• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Any other Shudder/Hulu/Prime/Netflix recommendations?

So far I've watched.

Child's Play 2019
Satan's Little Helper
Hell House LLC
Hell House LLC 2
Hell House LLC 3
Monster Squad
Jackals
Creepshow episodes 1 and 2
The Shining
The Witch in the Window
Belzebuth
Satan's Slaves

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

So far I've watched.

Child's Play 2019
Satan's Little Helper
Hell House LLC
Hell House LLC 2
Hell House LLC 3
Monster Squad
Jackals
Creepshow episodes 1 and 2
The Shining
The Witch in the Window
Belzebuth
Satan's Slaves
Creepshow 2 proper is on Shudder iirc

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yall NEED to watch Little Monsters on Hulu. If you like Horror comedy this will be right up your alley. I rank it among Shaun of the Dead and Tucker and Dale.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018

So far I've watched.

One Cut of the Dead on Shudder was a pretty great J-horror comedy. I rated it 4/5 and I'm a somewhat harsh rater whose gotten tired with the zombie subgenre. Angst is an amazing and disturbing German home invasion/serial killer horror on Shudder, I recommend it to everyone who asks me for Shudder recommendations.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know they actually sold the comic version of Creepshow 1. I came across it in a Barnes and Noble today
9781501163227_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that it's still canon that Michael got shot 6 ties and fell out of a 2nd story balcony, then went to jail

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
3 From Hell was so mediocre. The biggest issue is the lack of Sid really, it kinda feels like they shouldn't have bothered to make this without Sid's full involvement in the first place. It's great when the Firefly's interact and are their demented self having fun, but the whole thing feels so pointless especially with how it ends.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Rob Zombie career has been such a let down. He is just so one note.

The day he stops casting his wife in everything is the day he might finally deliver something great.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-posting from the 31 Days threads
So what is the thing with the whole "elevated horror" nonsense? I get the same vibe from that as I do from people who use "walking sim" unironically. Did people forget stuff like Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, Repulsion, etc.? Slow-burn thematic horror has always been a thing, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen directors like Eggers or Aster trying to place their movies on a pedestal above other horror movies.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing. Was just sharing that here too if there were any thoughts on it. I've seen those sentiments popping up again (not in that thread) with Lighthouse on the horizon.
Yeah, I don't really understand it. It's a pretty good time to be a horror fan. While I would appreciate a few more creature features or monster designs, there's a good variety of quality horror films, from gory slashers to unsettling drama.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I would probably skip 4 From Hell if Sid hadn't passed away. With that being said, I'm watching it tonight

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a movie called Ghost Stories on Hulu. After turning off some crap I found on Amazon, I wasn't expecting much, but it was a surprisingly well crafted movie. Great practical effects.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Watched Slumber Party Massacre 2 and Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3 last night. Pretty fun time. Though it was very obvious Sleepaway Camp 3 was shot immediately after 2 and had what seemed like no budget. Did not expect the use of the n word. I've watched a lot of schlock in the genre but I don't recall any others doing that.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw An American Werewolf in London for the first time last night. The suddenness of that dream with the nazis was was hilarious.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any notable horror additions to the streaming platforms this week? Got the house to myself for the weekend.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Watched The Furies and The Ranger last night. Was more impressed with the former. Fun little concept and made me want to see the director tackle Friday the 13th.

Tonight I watched Pledge which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. For a Kickstarter film it was pretty well acted and the sets were excellent.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't usually watch horror, but I've been getting the itch since watching The Haunting of Hill House (2018), which I fell in love with. I've been trying to fill that void with other Netflix stuff; I most liked Marianne and It (2017). I'm looking for something that is both good / decent in itself, and also terrifying, more in terms of tension / ambientation / anticipation than jump scares. Horror experts, do you have any recommendations that fit that description? :D

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching Hereditary. So much to unpack in the last act of the film. Definitely need to actually read some occultist materials to get half of what was going on there and likely open up the story in full.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching Hereditary. So much to unpack in the last act of the film. Definitely need to actually read some occultist materials to get half of what was going on there and likely open up the story in full.
Basic gist of it is that the grandma was a satanist agreeing to serve this demon in exchange for wealth. Part of that agreement included finding a host for it, and this demon had specific requirements, like being in a male body. The grandma always wanted to hang around the son but the mom wouldn't let her so she had the daughter as sort of an 'offering' to the grandma and the demon was using her as a host. I think that's supposed to be why she's the way she is. When the daughter died they started gaslighting the mom and son and driving them into insanity so they could put the demon in the son

Jan 15, 2018
I don't usually watch horror, but I've been getting the itch since watching The Haunting of Hill House (2018), which I fell in love with. I've been trying to fill that void with other Netflix stuff; I most liked Marianne and It (2017). I'm looking for something that is both good / decent in itself, and also terrifying, more in terms of tension / ambientation / anticipation than jump scares. Horror experts, do you have any recommendations that fit that description? :D

Ghost Stories might be up your alley, it builds tension extremely well, there are a couple of jump scares, but they're more than earned. It has a great cast too, It's on Hulu

A Dark Song is also excellent, it's a great slow burn. the less you know going into it, the better. It's on Netflix.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basic gist of it is that the grandma was a satanist agreeing to serve this demon in exchange for wealth. Part of that agreement included finding a host for it, and this demon had specific requirements, like being in a male body. The grandma always wanted to hang around the son but the mom wouldn't let her so she had the daughter as sort of an 'offering' to the grandma and the demon was using her as a host. I think that's supposed to be why she's the way she is. When the daughter died they started gaslighting the mom and son and driving them into insanity so they could put the demon in the son

I got all that and the mental health stuff. It's the occultist symbolism I have no idea about but just quickly looking is pretty deep.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ghost Stories might be up your alley, it builds tension extremely well, there are a couple of jump scares, but they're more than earned. It has a great cast too, It's on Hulu

A Dark Song is also excellent, it's a great slow burn. the less you know going into it, the better. It's on Netflix.

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately I don't have Hulu and A Dark Song doesn't seem to be available on Netflix Spain. :(

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never realized how much of a foothold Blumhouse actually has in modern horror (both good and bad) until now

Paranormal Activity series
Insidious series
Sinister series
The Purge series
Ouija series
New Halloween series
Happy Death Day series
Get Out
Oculus
Split
The Visit
etc.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm waiting for Thirteen Ghosts to come on for tonight's movie and I'm catching the tail end of Halloween H20. This is fricken hilarious.

Michael is walking towards them and they're trying every key on this damn keyring before he can close this 50 yard gap. Then they drop the keys outside of the gate. Then they get locked out of the door behind the gate and when Michael can't reach them through the knife he picks up the keys and casually tries each one while they yell for help. He finally gets the one that works when someone lets them into the building.

His inner thoughts must be hilarious.

"Hmm, no that's not it *flips to next key* maybe this? No, not that one either. Give me a second, guys. There are like 10 keys on here..."

Mar 3, 2019
Don't know if this includes new movies, but just finished Countdown that just came out in theaters. That movie is all jump scares and plot is hilariously bad. Some good comedy bits in it though.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
What is everyone's thoughts on The Grudge trailer?
I like that they're doing something different with it and i think it was a great trailer. Excited to see it

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well, October and thus 31 Days of Horror is over. I hate November 1st. :(

Got a extra free month on Shudder, so I plan to finish up on Creepshow along with watching Why Horror? and Never Sleep Again (although I haven't seen Freddy vs Jason yet).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the movie of Doctor Sleep but do they keep the sadistic brutality of the vampires
torturing kids to death to feed on their pain?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Side thought but when reading the book they reminded me of the Warhammer 40k Dark Eldar. They also sustain their pseudo immortality by feeding off the pain and suffering of their victims.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Rewatching Child's Play 2 and I forgot just how funny this movie is.
When she hits Chucky with the car and he yells "you goddamn women drivers!"
And when he kills the orphanage owner and he tells Andy "snap out of it, you act like you've never seen a dead body before" lol