• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is, it doesn't always come back the same?

It's been done. What you've been thinking of has been done.

It was a kids' cartoon called Avatar: The Last Airbender. It ended, back in the mid 00's. M. Night Shyamalan was so grief stricken, he tried to adapt it.

Sometimes, source material is better

The material you adapt, ain't the material that gets made. It may look like the source material, but it ain't that source material.

It was 4 or 5 days after the premiere. Couple of fans went to go see The Last Airbender. As time went by, lots of folks saw The Last Airbender, but it was those fans, who finally came to us casual viewer folks, and said it had to be stopped. They knew it was an abomination.

Unfamiliar with this one

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's been done. What you've been thinking of has been done.

It was a kids' cartoon called Avatar: The Last Airbender. It ended, back in the mid 00's. M. Night Shyamalan was so grief stricken, he tried to adapt it.

Sometimes, source material is better

The material you adapt, ain't the material that gets made. It may look like the source material, but it ain't that source material.

It was 4 or 5 days after the premiere. Couple of fans went to go see The Last Airbender. As time went by, lots of folks saw The Last Airbender, but it was those fans, who finally came to us casual viewer folks, and said it had to be stopped. They knew it was an abomination.

Unfamiliar with this one

Joe Hill is the name Stephen King's son uses when he writes and publishes his novels and short stories. He's got some good books out, like 20th Century Ghosts (one of the best short story collections I've read), Heart-Shaped Box, Horns, N0S4A2, The Fireman...

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I still need to see US and Cap'n Marvel so I think I'll skip Pet Semetary until VOD and just read the book. The original adaptation is still my only experience with the story and I keep hearing that the book is scarier than the original and new adaptations anyway.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Joe Hill is the name Stephen King's son uses when he writes and publishes his novels and short stories. He's got some good books out, like 20th Century Ghosts (one of the best short story collections I've read), Heart-Shaped Box, Horns, N0S4A2, The Fireman...
Check out his Strange Weather too. Joe Hill unbelievably is better than his father.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So the guy that made ThanksKilling made a moody atmospheric character-driven dark fantasy-horror movie. I actually really enjoyed The Head Hunter. The low budget shows at times, mainly towards the end with the creature, but overall it was solid and unique. I'd love to see what Jordan Downey could do with a larger budget if he can do something as atmospheric and different as The Head Hunter for like $20,000

The Head Hunter might have worked better as a short film. Or rather a shorter film, since it isn't even 80 minutes. Low-budget genre fare with a main cast of one, it fits snugly in that short film mold with a very minimalist premise and a singular focus. An isolated monster hunter finally gets the chance to avenge his daughter; that's the plot of The Head Hunter.

But the extended duration also works in the movie's favor. It's a one-man show, and Christopher Rygh as the titular character absolutely sells the monotonous preparation, the painful aftermaths, the loneliness and festering grief. The pacing lets The Head Hunter establish a lived-in atmospheric corner of a larger world, through the protagonist's messy hovel with its wall of spiked heads and alchemical worktable. You get the sense of a Nordic kingdom beset by fierce monstrosities, all through little details and the build-up to the hunt. And once that fateful hunt begins, The Head Hunter has some clever, gory tricks up its sleeves that add to the tension and horror.

The low budget is apparent, mainly in what the movie chooses to obscure or keep off-screen. However that aspect never comes across as cheap, but rather as deliberate and smart. The bleak rugged atmosphere, gorgeous landscape vistas, the design of the hunter's armor and equipment and home all create a distinctly grounded aesthetic.

The Head Hunter is b-movie simple, but becomes something unique thanks to its spartan approach and character-driven mix of dark fantasy, horror, and revenge.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So the guy that made ThanksKilling made a moody atmospheric character-driven dark fantasy-horror movie. I actually really enjoyed The Head Hunter. The low budget shows at times, mainly towards the end with the creature, but overall it was solid and unique. I'd love to see what Jordan Downey could do with a larger budget if he can do something as atmospheric and different as The Head Hunter for like $20,000
ThanksKilling is really fun considering the $0 budget. 3 was................... an elaborate troll most likely. But I'm not that surprised to hear he made something else that's fun to watch.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
So drugged and bored I watched Terrifier on Netflix. I almost can't believe it. This more than any movie I've watched infuriated me in terms of character actions. I expect people to be somewhat stupid in cheesy horror movies but this was like on another level. Every character did the exact opposite of the sensible thing on multiple occasions.
There were literally 3 or 4 moments when slaughtering the villain should have been the first thing the characters did before anything else but they just seemed to choose not too.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So drugged and bored I watched Terrifier on Netflix. I almost can't believe it. This more than any movie I've watched infuriated me in terms of character actions. I expect people to be somewhat stupid in cheesy horror movies but this was like on another level. Every character did the exact opposite of the sensible thing on multiple occasions.
There were literally 3 or 4 moments when slaughtering the villain should have been the first thing the characters did before anything else but they just seemed to choose not too.
I hated it. I'd barely call it a movie, it feels more like a collection of scenes or disjointed shorts than anything cohesive. No characters, not really a plot, and while the clown himself was effectively creepy visually (that actor gives one great physical performance with all those mannerisms and expressions and looks), he was never scary and neither was the movie.

I saw an impression online that compared the gore to stuff like Inside and Martyrs and Saw, and it's really doesn't. Oh, there are certainly buckets of blood and guts and dismemberment and all that stuff, but it all came across as so fake and weightless. You watch Inside or Martyrs and the violence and gore practically hurts to watch because it feels like people suffering and the sense of suspense gives the violence purpose. There's narrative momentum and each act of bloodshed is another turn of the screw, another milestone on the road towards the conclusion. Terrifier never feels like that.

Actually, for an 84 minute movie, it feels too long. I checked the clock once and was kind of shocked that I was only an hour in because it felt like the movie was almost over.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I hated it. I'd barely call it a movie, it feels more like a collection of scenes or disjointed shorts than anything cohesive. No characters, not really a plot, and while the clown himself was effectively creepy visually (that actor gives one great physical performance with all those mannerisms and expressions and looks), he was never scary and neither was the movie.

I saw an impression online that compared the gore to stuff like Inside and Martyrs and Saw, and it's really doesn't. Oh, there are certainly buckets of blood and guts and dismemberment and all that stuff, but it all came across as so fake and weightless. You watch Inside or Martyrs and the violence and gore practically hurts to watch because it feels like people suffering and the sense of suspense gives the violence purpose. There's narrative momentum and each act of bloodshed is another turn of the screw, another milestone on the road towards the conclusion. Terrifier never feels like that.

Actually, for an 84 minute movie, it feels too long. I checked the clock once and was kind of shocked that I was only an hour in because it felt like the movie was almost over.

There's no better way to put it. Hell 5 minutes of victims just walking into an axe through a revolving door would have had more depth. It's funny that the beginning and ending try to suggest some sort of epiphany for the audience but there wasn't any substance in the middle to actually make those scenes have an impact.

And you're right about the gore. There's nothing creative or interesting. I still get shivers when I think of Martys and genuinely believe I can't watch it again. In comparison to Terrifier I might as well have watched a sprinkler squirt out red corn syrup for its duration. It is sad that they wasted a good creepy clown on such bs material. Something like Stitches is more entertaining because at least there is something like a plot and a feeling of progress to latch onto despite not finding the killer in that movie as scary.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yeah Terrifyer was garbage. Just horrible and nasty for horrible and nasty sake.

I also hate Martyrs though I recognise it's a better movie. It just made me feel sick and dirty and when it was over I wished I had never watched it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

SAW does go a little overboard past 5. Going back and watching the first, there's actually very little gore compared to the rest, probably because of the budget. Even 2 is pretty light on actual gore.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Watched the entirety of the King miniseries Storm of the Century all the way through for the first time and really enjoyed it. Not too frightening but very tense.
Even though he was just some random immortal guy I like that the villain isn't beaten or overcome. King could have easily made a happy end where they do something like break his cane to destroy his powers or find some secret book with instructions on how to banish him or even do what the constable said and have the town just wish very hard for him to go away. But he avoided it and it made for a lot more compelling depth and character in that last episode. People couldn't take the easy way out and had to make a difficult and haunting choice.
In comparison to something like Maximum Overdrive, this was a much better script from King. Might check out Rose Red at some point too. Like Storm, I only remember bits and pieces of the time I saw it as a kid.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Burned through some recently:

Deliverance: Not quite horror but lumped in with it often. It's decent but until finally sitting down and watching this I hadn't known that Netflix's Calibre was basically a remake of this but done much better. There isn't a ton of tension here past the middle of the film while Calibre mounts and mounts for the entire duration.

The Nun: Popcorn horror movie. I love Taissa Farmiga and she's alright here but the movie is garbo. Bland, by the numbers jump scare fest.

Mercy Black: Had some nice visuals but the plot makes NO sense with just a little thought put into it. It also feels like it was trying to cash in on that real world Slenderman murder that happened a few years back which didn't seem to be in good taste. Blah.

Ghostwatch: I've been hearing about this one a LOT lately and it's leaving Shudder at the end of this month so I figured it was time to sit down and watch it. Great choice, as it's a fantastic movie. Draws you in, makes you a little bored and safe, then yanks it all away. Everything I wanted WNUF to be, but where I was disappointed in that one, Ghostwatch shines. I LOVE when horror movies just stick something in the background. Blink and you miss it and no character reacts to it but if you catch it you get a little chill. This is full of them! So glad i watched this.

Await Further Instructions: Fun, closed house, suspicion and body horror flick. Totally worth a watch.

Green Room: Suspenseful, filled with familiar actors, interesting plot directions. I liked how it never felt safe and no character seemed to have true plot armor.

Truth or Dare: Popcorn teen horror. College kids have to play a dangerous game, lots of them die in "creative" ways. Not atrocious but pretty forgettable.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

When Terrifier was making waves, and the internet was proclaiming it as the next coming of Carpenter, I tried watching it. Ugh. The "characters" are walking tropes personified taken directly from every B-tier (or below) horror film, and the main antagonist was a clown. You know, because clowns are super scary and in vogue right now. Couldn't get beyond the halfway mark before stopping it, thinking that maybe some day I'll be in the mood to finish it. That day has yet to come.

Await Further Instructions: Fun, closed house, suspicion and body horror flick. Totally worth a watch.

I just finished watching this myself, and as soon as David Bradley appeared, I thought "Oh look, it's Walder Frey". I don't know if he was typecast, or his acting range is just stunted now, but he essentially reprised that role for this film, because he acted just like him.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Some thoughts about the horror movies at the local Night Visions film festival.

The Curse of La Llorona (USA)
A mediocre and predictable American horror in every aspect, with tiresome jump "scare" galore and forced one-liners. Only recommended if you're really into the likes of The Conjuring.

Black Circle (Sweden / Mexico)
A psychedelic indie film with a unique idea, wonderful soundtrack, and Lovecratian undertones. Bonus points for Inger Nilsson's (Pippi Longstocking) cameo role. Highly recommended.

Greta (Ireland / USA)
Isabelle Huppert (The Piano Teacher) played a striking role as a sympathetic psycho in Neil Jordan's (The Company of Wolves & Interview with the Vampire) take on the stalker genre. Bonus points for the nylon scenes. Highly recommended.

P.S. Spot the shining light bulb head of yours truly in the audience:
I0jjG5w.jpg

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Woof, Pet Sematary was rough.
Changing the entire latter half of the story for the worse is not what I wanted from a modern take on an adaptation.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Ghostwatch: I've been hearing about this one a LOT lately and it's leaving Shudder at the end of this month so I figured it was time to sit down and watch it. Great choice, as it's a fantastic movie. Draws you in, makes you a little bored and safe, then yanks it all away. Everything I wanted WNUF to be, but where I was disappointed in that one, Ghostwatch shines. I LOVE when horror movies just stick something in the background. Blink and you miss it and no character reacts to it but if you catch it you get a little chill. This is full of them! So glad i watched this.
One of my favourites. It was partly inspired by the 1973 BBC drama The Stone Tape, which doesn't have the meta elements but does a really good job of slowly building tension.

Anyway, We Have Always Lived in the Castle finally has a release date next month:

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Did a little horror movie marathon this weekend with only films I haven't seen before. So far this is the list (I plan to watch at least two more today):

• Escape Room
It was fun, I guess. I feel like it was trying too much to be Saw, or the next big horror franchise. The sequel set up was lame as hell and the plot was weak. There were a few interesting characters, like the army lady, but most of them were Saw stereotypes. Luckily there were some fun to be had watching them trying to solve the intricate puzzles.

6 Rubik's cubes out of 10. Wouldn't watch it again.

• The Nun
Having read and heard so much bad stuff about this one, I can safely say it was better than I expected it to be. It isn't a masterpiece, of course. But it has some disturbing catholic imagery. It helps that it takes place in Romenia, of course. Also, I love The Conjuring universe, I think these films have good production values and so far they've been at least entertaining.

7 Rosarys out of 10. Would watch it again.

• The Possession of Hannah Grace
This one was forgettable. The premise was very interesting but the execution was lackluster. There was a better morgue film two years ago and it was The Autopsy of Jane Doe. I would recommend that instead.

4 Corpses out of 10. Wouldn't watch it again.

• The Devil's Doorway
This film was way better than it had any right to be. I like found footage movies but they're always more miss than hit. This one was a hit, for sure. It had a great atmosphere, the scenery was a macabre convent full of dark corridors and stairs, underground tunnels and catholic imagery. The cinematography is pretty convincing for the 60's, which is when the story takes place. The actors were all very good, not one of them bothered me at the slightest. Shout out to the oldest Father and the Mother Superior, they were incredible. The only thing I think dragged the film and it's realism down was the excessive use of soundtrack. There are a few jump scares that rely too much on loud music. But it didn't ruin the movie for me, as the rest of the soundtrack was pretty good, with spectacular use of chants and classical music.

9 Crucifixes out of 10. Would definitely watch it again.

• Ghost Stories
This is the one I had most expectations out of these five movies. It's a british anthology film, and I love those! Sadly, it wasn't so good. The first two stories were forgettable and, dare I say, boring. The last story picks up a little thanks to the great Martin Freeman. The ending has a Twilight Zonesque twist that didn't make the movie better nor worse. I thought it was just a flat film, with little to no high points at all.

5 Flying Bed Sheets out of 10. Wouldn't watch it again.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
  • Ghost Stories
This is the one I had most expectations out of these five movies. It's a british anthology film, and I love those! Sadly, it wasn't so good. The first two stories were forgettable and, dare I say, boring. The last story picks up a little thanks to the great Martin Freeman. The ending has a Twilight Zonesque twist that didn't make the movie better nor worse. I thought it was just a flat film, with little to no high points at all.

5 Flying Bed Sheets out of 10. Wouldn't watch it again.

Huh I thought Martin Freemans story was easily the weakest, though he is good in it.

I actually watched the stage play on Friday so it's safe to assume I liked it a lot more than you did.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Huh I thought Martin Freemans story was easily the weakest, though he is good in it.

I actually watched the stage play on Friday so it's safe to assume I liked it a lot more than you did.

Interesting. I had no idea there was a stage play. Maybe I'd liked it better that way, but I'll never know, since I live in Brazil.

As for Freeman's story, I don't know if I thought his tale was better, but he definitely grabbed my attention more than the other actors did. Especially in the scenes after his story was done, which I thought were the most memorable ones in the movie.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Interesting. I had no idea there was a stage play. Maybe I'd liked it better that way, but I'll never know, since I live I Brazil.

As for Freeman's story, I don't know if I thought his tale was better, but he definitely grabbed my attention more than the other actors did. Especially in the scenes after his story was done, which I thought were the most memorable ones in the movie.

Yeah it was a stage play before it was a movie, post the movies release it has had another run.

My favourite story was actually the middle one. It was so ridiculous and absurd but I kind of liked that. Also I thought the kid in that story was superb.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I managed to watch two more movies before the new Game of Thrones episode tonight. And I'm glad I did:

• Mandy

Holy shit at this movie. This was Hellraiser on acid. The first half is a drug induced fever dream, a spectacle of sound and vision. It begins a little slow but when it gets going, oh boy is it good. A neon lit extravaganza as gory as it is stilysh. Nicolas Cage in his most amazing performance of the last decade at least. The bathroom scene should go down in history as one of his better scenes. And the soundtrack is another beast by itself. I highly recommend this one.

9 Chainsaws out of 10. Would definitely watch it again.

• Apostle

I absolutely love Pagan cult movies. The Wicker Man, The Ritual, Kill List, just to name a few. I love it to death. So that alone was enough for me to like this film. But it's actually pretty great. Good performances all around. Great cinematography, there's some really beautiful shots of the island and forest. The pagan imagery is quite good, very reminiscent of the likes of The Wicker Man. It's gory and really well done. Recommended for anyone who's into this kind of film.

8 Forest Goddesses out of 10. Would watch it again.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Did a little horror movie marathon this weekend with only films I haven't seen before. So far this is the list (I plan to watch at least two more today):

• The Devil's Doorway
This film was way better than it had any right to be. I like found footage movies but they're always more miss than hit. This one was a hit, for sure. It had a great atmosphere, the scenery was a macabre convent full of dark corridors and stairs, underground tunnels and catholic imagery. The cinematography is pretty convincing for the 60's, which is when the story takes place. The actors were all very good, not one of them bothered me at the slightest. Shout out to the oldest Father and the Mother Superior, they were incredible. The only thing I think dragged the film and it's realism down was the excessive use of soundtrack. There are a few jump scares that rely too much on loud music. But it didn't ruin the movie for me, as the rest of the soundtrack was pretty good, with spectacular use of chants and classical music.

9 Crucifixes out of 10. Would definitely watch it again.

Thanks for mentioning this. The atmosphere and themes remind me of one of my favorite found footage movies; a 2013 one called Final Prayer (or The Borderlands depending on your region). Disillusioned priest being called to investigate a miracle in a backwater town.
----
Watched The Ceremony (2008) for the 3rd time earlier today and I'll never finish that movie without being pissed at how much of a shaft it got. It's so underrated. Not the worlds greatest horror but I'm sure it would have been a cult favorite if given more of a chance. Not only is it unavailable from Amazon in any form, you can seemingly only get it via iTunes. I bought it on iTunes in like 2014 a few weeks or months after watching it because even then there was basically no other way to watch it. It's about a college dude who experiences a terrifying night in his shared campus home after finding a ritualistic display in the room of a roommate.

Last edited:

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Thanks for mentioning this. The atmosphere and themes remind me of one of my favorite found footage movies; a 2013 one called Final Prayer (or The Borderlands depending on your region). Disillusioned priest being called to investigate a miracle in a backwater town.

Wow. I had totally forgotten about this film. I'm pretty sure I've watched it when it first came out (as Final Prayer I think) cause I remember seeking it out again for it's other name, not realizing it sas the same movie.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I'll try to watch it again this week. I really like this theme and scenery.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Wow. I had totally forgotten about this film. I'm pretty sure I've watched it when it first came out (as Final Prayer I think) cause I remember seeking it out again for it's other name, not realizing it sas the same movie.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I'll try to watch it again this week. I really like this theme and scenery.
Haha happy to help! Like The Ceremony, it seems like there were so many things beyond the actual film making that ended up giving the movie a really soft landing. Maybe the producers, distributors, marketers, some licensing issues or something. Who knows. So many of the found footage movies that get overwhelmingly marketed and plastered on Amazon Video etc. could stand to learn so much from films like Final Prayer.

EDIT: Spent Easter on two of my favorite black magic movies: The Believers and Serpent and the Rainbow. I can't remember when I first saw The Believers but with Serpent and the Rainbow, I remember that movie being among the first horror movies I watched. It was on TV at some point during my childhood late at night and being so enthralled. Some of the dark dream imagery stuck with me for a while. Would have also been around the first time I ever heard of voodoo magic. The Believers was the first time I've heard of santaria & brujeria too. I love both films for their kind of supernatural mystery set up and how both mains have little experience with fighting physically let alone against the supernatural. Yet the both end up going head long into the fight when the need arises. I think both hold up so well even today thematically and visually.

---
Also not a movie this time but a book. Going through Stephen King's short stories and finally landed on 'The Jaunt' in the Skeleton Crew collection. Heard about this story years ago and how it's among King's best. Managed, since I first heard about it, to stay away from spoilers regarding it and I couldn't be more glad. There is no question that it is in fact among King's best. Preys exactly on my personal fears
of eternity, existence and oblivion, & madness. I don't know if teleportation tech will ever exist within human science but I wouldn't be surprised about many people who've read this story being freaked out just hearing that it exists.

Last edited:

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Also not a movie this time but a book. Going through Stephen King's short stories and finally landed on 'The Jaunt' in the Skeleton Crew collection. Heard about this story years ago and how it's among King's best. Managed, since I first heard about it, to stay away from spoilers regarding it and I couldn't be more glad. There is no question that it is in fact among King's best. Preys exactly on my personal fears
of eternity, existence and oblivion, & madness. I don't know if teleportation tech will ever exist within human science but I wouldn't be surprised about many people who've read this story being freaked out just hearing that it exists.

Ooh, I love this short story! Very creepy and unsettling.

I got to watch a bunch of horror movies this week so far. Here they are (no spoilers):

• Incident in a Ghostland
I love the original Martyrs by Pascal Laugier. I think it's a very effective film. I knew of "Ghostland" for the unfortunate accident on set, but I never realized this was a Pascal Laugier film. I watched and although not as good as Martyrs, it was interesting and had a twist I did not see comingo (but I admit I should have seen). I particularly liked the characters, especially the protagonist who's a horror writer wannabe who loves Lovecraft. There's a scene at the beginning where she mentions her short story looking too similar to Lovecraft and that she hasn't found her voice yet. I totally understood her, as my first three short stories were pretty much copy pasted from his style. Also, I thought the twist involving her character and the way she reacted to everything happening around her was believable and made the film better for it.

8 Porcelain Dolls out of 10. Would watch it again.

• The Borderlands (aka Final Prayer)
This was a great found footage film that I was reminded of by EdibleKnife. I thought I had seen it, but I've actually only seen the first twenty minutes or so back when it released. I found it similar to The Devil's Doorway in atmosphere and structure. There are some effective scares and a sense of unease throughout the movie. I also loved that there are pagan rituals imagery here, I'm a sucker for this. For those who dig found footage movies, like me, be sure to watch these two films. Especially if you think catholic themes are creepy (which I do).

8 European Churches out of 10. Would watch it again.

• The Endless
I watched Resolution when it first released and it blew my mind. I though it was well done provocative and mindblowing indie horror. The Endless was on my watchlist for a while now, cause if there's a theme I'm a sucker for it's religious cult. There's something too scary about them. When I realized The Endless and Resolution were written and directed by the same duo, I just had to watch the former asap. I don't know if the expectation has anything to do with it or it just didn't click with me, but this nowhere near as intelligent or inovative as Resolution. It was okay. What made it worse for me was the use of bad CGI. I think (especially in indie horror) that the less it's shown, the better it is. Had they left more to the imagination, this would be a better film in my eyes.

7 Religious Cults out of 10. Wouldn't watch it again.

• Aterrados (Terrified)
Holy crap that boy was freaking scary. This a really great argentinian horror film. It's available on Netflix and every horro fan should give it a shot. It's scary, creepy, gory and it has one of the scariest horror kids I've ever seen. That kid alone is reason to watch this film, but there's so much more. I watched this one with a blanket up to the chin and my feet above the couch. Definitely recommend it. I also really liked the explanation near the end, never seen "ghosts" done like that before.

9 Scary Kids out of 10. Would definitely watch it again.

• Hereditary
I can't say anything about this film that hasn't been said before. This was actually a rewatch and I think it's every bit as effective as it ever was. Not only this is a near perfect horror movie (with pagan themes, yay), but it's also an amazing family drama about grief and the lost of loved ones. Toni Collette gives one of the best performances I've ever seen in a horror movie. It's absolutely heart breaking watching her in this.

10 Miniature Houses of 10. Would definitely watch it again.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
  • The Endless
I watched Resolution when it first released and it blew my mind. I though it was well done provocative and mindblowing indie horror. The Endless was on my watchlist for a while now, cause if there's a theme I'm a sucker for it's religious cult. There's something too scary about them. When I realized The Endless and Resolution were written and directed by the same duo, I just had to watch the former asap. I don't know if the expectation has anything to do with it or it just didn't click with me, but this nowhere near as intelligent or inovative as Resolution. It was okay. What made it worse for me was the use of bad CGI. I think (especially in indie horror) that the less it's shown, the better it is. Had they left more to the imagination, this would be a better film in my eyes.

7 Religious Cults out of 10. Wouldn't watch it again.

I would be very interested to hear what you would think of Spring. It's the movie those guys made between Resolution and The Endless. Have you seen it?

imageId:12419336.jpg

Last edited:

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I would be very interested to hear what you would think of Spring. It's the movie those guys made between Resolution and The Endless. Have you seen it?

imageId:12419336.jpg

Yes! I've seen it a few years back. I remember liking it very much. Again, I'd like to have seen less in some scenes (mainly because of lack of budget for special FX) but I really enjoyed it. I was intrigued by the mystery of the woman and engrossed in the story of the blond dude. Also those guys really love Lovecraftian themes don't they? I sure ain't complaining, as I love Lovecraft too. It reminded me of Species and Splice. I need to give this one a rewatch, since it's been four or five years.

8 Sexy Monsters out of 10. Would watch it again.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
What Keeps You Alive
Great acting and some really tense scenes. Requires some suspension of disbelief for a few scenes and one INCREDIBLY stupid decision at the 3/4 point but it's a really fun ride and it's great to have the leads be a lesbian couple.

Hunger
Surprised by this one when I found it on Amazon Prime Video. I expected low budget cheese and bad acting. While the acting was stiff in places and the set looked cheap as hell the effects work was decent. Dude holds five people in an underground cave for over a month without food and monitors them. Worth a watch.

Monster Party
I think this was a Shudder Original. Not very good. The basic premise is a group of robbers tries to steal from a house that just happens to be having a party for a group of recovering murder addicts. Poorly structured, effects work not that great, wasted plot points, no good characters, and a constantly shifting tone. It's like it tried for being a really dark comedy but didn't have any actual humor and was mostly just malicious for the gore factor. At one point a girl winks and they literally have a "ding" sound effect play.
Mess.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still annoyed that the only plans that the characters in It Follows could come up with were
Fuck someone to throw it off your trail for a while and line an abandoned swimming pool with toasters

In pretty much every movie where the threat is invisible but not intangible, at least one character will come up with the obvious plan to try and make it visible. Flour, a paint can, paintballs, feathers and glue, literally anything. All it can do is walk, do you think it'll be able to dodge a flour bomb? You don't think the cops would believe you if a partially flourbombed invisible man walked in? Works from a metaphorical standpoint of it not being something people can help you with, but from the standpoint of the movie it's fuckin' stupid.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Incident in a Ghostland
I love the original Martyrs by Pascal Laugier. I think it's a very effective film. I knew of "Ghostland" for the unfortunate accident on set, but I never realized this was a Pascal Laugier film. I watched and although not as good as Martyrs, it was interesting and had a twist I did not see comingo (but I admit I should have seen). I particularly liked the characters, especially the protagonist who's a horror writer wannabe who loves Lovecraft. There's a scene at the beginning where she mentions her short story looking too similar to Lovecraft and that she hasn't found her voice yet. I totally understood her, as my first three short stories were pretty much copy pasted from his style. Also, I thought the twist involving her character and the way she reacted to everything happening around her was believable and made the film better for it.

8 Porcelain Dolls out of 10. Would watch it again.
What the hell, I just checked on imdb, and it seems Mylène Farmer has one of the main roles. Like, wut?
People here probaby don't know, but she's been one of the most popular singers in France since the 80s, for her music videos, crazy live shows and also the fact that she's very secretive and almost never gives interviews or show herself in public.
She's never been an actress afaik, so seeing that she just starred in a horror movie threw me for a loop, lol.

edit: checking further on her imdb page... the only other time she did a movie, it was another horror movie in 1994 called Giorgino: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109900/
Never heard of it and what the hell it's 3 hours long?? Might be worth checking out.
Well, I learned something today. If I tell people that Mylène Farmer has been doing horror movies on the side they won't believe me, that's kinda hilarious. I'll try to watch it soon.
Pascal Laugier directed one of her videos in 2015 so I guess they got along well:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on Climax here? My thoughts from the Movies thread
Climax
★★★

Climax is simultaneously:
- a frustrating experimental slog to sit through, with no characters or cohesive structure to latch onto
- a viscerally uncomfortable, disturbing, disorienting nightmare once the situation beings to unravel, infused with voyeuristic unease and evoking skin-crawling dread.

I don't think Climax is a film I'd ever watch again but I can't deny that the movie achieved its horrifying vision. It's something that I appreciated more than liked, if that makes sense.

===

It's...weird. Climax does what I want most from horror. It's an absolutely suffocating cinematic experience, that just lingers on the mind and made my skin crawl. But it was almost insufferable to watch; Irreversible was unwatchable for me because it was literally nauseating but I almost turned off Climax because that first 40 minutes or so was just doing absolutely nothing for me.

Anyone else have movies like that? Like I don't know if I could say I enjoyed or even liked Climax but I couldn't stop watching, was completely engrossed especially once things started going downhill for the dancers
...I agree it's an absolutely riveting slice of horror, a visceral nightmare turned into celluloid. Any horror movie that makes me tense in my seat and lingers in my thoughts for days after, is something special. I adored the movie on that level once the situation started falling apart. And at the very least, there's a raw relatable tragedy in what a lot of the characters go through, particularly the mother and her child, and the pregnant woman. Noe does a great job at making everyone feel natural and human, which adds to the uneasy voyeristic eye of the camera.

But on a narrative/plot and structural level, I just found it so hard to get into. Like I appreciate the stylistic energy of the film, but the way the film is paced (at least in the first half), its jarring interludes/flashbacks, etc almost turned me off.

Like Annihilation, Under The Skin, The Blackcoat's Daughter, it's a horror movie I'm probably going to have to watch a few times, read some insight and different perspectives on the plot, themes, and filmmaking, to come around on it

Also add new Suspiria to the list. I really have to rewatch that, see if I like it more

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not going for help? Stopping to 'end it'?
Holding a throat to the neck of the woman who is trying to kill her, not ending it or at least crippling or heavily injuring her so she can just come back with a vengeance, driving away and leaving her there, then FINALLY deciding against it and turning around to initiate a final act that, while fun, wasn't necessary.

Last edited:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Finally was able to see Happy Death Day 2 U.
Not quite up to the level of the first one but still immensely enjoyable. The shift to a more comedic and sci-fi tone worked well. Some really nice poignant moments included too. They MUST have filmed some scenes of this concurrently with the first, though, right? Almost every minor extra was back and had new stuff to say and do.
I really hope a third one gets made despite 2 not performing as well as Blumhouse hoped so that they can
Delve more into the Ryan storyline. He had a time clone coming after him to stop alternate dimensions being created and nothing much seemed to come of it. A third movie would have more of this DARPA stuff. I don't care about explanations so much as I do the interesting situations that would arise from the plot threads.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
US (2019)

Overall an ok attack of the clones movie. A bit unremarkable.
It was very hard to appreciate the seriousness of the finale with all those cute bunnys running round though.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Kinda trying to get back to a blog I started to just put down my musings of horror films since it's what I do the most of. I got sidetracked during Halloween when I did my monthly marathon and watched 79 flicks, so I kinda was overwhelmed with writing and just stopped. But now trying to slowly get back to covering my thoughts and randomness of horror watching.

So back at it now with The Car (1977): https://shlockandterror.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-car-1977.html

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else watching Slasher season 3?
I'm halfway through, it's pretty good. Some of the deaths are too much even for me though. They're creative, I'll give them that!

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Watched The Circle (2017) on netflix.

Shit movie, but the concept of the movie is a nightmare scenario for me.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I was fooled into watching this as a horror film due to some bad tagging. I used to see this movie placed in the horror sections of video rental stores too.

Funland (1987): https://shlockandterror.blogspot.com/2019/05/funland-1987.html

FUNLAND.jpg
Heh, thanks for this. I remember seeing this on the shelves of ole Jumbo Video back in the day. Never got around to renting it because I was irrationally afraid of clowns. Sounds like that was for the best. Poster kicks ass though. Almost makes me want to write a completely different movie with that image as the foundation.