• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I watched Baskin. Can somebody explain this film to me? I thought it was alright and it reminded me of silent hill but I couldnt make much sense of the plot or what the movie was trying to say.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Good god...

pmvs9Sy.png

Looks like a joke...

I think this description made me a bit nauseous.

"Annoying, pain in the ass Callie (Meredith Mohler) is an obnoxious social justice warrior who spends her life reporting the supposedly offensive actions of her fellow students in spectacularly over-the-top fashion. Things are going swimmingly for her quest to find the ultimate level of butt hurt when a legendary serial killer returns and picks up the murder biz he started years previous."

Ugh! Who made that?? Pretty sure it's not this Chris Moore:

No, it's this one. I'm serious.

Really weird his Instagram is not reactionary, the lead is not reactionary

No one seems to be a reactionary so wtf is that movie lol.

Like he posted this:

I might volunteer to watch this for y'all because I'm utterly confused

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Any recommendations for horror fiction? Big fan of 'historical' horror tales like Dan Simmons' The Terror or John Langan's The Fisherman.

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
been catching up with some movies on my various streaming lists over the weekend i watched hell house LLC which i reallly enjoyed after the initial slow start and i also watched Await Further Instructions which was actually a pretty good watch despite it being a bit short

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
been catching up with some movies on my various streaming lists over the weekend i watched hell house LLC which i reallly enjoyed after the initial slow start and i also watched Await Further Instructions which was actually a pretty good watch despite it being a bit short
I also thought Hell House LLC was surprisingly decent. Saw it recommended on a FB horror group. Never heard of it before then. A pleasant surprise considering good horror movies I haven't heard of are very rare.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I also thought Hell House LLC was surprisingly decent. Saw it recommended on a FB horror group. Never heard of it before then. A pleasant surprise considering good horror movies I haven't heard of are very rare.

Hell House LLC is a very good found footage horror movie! But stay clear of the sequel though...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Midsummer Scream gave me a full month of Shudder free so I'd be down with some recommendations too

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
What did everyone hate so much about the sequel? The ending was a little goofy, but finale aside I thought it was basically just more of the same.

The first movie was very well executed. It was very creepy, well acted, and a lot of fun.

I think the sequel is actually the exact opposite of that. They tried to expand on the story from the first movie, but what they came up with felt forced, wasn't interesting, and was very poorly executed. It was acted horribly, and everything kind of lost the charm of the original. This movie doesn't have any heart. It was just... boring.

Last edited:

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
The first movie was very well executed. It was very creepy, well acted, and a lot of fun.

I think the sequel is actually the exact opposite of that. They tried to expend on the story from the first movie, but what they came up with felt forced, wasn't interesting, and was very poorly executed. It was acted horribly, and everything kind of lost the charm of the original. This movie doesn't have any heart. It was just... boring.

Fair enough. I wasn't a huge fan of either, so didn't really see the huge discrepancy between the quality of the two. I mean, the second lacked some subtlety compared to the first, but how much subtlety do you really expect from a found footage horror movie set in a town called Abaddon? I thought both of them had their moments.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Us was announced as a house at Halloween Horror Nights this year at both Orlando and Hollywood

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canceled, really? What happened? And look at that, even the trailer disappeared...
Turned out the movie was about a bunch of rich liberals hunting working-class conservatives for sport. Liberals didn't like it for obvious reasons and conservatives didn't seem to get that the movie was trying to shit on liberals so with a 0% approval rating they pulled it.

Also probably not the best time considering all the mass shootings

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Lol, I know 31 Days of Horror is still a bit ways off, but it somehow had crossed my mind tonight, and I ended up working on my list a little. XD

Reason why, cause I remembered that last time I was interested in maybe exploring more anthology horror flick, so I think this year I am probably going to least do a mini theme among my list of exploring multiple anthology films. Should be fun.

Think I be checking out Shudder as a main source then, cause three anthology films I am interested seem to be there (Black Sabbath, Creepshow 2, and Southbound), and I can go from there. Might look at Tubi also for a couple other anthology films.

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
This trailer didn't quite hit. Just showing Master Chief isn't enough anymore.
Lol, I know 31 Days of Horror is still a bit ways off, but it somehow had crossed my mind tonight, and I ended up working on my list a little. XD

Reason why, cause I remembered that last time I was interested in maybe exploring more anthology horror flick, so I think this year I am probably going to least do a mini theme among my list of exploring multiple anthology films. Should be fun.

Think I be checking out Shudder as a main source then, cause three anthology films I am interested seem to be there (Black Sabbath, Creepshow 2, and Southbound), and I can go from there. Might look at Tubi also for a couple other anthology films.

I've started work on my list too nightbreed is a lock in this year as I've got the arrow blu pre ordered

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Watched The Mummy's Hand for the first time. It feels less like a horror movie and more like a horror-tinged adventure flick. (Is this what they used as the basis for the Brendan Fraiser Mummy films?) It's enjoyable but can't compare to the original flick or Hammer's first Mummy film.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I watched The Blob (1988) for the first time yesterday. I knew nothing about it and I almost spat out my drink when I read "Shawnee Smith" during the opening titles. I'm a fan of the Saw movies and she is so cute in this movie. Also great special effects in this one! I'm kinda sad the sequel tease at the end lead to nothing.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watched The Blob (1988) for the first time yesterday. I knew nothing about it and I almost spat out my drink when I read "Shawnee Smith" during the opening titles. I'm a fan of the Saw movies and she is so cute in this movie. Also great special effects in this one! I'm kinda sad the sequel tease at the end lead to nothing.
I rank it alongside The Thing (1982) and The Fly remakes for "better than the original". I remember a long time ago there used to be a dark ride at this small local theme park and on the front there was painted a sheriff who lost his gun and the skin on his arm to some kind of blue blob and that always used to freak me out a bit. this movie basically brought that to life.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

I was coming in here to say I think I picked a theme and was working no putting together a list

Glad to see not the only one pre-planning

I'm thinking of doing Survival Horror movies so stuff like A Quiet Place, Bird Box, some of the "Of Dead" movies, 28 Days Later, the animated Resident Evil movies

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I've been pre planning 31 days of horror for the last couple weeks.
Intentionally not seeing most of these new and promising films in theaters just to save them for that month.

I'm not sure I'll go with a theme. I've always thought about it but the priority is seeing movies I've never seen before and going with a theme really restricts that goal for me

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
Intentionally not seeing most of these new and promising films in theaters just to save them for that month.

I'm not sure I'll go with a theme. I've always thought about it but the priority is seeing movies I've never seen before and going with a theme really restricts that goal for me

been picking up cheap blus from poundland in the UK stuff ive not heard off stuff like that aiming for a 50/50 list this year of new and rewatches

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Grumbles

I hate when other people pitch good ideas because makes me question choices

So now I also have Dollhouse on the table (focus on movies with evil dolls/toys) and... just trying to make it through the month only watching horror movies on free streaming services

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I recently caught The Mad on Amazon Prime and WOW what a fun mad cow disease based zombie movie. It has an awful script and basic plot and is played totally for camp and you can tell the actors are in it, including Billy Zane as a dorky doctor dad. You need to be able to love stupid camp to get into but if you can it's a lot of fun

The Stuff is an unappreciated film.
So much fun! I loved it when I saw it for the first time a few months ago.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.

That is why I am doing this as a mini-theme, only focusing on it for a good chunk of the list, but leaving room for other things to check out. I be sticking to 15 or so films again, maybe aim a bit higher, so I am thinking of 7 anthology films for now.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The whole Nightmare on Elm Street series dropped on Shudder (US) for those interested.

Also, there's a newly added documentary on Shudder (all regions) that's very good. Why Horror? talks about why some people really love to get scared, and why the horror genre is so popular. It's very well done.

Edit: in Why Horror?, there's a part where they talk about the VHS medium and how it played a major role in making the horror genre truly accessible to a maximum of people. It immediately threw me back to when I was a young kid, looking anxiously at the VHS covers in the huge horror section at my local video rental store. To me it was kind of scary and exciting at the same time. I can still remember the anxious feeling I had looking at some of them. I've probably seen a lot of these movies now! lol

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
The whole Nightmare on Elm Street series dropped on Shudder (US) for those interested.

Yeah saw that, and maybe I will make that another mini-theme for my October list. It has caught my eye here and there for a while, and it be time to finally to see this series at long last, although it might end up causing a rough night or two given the premise. XD

Will look into the Why Horror? Documentary also. Reminds me that some of my family members and friends are kind of baffled at me wanting to go see horror flicks lol.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still debating on if I want to do a theme month this year for 31 Days of Horror.

At first I was going to do all Frankenstein's Monster and Vampire movies because I noticed a I had a ton of them on my master list. They really made a lot of those in the 70s!
But then I decided I wanted to attempt a whole month of gialli and I probably have enough to do it, but that would mean dipping into the giallo films that are more mystery/thriller and not necessarily horror (films such as The Girl Who Knew Too Much, Five Dolls for an August Moon, etc). My general rule of thumb has been if IMDb doesn't list horror among the genre then I won't watch that particular giallo for 31 Days of Horror. This would also include the few neo-giallo, and non-Italian giallo films I have to watch.

Right now I'm leaning towards just doing a general Italian month, but that'll have to exclude the neo and non-Italian gialli, but at least I won't have to watch the non-horror gialli.
It's either that or just ditch the theme and go nuts and watch the all of most interesting looking films on my list because I don't think I'll be doing the full 31 films for much longer. I'm hoping to reach 10 years of doing it, and this will be year 9 for me.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going for a WW2/Nazi theme for October this year. I've got a month's worth of movies, and I've only seen three of them before. I suspect that's because the list is heavily weighted toward very low budget Nazi zombie crap, but we'll see.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I just notice that the upcoming season of American Horror Story has like a 80s slasher theme going for it. Damn, might be interested in another AHS season then ha ha.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I got into in Roanoke cause of the mystery theme they had for the promos, and it was decent. Hope this season turns out well, but the series definitely seems to be uneven at least.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't like AHS Hotel. It's probably because I didn't care any of the characters especially the detective and his wife.