• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Always wanted to see this but never could find a copy to watch for free till recently as it's now on amazon prime. I wasn't missing much!

The Nest (1988): https://shlockandterror.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-nest-1988.html
NEST1.jpg

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone going to Overlook this weekend? I'm flying out tomorrow morning, screening Saturday afternoon.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. So Sunday. I'll be looking for some reviews on it.

Anyone see I'm Just Fucking with You? It's on Hulu and part of the Blumhouse movie series. Pretty damn good!!!

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Rewatched Little Otik the other night and it weirded me out more than the first time. Granted that was a long time ago (maybe 10 or so years?), but the stop motion this time... and when Otik eats the hair... Ugh. Fun movie.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
This sounds so extremely shitty I think I have to watch this. My only experience with Critters is the first movie which I had to turn off because it literally bored me to death after 30 minutes of nothing happening.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Hey!
First screening was kind of a mess. It played in a stage play theater they converted to a movie theater for the festival. It was quiet, the sound muddy, and the picture too small for the size of the theater.

The festival did no push for it, and it ended up being about half full. Super disappointing.

The second screening was much better. In a small cineplex theater with solid sound and good picture. Got great response there. Ended on a high note but I was incredibly disappointed with how the festival treated the film.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Cross-post from the June movie thread:

The Perfection: Watched this on Netflix without having any idea of what it was. I really liked it. It was a very great horror(?) movie. I highly recommend it.

I think the best way to experience this movie is to go in completely blind, so I won't say much. Only that I really liked how it plays with the audience by changing our perception of some characters over time.

Trigger warning: sexual violence and some light body horror.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hey!
First screening was kind of a mess. It played in a stage play theater they converted to a movie theater for the festival. It was quiet, the sound muddy, and the picture too small for the size of the theater.

The festival did no push for it, and it ended up being about half full. Super disappointing.

The second screening was much better. In a small cineplex theater with solid sound and good picture. Got great response there. Ended on a high note but I was incredibly disappointed with how the festival treated the film.

Yeah, I saw this tweet and figured you played two times

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They knew I wasn't happy with them. They posted endlessly about a podcast recording going on at the same time, completely ignored my film.

I'm 99% sure that's why they did that tweet.

Man, that's crappy while your movie is playing at a movie festival. At least you got a second showing.

Is it coming to VOD anytime soon?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Laughing at the fact that Child's Play and Annabelle Comes Home come out within a week of Toy Story 4

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds so extremely shitty I think I have to watch this. My only experience with Critters is the first movie which I had to turn off because it literally bored me to death after 30 minutes of nothing happening.

Yeah, the first thing that popped into my mind is that "shit" isn't really a new thing when it comes to the Critters franchise. Wouldn't that just mean the new one is par for the course.

Laughing at the fact that Child's Play and Annabelle Comes Home come out within a week of Toy Story 4

We've got Child's Play, Annabelle Comes Home, and The Boy 2 all coming out within ~ a month. Busy summer for killer doll flicks I tell ya.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, the first thing that popped into my mind is that "shit" isn't really a new thing when it comes to the Critters franchise. Wouldn't that just mean the new one is par for the course.

I think even the 4th film had a sense of cheese but still just a goofy b-movie. The new Critters is like an asylum pictures SyFy level of bad production of Critters.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I've always been a fan of the Warlock movies and I rewatched the three movies and god damn is the third one a massive turd. Like jesus... There are only 2 things good about that one: Bruce Payne (who actually is a great casting choice and a great replacement for Julian Sands) and Ashley Laurence, the rest is pure trash.

The first 2 films aren't exactly the best movies either, but they're fun. I like that the 2nd one got gorier because the first movie is pretty tame and for that fact I like it a bit better than the original. It's just like with Wishmaster: Watch 1 and 2 and forget about the rest.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been a fan of the Warlock movies and I rewatched the three movies and god damn is the third one a massive turd. Like jesus... There are only 2 things good about that one: Bruce Payne (who actually is a great casting choice and a great replacement for Julian Sands) and Ashley Laurence, the rest is pure trash.

The first 2 films aren't exactly the best movies either, but they're fun. I like that the 2nd one got gorier because the first movie is pretty tame and for that fact I like it a bit better than the original. It's just like with Wishmaster: Watch 1 and 2 and forget about the rest.

I dug the original Warlock back in the day, even had the SNES game. Don't think I ever got around to watching the 2nd or 3rd. Were they direct-to-video?

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I dug the original Warlock back in the day, even had the SNES game. Don't think I ever got around to watching the 2nd or 3rd. Were they direct-to-video?
The 2nd one was released in theaters, but the third one was straight to video. And tbh the third movie feels like it wasn't even written as a Warlock movie. Almost like they decided to replace the main evil guy with the Warlock a month before shooting.

I would recommend the 2nd one though. It's silly at parts, but so is the original. Some of the kills are quite creative and I'm always down for that lol

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
The 2nd one was released in theaters, but the third one was straight to video. And tbh the third movie feels like it wasn't even written as a Warlock movie. Almost like they decided to replace the main evil guy with the Warlock a month before shooting.

I would recommend the 2nd one though. It's silly at parts, but so is the original. Some of the kills are quite creative and I'm always down for that lol

Cool, thanks, will check it out. Will probably have to refresh on part 1 first as I don't think I've seen it since the theater.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Congrats on the good review. I'm looking forward to see your film.

On a side note, I find this part odd...
With James Wan being recruited to big superhero Blockbusters, horror fans have been left to quench their thirst for terrifying original content through Conjuring spin-offs and Stephen King adaptations. It's hard to come by original horrors crafted with the sole intent to scare, but we called and Z came.
...as there hasn't been a shortage of good and original horror films during the past years. It seems like the writer might be too focused on American films, or big budget titles in general, if she really thinks there is.

From the top of my head, here's a list of worthy titles I've seen lately...

Black Circle (Sweden/Mexico)
Greta (Ireland/USA)
Ghost Stories (UK)
Hereditary (USA)
Bird Box (USA)
Hagazussa: A Heathen's Curse (Germany)
Incident in a Ghostland (France)
Ravenous (AKA Les affamés, France)
I Remember You (AKA Ég man þig, Iceland)
The Eyes of My Mother (USA)
The VVitch: A New-England Folktale (UK)
We Go On (USA)
What We Become (AKA Sorgenfri, Denmark)

Personally, I don't find the jump scare tactics in Wan's films and the likes of Conjuring scary at all. A more sophisticated and less in-your-face approach is much more effective, especially if it manages to create a subtle, but lasting feel of unease. Not to mention, that it's pretty amusing to mention "original content" in connection with Conjuring spin-offs.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I just listened to a very interesting episode of the podcast Unspooled. To give a little context, Unspooled is a podcast by Amy Nicholson and Paul Sheer with the goal of watching and discussing every movie on the AFI's top 100 movies of all time.

They did a special episode recorded live at the Overlook Film Festival discussing the horror genre in movies. What can be classified as horror? What is the place of the horror genre on a list like the AFI's top 100? There are a lot of really great discussions in it and I highly recommend it:

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I just listened to a very interesting episode of the podcast Unspooled. To give a little context, Unspooled is a podcast by Amy Nicholson and Paul Sheer with the goal of watching and discussing every movie on the AFI's top 100 movies of all time.

They did a special episode recorded live at the Overlook Film Festival discussing the horror genre in movies. What can be classified as horror? What is the place of the horror genre on a list like the AFI's top 100? There are a lot of really great discussions in it and I highly recommend it:

Yes I know.

They played at the exact same time as my premiere, and the festival made sure everyone knew it.

Amy did come to my second screening and we had a nice chat after. She was super sweet.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Oh no! Is that why your first screening didn't go well?
I have to think that didn't help.

On their IG, their stories were 'UNSPOOLED GET HERE!' and then endless live coverage. Nothing about Z. It was disappointing.

One of the guys that runs the fest saw me that night and knew I was not happy. Which is why, I assume, they did the "One of the most buzzed about" tweet the follow day.

The venue also contributed, with really bad audio making it hard to hear dialogue.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
So I just watched Escape Room and holy shit was that one bad. I didn't care about any of the characters because nobody was likeable and then they randomly pull about 3 twists out their ass at the end because yeah you've got to have a sequel.

Jesus this movie screams calculated production as soon as the heaters turn on in the first room. I can't wait for the sequel because I'm curious to see if they can make a movie worse than this one.

May 17, 2019
I'm looking for something fucked, seriosuly fucked. Hogg, Euphoria vn, Grotesque film, level fucked up. However, I need the transgression to mean something, not just be there "cause fuck it."

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw the original Hitcher and it was fantastic. An action-horror chase thriller that I might put on the same level (if not, then really close) as The Terminator

I still have vague memories of the remake, so I was totally unprepared for the original Hitcher to be one of the best action-horror movies I've ever watched. It's on par with The Terminator, which is fitting since this film is like Duel infused with the slasher movie dread of Cameron's classic. The Hitcher is approximately 90 minutes of unrelenting suspense, dread, and thrills, propelled by an unforgettable villain.

The movie transforms a simple premise into a harrowing nightmare unfolding across the Texan desert. It's a film that wastes no time; within minutes, Rutger Hauer's villain is already tormenting young Jim Halsey. Hauer as John Ryder is absolutely terrifying in this, an antagonist that radiates wild-eyed intensity and venomous conviction. He seems less like a man and more like a devil, something unknowable, pure malice. If Ryder was merely a man, his pursuit would just be the single-minded actions of a stock slasher, but there's an otherworldly, almost mythic quality to him. He appears like a wraith, leaves death in his wake, and acts as a macabre benefactor to his victim.

As the protagonist, C. Thomas Howell perfectly sells Halsey's confusion, fear, and gradual loss of innocence. His mystified terror is palpable, and serves to make the evil hitchhiker that much more inscrutable. Halsey's relationship with Nash is handled with similar efficiency. In only a few scenes, Jennifer Jason Leigh succinctly establishes her character as charming, brave, and empathetic. just enough time for their dynamic to have an impact when the movie plays its most infamous hand.

Besides the characters, the pacing is the other masterful facet of The Hitcher. Uncomfortable dread and intense chases occur in equal measure, and the movie never settles for cheap scares. Its horror is subtle, letting the unease linger until the audience realizes what they're witnessing. But The Hitcher is also a fantastic chase thriller, escalating from highway stalking reminiscent of Duel to multi-car pursuits with huge crashes and flying lead. Much like Terminator, the action and the horror are expertly balanced.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn afterwards that the cinematographer of Mad Max Fury Road worked on this. Whether we're watching vehicular mayhem or a tense confrontation, the film is always gorgeously shot. The use of color and light and shadow, the framing and composition of the open road and Midwest locales, elevate the pulpy b-movie concept into bleak, even haunting cinema.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
So I just watched Escape Room and holy shit was that one bad. I didn't care about any of the characters because nobody was likeable and then they randomly pull about 3 twists out their ass at the end because yeah you've got to have a sequel.

Jesus this movie screams calculated production as soon as the heaters turn on in the first room. I can't wait for the sequel because I'm curious to see if they can make a movie worse than this one.
I agree with everything you said, though I've got to admit I didn't hate it that much. For the most part it was just typical teen-targeted multiplex horror. I thought the puzzle rooms were somewhat clever and most of them had me interested enough to be engaged. 100% agreed on the ending though. That shit was "Green Inferno" levels of tacked on at the last minute sequel pandering.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Watched Don't Breathe and Eden Lake last week with some friends, both really fun "realistic" films. I really like Jane Levy

Also rewatched The Thing last night, hadn't seen it since I was a kid. Still amazing