bone, and stayed with me for a long time after I first saw it. Its particular imagery and symbolism were very effective for me.

I know many people find this movie quite silly, and I never understood exactly why. Yeah of course it's not a jump scare kind of horror, but for me as soon as

the little girl got her head severed because of her brother,

the movie then became completely horrifying, kept building on that awful dread, and never let go until the end.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Saw The Loved Ones yesterday. Between that and Devil's Candy, Sean Byrne is one of my favorite new horror directors. Loved Ones was fantastic; The reviews describing this as a feature-length version of the Texas Chainsaw dinner scene weren't kidding. The Loved Ones is a lean, mean, relentless, nasty little horror gem. Efficiently established characters, effective set-up, a hellish nightmare of a scenario, and a simple plot that keeps you on your toes with one gory surprise and swerve after the other

And between those two movies, he has a really large range, unrelenting darkly-comic gory nightmare versus slow-burn atmospheric psychological horror

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
This movie chilled me to the bone, and stayed with me for a long time after I first saw it. Its particular imagery and symbolism were very effective for me.

I know many people find this movie quite silly, and I never understood exactly why. Yeah of course it's not a jump scare kind of horror, but for me as soon as

the little girl got her head severed because of her brother,

the movie then became completely horrifying, kept building on that awful dread, and never let go until the end.

I loved the movie up until the end. I wish it had stopped before
the proclamation part,
as it was too underlining compared to all that had occurred before. It felt like it was added there so even the simpletons, who found the movie silly, could understand what's going on. It was just unnecessary. The hints were there, and I think it's better too leave some things open for interpretation.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Saw The Loved Ones yesterday. Between that and Devil's Candy, Sean Byrne is one of my favorite new horror directors. Loved Ones was fantastic; The reviews describing this as a feature-length version of the Texas Chainsaw dinner scene weren't kidding. The Loved Ones is a lean, mean, relentless, nasty little horror gem. Efficiently established characters, effective set-up, a hellish nightmare of a scenario, and a simple plot that keeps you on your toes with one gory surprise and swerve after the other

And between those two movies, he has a really large range, unrelenting darkly-comic gory nightmare versus slow-burn atmospheric psychological horror

I saw The Loved One years ago, but I never see anyone talk about it/mention it. Glad to see it getting some love.

Not seen Devil's Candy though.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Spring is great! Didn't realize they had a prequel to endless. Will seek it out.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Ravenous (Les Affamés) is quite good. Fairly standard post-zombie outbreak survival story, but nice cast of characters, very well shot and great atmosphere. They do some interesting things as well with the zombies, who seem to be oddly sentient with hints of a darker mystery.

Much better than Bird Box in any case, which I liked to some degree, but also felt that it featured too much exposition, useless characters and jumps in logic. Simplicity is best, people.