• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Anybody in here from Canada and subscribe to Shudder?

I know they have different content on different regions and I'm trying it out and looking for recommendations.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

I know they have different content on different regions and I'm trying it out and looking for recommendations.

Sure! There are a lot of nice things on Shudder (Canada). I'll list a few movies I liked that I watched there. They are of many different styles of horror, so YMMV depending on what you like.

They have a lot of classics. Here are a few I liked in no particular order:
Jacob's Ladder (One of my personal favorite)​
Phantom Paradise​
Re-Animator (Another one I like very much)​
Q - The Winged Serpent​
Heathers (Funny horror/comedy featuring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater)​
The Changeling (Classic ghost story)​
Black Christmas (Very good slasher)​
Castle Freak​
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer​
Demons (Very silly but absolutely bloody and gruesome. Very entertaining)​

For more recent movies:
Mandy (Psychedelic and weird movie featuring Nick Cage)​
Revenge (Very good revenge horror movie)​
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (The first Iranian vampire movie. Very good and stylish)​
Summer of 84​
Victoria​
Starry Eyes​
Hell House LLC (surprisingly good found footage movie. But stay far away from its sequel)​

Some Asian horror movies I thought were very good:
The Wailing​
Old Boy​
Lady Vengeance​

Shudder are also trying to flesh out their documentary content:
Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (This one is outstanding, very well done)​
Eli Roth's History of Horror (Interesting interviews and discussions about different horror genres)​
Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser (A very long, 2 parts documentary about the story behind the Hellraiser franchise)​
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (A very long documentary about the Freddy movies)​

And they have a few series I found worthwhile:
A Discovery of Witches​
Channel Zero​
The Core​

This is very far from being a complete list at all. There's a lot of stuff. Explore and have fun!

Also,
VPNs are working for Shudder. So I recommend also exploring the US and UK catalogues.
The US one is like what's available in Canada but with A LOT more stuff, while the UK has access to some content exclusive to their region.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I watched The House That Jack Built yesterday. And at first this movie was pretty tame, more psychlogical horror in a sense and while watching the 2nd story I was wondering if the whole movie was like this but then shit escalated quickly when Jack was towing the dead woman with his car. The third story was gruesome and mean and as soon as he used the marker on Jacqueline's breasts in the 4th story I knew where this was going. The only other Lars von Trier movie I had seen before this one was Antichrist. And then at the end you're asking yourself why am I still watching this thing? The last 15 minutes were unnecessary and I was just waiting for it to end.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017

I actually subscribed recently as well. This last weekend I watched:

The Witch in the Window: Not great, acting is a little on the amateurish side and the budget is pretty low, but there's a ~20 minute sequence in the middle of the film that was so well done it pretty much validated the rest of the movie to me.

Mayhem: Not really my type of thing, but if you're into the whole wink wink horror comedy genre it's a pretty fun ride.

Sadako vs Kayako: Been wanting to see this for a while. It was as ludicrous as the title implies, but there were some decent moments for fans of the Ju On/Ringu franchises.

I really like the "Shudder TV" section, where they have like 4 channels and just constantly stream random movies. I can see that guiding a lot of my viewing choices (that's why I ended up watching Mayhem). The next couple of films on my watchlist are All the Colors of the Dark, Terrified, and Hagazussa. Can't vouch for the quality of them as I haven't watched them yet, but have heard really good things about all of them. It really seems to be a pretty decent streaming service for the price.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Put Terrified right at the top of your list. The story is lame and basically only exists to allow for the horror setpieces but the setpieces are fantastic and unforgettable. I've seen it twice and I think I liked it better the second time.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I watched The House That Jack Built yesterday. And at first this movie was pretty tame, more psychlogical horror in a sense and while watching the 2nd story I was wondering if the whole movie was like this but then shit escalated quickly when Jack was towing the dead woman with his car. The third story was gruesome and mean and as soon as he used the marker on Jacqueline's breasts in the 4th story I knew where this was going. The only other Lars von Trier movie I had seen before this one was Antichrist. And then at the end you're asking yourself why am I still watching this thing? The last 15 minutes were unnecessary and I was just waiting for it to end.
To me the last 15 minutes were what made the rest of the movie make sense.

Just wondering, what were you hoping for? Having a hard time getting a read on what you disliked based on your post and I'm curious. Especially since you'd seen Antichrist before. The movie is a commentary on Trier and his movies, so I wonder how it read to somebody not aware of that.

Also, did you find any of it funny?

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Just wondering, what were you hoping for? Having a hard time getting a read on what you disliked based on your post and I'm curious.
Nothing really. I don't have expectations when watching a movie in the sense that I want the story to go a certain way or that there will be a theme or whatever. That's not how I watch movies. And I didn't even dislike the movie, reading my post again I can see how it looks that way but I actually enjoyed it for the most part, except the last 15 minutes which I felt weren't needed because I didn't need an explanation for what I've seen.
The movie is a commentary on Trier and his movies, so I wonder how it read to somebody not aware of that.
I didn't know that but I can see it now because I was wondering why a brief scene of Antichrist was in this film too. I guess some from his other films were aswell.
Also, did you find any of it funny?
Not at all. Except maybe the parts where Jack starts building the house and immediately tears it down again.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's your favorite episode of the Night Gallery?
That one where the guy kills a dude and inherits his stuff, and theres s painting of the house on the wall, and there's a corpse coming out of the graveyard in the painting that gets closer to the front door every time the guy looks at it

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Put Terrified right at the top of your list. The story is lame and basically only exists to allow for the horror setpieces but the setpieces are fantastic and unforgettable. I've seen it twice and I think I liked it better the second time.
That pretty much describes most of my favorite movies, so will bump that one up right away. Thanks!

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I know what I'm doing in September.

64440866_617510985411493_2423054857154854912_n.jpg

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I actually prefer the The Ring over Ringu. But it's been so long since I've seen either.

I just remember the ring two being garbage. Rings was also trash.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Watched IT Chapter One and its ok. Not great.
It started really good and the kid actors are all solid but by the end it turned into a rushed mess where everything happened too fast and nothing was given enough time to have meaning.

And it also felt like some bits were cut out. Characters refering to things that weren't actually shown.
Very messy.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
This evening I saw John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness for the first time. It was very good!

It really unfolded like a Lovecraftian story I thought. It actually made me very curious so I went online to read some articles about it. Apparently, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In the Mouth of Madness are considered a trilogy by Carpenter about the destruction of different concepts like individuality, spirituality, and reality. Each of these three movies are very much Lovecraftian in their treatment I think.

Last edited:

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Midsommar was an experience.

I absolutely adored it. The audience I was with hated it, the feeling of awkwardness and anger in the audience was palpable. After it was over an older woman had to announce to everyone how stupid she thought it was.

It's not really a film I can recommend to anyone but a few select people.

It's long, it's self indulgent, it often meanders and it isnt afraid to alienate people. But man it is beautiful. Its also uncomfortablly funny at times. Ari has such a great eye. And the opening act was harrowing. The Last act is either hate it or love it even for those that were on board the rest of the movie.

Between this and hereditary I feel like hugging Ari and asking him if everything is okay.

It will be a 4K purchase for me on Day 1. His films are always going to be something I seek out.

9/10

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
This evening I saw John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness for the first time. It was very good!

It really unfolded like a Lovecraftian story I thought. It actually made me very curious so I went online to read some articles about it. Apparently, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In the Mouth of Madness are considered a trilogy by Carpenter about the destruction of different concepts like individuality, spirituality, and reality. Each of these three movies are very much Lovecraftian in their treatment I think.
It's a real shame the thing wasnt recognized for its brilliance when it released.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I FINALLY saw The Devils (1971). Really phenomenally well-made and still shocking to this day. Can't imagine how freaked out people were when it was originally out.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Trying so hard to not watch all these promising horror movies (midsommar, crawl, childs play, etc) until 31 nights of horror lol

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So it's a movie length version of that part from The Purge Anarchy. Sure, sounds interesting

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Well, looks like the local drive-in's selection of movies for their marathon this year will be The Exorcist, Night of the Creeps, Zombie and a fourth unannounced film. Can't wait! :D

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Looks like a joke...

I think this description made me a bit nauseous.

"Annoying, pain in the ass Callie (Meredith Mohler) is an obnoxious social justice warrior who spends her life reporting the supposedly offensive actions of her fellow students in spectacularly over-the-top fashion. Things are going swimmingly for her quest to find the ultimate level of butt hurt when a legendary serial killer returns and picks up the murder biz he started years previous."

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I think this description made me a bit nauseous.

"Annoying, pain in the ass Callie (Meredith Mohler) is an obnoxious social justice warrior who spends her life reporting the supposedly offensive actions of her fellow students in spectacularly over-the-top fashion. Things are going swimmingly for her quest to find the ultimate level of butt hurt when a legendary serial killer returns and picks up the murder biz he started years previous."

Ugh! Who made that?? Pretty sure it's not this Chris Moore:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Creepshow was announced as the new maze for HHN

Based on both the old movies and new series

They're doing 'Father's Day', 'The Crate', and 'They're Creeping Up On You' from the old show, and 'Grey Matter' and 'Bad Wolf Down' from the new show

Weeeeeeee
sD7Vtcu.gif

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Creepshow was announced as the new maze for HHN

Based on both the old movies and new series

They're doing 'Father's Day', 'The Crate', and 'They're Creeping Up On You' from the old show, and 'Grey Matter' and 'Bad Wolf Down' from the new show

Weeeeeeee
sD7Vtcu.gif
Hollywood only oh well

False alarm for me.