• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
ThirstyFly Were you planning to do a thread this year for the 31 Days of Horror? I started putting together my list this week so it's been on my mind.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I hate 1408 for a bunch of reasons.

Mainly because of the implications of the part where Cusack believes he is out of the room for months, and then finds out he never left and it supposedly all loops over to the beginning cause that doesn't remotely seem scary. I could easily tolerate that on a loop.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate 1408 for a bunch of reasons.

Mainly because of the implications of the part where Cusack believes he is out of the room for months, and then finds out he never left and it supposedly all loops over to the beginning cause that doesn't remotely seem scary. I could easily tolerate that on a loop.
That's part of why I love it. I've seen that type of thing done in a few other horror films too.

I don't think anyone could tolerate that on a loop for very long. They say no one ever lasted more than an hour but there's no telling how long that hour was for some people.
Dren's relationship with both of her surrogate parents was beyond messed up.
Her relationship with Adrien Brody was okay until it got fuckin weird because he realized she was part his girlfriend. Then that got fucked up too

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Speaking of shudder was so sad to see they split from vrv

I liked paying one price for a few services

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Friday the 13th, and a full moon, oh jeez. XD

Edit: Was having so much fun with my list last night. Going to be 15 again (plus Halloween as tradition), but will add more if I feel like it. I am happy that I got my list all set before the thread is even put up lol.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I only actually own the bad Friday the 13th films so we watched the remake

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you only own part 8, 9 and 10?
tumblr_llvjsoH3d11qav174o1_500.gif

source.gif

GrimObeseFly-size_restricted.gif

This was last year's lineup (sorry for poor image quality)
calendar.png

1. Blair Witch
2. 1408
3. Saw
4. The Mummy
5. Malevolent
6. Gerald's Game
7. The Shining
8. Cube
9. Killer Klowns from Outer Space
10. IT
11. Dead Silence
12. Evil Dead
13. Quarantine
14. Tales from the Hood 2
15. The Thing
16. The Fly
17. Child's Play 2
18. Mama
19. The Apostle
20. Return of the Living Dead
21. Terrifier
22. Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
23. Hellraiser
24. Oculus
25. The Blair Witch Project
26. The VVitch
27. Jason X
28. Drag Me to Hell
29. Happy Death Day
30. The Strangers
31. Winchester + ??? (It might've been Hocus Pocus)

On the 31st I watched Winchester and something else but didn't update the image.

I never pre-plan my list because I can't be expected to stick to it. I have a few movies that I plan on watching at some point during October because I've never seen them before and they're considered classics but when those get watched is up in the air. Half the ones on this list were just movies that were on TV at the time and I was like "sure"

Last edited:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Every year I concern myself with how many horror movies I go through during the year and then as October creeps up I worry I won't be able to fill a whole list with stuff I genuinely want to see but every year I start digging and find well over 31 movies to flesh the list out.
Bring on October!

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So I just saw Haunt. It has to have one of the most simplistic premises of all time but man that movie was solid.

Great acting, great directing, interesting antagonists. Good shit.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Anybody's watching Marianne on Netflix? I didn't know about this new series, and then I saw this post by gforguava in the September TV thread:

For no particular reason I started Marianne on Netflix and I have to say the first episode is flat-out excellent.

marianne-netflix.jpg

I find horror on the small screen to be an interesting but rarely successful enterprise, even when it is great like Channel Zero or The Haunting of Hill House, it is rarely effective at actually getting under your skin. CZ: Butcher's Block is one of my favorite seasons of television ever, it is beautiful and strange and powerful, but it doesn't have that ability to command your senses, to cast that 'lean forward to peer in the dark' spell on you. Most great episodic horror seems to excell at being moody and somber, for all the horror present in The Haunting of Hill House the strongest impression it gives off is one of sadness.

The first episode of Marianne is the first time I've come across something on the small screen that was trying to be spooky and scary and actually made it feel no different than a horror film on the silver screen. The old chestnut of "It is like a ____ hour movie!" to describe a TV show is spot on here, this is the most effective episode of televised horror I have ever seen.

I just watched the first episode, and wow! It was spectacular! One of the first horror series I saw that can really be qualified as horror. Well at least the first episode, let's see what the rest looks like. Highly recommended!

It's a French series, and really, there was some really amazing French horror productions in the last few years. They're beginning to be very great at it!

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
watched four eps last night and there's some cheese there, but fuck is it good. legit good horror, that main actress playing 'marianne' is so fucking good. really had me checking my shadows and shit hahaha

can't wait to finish it, when i have ppl over. no way i could get through this shit alone hahaha

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
watched four eps last night and there's some cheese there, but fuck is it good. legit good horror, that main actress playing 'marianne' is so fucking good. really had me checking my shadows and shit hahaha

can't wait to finish it, when i have ppl over. no way i could get through this shit alone hahaha

Just finished episode 2, and yeah, this is so good! Very impressive.

I know what you mean by having to check the shadows. After the first five minutes of the second episode I was already at the edge of my seat! lol!

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Finished episode 3 of Marianne.

This really is right in my wheelhouse. I can see the playfulness that pops up when the show isn't in horror-mode being a turnoff for some but I find it to be delightful(if still a bit jarring the first time it really shows up) and helps keep the show away from Les Revenants' style perpetual dourness.

The cast is uniformly excellent, with Mireille Herbstmeyer(Marianne) and Lucie Boujenah(Camille) being the two big standouts, and the show's command of tone is just fantastic. The way the show can flip between 'slightly comical investigating' to 'drama about how much of a trash person Emma is' to 'outright horror' is something to behold. Frequently these just blend into each other and it feels like it shouldn't be possible to play these disparate tones so close to each other without losing a beat but it happens all over the place here.
For example we have the lighthearted breaking and entering scene, Emma tries to parkour herself over the fence even, and that leads right into the spooky shit in the actual house.

And because I recently saw IT: Chapter 2 and didn't care for it at all, I should mention how I was blown away by the scene with the gathering of the friends at the wreck. I truly think this show did a better job of 'childhood friends with traumatic past meet again as adults.' And it did it with us only knowing one of the characters, knowing nothing concrete about the events of the past, and all in a scant 10 minutes.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
And because I recently saw IT: Chapter 2 and didn't care for it at all, I should mention how I was blown away by the scene with the gathering of the friends at the wreck. I truly think this show did a better job of 'childhood friends with traumatic past meet again as adults.' And it did it with us only knowing one of the characters, knowing nothing concrete about the events of the past, and all in a scant 10 minute

And it's a shame IT: Chapter 2 was so average because I was really looking forward to this movie. The scene you're referring to in Marianne feels so real, and it's especially great when you learn more about the group a bit later in the series.

I've now finished episode 6, and honestly I'm still very impressed. One thing I appreciate is that narratively it doesn't take the easy and obvious paths, which is refreshing considering many of the horror movies that were released recently. And the direction is absolutely amazing. Really looking forward to the ending, I hope it will be as well executed as the rest.

Also, can I say that those flesh bags are just fucking disgusting?

Last edited:

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Marianne is good. Like really good. Clearly not ultra imaginative and full of new horror stuff but it's executed really well. There are some really creepy stuff where I'm at (ep5).

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Marianne.

Trying to keep my hyperbole in check but I really think this is one of the best things Netflix has produced, horror or no.

I was riveted from beginning to end, the cast was uniformly excellent(Aurore in the backseat with Arnaud is just fantastic), the pacing was perfect, it was spooky and tense, fun and heartfelt. I really have very little to say about it that isn't just a beat-for-beat recollection of the show and its moments.

One area of note that the show excels at is its visuals. Having only watched it once there are already numerous images that are burned into my mind, from something as simple as the gorgeous shot of young Emma throwing the doll into the sea], to the repetition of some form of Marianne hiding behind the open door of the closet in the classroom, to the way characters' eye would reflect light while they were in shadow/in the dark, to Marianne and Emma fighting over the gun in the final episode. Heck, the actress they got to play actual Marianne just had the most striking eyes in general. It was just all fantastic.

jet1911 mentioned that the show wasn't particularly original, which is true, although I don't find that to be a problem. Besides the fact that originality is a very, very rare thing, I actually love seeing works tackling similar ideas in their own way. Besides the previously mentioned IT, I also felt a lot of Nightmare On Elm Street in there and feeling those two side by side made me realize just how similar those two are to each other.

So, yeah, great show. Everyone should watch it and love it and sing its praises to the masses.

I only have one minor quibble:
I felt that Camille got the short end of the stick. She is so prominent in the first 3 or so episodes and then is just cast aside until the very, very end. I found this particularly odd because a lot of importance is put on friendship and a big part of Emma and Camille's relationship is that she is the closest thing Emma has to a friend(as an adult). Emma even directly says as much which is basically what prompts Camille to come back. But once Camille is hurt Emma never really reacts to it, she is too caught up with her parents and then fighting Marianne and poor Camille is just sidelined.

And it's a shame IT: Chapter 2 was so average because I was really looking forward to this movie. The scene you're referring to in Marianne feels so real, and it's especially great when you learn more about the group a bit later in the series.
The flashback episode is so wonderfully done, both in execution but also in that is plays out different than one might imagine.
I don't think I had a clear idea of what I thought went down in the past, I knew it was bad and someone clearly died, but the way Lucie dies is so horrible and sad, and the way Emma turns herself into a pariah to distance herself from everything she cares about(explaining why modern day Emma is the way she is), it all fits so perfectly together while also feeling surprising. Rarely do you get a flashback story that zigs when you expect it to zag.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm running a bit behind on the 31 Days of Horror thread. Just wanted to keep everyone updated since I got some questions about it.

I'm hoping to have it up tomorrow (Thursday).

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Finished Marianne.

Trying to keep my hyperbole in check but I really think this is one of the best things Netflix has produced, horror or no.

I was riveted from beginning to end, the cast was uniformly excellent(Aurore in the backseat with Arnaud is just fantastic), the pacing was perfect, it was spooky and tense, fun and heartfelt. I really have very little to say about it that isn't just a beat-for-beat recollection of the show and its moments.

One area of note that the show excels at is its visuals. Having only watched it once there are already numerous images that are burned into my mind, from something as simple as the gorgeous shot of young Emma throwing the doll into the sea], to the repetition of some form of Marianne hiding behind the open door of the closet in the classroom, to the way characters' eye would reflect light while they were in shadow/in the dark, to Marianne and Emma fighting over the gun in the final episode. Heck, the actress they got to play actual Marianne just had the most striking eyes in general. It was just all fantastic.

jet1911 mentioned that the show wasn't particularly original, which is true, although I don't find that to be a problem. Besides the fact that originality is a very, very rare thing, I actually love seeing works tackling similar ideas in their own way. Besides the previously mentioned IT, I also felt a lot of Nightmare On Elm Street in there and feeling those two side by side made me realize just how similar those two are to each other.

So, yeah, great show. Everyone should watch it and love it and sing its praises to the masses.

I only have one minor quibble:
I felt that Camille got the short end of the stick. She is so prominent in the first 3 or so episodes and then is just cast aside until the very, very end. I found this particularly odd because a lot of importance is put on friendship and a big part of Emma and Camille's relationship is that she is the closest thing Emma has to a friend(as an adult). Emma even directly says as much which is basically what prompts Camille to come back. But once Camille is hurt Emma never really reacts to it, she is too caught up with her parents and then fighting Marianne and poor Camille is just sidelined.

The flashback episode is so wonderfully done, both in execution but also in that is plays out different than one might imagine.
I don't think I had a clear idea of what I thought went down in the past, I knew it was bad and someone clearly died, but the way Lucie dies is so horrible and sad, and the way Emma turns herself into a pariah to distance herself from everything she cares about(explaining why modern day Emma is the way she is), it all fits so perfectly together while also feeling surprising. Rarely do you get a flashback story that zigs when you expect it to zag.

Also finished Marianne yesterday evening. It was so good! Definitely the best horror series I ever saw. It was genuinely terrifying at times, as well as being so skillfully directed. It was also very well acted. The show mostly avoided all the tired clichés associated with this kind of horror, which made all 8 episodes so fun to watch.

And the ending!

I couldn't stop myself from thinking about Rosemary's Baby. If there's a season 2, I wonder how they'll handle that. And you're right, that poor Camille... but I have a feeling she would have an important part in a S2.

Jul 18, 2018
Just finished watching Terrifier.
Uh.....
That was something alright. You can see the resemblance of the clowns performance here with that of The Joker.
Scary asf clown.

But those deaths were quite something

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Curse of La Llorona and Us are $14 right now. Is La Llorona worth that price?

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Blumhouse + post-Upgrade Whannell means I have way more faith and hype in this than whatever the Dark Univserse version was going to be
Agreed.

One part of me liked the idea of dark universe. Getting a team of people to run it was smart I thought. I even liked the casting they had done. And just the idea of getting monster movies was awesome.

But the mummy was a huge dud and kurtzman was always the wrong choice to help lead it.

This method is way better. I'm excited for it. Love Whannel and hope blumhouse has more ideas to get these films made and done right.

A creative team of say Wan,Whannel and Blum would have been a much better option to guide dark universe.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone has anything they'd like included in the 31 Days of Horror OP, now's your chance.

Recommendation lists, new legal streaming sites, plugs for your movies/short films, whatever. Post it here or PM me and I'll include it. The thread is basically done and will be posted in an hour or two.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone has anything they'd like included in the 31 Days of Horror OP, now's your chance.

Recommendation lists, new legal streaming sites, plugs for your movies/short films, whatever. Post it here or PM me and I'll include it. The thread is basically done and will be posted in an hour or two.
Would it be too much to have everyone that wants to share their lists from 2018 in the OP under their own spoiler tags? Would be cool to give people ideas for movies right off the bat and it gives people a chance to compare lists in one centralized area.

Also, is there a caption for the thread already?

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
The Curse of La Llorona and Us are $14 right now. Is La Llorona worth that price?

Eh, possibly, depending on how you feel about modern teen-oriented horror. Certainly not any more than that. I enjoyed parts of it; there were some decent setups, Linda Cardellini was great in it, I enjoyed the 70's vibe and the washed out colors. That being said, the plot was sketchy at best, it dragged in parts even with a lean running time, and the ending was kind of a mess. I'll probably pick it up for the collection eventually (though I'm hoping for sub $10), but I'm a sucker for the multiplex teeny-bopper horror shit. The Conjuring universe connections are tenuous at best.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Would it be too much to have everyone that wants to share their lists from 2018 in the OP under their own spoiler tags? Would be cool to give people ideas for movies right off the bat and it gives people a chance to compare lists in one centralized area.

Also, is there a caption for the thread already?

Hm, I've honestly never considered adding a collection of 2018 lists. Sure, I guess I can add that. It'll have to be something I add to after the thread goes up, but if people want their lists linked I'll add'em in.

No caption, I'm honestly not a fan of them and don't include them.