• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know that happened.

I'm planning on seeing Ready or Not tomorrow. That should be fun.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Caught P2 on Hulu last night. Super fun cat and mouse thriller set in an empty parking garage. Some brutal practical effects really elevated it and it's set on Christmas Eve so it's perfect for a seasonal horror watch!

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any opinions on what Rutger Hauer horror movie to watch?

I'm looking for something to watch as tribute to him during my 31 Days of Horror marathon this year. I've already seen The Hitcher and Hobo with a Shotgun (if that counts as horror).

I've got Split Second and Argento's Dracula 3D to choose from currently. I'm a bit concerned Split Second might be too action, not enough horror, and Dracula 3D is well... Dracula 3D. If there's anything better I'm missing, I'd love a recommendation.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018

I'm looking for something to watch as tribute to him during my 31 Days of Horror marathon this year. I've already seen The Hitcher and Hobo with a Shotgun (if that counts as horror).

I've got Split Second and Argento's Dracula 3D to choose from currently. I'm a bit concerned Split Second might be too action, not enough horror, and Dracula 3D is well... Dracula 3D. If there's anything better I'm missing, I'd love a recommendation.

The Rite was a decent horror flick. Worth a watch. He was also in Buffy the Vampire Slayer though that's not really horror but has a horror theme

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unfriended featured a group of the most unlikable characters in a horror film and it ended with a bad jump scare.
A bold claim in a world where Hostel, Cabin Fever, and The Gallows exist, haha.

But yeah, that cast is up there. Even the ghost girl comes off as an asshole and she's supposed to be the victim. You can have a horror movie where both the vengeful spirit and the characters are horrible people (that's basically every SAW movie), but not if you're gonna go all 13 Reasons Why with it. She doesn't seem to be doing this for the sake of teaching her shitty friends a lesson, mostly just for herself.

You aren't rooting for anyone to live because they're all assholes, and you're not rooting for the villain to win because she was an asshole

Last edited:

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
A bold claim in a world where Hostel, Cabin Fever, and The Gallows exist, haha.

But yeah, that cast is up there. Even the ghost girl comes off as an asshole and she's supposed to be the victim. You can have a horror movie where both the vengeful spirit and the characters are horrible people (that's basically every SAW movie), but not if you're gonna go all 13 Reasons Why with it. She doesn't seem to be doing this for the sake of teaching her shitty friends a lesson, mostly just for herself.

You aren't rooting for anyone to live because they're all assholes, and you're not rooting for the villain to win because she was an asshole

Is Clown the only Eli Roth film that features sympathetic protagonists?

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Is Clown the only Eli Roth film that features sympathetic protagonists?

Lauren German's character Beth in Hostel: Part 2 was ok. In fact she was pretty awesome by the end as I recall, though it's been a few years since I've watched it. And Jack Black and Kate Blanchet's characters in The House With A Clock In Its Walls were both pretty great, though that's not really a horror movie.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Lauren German's character Beth in Hostel: Part 2 was ok. In fact she was pretty awesome by the end as I recall, though it's been a few years since I've watched it. And Jack Black and Kate Blanchet's characters in The House With A Clock In Its Walls were both pretty great, though that's not really a horror movie.

Hostel 2 thought it was so clever with the subplot about the two guys joining the hunting club. The dude who was so eager to torture people has a change of heart and attempted to leave the place while his friend who was hestiant about the hunting club becomes a depraved psychopath.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Wrong Turn II was entertaining. After that the series went downhill, the inbred cannibals became nearly invulnerable and fixated with torture.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I really enjoyed seeing Scream again, so when I brought it back to the library, I ended up checking out Scream 2, so I be looking forward to seeing that later tonight.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017

If you're allowing TV, he was great in Channel Zero: Butcher's Block. It's only 6 episodes or so, you could probably binge the whole thing in a night. If not, The Hitcher maybe? EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you've already seen The Hitcher... but watching it again would probably be a more rewarding endeavor than Dracula 3D!

Last edited:

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
If you're allowing TV, he was great in Channel Zero: Butcher's Block. It's only 6 episodes or so, you could probably binge the whole thing in a night. If not, The Hitcher maybe? EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you've already seen The Hitcher... but watching it again would probably be a more rewarding endeavor than Dracula 3D!

I've done TV seasons in the past for the marathon, but I always include them as bonus viewing. I'll take a look and see if Channel Zero is streaming on anything I have access to.
Yup, I've seen The Hitcher, but I might watch it again as a bonus movie because I haven't seen it in ages and Hauer is amazing in it.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Now have seen Scream 2, which is actually a pretty solid follow up. It might not have quite the highs and impact of the first, but it was quite enjoyable nonetheless.

I was pretty down that Randy got the chopping block through. :( Meanwhile freaking Dewey look like he was really a goner, but he survived yet again ha ha. As for the killers, Mickey was like a more dull Stu, but Billy's mom being the main killer was bit of a cool twist. It kind of cracked me up that Sidney recognized her, like damn, would have been funny if she came by her earlier. XD

I was fine with how it ended, but the 4 killers ending would have been pretty bonkers, though maybe it would have been too much.

So onto Scream 3 sometime in the near future probably. Going to be interesting to see how this turns out, given it's "weak link" status.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
I've done TV seasons in the past for the marathon, but I always include them as bonus viewing. I'll take a look and see if Channel Zero is streaming on anything I have access to.
Yup, I've seen The Hitcher, but I might watch it again as a bonus movie because I haven't seen it in ages and Hauer is amazing in it.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers! Yeah, I'm pretty sure Butcher's Block is on Shudder if you have access to that.

Now have seen Scream 2, which is actually a pretty solid follow up. It might not have quite the highs and impact of the first, but it was quite enjoyable nonetheless.

I was pretty down that Randy got the chopping block through. :( Meanwhile freaking Dewey look like he was really a goner, but he survived yet again ha ha. As for the killers, Mickey was like a more dull Stu, but Billy's mom being the main killer was bit of a cool twist. It kind of cracked me up that Sidney recognized her, like damn, would have been funny if she came by her earlier. XD

I was fine with how it ended, but the 4 killers ending would have been pretty bonkers, though maybe it would have been too much.

So onto Scream 3 sometime in the near future probably. Going to be interesting to see how this turns out, given it's "weak link" status.

Yeah, I've always been a cheerleader for Scream 1 + 2, but I couldn't get behind 3. The writing just wasn't there, too much focus on comedy and Hollywood in-jokes (Jay and Silent Bob cameo), and the big reveal was just absurd. I think I enjoyed 4 a lot more, though I can't remember much about it (haven't seen it since the theater).

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I've always been a cheerleader for Scream 1 + 2, but I couldn't get behind 3. The writing just wasn't there, too much focus on comedy and Hollywood in-jokes (Jay and Silent Bob cameo), and the big reveal was just absurd. I think I enjoyed 4 a lot more, though I can't remember much about it (haven't seen it since the theater).
In the same boat. Love the first two Scream movies

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Banana Splits was decent. Nothing special but surprisingly gory too. That final scene was all kinds of dumb though and kinda brought down a decent horror film.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Banana Splits was decent. Nothing special but surprisingly gory too. That final scene was all kinds of dumb though and kinda brought down a decent horror film.
Ah, too bad. I had high hopes for that one. Well "high" in that "Five Nights at Freddy's" is a long-standing guilty pleasure and I expected it to be a fun watch. Is it streaming anywhere?

Ready or Not was decent. I knew nothing about it at all going in and thought it was a straight-ahead "Most Dangerous Game" riff, which might have enhanced my enjoyment a bit.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Ah, too bad. I had high hopes for that one. Well "high" in that "Five Nights at Freddy's" is a long-standing guilty pleasure and I expected it to be a fun watch. Is it streaming anywhere?

Ready or Not was decent. I knew nothing about it at all going in and thought it was a straight-ahead "Most Dangerous Game" riff, which might have enhanced my enjoyment a bit.

It's streaming to rent on most video services. It's not bad and some fun stuff. The killer robot thing is very Five Nights at Freddy's but otherwise it's fairly different story. The Banana Splits are creepy so that is effective in how they gleefully kill

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Did a little Amazon Prime digging lately and found two gems.

Man VS. is about a wilderness survival TV show host like Bear Grylls heading out to survive and film for five days in the woods. He's woken up on the first night to a loud bang and then each night things start being moved or changed around him. Lots of tension and a great central performance elevate the film but the CG in it is truly terrible.

Leaving D.C. focuses entirely on a guy who buys a super remote house in the woods and starts hearing things outside late at night. It's all recordings he does to share with friends back home and can be a little slow but if you're into spooky sort of paranoia and conspiracy plots there's a lot to enjoy here despite the ridiculously low budget.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
How did horror movies with the title "The SOMETHING of WOMAN'S NAME" become so widespread? Was one of them actually good (Autopsy of Jane Doe?) and a bunch of movies copied the title format?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Unfriended featured a group of the most unlikable characters in a horror film and it ended with a bad jump scare.
I know I'm reeeeal late on this, but the jump scare at the ending of Unfriended is far from bad.

It's a neat reveal that the film was actually a single unbroken POV shot of a laptop screen for the entire movie, and a really neat way to transition out of the computer screen.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Maybe if the movie had a bigger budget, the Banana Splits could've been terrifying with special effects that reveal they're murderous animatronics like ripping their faces off to expose their robotic frames.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm reeeeal late on this, but the jump scare at the ending of Unfriended is far from bad.

It's a neat reveal that the film was actually a single unbroken POV shot of a laptop screen for the entire movie, and a really neat way to transition out of the computer screen.

That was supposed to be a reveal? I thought that was supposed to be the whole gimmick

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That was supposed to be a reveal? I thought that was supposed to be the whole gimmick
You don't know that you're watching a computer screen through the other character's eyes vs just looking at screen capture like a voyeur. I certainly didn't presume I was seeing an actual laptop screen through a character's eyes vs seeing what was on the screen.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You don't know that you're watching a computer screen through the other character's eyes vs just looking at screen capture like a voyeur. I certainly didn't presume I was seeing an actual laptop screen through a character's eyes vs seeing what was on the screen.
Ahh okay.

While the concept was interesting, the idea of a ghost straight up trolling you through Facebook and Skype kinda sucks the fear out of it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have you watched a movie called Smiley? It's a weak combination of Scream and Unfriended.
The one with all the YouTubers based on Chatroulette or some shit? Yeah. It actually reminded me of another movie called Cry Wolf. It's similar in that it has this killer who's supposedly part of an urban legend and the entire cast is genre savvy.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
You know something about the scream series just never did anything for me.

Neither did the cabin on the woods.

I just don't find meta stuff particularly interesting or entertaining.

I just dont find them to be saying anything noteworthy, and it just sucks the horror out of it.

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought four new horror blu rays last week. La lorrona, pet semetary remake, us and the prodigy.

So far, we've watched the prodigy and la laronna. Both were very scary but laronna more.

I highly recommend both.