• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
So I watched Laid to Rest yesterday or at least tried to because I turned it off after about 30 minutes. I was intimidated because I heard a third Laid to Rest movie is coming out and I was always curious because this chromeskull mask looked cool...

But is this like one of the worst movies I have ever seen? There is not even the slightest attempt to create any kind of story. Dude shows up, murders people and that's it and after about 30 minutes I was done with it. I don't mind low budget movies, but this was just stupidity on a whole new level.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
p16324150-v-v8-aa.jpg

Man. What an absolute disappointment. I'm usually swooning when it comes to A24 horror, but this is definitely a misfire.

My review below:

https://letterboxd.com/kinggroin/film/the-hole-in-the-ground-2019/

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Oct 26, 2017
UK
p16324150-v-v8-aa.jpg

Man. What an absolute disappointment. I'm usually swooning when it comes to A24 horror, but this is definitely a misfire.

My review below:

https://letterboxd.com/kinggroin/film/the-hole-in-the-ground-2019/

I just got out of the cinema seeing this and I really liked it. Slow burning, creeping and moody. Babadook meets body snatches with a sprinkling of the shining. (Okay not really that last one but the wall paper was definitely vibing off the shining lol).

Really liked the lead actress, thought she was great. The last 20 minutes or so was a slight misstep but overall still really liked it.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just got out of the cinema seeing this and I really liked it. Slow burning, creeping and moody. Babadook meets body snatches with a sprinkling of the shining. (Okay not really that last one but the wall paper was definitely vibing off the shining lol).

Really liked the lead actress, thought she was great. The last 20 minutes or so was a slight misstep but overall still really liked it.

I'm genuinely happy that it worked for you.

Also, I got some Shelley Duvall vibes from the lead, so maybe the influences extend past the wallpaper :-)

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was rooting around on Amazon Prime for something to watch and came across Isolation (2006). It piqued my interest with Essie Davis of Babadook fame getting a high billing in a film before Babadook released.
Turns out it was a surprisingly fun biological horror. Nothing super fancy, but well done enough that it was worth the watch. Essie was fantastic in it but Ruth Negga who I'd never seen before really put in a great performance.
It's well worth a watch if you have access to it.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I just saw that starting March 29th, Shudder is doing a nine-episode weekly series with The Last Drive-In With Joe Bob Briggs. Apparently, each episode will be a double feature.

This is very good news! I really like hosted horror movie screenings. And frankly, Joe Bob Briggs is just so much fun. Very excited!

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Woke up at 3am to crippling diarrhea pains. Ran sweating and naked to the toilet. Browsed Letterboxd and saw another Sato-film review on my feed. So let's try Sato out, I tell myself. Oh—here's a good one; looks like horror.
220px-naked_bloodqikuu.jpg

A VR cactus threesome sex scene, dizzying bouts of self mutilations and screamin' squirts later, I was sure that I had emptied much more than just my bowels.

It's not the way I intended or envisioned myself getting into his filmography, but forever being associated with a violent case of the runs does seems oddly fitting. Trash in, trash out. Maybe I'll make these early morning bad sushi episodes into something of a ritual.

https://letterboxd.com/kinggroin/film/splatter-naked-blood/

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
HORROR |OT| - The loser's club

LMAO!

EDIT: Speaking of club, I don't know if it would resonate with a lot of people here, but why not a throwback to the good old Are You Afraid of the Dark show?

Something like: HORROR |OT| - The Midnight Society

Or something like that... it sure is a bit cheesy, but I'm in a nostalgia phase these days :p

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Treated myself to some Blu-rays from Amazon...

I Saw the Devil
The Loved Ones
Martyrs
You're Next

Martyrs is an upgrade from the DVD I have, and the other 3 are first time viewings I've heard a lot of good things about (especially I Saw the Devil)

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

I Saw the Devil
The Loved Ones
Martyrs
You're Next

Martyrs is an upgrade from the DVD I have, and the other 3 are first time viewings I've heard a lot of good things about (especially I Saw the Devil)

I really liked You're Next when I first saw it a few years ago. Make sure to share your thoughts once you get the chance to watch it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I watched You're Next recently for the first time myself. I thought it was pretty good. The lead role and actress is FANTASTIC.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

I Saw the Devil
The Loved Ones
Martyrs
You're Next

Great picks! I loved all of them enough to buy them myself, though I need to upgrade Loved Ones and Martyrs to BR.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fascinating video breaking down how closely different Dracula adaptations follow the book.

(I haven't seen the 1977 BBC, 2006 BBC, 1970 Franco, 1953 Turkish, or 1931 Spanish versions.)

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Got around to Suspira 2018 finally and really enjoyed it. Along side the scene from Hereditary, the Dance of Death scene in Suspira was one of the most brutal things I'd ever seen. It was genuinely difficult to sit through and I almost skipped it. Sound design and visuals were brilliant in that moment. Also one thing I noticed is that both Suspira and Mandy had
insane bloody scenes that were shot psychedelically. Not much to comment on but I thought that was an interesting parity between two very different horror films.

I also watched The Witch Files on Netflix. I don't know what it is but I love even crappy found footage movies and think I've wiped out every choice on Netflix from Apollo 18 to Hungerford to Grave Encounters to As Above to every single Paranormal Activity entry. I really should consider starting up my Hulu and Amazon Prime again for more. I finally realize that found footage is the so bad it's good type thing that I cling to the same way some cling to awful B, C, & even D grade slashers or monster movies. The Witch Files was definitely bad but with its own bit of charm. Essentially it's Chronicle but with an all girl cast and magic powers. The acting and some of the lines they make these girls read are baffling at times but premise and plot wise, it had so much potential. In fact I could totally imagine a prestige TV show based on it on HBO or Showtime with better acting, production values and fleshed out characters being something really big.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm really glad we're beginning to see some positive comments about the Suspiria remake. Like I also said in the movie thread, while I like the original, I also really like what they did with the remake. Suspiria is definitely not a movie for everyone, but I think the overwhelming negativity surrounding the remake was unwarranted.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm really glad we're beginning to see some positive comments about the Suspiria remake. Like I also said in the movie thread, while I like the original, I also really like what they did with the remake. Suspiria is definitely not a movie for everyone, but I think the overwhelming negativity surrounding the remake was unwarranted.

Its all just opinions.

I was super hyped for it and found it incredibly dull. I'm not wrong for not liking it and you're absolutely not wrong for liking it.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Oh, I'm not saying anybody is wrong or right, just that I find it interesting to hear different kinds of opinions now than when it just came out :p

It's funny because to me it seemed I was in the minority. I saw way more people heaping praise on it lol.

I missed the vibrancy of the original, though I know it was a choice to go with a muted and more severe palette. I do think there is a good 90 minute movie in there but as it is was a bit over long to me.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
PSA to horror fans:

The first live double feature presentation of The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs is tonight on Shudder! 9 pm ET / 6 pm PT

I wonder what movies they'll show.

EDIT: It was C.H.U.D. (1984) and Castle Freak (1995).

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I saw Lords of Chaos tonight and I think I hated it.

Its definitely a tough watch with some pretty explicit and brutal scenes. But the biggest problem with the movie was its lack of focus on how it wanted to frame the story. The tone is all over the place. There is like zero character development.. it's a shame because it is an interesting story.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Its definitely a tough watch with some pretty explicit and brutal scenes. But the biggest problem with the movie was its lack of focus on how it wanted to frame the story. The tone is all over the place. There is like zero character development.. it's a shame because it is an interesting story.

It was a pretty awful but funny flick. I laughed out loud at
the cocoa scene, and the line, "Are you christian, Kristian?
It's also been hilarious to watch the butthurt from Burzum fans, and the man himself.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I watched a couple of films over the weekend

The Clovehitch Killer
It was a cool idea but I guess it just didn't tell the story I wanted it too, I would have preferred there to be more mystery I guess, more question and doubts as to who the clovehitch killer was rather than it being kind of obvious from the first 10 minutes. It wasn't a bad movie by any means just I feel it could have been told in a much more interesting way. Dylan McDermott is fantastic in this though, really top performance from him.

Piercing
Wow. This film is kind of hard to describe. Its brutal and shocking, extremely weird, at times darkly funny and has a cool 70s aesthetic and some great music. Christopher Abbott and Mia Waskowska are both great in it, and they have to be for the movie to work. I was constantly wincing and turning away from the screen. Not for everyone but I kind of dug it.

Oct 27, 2017
I never knew about this thread! Omg. I'm a horror junkie, as well!

I've recently been listenting to audios and watching animated horror videos of 'true' stories on YT, which are a fun distraction. Anyone familiar with Mr.Nightmare?

I recently discovered his YT channel. Though he claims these are 'true' stories, they sound fake af. However, they're very entertaining and some are very creepy (his narration is also really good).

I've also been enjoying some of reddit stories (honestly, I'm addicted). Everything from r/Nosleep to r/Letsnotmeet and even creepy r/Askreddit threads. I'm linking my own stash for you guys to read them if you want (it's a compilation of threads that someone did, of all creepy/disturbing ask reddit threads).

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...s_the_scariest_reddit_post/djex0fk/?context=3
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...s_the_scariest_reddit_post/djfkr14/?context=3

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Adrienne Barbeau hosts a podcast with Shudder to discuss horror with other guests in the genre, both in front of the camera, and behind:

https://www.shudder.com/series/watch/she-kills-a-shudder-original-podcast/4801968?season=1

Should be available in your podcast directory of choice (pocketcasts, apple etc .). I'm listening now, and its pretty cool.

Just wanted to mention how great this podcast was! I recently began listening to it, and it's honestly a real delight. Should be mandatory for everyone interested in the genre.

voodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to mention how great this podcast was! I recently began listening to it, and it's honestly a real delight. Should be mandatory for everyone interested in the genre.

Ah cool, glad you enjoyed them :) I have a few left to listen to, but each so far have been great listens. and I enjoy the diverse guests they've had on. They really need to trim the outro though lol.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Watched Darabont's The Mist for probably the fourth or fifth time in my life and chased it with several episodes of the TV series on Netflix which I'm getting to for the first time. I still love King's story (It's probably been 15 or so years since I read it though) and the Darabont adaptation. I still say "Something in the mist! Took John Dee!" randomly even today. The series however has issues. It's not vomit-inducingly awful. There are good characters, production design and all. But for me the horror and the edge goes away with what they decide to do with the mist itself.
I actually really do love the idea of the mist itself being a creature all on its own. An entity that can peer into people and draw out their fears to prey on them. But that whole strange humanoid mist monster that swallows souls is just lame. The idea of hostile alien wildlife is so much more unsettling than a smoke monster. I paused after the hospital escape and will go back to finish the season. I don't have high hopes of it getting much better though.

Last edited:

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Watched The Ritual the other night now it's finally been added to UK Netflix. It's really not bad - formula plotting but a good cast, fantastic creature design, and they dropped the silliest element from the book:
The black metal band cultists

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need birthday gift for a horror fan into ghost stories and Stephen King. Any suggestions?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Watched Lord Of Illusions again. It's so so good. I love occult detective stuff like this and Angel Heart. The film gives me vibes of Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy, particularly Prince of Darkness and Mouth of Madness. Now I'm on a real Clive Barker kick. Got the complete Books of Blood on my Kindle and might reread the Books of The Art as well.

I need birthday gift for a horror fan into ghost stories and Stephen King. Any suggestions?
As a King fan too, they might enjoy a Dark Tower box set if they don't already have it. There a two that seem to be on Amazon of about equal quality. I also don't know if I imagined it or if it was something else but I thought there was one of those big convoluted posters rround that referenced every King story. If you can find something like that it might be cool too.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Been going through the Into The Dark movies on Hulu.

Down: Best one yet. I always love a good claustrophobic movie or horror film centered around a really small cast.

The Treehouse: Kind of started out okay but the writing and characters I felt were just abit too obnoxious/high on their own jokes and quips. Quickly made it all and everyone very annoying, especially the main character who just wouldn't stop.

The Body: This one was pretty fun. More of my sense of humor than The Treehouse's. Its gory, its goofy, its got an over the top eloquent evil hitman giving an opening monologue about weird cheese, I would recommend it.

Pooka: I really wanted to like this one. Its weird, the costume is creepy but...its just not all there. Probably let me down the most so far. Interesting concept let down by its execution.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just got out of seeing pet semetary and I really wish I hadn't read the book last month.

All the changes they decided to make bar 1 really rubbed me the wrong way coming do fresh off the book which I absolutely loved.

It's weird because I think if I hadn't read the book I would have liked the film over all but as it is it felt flat, rushed and very little character development.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of seeing pet semetary and I really wish I hadn't read the book last month.

All the changes they decided to make bar 1 really rubbed me the wrong way coming do fresh off the book which I absolutely loved.

It's weird because I think if I hadn't read the book I would have liked the film over all but as it is it felt flat, rushed and very little character development.
Sometimes the remake turns sour. What you adapt ain't always what the source was.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Apparently, it has very mixed reviews. I just saw one that was especially harsh:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...he-funniest-film-of-2019-no-thats-not-a-typo/

"Pet Sematary remake may be the funniest film of 2019–no, that's not a typo"

Abandon all hopes for an IT repeat, Stephen King fans.
To be clear, I wasn't necessarily a huge fan of last year's It adaptation, but at least that film had its share of quality surprises, gore-splosions, and unique twists on the scary-clown cliché. Do not go into Pet Sematary expecting any quality overlap.

You're definitely not the only one thinking it feels flat and rushed... That's unfortunate, I was kind of hoping for something better. I'll probably still go see it and judge for myself, but looks like I'll need to keep my expectations in check.

Or maybe I'll just treat myself to the recent 4K release of the original!